Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

What's the general consensus on Countdown to and Final Crisis, I've normally heard good things.
Countdown = trash
Final Crisis = a smash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Okay, I thought I had that backwards. What's the general consensus on Countdown to and Final Crisis, I've normally heard good things. Except for Superboy punching reality. Of again I could be having my comic events mixed up.

I think you were thinking of the Countdown to Infinite Crisis books, which was not actually a single series but a bunch of books that were leading up to Infinite Crisis. I don't hear people ragging on those much and people seemed to like Gail Simone's Villians United. Countdown to Final Crisis was a 52 part weekly book that "led into" Final Crisis and was Dan Didio attempting to bring back the success of 52 but in something he could control.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Where on Earth did you hear good things about Countdown?
I think Hannibal Tabu liked it, but Hannibal Tabu has terrible taste.

Anyway, Countdown was awful except for a few unintentionally funny bits. Final Crisis is good but intentionally disjointed and the original TPB left out some pretty important parts of the story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The collection has Superman Beyond and Submit in the right spots. The only other thing to include would be the two issues of 'Batman' inside his head while he's captured and the 'lost chapters' which was published way later.

Didn't Superman Beyond 2 not come out till after FC was done? I just got back into comics about the time FC was wrapping up, so by the time I got to it, I could read it in the right order, but at the time it must've been crazy making.
e: It was a week before FC#7. That's a bit better. I was imagining everyone picking up the last issue and going 'What's a Mandrakk?'

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 6, 2014

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superboy punching reality is Infinite Crisis.

In few words:

*Infinite Crisis was an entertaining event meant as a follow up to COIE but one that relied too much on graphical violence. As a mere blockbuster event was pretty good

The schedule for the original issues was very screwed up, so a bunch of the art was rushed fill-in work. If you bother reading it, get a trade because the back issues will be full of crappy, rushed art. I bought the issues as they came out, and I'll always hate Infinite Crisis because of that.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

*Countdown to Final Crisis was a clusterfuck. There was zero comunication between the writers of the weekly and Morrison leading to tons of plot that went to nowhere, everything of interest happened on the tie ins and the last issues were essentially a reset button. A shame since there were some good things in there like Jason's character arc (until th end of course) and the Jokester.

It's so bad that it's difficult to even hate read; I gave up halfway through. It's such a chore that Edge&Christian couldn't even finish his weekly articles making fun of the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

*Final Crisis was all Morrison and such seen with high regard but is really hard to understand since is really meta, as any other Morrison work actually.

It also wasn't helpful that DC Editorial had a bunch of tie-ins, lead-ins, and spin-offs that all contradicted each other or were published out of sequence. Final Crisis is not an easy read, but it wasn't helped that many DC editors couldn't be bothered to keep track of what actually happened in the story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Action Man posted:

The schedule for the original issues was very screwed up, so a bunch of the art was rushed fill-in work. If you bother reading it, get a trade because the back issues will be full of crappy, rushed art. I bought the issues as they came out, and I'll always hate Infinite Crisis because of that.

They threw in a double page spread that was uncolored or something, didn't they? I remember seeing that and was blown away that they'd ship a major event book like that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Infinite Crisis was terribly rushed but it's not too bad in collected form, though I also do like the ridiculously cheesy audio play version of it they released. I don't remember anything in Infinite Crisis as bad as the colouring in Final Crisis which kept making everybody white.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

They threw in a double page spread that was uncolored or something, didn't they? I remember seeing that and was blown away that they'd ship a major event book like that.

It's good to know that DC has grown up since then. Now if they don't have a big event book finished they delay it by a few months and raise the price a dollar!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

Infinite Crisis was terribly rushed but it's not too bad in collected form, though I also do like the ridiculously cheesy audio play version of it they released. I don't remember anything in Infinite Crisis as bad as the colouring in Final Crisis which kept making everybody white.

The FC coloring was great, and fit well with the theme that DC is a poo poo company.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Codependent Poster posted:

They did. I didn't realize that they did that until after I bought issue 7 and read it in my dorm room. It's the main reason I'll always hate Infinite Crisis. I paid for a finished product, and DC actually sold me an incomplete one.

Waterhaul posted:

Infinite Crisis was terribly rushed but it's not too bad in collected form, though I also do like the ridiculously cheesy audio play version of it they released.
I already paid for Infinite Crisis once, and I'm not paying for it again. It's also not a good enough story to waste any more time on, even if I get to borrow a trade.

Waterhaul posted:

I don't remember anything in Infinite Crisis as bad as the colouring in Final Crisis which kept making everybody white.
I think I consider almost even because IC has more production problems over all, but FC has more racist production errors which are worse.

Did they ever get all the skin coloring corrected? I know that when they fixed Shilo Norman for the collected edition, they colored Sonny Sumo black. Is it correct in the Absolute Edition?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I actually quite liked Infinite Crisis even though it was dumb as gently caress. I think once you get through all the stupidity there is actually a good story there - somewhere. Final Crisis on the other hand fell apart for me at the end. It didn't help that I was following it through the floppies and I didn't buy all the tie ins so when the final issue happened I had no idea who giant space story-vampire was, or why I should really care. The fact that the final issue also told as a flashback annoyed the gently caress out of me.
The lead-ups to IC were pretty good too, the two high points being Villains United (which spawned Secret Six) and OMAC (which spawned Checkmate).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Final Crisis was completely a metaphor about comics. It throws in every lovely aspect of comics, uses them about as well as possible (which is not necessarily very well), and then says that comics need to lighten up. If you don't realize that, FC is really hard to enjoy outside a few disjointed scenes, like Green Arrow's fight with the Justifiers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Madkal posted:

I actually quite liked Infinite Crisis even though it was dumb as gently caress. I think once you get through all the stupidity there is actually a good story there - somewhere. Final Crisis on the other hand fell apart for me at the end. It didn't help that I was following it through the floppies and I didn't buy all the tie ins so when the final issue happened I had no idea who giant space story-vampire was, or why I should really care. The fact that the final issue also told as a flashback annoyed the gently caress out of me.
The lead-ups to IC were pretty good too, the two high points being Villains United (which spawned Secret Six) and OMAC (which spawned Checkmate).

The Day of Vengeance tie in was an excellent story done by Bill Willingham and would lead to the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. Shame they couldn't keep the same team with the Shadowpact follow up. Infinite Crisis wanted to be COIE sooooo hard it was laughably bad. The reasoning as to why poo poo had become so grimdark (reality punches), to the freaking just grisly violence perpetrated on D-List Teen Titans,(poor poor One Armed McGee), to killing off Superboy after all that awesome character growth, Space Goatse, GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY, Superboy Prime, Earth-2 Lois somehow supposed to be saved by Earth-2 itself (and not cause she's you know old).

The good things that came out of Infinite Crisis were 52, SBP, and Anti-Monitor being left around to play with for the Sinestro Corps War, and of course every time I whine about Infinite Crisis the amazing thing that was Edited Crisis #4 to make it all better. Also the Villains United one shot had the best setup for the Battle of Metropolis and a terrifying Doomsday that we never got to see throw down against the B-Team of superheroes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

The Day of Vengeance tie in was an excellent story done by Bill Willingham and would lead to the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. Shame they couldn't keep the same team with the Shadowpact follow up. Infinite Crisis wanted to be COIE sooooo hard it was laughably bad. The reasoning as to why poo poo had become so grimdark (reality punches), to the freaking just grisly violence perpetrated on D-List Teen Titans,(poor poor One Armed McGee), to killing off Superboy after all that awesome character growth, Space Goatse, GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY, Superboy Prime, Earth-2 Lois somehow supposed to be saved by Earth-2 itself (and not cause she's you know old).

The good things that came out of Infinite Crisis were 52, SBP, and Anti-Monitor being left around to play with for the Sinestro Corps War, and of course every time I whine about Infinite Crisis the amazing thing that was Edited Crisis #4 to make it all better. Also the Villains United one shot had the best setup for the Battle of Metropolis and a terrifying Doomsday that we never got to see throw down against the B-Team of superheroes.

Like I said the actual story of IC is stupid as gently caress but somewhere deep down there, there is a good story. I could even argue that it is as meta as a Morrison comic, but without the same execution (but seeing as Morrison loves telling the same story over and over he has lots of practice at it). We have a bunch of old timey heroes getting pissed off because all the current heroes are dark, violent, arseholes. They want things returned to a brighter happier time like when they were the heroes going off to strange planets and fighting goofy villains who were more interested in stealing all the nickels in town than raking up the highest body count. They are disappointed in the direction current heroes take, and long for a brighter future. Tell me that isn't something Morrison wouldn't have come up with now. The execution was sadly lacking though, and instead we get one of the happier heroes becoming insane because...? And in the end, the current heroes still remain grim dark (or return to that state later on because event comics don't really change the status quo that much.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

It's good to know that DC has grown up since then. Now if they don't have a big event book finished they delay it by a few months and raise the price a dollar!

Forever Evil is one of the worst big events ever. What's the biggest thing coming out of it? Dick Grayson faking his death? That series won't last and he'll be back as Nightwing before you know it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

We also got a few panels of Ultraman snorting Kryptonite.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

We also got a few panels of Ultraman snorting Kryptonite.

And all the David Finch art we can handle! :suicide:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Is there a thread for Futures End?
I am so loving glad nothing that happens in this book matters because time travel.
Spoiler for the first issue--->Because that would knock the number of gay couples in the DCU down to ZERO

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
Am I remembering correctly that the line about the Purple Death Ray! was removed from the collected edition of Infinite Crisis? Because I'd be lying if I said the Purple Death Ray! wasn't my favorite part of that story.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You're correct. Punching reality to bring people back from the dead was totally plot-relevant, but something called a Purple Death Ray was apparently too campy.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Re: Green Arrow #31

Fun issue leading into Broken. I guess the Green Arrow really IS broken. :hurr:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was pretty into seeing good ol' Stormwatch and Frankenstein's fish girlfriend taking a part in Futures End. Oh well.
And, Oh well, cool tunic'd bearded Ollie.
It's definitely following the 52 formula with disconnected plot threads and a protagonist with an AI buddy.
Nothing but glimpses of set-up so far, so I dunno... Firestorm's new uniform is pretty neat.

e: Jeff Lemire's Batman/Superman story was a bit average, sadly. Sweet plugs for both of his other books on the first page, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 7, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Futures End is hilariously bad and I am so, so, so sorry for being even remotely optimistic.

