Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
SuperCobra has 2800m range against helos :stare: Maybe it's actually worth the retarded supply cost now. TY-90s will probably still beat them, but that makes a big difference. They now outrange all other helo AA missiles.

Bradleys have optics. That's an interesting change. I usually use the riflemen inside for the optics.

20rpm Zhalos is just loving nuts. That's gonna own.

RPOs got nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

loving LOL the Feibao doesn't have any crew.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Jesus, napalm infantry got nerfed real hard. The suppressed weapons not revealing units seems like a neat idea. Probably won't have any real effect in practice though.

The Tan-SAM is now basically a Crotale with 8 missiles. Might be good.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 6, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I love the nonsensical Marder buff. I bet that was some kind of "realism" thing.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Eugen mods are now sanitizing the thread. Let's see how many posts get deleted.

That Sparouw fellow is a loving child, I swear.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I was about to call him out on his bullshit (It was going to contain the phrase "a cancer on the marshal program") but they locked the thread.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

DatonKallandor posted:

I love the nonsensical Marder buff. I bet that was some kind of "realism" thing.

The Marders all have 2 top armor though, since the beginning of ALB. That's what made the German Roland so much better then the French one, that immunity to cheap cluster bombs. Prob more of a bug fix then anything.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

DatonKallandor posted:

I was about to call him out on his bullshit (It was going to contain the phrase "a cancer on the marshal program") but they locked the thread.

How long was it live for? 4 hours or something? It didn't even get seen by the US players (location not faction) before it got locked even.

Wow, this community. I honestly feel a bit sorry for Eugen.

What other games have a community this toxic, at least on the official forums. I think it compares pretty well to the blizzard forums for any of their games.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Nationalism and stupidity goes a long way to make a terrible community.

Medium tanks are only bad if you don't know how to use them properly, guys.

I hope Sparouw's posts are all gone after the mods are done.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Bad moderation is really the root of the issue.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Calm down it got re-opened. It did get stupid though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

I see buying your avatar was a wise choice :allears:

And yeah, the thread is back up everyone, have a punt.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just imagine the Eugen forums full of a bunch of guys yelling about how the Tiger was the best tank ever and Russian vehicles are made out of balsa wood.

At least this is my experience with nationalistic military nerds.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Popete posted:

I just imagine the Eugen forums full of a bunch of guys yelling about how the Tiger was the best tank ever and Russian vehicles are made out of balsa wood.

At least this is my experience with nationalistic military nerds.

Similar but there are plenty of USSR fanboys too arguing that the Soviets would have totally steamrolled World War III because they would have built [insert Red Alert-worthy retarded boondoggle prototype here] had the Berlin Wall not fallen, which should therefore be included. As if it loving matters.

Really, you get it on all sides. I remember when the Longbow was announced there were American fans complaining about how it was doomed because it had no Stinger missiles. And there are more than a few people who still bitch about the M1A2 getting nerfed to 24AP.

And holy poo poo, 4 pages gone. I guess that's only like, 40 posts over there though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Last year I sold some thinly camouflaged Wargame-inspired T80 fanfic to one of the best magazines in science fiction. The story's up today. It's a love story about a Ural driver who just wants to be a T80U :ussr:

(the ending is weirdly relevant to the ongoing metagame discussion, eugen buff tanks)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You made money thanks to this game.

Live the dream brother, live the dream.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Xerxes17 posted:

I like how the Sparouw internet defense force is now out in numbers. How dare I disregard the inane ramblings of some ~pro player~ who types like a 12 year old with brain damage. :qq:

By playing Wargames, the members of the Eugen forums community show that they possess a deep understanding of not only this game, but Real Warfare too. That attack they carried out in their last game? Just like Hannibal at Cannae, or Keith at their Warhammer guild. Your statistics are meaningless because you just can't quantify anything at their level of skill, where an intuitive understanding of strategy and tactics possessed by this master race outweighs all else. L2P. By the way, people with ranked stats should be automatically kicked from lobbies, because they are abusers.

See also: the Ace Pubbie Fallacy. Once the game Star Citizen is released in the 2020's, every pubbie that got griefed by goons in Eve Online is going to show the goons a thing or two, because pubbies innate intuitive skills at piloting space fighter aircraft will come to the fore and, compelled by the power of Christ Roberts, no unfair tricks will lay them low. Not this time.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 6, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm actually crossposting from that thread because while I was typing it I think I realized how Eugen's price philosophy up until now could result in a systematic price error across all levels, but especially the lower price points. People have talked about it with the obvious granularity problem at the low end, but that problem may have propagated throughout the entire pricing structure through a misguided focus on unit stats. It's late and I was supposed to go to bed 40 minutes ago so forgive me if this is not actually a revelation to anyone.

Hartmann posted:

Prices of T64B, BM, Leo2s and 2A4, not to even mention the lower end of the spectrum being hilariously crushed together. Availability is not going to fix this, this is just going to turn into exactly the meta we have now, except with a spam of really good tanks that are underpriced.
[/quote]

I think this deserves a direct response because it's the kind of thinking you have to let go of if you want to balance prices properly in a game with such a huge number of units with such a granular pricing scheme. At the lower end of the prices, there simply aren't that many price points to choose. Between 10 and 50 points, there are only 8 price points that can be assigned! All medium tanks have to fit in there!

