Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Baha. Big Finish posted a photo of their latest script reading.

Wow, Nicola Bryant still looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Something awful's reaction: "Ugh, another WHITE MALE!"

I will never understand why you keep on bringing up that you're an idiot, completely unprompted.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I will never understand why you keep on bringing up that you're an idiot, completely unprompted.

Good posting is a totally dead art form, don't you know?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Classic Doctor Who is way better than the new poo poo. It all went downhill when Matt Smith came on as the 3rd Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The best Doctor ever was David Morrissey.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I prefer when it was just Peter Cushing, his two granddaughters and a bumbling policeman.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CobiWann posted:

The best Doctor ever was David Morrissey.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't really understand why you people like Craig Ferguson so much, from what I've seen of him he isn't very funny.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

But he likes something I like :confused:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

marktheando posted:

I don't really understand why you people like Craig Ferguson so much, from what I've seen of him he isn't very funny.

His talk show could be kind of hit-or-miss in my opinion, but if you've got Netflix you should try his stand up specials. He tells a single joke over the course of an hour, and it's both brilliant and hilarious.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

But he likes something I like :confused:

Oh, right. I'll get back to listening to my Ian Levine songs.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Harsh, especially when that was an actual, direct quote from the doctor who thread when capaldi was announced.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Harsh, especially when that was an actual, direct quote from the doctor who thread when capaldi was announced.

Just to be clear, you have literally said that if a woman or person of color were ever cast in the role, you would be "worried that the only got the part because they weren't a white male," hence the fact that each time that you bring this up, you remind the entire thread that you have really awful opinions that are worthy of our derision. :)

edit: These were your exact words, to be clear:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Im not opposed to it that much, but im worried i couldnt shake the feeling in the back of my mind that "This actor is good, but was chosen specifically to not be a white male"

By now, everyone would have forgotten about this buffoonery if you were not absolutely keen on reminding them at absolutely every available opportunity.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

This joke isn't funny anymore.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Just to be clear, you have literally said that if a woman or person of color were ever cast in the role, you would be "worried that the only got the part because they weren't a white male," hence the fact that each time that you bring this up, you remind the entire thread that you are pretty much shitposting just to see the reaction. :)

Fixed that for ya. :v:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CobiWann posted:

I agree.

It's hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Croatoan posted:

Classic Doctor Who is way better than the new poo poo. It all went downhill when Matt Smith came on as the 3rd Doctor.

:golfclap:

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

CobiWann posted:

:golfclap:

I will never not appreciate a good Smiths joke.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Just listened to Night Thoughts, a Seven/Ace/Hex story. Not sure if I liked it or not... that was an odd one. A little hard to follow too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone know if they just reduced prices for subscriptions beyond story 50? Last time I looked, I could have sworn they were about $150 for the 12 months, but they're suddenly down to almost 2/3rds of that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

People were posting about a sale for 51-100, is that it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People were posting about a sale for 51-100, is that it

Maybe, but I thought that was a one day sale!

You'd think they'd note that sort of thing on the site, but then again, it's like four guys running it and maybe they just didn't think of it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cruel Rose posted:

Just listened to Night Thoughts, a Seven/Ace/Hex story. Not sure if I liked it or not... that was an odd one. A little hard to follow too.

It was originally conceived as a TV story for Seven and Ace, so the original concept was very visual. That might have something to do with it. It's very Ghost Light.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe, but I thought that was a one day sale!

You'd think they'd note that sort of thing on the site, but then again, it's like four guys running it and maybe they just didn't think of it.

They reduced the prices of their main range subscriptions a couple a months ago.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is this a joke or just a typo of Lethbridge-Stewart?

Typo. I wrote that at midnight local and then went right to bed without an editing pass. poo poo happens. :shrug:

Anyway, I listened to Jubilee. Strong story. Of course, knowing as I did that that it was the story that the Eccleston episode Dalek was based on I had some idea of what was involved. But not everything. The degree to which humanity had devolved into cut-rate Daleks themselves, as well as the prisoner Dalek's recognition that even total victory would lead to an empty universe with only one Dalek left alive in it was pretty powerful. When the 1903 Daleks appeared, it was surprising to be able to tell the Daleks apart by voice alone which was quite an achievement! Baker was impressive as well, being able to run the gamut from confused, angry, terrified, and even resigned to death as the 1903 Doctor. Maggie Stables gets the Rose role of sympathizing with the Dalek and does it well. The guest cast does their job well, and unlike some of the other stories I've listened to, even the really good ones like The Chimes at Midnight, Jubilee really feels like a big and wide open adventure with a cast of thousands.

Which isn't to say that everything is prefect. I quibble with some of the writing, and especially wonder what the point of the 1903 Doctor was is if the Dalek was just going to blast him before the 2003 Doctor ever even finds out about him. I was execpting Colin vs Colin, dammit! Yes, it has an effect on Evelyn, and Colin does a great job with it, but even so it didn't have the impact it might have.

Quibbles aside, though, this story affected me more than I thought it would. It could be childhood trauma, but the sound of a Dalek blaster made me flinch the first time I heard it in the drama. They do a good job making the Daleks terrifying again, and that's quite a feat after (at the time of the recording) forty years of The Doctor vs Daleks. It also made me uncomfortable in many places, and I paused a few times to catch my breath. I don't do that for many stories, audio or televised, and that's the mark of a powerful story indeed.

Next up, the last Big Finish I've got until I get paid next, The Kingmaker!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Quibbles aside, though, this story affected me more than I thought it would. It could be childhood trauma, but the sound of a Dalek blaster made me flinch the first time I heard it in the drama. They do a good job making the Daleks terrifying again, and that's quite a feat after (at the time of the recording) forty years of The Doctor vs Daleks. It also made me uncomfortable in many places, and I paused a few times to catch my breath. I don't do that for many stories, audio or televised, and that's the mark of a powerful story indeed.

That's the amazing thing about Shearman in my opinion, is that in a story with singing Daleks and an obvious, overblown James Bond parody, he manages to leave you feeling unsettled. It's a really traditional Doctor Who dystopia in a lot of ways, but because he finds reasons for it to be as overblown and simple as it is, it becomes extremely uncomfortable. Instead of trying to make the Daleks real, he finds a believable reason for their unreality, if that makes sense.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 6, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

[/spoilers]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heh, whoops :sweatdrop:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Bring back the Ralstan Warrior Robot from The Five Doctors!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Bring back the Ralstan Warrior Robot from The Five Doctors!

Raston! And yes, do that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

marktheando posted:

Raston! And yes, do that.

Sorry, couldn’t hear the name properly with this drat horn going off all the time…

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
So Sean Pertwee is playing Alfred in that silly Batman prequel series...

I know he doesn't want to play his dad's role, but gently caress it, just let him take over after Capaldi because goddamn

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GODDAMMIT SPOONFLOWER :argh:

You're giving that nice man in Erie, PA (and, by extension, me) a goddamn ulcer with this "we don't feel like sending you the lining and tartan patterns just now" nonsense.

Why must THE COAT be so perpetually just beyond my reach?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

To be honest it's a bit weird so there's that

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Admittedly if I was inclined to get a Doctor Who costume of any kind I would absolutely get something that hideous

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Admittedly if I was inclined to get a Doctor Who costume of any kind I would absolutely get something that hideous

Hideous? Hideous? HIDEOUS!?

You may lack the sharpened aesthetic sense to properly appreciate its precise design sensibilities, but that doesn't excuse passing such uninformed and inaccurate judgement upon what is, I assure you, the very height of sartorial elegance in more... advanced cultures than yours.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

Hideous? Hideous? HIDEOUS!?

You may lack the sharpened aesthetic sense to properly appreciate its precise design sensibilities, but that doesn't excuse passing such uninformed and inaccurate judgement upon what is, I assure you, the very height of sartorial elegance in more... advanced cultures than yours.

You'll be glad to know that when I visited the Doctor Who Exhibit a few weeks back my girlfriend who really doesn't give a gently caress about the show outside of it being her boyfriends obsession immediately fell in love with that outfit more than any other Doctors. It was her favorite exhibit piece by far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the patchwork nature of it probably plays better in person than on film, which might be why they didn't realise how negative the response would be until after.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It also looks considerably better in HD-quality than it does on the often-muddy video and film used at the time. It's very crisp in person, but the nice tartan patterns render down into an ugly smudge under less-than-ideal filming conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why spend all that money when you could get a costume from Ark in Space for the cost of some green bubble wrap?

Or I guess get an enormous green ball and pretend to be a Rutan, but that's a little trickier to turn into a costume.

• Locked thread