Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Safety Dance posted:

I've heard good things about these guys: http://www.doubletakemirror.com/ . They're expensive, though.

If you want cheaper, see if you can find some DR650 or KLR650 mirrors on eBay. Do you still have the mirror mounts, or are those gone as well?
The mounts are still there, just had the mirrors taken out. The guy who sold it said the DR has a pretty universal mount that just about anything can fit in. I have no idea how correct that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's true, a huge number of Japanese bikes share the exact same thread for the mirror mounts and you'll be able to make practically anything fit.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Yamaha has one with reverse thread though, what a pain in the rear end.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My dad owns a 2001 Harley Sportster Custom with 11k miles and a bad back tire. He's offering to sell it to me at a family discount of $3k. Is this a good/bad deal? I have no idea about motorcycles aside from wanting one eventually, but this sounds like a screaming deal and I just wanted to check with you all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's not anything special of a deal, but if you decide to flip it you're likely to get most of your money back out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also probably not ideal as a first bike from a rideability/learning perspective.

tjones
May 13, 2005

The Midniter posted:

My dad owns a 2001 Harley Sportster Custom with 11k miles and a bad back tire. He's offering to sell it to me at a family discount of $3k. Is this a good/bad deal? I have no idea about motorcycles aside from wanting one eventually, but this sounds like a screaming deal and I just wanted to check with you all.

It's not a bad deal, but nothing to get excited about. I would ask if he could replace the tire, or maybe knock the price off the 3k to have it replaced. It coming from your father you are ahead of the game in that you most likely know more about the condition it is in, and whether or not it was well maintained.

Keep in mind, especially with the Harley crowd, that PO's like to lump every aftermarket item they added to the bike to the value of the bike. As a buyer (and likely a future seller), you need to consider that any add-ons rarely offer any tangible value to a bike (and can go as far as to hurt the value, depending on what has been done). Keep that in mind when buying anything with custom poo poo. Also be weary of a non-stock bike, because there is a very real chance that the PO may have cut corners or hosed something up when trying to modify the bike. When buying anything, I'll start off at fair blue book value for a bike, and work backwards if I find problems. I would not normally consider going over blue book for most situations. KBB will list a value of a bike lower than NADA. Most sellers like to quote NADA prices instead of KBB. Depends on who you talk to on which is the one to use; I use KBB for most applications.

I say this knowing that the Custom model is a OEM option for the Sportster. This is more general advice in case this is your first purchase. The reason I mentioned the above paragraph is that I see more "customized" Harleys than I do stock ones.

A 1200 is fine for a first bike if you want to go the cruiser route. The 2001 should have an EVO; they are almost bullet proof. The 1200 has better highway manners than an 883, yet is nothing crazy that you'll whiskey throttle yourself off the back. My first street bike was a 1200, and I ended up loving and riding it for three years.

tjones fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 28, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4443652220.html

is this a weird scam or something? the title and price are strange to me, i was digging around CL and there are previous posts for the same bike but with like minutely different prices, like 25 dollars less than this one etc etc.

is there some weird cl scam i don't know about?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Razzled posted:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4443652220.html

is this a weird scam or something? the title and price are strange to me, i was digging around CL and there are previous posts for the same bike but with like minutely different prices, like 25 dollars less than this one etc etc.

is there some weird cl scam i don't know about?

The pictures are literally stolen from a thread about an Ebay scam selling a CBR600 around that price

http://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/buying-pearl-white-edition-cbr600rr-headache-plzzzzz-help-74159/page2/

When in doubt, reverse GIS

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

AquaticIguana posted:

So I've been riding a Honda Elite 150 for the last year and a half and now I'm looking to upgrade to my first motorcycle. Max pricerange is around 2 grand. Is this thing a decent buy? Is there anything better in the area?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/4432026193.html

I think these can be had for cheaper. You can probably come across an older SV at the price. I just picked up a good 2001 GS500 for $750. It needed a rear tire. It's fine for cruising around town although I came from a dual sport so I feel a little cramped on it at 6'3". The advantages are that the tech is old (air/oil cooled and 2V/cylinder) and hammer reliable. Additionally, if something happens to it I'm not going to cry a river. On the other other hand they are not super exciting and for commuting I can't find poo poo to put real racks on mine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tjones posted:

I've learned from my own experiences when dealing with people, especially on craigslist, is that people are loving weird. This is amplified even more with older people who don't have much social experience when it comes to computers and the internet.

I feel like the goon-perspective on weird people is pretty sideways. What's the weird-to-normal ratio you think you run into, got any good stories?

My experiences on craigslist have been mostly-positive. I mean the guy who bought an old Honda I was driving around asked if the wheels came with it, handed me full asking price, and disappeared with the car before he could sign papers (eventually mailed stuff to him) was a little weird. But hey I got what I asked for and it sold in a day so I'm putting that one in the positive column.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

I feel like the goon-perspective on weird people is pretty sideways. What's the weird-to-normal ratio you think you run into, got any good stories?

It might just depend on what you are listing on there. Back in the day I was big into the mini truck scene, so constantly buying/selling car audio equipment or s10 parts. For every one normal person I dealt with, there would be 3 or 4 that would definitely be considered weird. One of last group of people I sold subwoofers to looked like they came straight out of the Hills Have Eyes movie and didn't say a word to me during the transaction.

tjones
May 13, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Went to buy a grill from a guy for cheap once. When I got there, he had literally hundreds of grills of all shapes and sizes, the majority of which were in a horrible state of disarray. The grill he listed, he couldn't find in the giant piles he had in his back yard. I began to leave, all the while him pitching for me to buy whatever grill I happened to be walking by at that second. It creeped me out the most of all craigslist encounters.

I've got a few more, but nothing serial killer-ish. Just awkward, inept, or plain stupid.

I would write more but I'm on my phone working over tonight and keep having to go into lockdown because of tornado warnings.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grill as in what goes on the front of your car, or grill as in a barbecue type thing? This is important.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Went with BotchedLobotomy many many years ago to get an xbox modded, or buy an xbox or something game console related. the dude lived in a place that was probably 20x15' adjoined to the back of some sort of retail establishment. There were more mannequins than xboxes in his 'house'. And IIRC he was weird.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Grill as in what goes on the front of your car, or grill as in a barbecue type thing? This is important.

Grill as in the thing you wear in your mouth, duh.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Haha. Sorry, I'm dead tired and storms are pounding the South East US right now.

BBQ grill.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Thanks for the input on that gs500, passed on it. Still looking for a first motorcycle in the 2k or less range. I wasn't really considering a ninja, but I found one that I actually like the look of.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4450965900.html

This time no mods, garage stored, seems to have been kept in good condition. What do you guys think? Is the price right?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't know if it's a screaming, grab a wad of cash and head out there tonight deal, but it is a really good price for what appears to be a really clean Ninja.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Seems like a good deal. Hope those aren't the original tires though. If they are, get him to drop the price accordingly. The oem tires weren't very good when new. At 9 years old they might kill you.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

AquaticIguana posted:

Thanks for the input on that gs500,
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4450965900.html
This time no mods...

I haven't ridden one so I'm just extrapolating from experience but the ninja is a 4 valve/cylinder motor so it going to rev much better/faster, feel faster, and be more economical than the GS500. It looks like that one has a taller windshield so If you do get on the motorway at all it's going to be MUCH nicer > 50mph.

Hm. Looks like they are both about 50hp. Ninja 0-60 is about 5 sec and the GS is about 6. Although I guess coming from a scooter this info is irrelevant! The ninja looks clean, take $1500 bucks with you and drive it home.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ninja 500 is 50ish hp, 250 is more like 35.

The Ninja 500's a little harder to find but not any more expensive than the 250, and I think it's a substantially better bike if you grab a '94 or newer. Also has the nut & screw style valve adjustment instead of shims.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Adding to what Deuce said, you really don't want a pre-94 Ninja 500. They tend to barf their rotor magnets all over the place at some point. You can retrofit a newer rotor, but it's a pain.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Chiming in with love for the Ninja 500. I just bought a new bike after having it for 4 years and almost 30k miles. Can handle freeway driving without trouble, reasonably friendly to work on, and still a blast on canyon roads.

I need to decide what to do with my 500 now... maybe I'll sell it or maybe I'll tear it apart for fun.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I like my Ninja 500 a lot. Tame enough to learn to ride well, but still enough power to give you that goofy grin once you get it rev'ed up. Might as well get it over a 250 if you're going pregen, really only reason to get a 250 is if you want the new gen, or if you're mootmoot.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

AncientTV posted:

Adding to what Deuce said, you really don't want a pre-94 Ninja 500. They tend to barf their rotor magnets all over the place at some point. You can retrofit a newer rotor, but it's a pain.

Also pre-94 transmissions like to stop finding 1st when downshifting from 2nd and will pop into neutral instead. There's some issue with the cam chain tensioner, too, but I forget what. 95 and up are good lil bikes though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

apseudonym posted:

I need to decide what to do with my 500 now... maybe I'll sell it or maybe I'll tear it apart for fun.

Track bike!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I've been looking to upgrade from my 02-Yamaha R6. A co-worker is selling a 2001 Honda CBR929RR Fireblade with 14K miles for $4,400. What do you think?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/4443503785.html

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I've just been browsing CL for a classic UJM and this is what peaked my interest:

TU250X, $2500 http://albanyga.craigslist.org/mcy/4419446312.html
Good for city, not so good for highway (I would like to be able to ride the interstate without redlining the whole time). Looks like a solid purchase, just underpowered for freeway trips.

