Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

murphle posted:

Whoops. Then whatever the black-on-white Texas plates are that don't have raised letters. Those look like flat plastic poo poo. Even if they are metal.

I can't say I have any idea what you're talking about because as far as I know we've gone straight from the panoramic ones to the plain white ones with the minimal decoration. Maybe dealer ones? I've no idea.

e: it would appear I am very wrong and that the vast majority of non-passenger new plates are flat. Please feel free to call me an idiot.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

murphle posted:

Whoops. Then whatever the black-on-white Texas plates are that don't have raised letters. Those look like flat plastic poo poo. Even if they are metal.

I was disappointed when I moved here and got my plates. They're metal, yes, but they are flat and feel like the numbers will just flake off or something.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This will never, ever not be funny to me. If I felt like spending the money I'd gladly get one of those.

Connecticut recently (in the past couple of years?) changed their license plate standard from 123*456 to a six-digit alphanumeric jumble like A31562 with no dot/circle in between the six digits. I don't get home very often so it's always jarring when I see those plates and I hates it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

EightBit posted:

Plates aren't art, they serve to identify your vehicle, show that you paid the correct road tax, etc. Anything beyond that is a waste of taxpayer money.

Then you'd love the AFI plates for overseas military.

I've got two of 'em from when I lived in Italy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Midniter posted:

This will never, ever not be funny to me. If I felt like spending the money I'd gladly get one of those.

Oh man, I just bought a Miata and I'm seriously considering that...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Best License Plates. End of discussion.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nocheez posted:

Oh man, I just bought a Miata and I'm seriously considering that...

I get that you guys are 12 but shagging is actually pretty fun

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Linedance posted:

The Best License Plates. End of discussion.

Nunavut used to have those as well following their split, they stopped borrowing the NWT design a couple years ago, but the replacement is almost as awesome

Not that you're likely to ever see one in person outside of the territory, there are no roads into Nunavut, and according to Wikipedia, there's less than 900Km of roads (in an area over 2 million km2)

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I drive a CRV, but during my morning commute I got another reminder that I should have waited for the rear engined, turbocharged model.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

I get that you guys are 12 but shagging is actually pretty fun

I'm less likely to get my top slashed than if I get the Watermelon plates.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

Not that you're likely to ever see one in person outside of the territory, there are no roads into Nunavut, and according to Wikipedia, there's less than 900Km of roads (in an area over 2 million km2)

Just on Sunday I was wondering what the heck they looked like and why I'd never seen one.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

neckbeard posted:

Nunavut used to have those as well following their split, they stopped borrowing the NWT design a couple years ago, but the replacement is almost as awesome

I can't imagine why you would bother to register your vehicle unless you were taking it out of the territory.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Shampoo posted:

Mass plates are the best plates.

And the old one is even better, plus you didn't need a front then!

Every time I see the motto, I think of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jabwko6ODaE

Get off my lawn, punk.

Saw one of these in the wild the other day, first one I'd seen in maybe 30 years?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Well it's a religious thing on a state-issued license plate and those things are supposed to be separate, so they only issued them a few years before the new governor put a stop to it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

Well it's a religious thing on a state-issued license plate and those things are supposed to be separate, so they only issued them a few years before the new governor put a stop to it.

You can get an "In God We Trust" plate in South Carolina. In looking it up, the Secular Humanist of the Low Country group has been able to get an "In Reason We Trust" plate as well.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/plategallery.aspx

edit: I assume this is because these are optional plates and not the standard ones. Still, I find it interesting.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 6, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

neckbeard posted:

I really want to see a vanity plate of that with "ILL HAV"

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Indiana's plates say In God We Trust, too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Newsflash: there are religious people in the bible belt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also, "In God We Trust" has been the motto of the United States since its inception Senator McCarthy whipped up a frenzy over Godless Commies and Congress changed it to show that "GOD IS ON OUR SIDE IN THIS POLITICAL CONFLICT!" Which, y'know, has worked out sooo well for nations historically. Hence why individual states put it on the plates.

