Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait. I thought earthquakes were caused by tectonic shifts, surely fracking can't cause the Earth's crust itself to shift.

Earthquakes are caused when one part of the crust is trying to move but it gets stuck on another part and energy builds up until it breaks free and suddenly moves into another position. The changes fracking makes to the underground environment can change stress patterns inside the rock and affect this process even though it isn't changing how tectonic forces are moving the plates.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait. I thought earthquakes were caused by tectonic shifts, surely fracking can't cause the Earth's crust itself to shift.

"Earth quakes" are caused by the ground moving. This can be caused by tectonic plates, a nuclear bomb going off or similarly large explosion, and land slide or anything else. The entire crust isn't moving, think of it more like a sink hole opening up or the ground settling.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Amergin posted:

This is part of the reason why I would try and adjust things to make firing employees easier and encourage a more "meritocratic" system. Would it be truly meritocratic? Of course not. But if you can reward Federal employees for effort and curb the number of employees down to those who are most effective, possibly boost their pay, I would hope things would quicken.

So I frequently hear the "make it easier to fire federal employees" line from people who want the government to be smaller. One of the things I've never understood about the folks who complain about department X or the bureau of Y is why they don't seem to ask themselves why these organizations exist in the first place.

We created each and every government bureau, department, and agency to deal with problems that arose and the private sector was either unwilling or unable to deal with. They all exist for a reason. This is not to say that they can't do those jobs better or more efficiently perhaps, but if you look into the impetus for the creation of each agency you'll usually find a problem that was big enough to justify federal intervention.

It's the same with the process that is involved with firing federal workers. The (admittedly lengthy and pretty arduous) process for firing federal employees was created for a reason: to protect federal employees from politics. To prevent the wanton hiring and firing of federal employees as political favors or retribution, we made it necessary for managers to have very well documented reasons for firing someone and gave employees the right to appeal that decision.

So if you want to make it easier to fire federal employees, you have to also come up with a better policy to insulate employees from widespread hirings and firings every 4 years.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that guy's reputation staked on finding something, to the point where he would make poo poo up?
If he's not a complete idiot - odds are high - he can just write his own narrative of what happened, because literally no one in his target demographic will be watching the entirety of the committee hearings.

GOPers tried convincing people they killed Obamacare during the debt stand-off.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Amergin posted:

But (and I know this is a horrible analogy) my experience in working in businesses large and small is that, yes you will always have inefficiencies, but in larger companies with more siloed employees and responsibility distributed wider, things are less efficient. Smaller companies, smaller pool of employees, more hats worn by everyone, it's more stressful BUT poo poo gets done quickly.
poo poo gets done quickly when everybody is on top of their game-- I've worked in a few small businesses, and those things can be fragile, even just organizationally. One guy falling, either due to succumbing to the stress or falling ill or mom/son/nephew died/was arrested/escaped from the facility, and those logjams can build up pretty quick while the role only he did is left vacant.

My dad, by contrast, works for the hospital system of a local big university. The CIO quit abruptly and my dad's direct superior has fallen off the face of the earth. Nonetheless, operations and work have continued without interruption. The bureaucratic structure kept everything running while the med center hustled to get a new CIO, and my dad's been getting direction from both his (ex-)boss' boss and from what filed paperwork his boss left behind, which combined together was enough to provide guidance on what to do for the foreseeable future. The bureaucracy is sometimes a pain, but it can keep everything cohesive when things get shaky, too.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Any time bits of earth move enough to register, that's an earthquake, basically. Mostly that happens along plate boundaries, yeah, but it's not limited to them. Destabilize natural geologic formations by fracking then pump all the oil/gas out and poo poo's probably going to shift around a bit as it all resettles, even if you've pumped some sort of filler back in.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

But (and I know this is a horrible analogy) my experience in working in businesses large and small is that, yes you will always have inefficiencies, but in larger companies with more siloed employees and responsibility distributed wider, things are less efficient. Smaller companies, smaller pool of employees, more hats worn by everyone, it's more stressful BUT poo poo gets done quickly.