But the really important thing to understand is that there is no golden rule that a better unit must cost more than a worse unit. The T-55AM series is a good example. These are marine tanks; T-55 variants that were chosen for upgrade and use in the modern marines because the better T-64 and T-72 are just too heavy for the job. In an unrestricted deck, there's no real reason they have to compete with the T-64 or T-72. They can be worse for the same cost, because their one job is to be a marine tank. If you bring a marine deck, you bring T-55AMs. If you have an unrestricted you don't because there are better choices for the same cost... Is it a disaster if the T-55AM is not competitive with the T-64 in unrestricted decks? Of course not.

But if the T-72 ends up bumped up 5 points (a 14% increase in cost) because it's better than a T-55AM and we can't have two unequal units sharing a price, is that a disaster? YES! Because we've now overpriced a bread-and-butter unit for most of REDFOR for the simple obstinate reason that it can't share a price point with an inferior tank. The T-55AM is irrelevant for 99% of multiplayer matches, and yes now the whole meta of the game has been messed up just because it "feels right" to keep the T-72 and T-55AM in different price slots. Multiply this problem across the entire medium tank range and you start to see the problem. Is a Leopard with a slightly better gun really worth 10 points more than a Leopard with a slightly worse gun, or are they only assigned those prices because better units need a higher price? And the Leopard 1A5, one of the clearest example of overpriced mediums, is its cost so high because it's really worth that much, or only because it's better than the other Leopards, so it must have a higher price? So now, we've got real pricing mistakes from the one simple mistake of believing that better units need to be balanced by higher prices, repeated out across the limited price points in the low end of the scale.

So the point is, you have to not only step back from the idea that units must be balanced by price, you have to step back from the "armory warrior" idea that units with slightly different stats need to be balanced against each other at all. Who cares if a T-62 is slightly better than a T-55, if the real difference in their value on the battlefield is almost nothing? And then, if the T-62 is a little more expensive, then the T-72 has to be a little more expensive and so on and so on, until all low end tanks are mispriced. The real solution is to step back, take a deep breath, and as you put it, accept that "the lower end of the spectrum being hilariously crushed together." Because in terms of actual value, it already is. The prices need to be squashed together to match.

Also I like his assertion that we'll have exactly the same no-tank meta, but with underpriced tanks spammed everywhere. :downs:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 6, 2014

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Last year I sold some thinly camouflaged Wargame-inspired T80 fanfic to one of the best magazines in science fiction. The story's up today. It's a love story about a Ural driver who just wants to be a T80U :ussr:

(the ending is weirdly relevant to the ongoing metagame discussion, eugen buff tanks)

Wow, that's really good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

General Battuta posted:

Please submit that story to Eugen as balance discussion.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Units with different limits costing the same

Basically yes. But it's because Eugen has no plan on deck restrictions. They put them in without thinking through what it means for balance. Just like they're trying to make Cat C/B units balanced for cost even though there's no reason they need to be - they're Cat C/B, if you're Cat A there shouldn't be a reason to take them, because you should have a Cat A unit that fills the same role better at the same price. The same is true, as you've said, for the other deck restriction types. Marine or Airborne units don't need to be just as good or cheaper than unrestricted units.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'm new to this. What does Cat A/B/C mean? :downs:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

-Anders posted:

I'm new to this. What does Cat A/B/C mean? :downs:

They're optional deck restrictions you can take that filters units out based on the year they entered service. Cat-A is the full spectrum, Cat-B is <1985 and Cat-C is <1980. Airland Battle had the same system but the categories were moved back 5 years each.

In red dragon this restriction is compensated by giving you more "activation points", or more slots in your deck.

In Airland battle, it made each card contain more units by increasing availability.

Most of the time, especially in Red Dragon, there isn't much reason to take one of these restrictions.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Basically in Red Dragon it means you can choose to not get your good units and in exchange you get to take even more lovely units. But they have to be different lovely units. In ALB it was having to take mostly lovely units but the few good old units you got more of.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shanakin posted:

They're optional deck restrictions you can take that filters units out based on the year they entered service. Cat-A is the full spectrum, Cat-B is <1985 and Cat-C is <1980. Airland Battle had the same system but the categories were moved back 5 years each.

In red dragon this restriction is compensated by giving you more "activation points", or more slots in your deck.

In Airland battle, it made each card contain more units by increasing availability.

Most of the time, especially in Red Dragon, there isn't much reason to take one of these restrictions.

In ALB, the category deck restrictions allowed for some skewy and strong decks by buffing the availability. This is especially notable for example in a NATO airspam deck where +80% availability drastically improves your air game.