Two UJMs and a dirtbike. https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4424748246.html
The $2000 KZ650 is really tempting; the Honda CB750 is a bit out of my price range. They both look very well kept.

Comedy option: Non-running '85 Nighthawk 650. https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4453942978.html
Guy thinks it's the starter, has put a new battery, solenoid and starter switch in it and he "had it rewired for $250". I'm a pretty drat good car mechanic, but I've got bad vibes about the rewiring job. Starter kits are apparently like, $40 and about an hour of cleaning. Still, it would be a much better idea to take the KZ in the second ad. I might consider this bike if it will push start.

I very much like the classics (not a hipster) over a modern standard. If I could have the TU250X with the DRZ400 or DR650 motor in it... :swoon:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
If it were my money I'd go with the KZ650, it looks to be in good order and back in their day they were considered the best of their range performance wise. They could easily run with the 750 and 850cc bikes, very capable of surprising riders who thought that they were "just another 650".

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Crayvex posted:

I've been looking to upgrade from my 02-Yamaha R6. A co-worker is selling a 2001 Honda CBR929RR Fireblade with 14K miles for $4,400. What do you think?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/4443503785.html

It's common knowledge that the CBRs from that era are some of the best looking sportbikes ever, so naturally you should get it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

So I've just been browsing CL for a classic UJM and this is what peaked my interest:

TU250X, $2500 http://albanyga.craigslist.org/mcy/4419446312.html
Good for city, not so good for highway (I would like to be able to ride the interstate without redlining the whole time). Looks like a solid purchase, just underpowered for freeway trips.

Two UJMs and a dirtbike. https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4424748246.html
The $2000 KZ650 is really tempting; the Honda CB750 is a bit out of my price range. They both look very well kept.

Comedy option: Non-running '85 Nighthawk 650. https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4453942978.html
Guy thinks it's the starter, has put a new battery, solenoid and starter switch in it and he "had it rewired for $250". I'm a pretty drat good car mechanic, but I've got bad vibes about the rewiring job. Starter kits are apparently like, $40 and about an hour of cleaning. Still, it would be a much better idea to take the KZ in the second ad. I might consider this bike if it will push start.

I very much like the classics (not a hipster) over a modern standard. If I could have the TU250X with the DRZ400 or DR650 motor in it... :swoon:

None of these bikes are worth half of what the guys are asking.

If you look through the thread you'll find tons of posts telling you why 'classics' make suboptimal first bikes and that you're better off getting one of the more commonly recommended ones, learning for a season, flipping it for what you paid for it and then getting something you're in love with.

It's a shame you're not a cruiser guy because your CL is (shockingly) loaded with cheap good small late-model metric cruisers. If you really wanted to, mid controls and bars would turn those into more or less a 'classic' standard like you're looking for.

E: just to be clear, 'classic' Kawis are notorious for having more engine than their frame and brakes can really handle, which is the exact opposite of what you want on a first bike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

AncientTV posted:

It's common knowledge that the CBRs from that era are some of the best looking sportbikes ever, so naturally you should get it.

I love the look. I'm curious if the price is right considering the mileage and blemishes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah he's asking too much, unless your market is particularly bereft of sportbikes. I'd say 3.5k is closer to what it should go for, if not less.

edit: I guess they go for more than I expected, here's an ad from my CL: http://ocala.craigslist.org/mcy/4398253894.html
Still shouldn't be $4.4k though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
For some reason the prices in the used market have spiked lately. That seems high for me but he might get it from someone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
In all honesty I am probably going to be picking up a carb era Ninja 250 in need of tires for $1k. I highly value all of the advice here and thank you for the no-bull answers to my myriad newbie questions.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ninja 250 in the states are all carb era.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

For some reason the prices in the used market have spiked lately. That seems high for me but he might get it from someone.

It's finally summertime after an amazingly long winter in most parts of the country. Maybe that has something to do with it?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm brainstorming on replacing my 93 FZR600 with something more contemporary. Qualifications: hopefully not too much older than 10 years or can be found in good shape without a lot of overhaul needed; under 5k or so; 90ish+ HP; sport-oriented suspension/brakes/etc; and most importantly doesn't look like an insect or a Transformer.

Any ideas? I love the late 80s/early 90s designs but am just tired of dealing with the issues of old bikes and am interested in more contemporary technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Go for an FZ6! I just got one and it's amazingly comfortable, 96HP I4 (detuned R6 Motor), 4-piston dual caliper brembos, fuel injection (best part imo),looks nice, super loving quick, and cheap. I got a mint 2007 for $3,200 - and I hear the reliability is excellent.

Alternative if you want sportier just go for an R6. If you want comfort everyone says the CBR six hundred DOUBLE R is the most comfortable super sport.