You seem to realize this already, but your business experience is worthless when it comes to government. You've been propagandized by generations of Reaganite corporate raiders who benefit from the efficiency and infrastructure government provides, and now have made their fortunes so are happy to destroy the country just because it's fun to do and means lower taxes for them. There's nothing else to it, just psychos who you believe for some reason.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

cams posted:

Guys some really important footage coming out of the correspondent's dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5tjfpKyac

This is seriously the best thing ever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alter Ego posted:

So Kerry is telling Congress to take their subpoena and shove it.

I fully expect contempt of Congress charges. What happens then?

If Issa knew about the trip prior to the subpeona then I'm on the gently caress-Issa side of this.
If Kerry schedule this trip in spite of Issa then gently caress the both of them.
If Planning trips to foreign countries actually involves a lot of planning and Kerry made legitimate efforts to perhaps go on a different day to Issa's which-hunt then we're back to just hopping Issa get's hosed here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't support kids being allowed to choose which public school they want to attend? It seems like a really great idea and I'm surprised that my state (NC) is actually going through with it.

It seems like some Republicans are for it and some against. I can see why many would be against it I can already see the letters to the editor: "You mean some inner city thug will be able to go to school with my daughter? We moved out here to get away from all that!"

That plan died in committee. The proposal was an end run around the Wake County school board after the segregationist fiasco in 2010, along with a bill from last session giving the state legislature the power to redraw board districts in the county to reverse the current 8-1 dem majority.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SedanChair posted:

You seem to realize this already, but your business experience is worthless when it comes to government. You've been propagandized by generations of Reaganite corporate raiders who benefit from the efficiency and infrastructure government provides, and now have made their fortunes so are happy to destroy the country just because it's fun to do and means lower taxes for them. There's nothing else to it, just psychos who you believe for some reason.

The public sector is one of the last bastions of organized labor. "Making it easier to fire government workers" is imo mostly just a way to gut unions. Same idea for the efficiency of privitization of government fucntions. The key efficiency is to hire non-union workers for lower wages and no benefits with a side benefit of being legally allowed to skim off the top.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Amergin posted:

As for what the smaller government would be like... to be vague, let's start with cuts to public education administration costs and (administration) personnel, cuts to military expenditures, a weening off of Social Security/slow wiping out of Social Security, a simplification of our tax system (vague soundbytes!), cuts/revamping of disability benefits and cuts to unemployment while redirecting those funds to SNAP.
Also cuts to government personnel while making it easier to fire government employees in an attempt at making government employment slightly more meritocratic.

Curious about your social security idea: what happens after weaning off? Because private charity didn't cut poverty rates among elderly down to ~9%. Before SS was enacted, the elderly had a poverty rate of 35%. Inequality is worse now than in the sixties, wealth distribution is even worse than the great depression. It's not a safe bet to count on everyone having a private retirement account.

You've been pretty vague, are you suggesting a GMI for all, or military-style housing stipends for old people, or just cutting the safety net entirely? Food aid is great, but it's not going to protect you from homelessness the way SS can.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=4037
http://www.nber.org/bah/summer04/w10466.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HootTheOwl posted:

If Issa knew about the trip prior to the subpeona then I'm on the gently caress-Issa side of this.
If Kerry schedule this trip in spite of Issa then gently caress the both of them.
If Planning trips to foreign countries actually involves a lot of planning and Kerry made legitimate efforts to perhaps go on a different day to Issa's which-hunt then we're back to just hopping Issa get's hosed here.
It is probably #3, these are not exactly the Normandy invasion but there's a lot of logistics involved. Kerry has staff, aides, probably secret service, etc.

Also, it seems this entire thing is payback for when they tried to subpoena Rice in 2007! Just like how all this scandal hunting is an attempt to get back for Nixon! Ah, the politics of revenge.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AhhYes posted:

It's the same with the process that is involved with firing federal workers. The (admittedly lengthy and pretty arduous) process for firing federal employees was created for a reason: to protect federal employees from politics. To prevent the wanton hiring and firing of federal employees as political favors or retribution, we made it necessary for managers to have very well documented reasons for firing someone and gave employees the right to appeal that decision.

So if you want to make it easier to fire federal employees, you have to also come up with a better policy to insulate employees from widespread hirings and firings every 4 years.

This cannot be emphasized enough. It's difficult to fire and replace government employees because it absolutely has to be, or else you end up with endemic political patronage on a scale that would make Rick Perry start masturbating in public. Republicans took congress? Well boy howdy boys, time to fire the entire EPA and replace them all with oil and coal company shills who will suddenly have no problems with West Virginia sinking into a small ocean of toxic chemical runoff.

This is what causes steam to start shooting out of my ears whenever I have to deal with a dumb relative whining about evil teachers and their unions and tenure and why can't we just throw the bums out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amergin posted:

Uh no, I specialize in efficiency and it's basically a proven fact that specialized workers do activities better and faster than a generalist. The key point though is that typically you need a certain scale to make them worth their money (i.e., you don't need a separate IT guy and a "database admin" if you're only five people, but you do if you're 500 people).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

Harf also pointed out that during the Bush administration, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and Issa himself said the secretary of state shouldn't be subpoenaed to appear before a committee. She cited a quote from Boehner in 2007, when he complained about an attempt to subpoena then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to testify at a congresssional committee about the Iraq war.

Boehner called the the congressional hearing a "partisan show trial [that] is a waste of time and taxpayer dollars."

Harf noted that Boehner said, "By subpoenaing the Secretary of State, Democrats have revealed how beholden they are to leftwing activist groups while stealing the Secretary's time away from critical diplomatic missions."

Best part of the article. Of course none of the turds will use this to bitch about it won't remember the same assholes complaining when THEIR person got called. Of course BENGHAZI is more important than both the Iraq war and the original 9/11 combined so that's the difference here.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HootTheOwl posted:

To setup and coordinate security details alone I know for the president trips are usually scheduled about 3 months in advance, so for the sec state I would imagine that his trips would be scheduled anywhere between 30-60 days out.

So Issa either knew about the trip but is playing politics, or he didn't give a poo poo about what Kerry was doing and wanted his show trial to play politics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

So Kerry is telling Congress to take their subpoena and shove it.

I fully expect contempt of Congress charges. What happens then?

Same thing that happened when they voted for contempt charges against Holder.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Same thing that happened when they voted for contempt charges against Holder.

...Nothing?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

...Nothing?

I believe there was a Fox News Alert. That's not nothing!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

I live in Utah. I could vote for a ham sandwich and it wouldn't matter unless said sandwich has an -R after its name, in which case it will be elected. Also here Democrats are third party, after "absolutely loving crazy tea party Republican" aka Mike Lee, and "really right wing but less goddamn crazy Republican" aka Jon Huntsman.

Is Huntsman really less crazy? All I remember from the presidential primaries is that he was exceptionally polite. His policy proposals were more extreme than Romney's, at least in part.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with all of that but for now it seems like a small step in the right direction.

It's one of the stupidest ideas to come out of one of the historically stupidest legislatures. NC schools with few exceptions are organized at the county level- the bill is about letting kids from poorer counties go to schools in much richer neighboring counties like from Johnston to Wake or Alamance to Orange. All it does is screw over the poorer places by removing funding since it's determined on a per-pupil basis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Technically, if Congress votes to hold someone in criminal contempt, the Attorney General is supposed to empanel a grand jury to decide whether to bring charges, but for some strange reason the AG decided not to do that following the 2012 vote to hold Holder in contempt.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

It's one of the stupidest ideas to come out of one of the historically stupidest legislatures. NC schools with few exceptions are organized at the county level- the bill is about letting kids from poorer counties go to schools in much richer neighboring counties like from Johnston to Wake or Alamance to Orange. All it does is screw over the poorer places by removing funding since it's determined on a per-pupil basis.

You're just mad that kids from Murphy have the chance to attend schools in Manteo, thus disintegrating the family unit by spending seventeen hours a day on the bus. You must be a proponent of homeschooling to ignore the luxurious free transit in that generous proposal, nobody else would complai aaaaargh gently caress

God, I hate our state government.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

sweart gliwere posted:

Is Huntsman really less crazy? All I remember from the presidential primaries is that he was exceptionally polite. His policy proposals were more extreme than Romney's, at least in part.

That was Huntsman whole charm and why people to this day will still say they'd have voted for him over Obama had Huntsman made it past the primaries. The dude's a total loon, he just has the good graces to cover that poo poo up with an attractive smile and polite tone.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Huntsman would have fallen prey to the same traps Romney did--saying stupid poo poo to get people to like you in the primaries, only to walk right into the Obama buzzsaw in the general when all your stupid statements come back to haunt you.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

You're just mad that kids from Murphy have the chance to attend schools in Manteo, thus disintegrating the family unit by spending seventeen hours a day on the bus. You must be a proponent of homeschooling to ignore the luxurious free transit in that generous proposal, nobody else would complai aaaaargh gently caress

God, I hate our state government.

Hey now Mayor McCheese just put up the governor's helicopter on ebay, so maybe one lucky ducky family will get a new school bus.

Alter Ego posted:

Huntsman would have fallen prey to the same traps Romney did--saying stupid poo poo to get people to like you in the primaries, only to walk right into the Obama buzzsaw in the general when all your stupid statements come back to haunt you.

Except he never said anything remarkably stupid, comparatively speaking. You had to actually dig into his stated policy positions to find the turd-filed core.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 6, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

comes along bort posted:

Hey now Mayor McCheese just put up the governor's helicopter on ebay, so maybe one lucky ducky family will get a new school bus.

Except he never said anything remarkably stupid, comparatively speaking. You had to actually dig into his stated policy positions to find the turd-filed core.
But that meant you could feel good about voting for him! The awfulness wasn't on display - you wouldn't have to admit that you are ideologically a moderate Democrat now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

comes along bort posted:

I dunno, I'd call "EPA reign of terror" pretty stupid. But yeah also his stated policies, eliminating all corporate and capital gains taxes, etc. And though I guess he was polite and kind of photogenic, he kind of came off as an aloof turd at times. I never really saw the appeal.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I dunno, I'd call "EPA reign of terror" pretty stupid.

Haha, no fuckin way really? Must've forgotten about that from the five minutes Arkane was on the campaign trail.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Haha, no fuckin way really? Must've forgotten about that from the five minutes Arkane was on the campaign trail.

He said it during his last debate before he realized Arkane's last monthly check bounced, and his support dried up. Arkane had spent all his money buying goons tickets to see Waiting for Superman.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The problem with the 2012 Huntsman campaign is that anyone who wanted to vote for (or more importantly donate to) a business friendly Mormon ex-Governor who spoke a foreign language had another option in the race who was much more likely to win.

The problem with a future Huntsman campaign is that the 2012 version said things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5wM7DK_3ik

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

comes along bort posted:

The fact that he didn't say anything memorably stupid out loud and the fact that he didn't manage to win the nomination might have a link.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

comes along bort posted:

He didn't last long enough to require it. If there had been Huntsmentum on Super Tuesday, you can bet that his campaign would have started pushing him farther right--and that makes for some serious comedy gold. He'd have ended up on stage more times with the Seven Dwarves, too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I live in a massive blue state (Illinois) but it is not the best thing in the world. It seems like we are behind even some red states. Simply living in a blue state does not remove the stain of corruption.

That's because Illinois would be red as poo poo if it weren't for Chicago.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ofaloaf posted:

poo poo gets done quickly when everybody is on top of their game-- I've worked in a few small businesses, and those things can be fragile, even just organizationally. One guy falling, either due to succumbing to the stress or falling ill or mom/son/nephew died/was arrested/escaped from the facility, and those logjams can build up pretty quick while the role only he did is left vacant.

My dad, by contrast, works for the hospital system of a local big university. The CIO quit abruptly and my dad's direct superior has fallen off the face of the earth. Nonetheless, operations and work have continued without interruption. The bureaucratic structure kept everything running while the med center hustled to get a new CIO, and my dad's been getting direction from both his (ex-)boss' boss and from what filed paperwork his boss left behind, which combined together was enough to provide guidance on what to do for the foreseeable future. The bureaucracy is sometimes a pain, but it can keep everything cohesive when things get shaky, too.

Not to mention the magic that is the small, family owned business.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The problem with the 2012 Huntsman campaign is that anyone who wanted to vote for (or more importantly donate to) a business friendly Mormon ex-Governor who spoke a foreign language had another option in the race who was much more likely to win.

The problem with a future Huntsman campaign is that the 2012 version said things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5wM7DK_3ik
On the other hand, who knows the expiration date on a ticket to ride.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stanos posted:

That's because Illinois would be red as poo poo if it weren't for Chicago.

The small-folk of Chicago are most to blame for, well everything. The Republicans need to make a comeback in Chicago, and clean up that murderous mess. So that Illinois can have responsible governorship again, and not crack pot Democrats who build useless gardens.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

On the other hand, who knows the expiration date on a ticket to ride.

It expires as soon as you Join The Hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

sweart gliwere posted:

Curious about your social security idea: what happens after weaning off? Because private charity didn't cut poverty rates among elderly down to ~9%. Before SS was enacted, the elderly had a poverty rate of 35%. Inequality is worse now than in the sixties, wealth distribution is even worse than the great depression. It's not a safe bet to count on everyone having a private retirement account.

You've been pretty vague, are you suggesting a GMI for all, or military-style housing stipends for old people, or just cutting the safety net entirely? Food aid is great, but it's not going to protect you from homelessness the way SS can.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=4037
http://www.nber.org/bah/summer04/w10466.html

1) Create a mandatory personal finance curriculum spanning grades 9-11/12 (which I admit would be difficult to fit in with all the :siren: STEM :siren: focus these days).
2) Focus on 401ks.
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

But honestly I don't think it's the government's role to "protect you from homelessness." At the very least I would raise the retirement age and attempt at making the disability benefits more strict. But I don't think the government should be in the business of helping people save money, rather it should focus more on educating folks on how to save money and let them have at it.

computer parts posted:

Uh no, I specialize in efficiency and it's basically a proven fact that specialized workers do activities better and faster than a generalist. The key point though is that typically you need a certain scale to make them worth their money (i.e., you don't need a separate IT guy and a "database admin" if you're only five people, but you do if you're 500 people).

Great! So if it's a "proven fact" that, taking communication and logistics into account, the more people you have in a government agency the more efficient it is, can I see some stats to back that up?

AhhYes posted:

So here's what I don't understand: People get fired in the private sector over pettiness and politics all the time. It's not easy, but it happens.

I can't imagine that there's no middle ground here. Government agencies aren't able to reward based on merit, effort and quality of work rather than time spent on the job? Government agencies aren't able to quicken the firing process while still making it based on a lack of effort or quality of work while attempting to shield employees from politics?

I don't even understand how the "wanton hiring and firing of federal employees as political favors" would work - again, you need evidence to fire someone. I don't mean that government employees should be droppable for whatever reason. Take the appeal process away and have a third party, non-partisan committee review the documentation of reasons for the firing. There's got to be some middle ground here but everyone seems to take the idea of "make it easier to fire federal employees" and their immediate reaction is "THEN EVERYONE WILL BE FIRED EVERY 4 YEARS AND POLITICS WILL RULE THE FEDERAL HR LANDSCAPE!!!"

• Locked thread