I cannot believe that nobody at legal or anything looked at that "Grifter blows away a family of three in the suburbs in their own home" sequence and went "uh..."

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

*Countdown to Final Crisis was a clusterfuck. There was zero comunication between the writers of the weekly and Morrison leading to tons of plot that went to nowhere, everything of interest happened on the tie ins and the last issues were essentially a reset button. A shame since there were some good things in there like Jason's character arc (until th end of course) and the Jokester.

Countdown also featured the Pied Piper blowing up Apokolips via the Anti-Life Equation and the power of Queen.

(This is a positive)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

d00gZ posted:

Futures End is hilariously bad and I am so, so, so sorry for being even remotely optimistic.

You learned an important lesson today and are forgiven.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

d00gZ posted:

I cannot believe that nobody at legal or anything looked at that "Grifter blows away a family of three in the suburbs in their own home" sequence and went "uh..."

The family of three was a metaphor for childhood hopes and dreams that are fueled by the best kind of comics. Grifter, being created by Jim Lee, is a metaphor for DC publishing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

d00gZ posted:

Family of three ALIEN SCUMBAGS in their suburban TERROR CELL!

That was over the top and I'm not interested yet in the daemonites thing coming into it, but I liked Terry n' A.L.F.R.E.D. and Stormwatch (assuming most of them get to escape.) I thought it was solid for a start.

e: I read both issues today and noticed a poster on the last page of #0 about an 'E2' benefit concert. Earth 2 is moving to Earth 1 next year for fuckin' sure.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 7, 2014

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Earth-2 is so good, I'm gonna hate having to see it crossover with the New 52 :smith: At least Batman Eternal is opening up more now and brought back Tim Drake.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I am honestly surprised with how Batman Eternal is turning out to be the better weekly compared to Futures End. Futures End had a-lot going for it and #1 felt like wasted potential.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So Future's End had a gay character being graphically killed, "a child" being shot in the face with a gun after witnessing her parents being graphically murdered and ends on another hero "being killed".

And this is only the first issue :getin:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Forever Evil #7 still isn't out yet, is it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waterhaul posted:

So Future's End had a gay character being graphically killed, "a child" being shot in the face with a gun after witnessing her parents being graphically murdered and ends on another hero "being killed".

So Mark Waid was right when he said it was the New 52est of New 52 books?

mango sentinel posted:

Please tell me it won't be done before Original Sin so that Marvel will have done 3 events in the time DC did one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

This is just a lead up to the ultimate New 52 announcement: DC buying Crossed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Glad to see they are toning it down.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Woah only 5 people died?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Woah only 5 people died?

I'm pretty sure the "Family" people keep bringing up were actually evil aliens. They were trying to make Grifter second guess shooting a little girl in the face so they could kill him or something.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Woah only 5 people died?

Actually all of Stormwatch "died" in an explosion but I'm sure a chunk will survive at the last minute. Apollo is the only one who has Dr. Manhattan level of skeleton revealing exploding.

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure the "Family" people keep bringing up were actually evil aliens. They were trying to make Grifter second guess shooting a little girl in the face so they could kill him or something.

They were pod people. Grifter explains that he hunts them down killing them in their homes but they never properly changed form. He murdered two "parents", slowly stalking them around the house like a horror film serial killer and ended with him shooting an evil child in the face muttering about how he'll kill them all even if everybody thinks he's crazy. I know they were "evil aliens" but the way the book shows it is really terrible.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 7, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Actually all of Stormwatch "died" in an explosion but I'm sure a chunk will survive at the last minute. Apollo is the only one who has Dr. Manhattan level of skeleton revealing exploding.

They were pod people. Grifter explains that he hunts them down killing them in their homes but they never properly changed form. He murdered two "parents", slowly stalking them around the house like a horror film serial killer and ended with him shooting an evil child in the face muttering about how he'll kill them all even if everybody thinks he's crazy. I know they were "evil aliens" but the way the book shows it is really terrible.

The child one does freak out there at the end. I do agree that it was a really dumb way to do that though. It baffles me that DC would lean into this as their FCBD book. It's so crazy!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

a gay character

He's also the one that would fly out into space to check something out :shrug:

Was this comic really outrageous?
Batman Eternal #1 killed hundreds of people just to get everyone mad at Jim Gordon, but this is unacceptable?

E: I mean, tastes are tastes. Whatever, but in the grand scheme of comics, eh.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

mango sentinel posted:

There is no Issue #7, "Forever Evil" is a metaphor for the current editorial regime and they are never, ever, going away

• Locked thread