I prefer the original motto, E Pluribus Unum. Short, sweet, to the point, uncontroversial, says what we're all about, Latin. What else do you need in a motto?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fucknag posted:

Also, "In God We Trust" has been the motto of the United States since its inception Senator McCarthy whipped up a frenzy over Godless Commies and Congress changed it to show that "GOD IS ON OUR SIDE IN THIS POLITICAL CONFLICT!" Which, y'know, has worked out sooo well for nations historically. Hence why individual states put it on the plates.

I prefer the original motto, E Pluribus Unum. Short, sweet, to the point, uncontroversial, says what we're all about, Latin. What else do you need in a motto?

Fundies are in a race to the bottom to prove that they are more "pure" or whatever bullshit and came up with the idea that if you aren't grovelling at all times that you're a heathen.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Captain Trips posted:

Indiana's plates say In God We Trust, too.

Weren't those initially the standard plate and then after some backlash replaced by these:

???

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EightBit posted:

Fundies are in a race to the bottom to prove that they are more "pure" or whatever bullshit and came up with the idea that if you aren't grovelling at all times that you're a heathen.

The Orthodox Jewish community has Christians beat.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Post terrible car stuff in this thread: Your license plate sucks

So many bumperstickers. I imagine this is how those "art cars" all start off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Devyl posted:

Post terrible car stuff in this thread: Your license plate sucks

So many bumperstickers. I imagine this is how those "art cars" all start off.

Almost thought that was a sticker for :tbear:

SteiniDJ
Jun 20, 2013

I think this is supposed to be a joke. I hope this is supposed to be a joke.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I would actually drive a Camry if it was that one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Damnit, it's for sale and you didn't get the number!

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
It turned off just ahead of that light, and I was on the wrong side. Unfortunately it was slow, sounded like a turd, the tires were poo poo, and it had mismatched, banged-up front panels. I was hoping it would pull away from the light with the rears burning and the exhaust screaming black death. Still more interesting than every other Camry on the road.

PCJ-600 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 6, 2014

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It even has the custom Battleship New Jersey plate so we can keep talking about license plates!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

SteiniDJ posted:

I think this is supposed to be a joke. I hope this is supposed to be a joke.
I want to believe that the owner painted the steelies red so he could say he totally had brembos installed.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

At least they put some sort of flare over the tires that undoubtedly kick all kinds of poo poo up at people behind it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It has wheels and is therefore sort of related.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I'm not afraid of heights, and I've never had vertigo, but that picture has me terrified on his behalf. Holy poo poo.

And it looks like it's about five seconds from being in the schadenfruede thread.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oh texas :allears:

I am not against private firearm ownership per se, but this weird fetishization is the worrying part (also when a dude snaps and kills a bunch of people for no readily apparent reason)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You know that's a cannon and that that's a flag used in the Texan revolution against Mexico, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_take_it#Texas_Revolution

Here's some awful offroad hackjob poo poo! Many cases of RC Cola were consumed and much playing of banjos and gently caressing of cousins was required to bring you this quality engineering and fabrication.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Goddamn how do some of those not fall over in a stiff breeze? poo poo like that makes me glad to live in a state with yearly inspections.

Also, what's with the hate on RC Cola? It's the only good dark soda (root beers not included).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wait, what?

In all my time in Oregon and Washington, around countless lifted redneck trucks, I have never seen this. What... why?

e. I mean, is it a mud thing? Like... some advantage to keeping your rear end low and the front all high up? But... I... I don't :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think you might be reading too much into it, the guy is a loving idiot and calculated* his shock rate all wrong. (Those shocks were intended for the stock suspension geometry, which has them acting on the middle of the IFS LCA, meaning that there is roughly a 2:1 mechanical advantage on them in the stock suspension.)

Or maybe he wanted a ton of lift but not that much, and is planning on putting giant lift blocks in the rear. I'm not sure, but I'll probably see the rest of this hackjob when it's posted in the pirate4x4 hackjobs and failures thread, so I'll toss it up here too.

* did not calculate at all, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That just looks like he only had enough money to do the front lift and is still saving up for the back.