In RD, the time categories are pretty much useless because AP is not very important. You can't really skew anything with AP, you just get to fill the last couple of slots of a worthless tab.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

griffor posted:

Alchenar posted:

Sparrow I'll make this really easy and do 100% of your thinking for you so all you need to do is post the replay:

Post a replay of you using medium tanks effectively in a role (either in infantry support or in tank-hunting, or in some other role you may find) where it is not immediately obvious that you would have been better off either using cheap chaff tanks or super-heavies.

better idea how bout u post a replay showing us your rad skills in this game i've seen sparrow play he is good you however i think are just a forum warrior prove to me your not before you call out other people

Man, you can't make this poo poo up. :allears:

Mukip posted:

By playing Wargames, the members of the Eugen forums community show that they possess a deep understanding of not only this game, but Real Warfare too. That attack they carried out in their last game? Just like Hannibal at Cannae, or Keith at their Warhammer guild. Your statistics are meaningless because you just can't quantify anything at their level of skill, where an intuitive understanding of strategy and tactics possessed by this master race outweighs all else. L2P. By the way, people with ranked stats should be automatically kicked from lobbies, because they are abusers.

See also: the Ace Pubbie Fallacy. Once the game Star Citizen is released in the 2020's, every pubbie that got griefed by goons in Eve Online is going to show the goons a thing or two, because pubbies innate intuitive skills at piloting space fighter aircraft will come to the fore and, compelled by the power of Christ Roberts, no unfair tricks will lay them low. Not this time.

I chuckled.

Actually, I think it's pretty undisputed that you're one of the better players too. Does your support for my post then cancel out fuckwit's opposition like matter/anti-matter?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Mukips support doesn't count because Sparrow said he has bad micro.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Shanakin posted:

Mukips support doesn't count because Sparrow said he has bad micro.

I thought the desired endstate of Wargame's design was that micro would be less important than good planning?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
IIRC I beat him in practically every ranked match throughout EE and ALB. He is buddies with a guy who started impersonating and obsessively commenting about me on the Eugen forums for some time (who was also a marshall, obs.). They are members of an unrelated French gaming forum which is probably where a lot of his supporters are coming from.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mukip posted:

IIRC I beat him in practically every ranked match throughout EE and ALB. He is buddies with a guy who started impersonating and obsessively commenting about me on the Eugen forums for some time (who was also a marshall, obs.). They are members of an unrelated French gaming forum which is probably where a lot of his supporters are coming from.

As far as I can tell they are just the vocal outpost of the ~top ranked~ cool kids club that like to give each other a reach-around whenever possible.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
So uh, what's his beef with medium tanks? I don't get it.

Is he just using this thread as an opportunity to puff up his own ego?

Maybe he just wants to keep medium tanks down so his 1337 heavy tank micro skillz remain relevant :tinfoil:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Xerxes17 posted:

As far as I can tell they are just the vocal outpost of the ~top ranked~ cool kids club that like to give each other a reach-around whenever possible.

It's particularly sad when you realize a lot of them are only highly ranked because they've played like 300 ranked games as opposed to the 55-60 Mukip played to get to the same point.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 6, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Anyone actually tried RD ranked? I heard it was pretty buggy at launch, otherwise I might have been interested getting in.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mukip posted:

You only won a game against him because your micro was so bad, that he was laughing too hard to properly command his troops. So it was kind of like Napoleon at waterloo, except with laughing instead of chronic nausea.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

sparouw posted:

Mortabis posted:

No-one cares how highly ranked you are so shut up until you can contribute a meaningful theory for how medium tanks actually are useful and don't need a rebalancing in light of the presented evidence.

Same for you, I can prove you on the field when you want ;)

God drat this sparrow dude's schtick is literally "1v1 me human being!"

e: and it's locked again

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 6, 2014

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Shanakin posted:

Anyone actually tried RD ranked? I heard it was pretty buggy at launch, otherwise I might have been interested getting in.

If it is anything like ALB ranked it's like smashing your dick with a hammer without the emotional intensity. To what I have seen, anyone who was well and truly good (Mukip, Tigga) saw that the ranked mode of this game is just unmitigated poo poo and stopped bothering. So now there's a bunch of people who derive personal fulfillment from being the best in a game mode no right thinking person gives the slightest of fucks about.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

loving lol. I was about to post that I was going to bed and given that the thread had descended to the new low of "come at me bro" arguments I was sad I was going to miss all the deleted post. But the thread got locked as I was writing it.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mortabis posted:

God drat this sparrow dude's schtick is literally "1v1 me human being!"

e: and it's locked again
You're just scared that he'll beat you and prove absolutely nothing pertaining to the context of the thread.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmfao went to bed and that thread had 3 comments. Now its amazing.

quote:

This was a good thread till sparrow showed up.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Both sparouw and spektre got 24-hour bans, laff. spektre got so mad about the excel warriors that he posted a banme.

Unfortunately though I'm pretty sure they'll win in the end, because Eugen seems to hate major redesign ideas that were not invented by themselves. There have been a lot of well-argued redesign proposals by various people (both pubbies and marshals) over the years but none of them have ever been implemented. The only time when Eugen actually seems to listen to the marshals seems to be in explicit "we want feedback on this" threads, and that's one of the major reasons as to why I quit. There just didn't seem to be any point.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread