Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Ugh, the updater keeps crashing, looks like I'm gonna return the game to amazon.

Have you checked with SE's official tech support (either by direct contact or by poking around on the official forum's tech support section)? From what you describe, it almost sounds like some sort of firewall interference or other such fixable thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
FYI:

quote:

The average waiting time for Melee DPS and Ranged DPS will now be displayed separately in the Duty Finder.

That's from the 2.25 patch notes. Waiting time for melee DPS seems pretty reasonable in my experience - usually 3-4 minutes for expert roulette. Waiting time for ranged DPS sounds like it's pretty bad. But it's not just one DPS queue, it actually prefers to match melee and ranged together whenever possible, and as a result melee DPS have a considerably shorter waiting time.

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

I don't have a game directory to copy, though.

I know, I was more just trying to say I had the same issue and could find absolutely no way to remedy it myself.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vil posted:

Have you checked with SE's official tech support (either by direct contact or by poking around on the official forum's tech support section)? From what you describe, it almost sounds like some sort of firewall interference or other such fixable thing.

Yes, as with most companies tech support is a complete joke.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Have you tried the general solutions (right click, Run As Administrator; delete the contents of Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn; uninstall and reinstall) yet?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Mega64 posted:

On the bright side, DPS queues aren't nearly as bad on 50 unless you're trying to DF EX-primals or Coil, which are generally better off done in Party Finder anyway. On the other hand, DPS queues get crazy for the dungeons close to 50.

If you're on Excalibur, join one of the goon FC's and ask people to join your party. Many of else are happy to help people out with dungeon queues, even though sometimes we do weird gimmick runs like all Arcanist/healers or whatever.

I'm on Ultros. :smith: At least I'm not planning maining anything other WHM/WAR so I won't have to deal with the queues once I get the secondary classes leveled up.

All arcanist sounds pretty goofy and fun though.

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

bonewitch posted:

I'm on Ultros. :smith: At least I'm not planning maining anything other WHM/WAR so I won't have to deal with the queues once I get the secondary classes leveled up.

All arcanist sounds pretty goofy and fun though.

What's your in-game name? I'll invite you to the linkshell. (It's pretty quiet because there's only a few of us and we tend to play at different times, but you never know, might help.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'm sorry you're opinion is so, so wrong.

BURLY BROS 4EVA

But can a burly bro pull off such a giving-zero-shits pose as his bombs carry him to the Red Rooster Stead leather bar? I THINK NOT.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

satsu posted:

What's your in-game name? I'll invite you to the linkshell. (It's pretty quiet because there's only a few of us and we tend to play at different times, but you never know, might help.)

I'm Amber Thiesaunt, though I don't know if I have access to linkshells yet.

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

bonewitch posted:

I'm Amber Thiesaunt, though I don't know if I have access to linkshells yet.

Should be able to invite you straight off. I'll keep an eye out.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hah, Lizardmen beast tribe quests final quest:

"Well, I'm not allowed to interfere with you fighting the enemy evil bad guy war leader."

"Oops! I threw this dagger out randomly and it accidentally killed the big bad guy. I'll get it right next time!"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Well,

To be fair that guy was an rear end in a top hat and totally had it coming. Besides it meant that the Ash Brothers learnt a lesson from their glorious waifus the U tribe.

Seriously they really like the U tribe.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm a PS4 Player. I always communicate. But i had the most frustrating experience yet.
I was doing Ward Up guild hest through. at first everyone killed the enemy's. I then said, We need to kill them all at once. the other 2 listened. The tank kept killing em. after 20 minutes of typing in the chat we just gave up.

it's such a huge difference when a player comes that doesn't know what to do and screws up, but listens. But a player who just does his own thing ignoring the rest of us. screws us all over.

For example, I was doing Garuda storyline. Tank didn't keep her away from the rocks and DPS didn't target feathers, we wiped. We spent the next 5 minutes talking strategy, we killed her. my other tries, after every wipe, people would just rush after her again. thinking it will works this time.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently people not talking in dungeons is enough of a problem that the developers added tutorial quests to teach you how to use the chat and auto-translate functions in patch 2.2.

They don't appear to have actually solved the problem.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Typing on the PS4 controller by default is really annoying though, since the game runs on the standard Japanese scheme of O Confirm, X Cancel, while the system defaults to X Confirm, O Cancel. Selecting chat is using the game scheme, but actually typing out messages suddenly switches them around.

Plus, yknow, typing on the PS4 on screen keyboard is pretty lame.

I am getting to know where things in the autotranslate menus are thanks to my time on the PS4! But, I would not really do any serious dungeons or anything past Stone Vigil on it really...unless I was BLM I guess. I plan to craft, gather and do lowbie stuff with it mostly. Especially since I cannot use Battleping on my PS4!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I feel like there should be a big splash screen on launch if no keyboard is connected to remind players to look at the chat log during dungeons.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Sefal posted:

I'm a PS4 Player. I always communicate. But i had the most frustrating experience yet.
I was doing Ward Up guild hest through. at first everyone killed the enemy's. I then said, We need to kill them all at once. the other 2 listened. The tank kept killing em. after 20 minutes of typing in the chat we just gave up.

it's such a huge difference when a player comes that doesn't know what to do and screws up, but listens. But a player who just does his own thing ignoring the rest of us. screws us all over.

For example, I was doing Garuda storyline. Tank didn't keep her away from the rocks and DPS didn't target feathers, we wiped. We spent the next 5 minutes talking strategy, we killed her. my other tries, after every wipe, people would just rush after her again. thinking it will works this time.

Ward up is the worst. I had a group who kept killing them and refused to listen when I repeatedly told them that they had to be killed in order. Then the genius tank goes "OH WE GOTTA KILL THEM IN ORDER GUYS." I hate people in this game sometimes.

Argeta
Apr 29, 2009
please dont play this Cooperative Online Multiplayer game without at least a cheap 10 dollar usb keyboard. thank.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Yep, as a PS4 player having a mini keyboard makes the game a thousand times more enjoyable, the onscreen kb is frankly impossible to use while running an instance.

I had the worst pubbie tank I have ever witnessed basically wipe us four times on the first boss of Brayflox normal, and when we decided to wait until we could vote abandon the previously silent tank piped up with "sry I have a life Im terrible at this game" and quit. Thankfully the replacement was a normal player with actual communication skills and we cleared the place in good time.

I think I am genuinely most thankful that I can play through most of the story quests with goons though, because I did my Haukke Manor and Titan story quests with goons and they were straight up the most fun I've had so far (up to level 40 on my whm).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Blasted through to CRP 50, discovered Tradecraft Leves for the first time, and now I'm zeroed out on those. Steady Hands II is two levels away. Anything else I should really get before I start maxing DoHes in short order?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Weaver 50. I hope you are prepared to suffer.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 6, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I was able to get into Excalibur! Fixing and patching the game took 18 hours.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Yay! I'm sure you won't be one of the people complaining when your roulette queue doesn't pop in ten minutes then. You know what real waiting is.

Alternate joke: You passed the Tanaka Test. By waiting 18 hours for an NM the game to patch you are ready for FFXI FFXIV!

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Now the true test begins. Will you join PBC, or will you make The Correct Choice and join DGKK?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Failboattootoot posted:

Weaver 50. I hope you are prepared to suffer.

I actually already have Weaver ground out to 38. As it turns out, getting better crafting gear makes the home stretch to 50 easier. And I get to make pretty clothes! (Except for the LTW AF stuff. That stuff looks amazing, and I gnash my teeth that I can only wear it as LTW.)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Oneavi posted:

Now the true test begins. Will you join PBC, or will you make The Correct Choice and join DGKK?

I can't wait until alliances are in so I can meet all the DGKK Cool Dudes

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I picked this up for PS4 on Friday, really enjoying it so far. No one was around this weekend so I played A LOT more than I normally would and got my archer to level 18. I ordered a keyboard from Amazon yesterday because I did my first real instance and trying to type on the screen sucked rear end in a top hat. Plus if I ever wanted to join a guild or do any real parties I'm not going to do that without a keyboard. Ir ead you can use the controller with the keyboard just for chat, which is pretty cool.

I've done the story quests to unlock all the main cities and have the next instance unlocked but I'm having trouble finding any quests that are my level right now. Do I need to complete Tam-Tara Deepcroft to unlock them? I wandered around the 2 other cities for a while and did a few quests but now all that's there are the level 1-3 quests (which I feel like shouldn't show up for players that don't start in those cities),

I've been throwing all my bonus points into DEX since I haven't had too many issues with dying and killing things faster with the bow seems like a good strategy. I also need to start a trade craft, not sure what I want to pick up yet though.

I'm on Lamia if anyone plays on there. In game is Lana White.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Ouhei posted:

I picked this up for PS4 on Friday, really enjoying it so far. No one was around this weekend so I played A LOT more than I normally would and got my archer to level 18. I ordered a keyboard from Amazon yesterday because I did my first real instance and trying to type on the screen sucked rear end in a top hat. Plus if I ever wanted to join a guild or do any real parties I'm not going to do that without a keyboard. Ir ead you can use the controller with the keyboard just for chat, which is pretty cool.

I've done the story quests to unlock all the main cities and have the next instance unlocked but I'm having trouble finding any quests that are my level right now. Do I need to complete Tam-Tara Deepcroft to unlock them? I wandered around the 2 other cities for a while and did a few quests but now all that's there are the level 1-3 quests (which I feel like shouldn't show up for players that don't start in those cities),

I've been throwing all my bonus points into DEX since I haven't had too many issues with dying and killing things faster with the bow seems like a good strategy. I also need to start a trade craft, not sure what I want to pick up yet though.

I'm on Lamia if anyone plays on there. In game is Lana White.

Side quests tend to unlock as you complete story quests. The rule of thumb on your first character is to always do story quests when you have them, and stop and do any FATEs that you see on the way. The story will drop you by nearly every major point in the game, and as you go through there will be little pods of side quests you can stop and do.

It usually boils down to finishing a breadcrumb "go here and talk to a guy" quest then seeing four ! Marks on the minimap all of a sudden.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ouhei posted:

They're there for when you pick up a new class in those cities (even though those quests take way longer to do than going out and killing a handful of shrews or whatever to get 10x the xp).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Mo0 posted:

Side quests tend to unlock as you complete story quests. The rule of thumb on your first character is to always do story quests when you have them, and stop and do any FATEs that you see on the way. The story will drop you by nearly every major point in the game, and as you go through there will be little pods of side quests you can stop and do.

It usually boils down to finishing a breadcrumb "go here and talk to a guy" quest then seeing four ! Marks on the minimap all of a sudden.

Ah, hopefully something opens up once I complete the instance then. How long is that one? The last one I did took under an hour I think but I know they can get kind of long.

sassassin posted:

They're there for when you pick up a new class in those cities (even though those quests take way longer to do than going out and killing a handful of shrews or whatever to get 10x the xp).

Ah, that makes sense, I forgot that choosing a new job pretty much resets your level.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've been dinking around on one of the new ps4 servers because it's loving adorable (more on this at another time maybe) and although the DF is cross server, it is plagued with dragoons and bow dragoons that pull before the tank.

I refuse to tank when that happens, for some reason healers tend to not follow suit but get really upset at the dps anyway and support my efforts. Really need to unionize the healers and get them on the same page.

The best time this happened, there was a dragoon in full myth i90 but a regular relic (loldrg) who kept pulling in that guildhest with the toad at the end (enemy strongholds?) He stopped after I said "It's obvious why you have all tomestone gear and no coil drops, you can't even do a guildhest right." I got two commendations at the end :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ouhei posted:

Sidequests unlock as you progress through story quests. However, a small batch of level 15-16 sidequests unlocked in the Aleport area when you first started doing dungeons with Sastasha (in that same area). I don't think you get any more sidequests after that until you've progressed the story past the intro dungeon trio of Sastasha, Tam-Tara, and Copperbell.

That's not counting various one-off sidequests in major cities which tend to unlock things and have no prerequisites besides level. If you see a sidequest in a city which has a level 10-15 requirement instead of a level 1-3 requirement, it's worth doing for things like aesthetician, challenge log, and dances. (Corollary: it's a lot easier to spot these as they're added in new patches, if you clear out the city of its normal level 1-3 quests. Ideally use a different level 1 job for that so the experience is actually meaningful. For example, as an archer, you'll eventually want to get pugilist - that's in Ul'dah - to level 15 so you can unlock bard at level 30. So you can get the Ul'dah baby quests off the map using your pugilist.)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Vil posted:

Sidequests unlock as you progress through story quests. However, a small batch of level 15-16 sidequests unlocked in the Aleport area when you first started doing dungeons with Sastasha (in that same area). I don't think you get any more sidequests after that until you've progressed the story past the intro dungeon trio of Sastasha, Tam-Tara, and Copperbell.

That's not counting various one-off sidequests in major cities which tend to unlock things and have no prerequisites besides level. If you see a sidequest in a city which has a level 10-15 requirement instead of a level 1-3 requirement, it's worth doing for things like aesthetician, challenge log, and dances. (Corollary: it's a lot easier to spot these as they're added in new patches, if you clear out the city of its normal level 1-3 quests. Ideally use a different level 1 job for that so the experience is actually meaningful. For example, as an archer, you'll eventually want to get pugilist - that's in Ul'dah - to level 15 so you can unlock bard at level 30. So you can get the Ul'dah baby quests off the map using your pugilist.)

I'll clear the instance asap then, just gotta make sure I have the time to wait in a queue and then for the instance itself.

I did the aesthetician and armor dye quests because I was tired of being a hodge podge of colors.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

bow dragoons

I'm going to start using this. :allears:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Gigas Mastermind in loving Copperbell Mines has bottlenecked me in this loving game like nothing else. Titan HM? Took two tries. Garuda HM? First try. Haukke, Pharos, Wanderers Palace, all of that poo poo? First try. Copperbell mines I've had to sit through four abandons now across a week.

Like I don't even know what I'm doing wrong anymore. I literally before each fight, say
-"Hi, has everyone done this before?"
-"Move up the bridge when he casts Dark Fire, stay out of the fire, burn the adds, FOCUS DOWN THE BOMBS."

Then we wipe. Then we wipe again. Then someone calls an Abandon and it passes immediately.

And it's like, should I as the tank be running ahead and grabbing all of the adds? I can't. He moves when I pull him and the bridge burns behind him. I certainly can't sit there and tomahawk mining dross and gigas all day. When I have tried that, I just get the poo poo kicked out of me and the healer can't keep up. And the bombs always wind up detonating. I just try to hold him as close to the fire as I can while leaving room for flanking.

Like, I can't clear this drat thing and I can't unlock Roulette because of it and it's really starting to bother me.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Rei_ posted:

The Gigas Mastermind in loving Copperbell Mines has bottlenecked me in this loving game like nothing else. Titan HM? Took two tries. Garuda HM? First try. Haukke, Pharos, Wanderers Palace, all of that poo poo? First try. Copperbell mines I've had to sit through four abandons now across a week.

Like I don't even know what I'm doing wrong anymore. I literally before each fight, say
-"Move up the bridge when he casts Dark Fire, stay out of the fire, burn the adds, FOCUS DOWN THE BOMBS."

Then we wipe. Then we wipe again. Then someone calls an Abandon and it passes immediately.

And it's like, should I as the tank be running ahead and grabbing all of the adds? I can't. He moves when I pull him and the bridge burns behind him. I certainly can't sit there and tomahawk mining dross and gigas all day. When I have tried that, I just get the poo poo kicked out of me and the healer can't keep up. And the bombs always wind up detonating. I just try to hold him as close to the fire as I can while leaving room for flanking.

Like, I can't clear this drat thing and I can't unlock Roulette because of it and it's really starting to bother me.

The bridge burns independently of the mastermind's location. Move yo rear end.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Ouhei posted:

Ah, hopefully something opens up once I complete the instance then. How long is that one? The last one I did took under an hour I think but I know they can get kind of long.

This might've been indirectly answered already but just about every 4 man dungeon has a 90 minute timer (and I think the hard mode ones start to have 120). This timer comes from the Monster Hunter school of "If you're getting anywhere close to this timer, something else is going wrong".

It's a long way of saying that the instances take roughly 45 minutes or so, give or take 15 in either direction depending on how geared/careful/incompetent/afk/etc. your group is.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Rei_ posted:

No, you should be grabbing the boss and pulling him roughly to where the next bit of fire will end. (Where 1, 2, and 3 are in this image). The safe thing to do is to wait until the first set of slimes is dead before doing so (it's a tight fit to move the boss without pulling the second set of slimes), but if your DPS is good they can handle both sets roughly at the same time.

As the tank, what you won't have control over is whether or not the DPS pays enough attention to kill Flambeaus. They're the real death trap of the fight. By only pulling him as far as you absolutely need to, you give DPS/healers more time to react to the adds, since they always spawn at the far end of the arena (for reference, it's not really visible in the image, it's just beyond where Dross Set 3 is) and wander over. The farther away you are from there, the more warning you get.

Oh, and just because I've seen it explode, after the second segment of Floor Lava, there are Heactoncheir Minions that show up and do a tank impression by spamming Overpower, which makes positioning a pain in the rear end. At least they don't have much HP but drat does that part get hectic.

e: God dammit I was going to merge this with my old post but forgot and now it's a doublepost.

vvv Yes! It costs $18, but it is possible to transfer servers.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 6, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just want to say I really like this game. I didn't think I would, but I'm glad I gave it a try. I'm only level 23 (about to finally get my own mount), and there's still so much more to the game! Managed to take down the first 3 dungeons just using emotes to communicate(PS4), but I definitely need to be able to talk to group mates, so I'll pick up a keyboard today.

Are server transfers a thing yet? I'm on Ultros and I want to play with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I just had a bunch of overgeared people take me through the hard-mode dungeons (specifically the ones in HM roulette) and drat, I'm pretty sure some of those are harder than the ones that are currently in expert roulette. All I remember is having no clue what was going on in copperbell since our tank decided to pull all the adds up til that point into the boss battle, so we got locked in and it started with me having no clue what was going on. I'm pretty sure some of the bombs exploded but the healer healed through/rezzed and we killed him just in time in the last section. And I remember haukke HM being annoying too, because the 2nd boss has a lot of dodging you need to take care of and the 3rd one is also a DPS check that I'm pretty sure glitched on us at one point.

Well, to be fair, we blitzed through most of those dungeons because everyone else was overgeared but I typically don't do high-level roulette for that reason.

RCarr posted:

Are server transfers a thing yet? I'm on Ultros and I want to play with goons.
You can pay $18 to transfer servers.

• Locked thread