Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Got Haggis? posted:

which online practice tests do you think are good? I'm basically a DevOps dude that works mostly in Debian/Ubuntu with a few CentOS servers and have been thinking about getting the RHCSA cert (even though I focus on servers and not desktops)

i'm basically self taught - and after a phone call from Google about a possible job, have come to the realization that I know nothing. Google starting asking me questions about "inodes" and I was like....I have no idea what that is (obviously after looking into it after the question, I understand - I had just not come across that term before...which is pretty sad, heh)

I mean, coverage of basic filesystem stuff is part of the RHCSA, but the RH certs are much more practical than theoretical.

Google's interviewers are particularly bad about this stuff, but "what is an inode" is a pretty common question.

There's no way, short of experience and digging to fix broken stuff, to really know the ins and outs of most parts of the system. And realistically, you have no reason to know it at the RHCSA level.

But the Linux VFS architecture needs to know 4 things, dentry, inode, vfsmount, and superblock.

I don't want to go into data structures 101, but you can read this stuff yourself if you know C.

dentrys are, broadly, file and directories. It's really just a directory entry (everything is a file, remember), with directories being special instances of files. Though from the kernel's perspective, directories are only special insofar as they have dentry children. So when you look up a file, the kernel says (simplified):

"find the vfsmount for /, which will point at the dentry in the superblock of /, then find dentry of the child named 'foo'"
"check if 'foo' is in vfsmount, and if so, replace vfsmount with it and get the new superblock (in case /foo is actually a mounted filesystem)'
"if not, look for foo->bar and get its dentry. If it has no children, it's a file, so create a new file object which maps to the dentry and its vfsmount"

Every dentry includes inode information, which basically says "here's everything you need to know about this, where you can find it on disk, etc..."

I shamelessly stole this, but pictures help:

(This is what /proc/$pid/fd is addressing)

The inode contains all the file information that you can see with `stat` (and ls, which is essentially a nicely-formatted mass stat), except the filename, which is actually part of the dentry.

Again, though, the RHCSA won't really teach you any of this stuff. The RHCE will teach you some, I think (I never actually bothered taking the courses and jumped straight to the exams). Read this, and the rest of the series also looks pretty complete.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
hey, thanks for that information, that is exactly what I am looking for

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Got Haggis? posted:

which online practice tests do you think are good? I'm basically a DevOps dude that works mostly in Debian/Ubuntu with a few CentOS servers and have been thinking about getting the RHCSA cert (even though I focus on servers and not desktops)

i'm basically self taught - and after a phone call from Google about a possible job, have come to the realization that I know nothing. Google starting asking me questions about "inodes" and I was like....I have no idea what that is (obviously after looking into it after the question, I understand - I had just not come across that term before...which is pretty sad, heh)

I've been using various forms of *nix for a bit now, so a lot of the RHCSA was a review. The practice tests at CertDepot were helpful. If you are familiar with Linux administration already, the RHCSA will be pretty easy. It's just a matter of learning the Red Hat way.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

Lucky bastard.

Stanley is adding additional sections for the Summer VMWare course and is emailing people. Keep checking your spam if you're on the waitlist.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

Stanley is adding additional sections for the Summer VMWare course and is emailing people. Keep checking your spam if you're on the waitlist.

Nothing yet but still keeping a fervent eye out.

Maybe I should poke them with a stick, see if I can nudge in there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cross posting from the main IT thread because this is a pretty baller deal and seems relevant to cert seekers. O'Reilly is offering 50-60% off most of their ebooks, one day only. "Deal expires May 7, 2014 at 5am PT"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

Cross posting from the main IT thread because this is a pretty baller deal and seems relevant to cert seekers. O'Reilly is offering 50-60% off most of their ebooks, one day only. "Deal expires May 7, 2014 at 5am PT"

What would be a handy book to pickup for SQL, does anyone know of any decent authors? pretty much a novice with relational DBs and SQL, I know some sql from dicking around, it's fairly easy to understand at a base level, but I'd like a deeper understanding of how relational DBs and SQL work.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The discounted prices aren't too much better than Kindle but close enough to give them business. Buying Bejtlich's "The Practice of Network Security Monitoring". Thanks.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MF_James posted:

What would be a handy book to pickup for SQL, does anyone know of any decent authors? pretty much a novice with relational DBs and SQL, I know some sql from dicking around, it's fairly easy to understand at a base level, but I'd like a deeper understanding of how relational DBs and SQL work.

Benjamin Nevarrez's stuff is pretty good for the more theoretic/academic side. Kalen Delaney and Kim Tripp for more practical data management, organization, and query writing/tuning. They each have several books and go way into depth on a handful of topics rather than cover the breadth because the breadth is huge. The more theoretic you're dealing with, the more relevant older versions can be -- something like cost-based optimizing and stats has only had a couple specific changes in the last 20 years.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Just passed SWITCH last Friday. Not a bad exam at all except for some EIGRP out of nowhere. Not sure if that question leaked from ROUTE or something.

Going to start up on ROUTE next, but think I might sit for that 640-911 Data Center exam (the first of two) since it looks so easy.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ive been in my new Network Engineer job for a few days now. This is a lot higher level stuff. So sitting back and observing. Gonna be some great practical experience. Nexus 5 and 7k level stuff right now. Lot more than the college equipment that I looked at in CCNA/CCENT stuff. Dont have my certs yet but was hired as a transfer because of actively going to college.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I probably said this before when I was asking about my CCENT/CCNA issues before, but I would like to thank everyone in this thread for providing great information especially Psydude for the certification information in the OP.

Yesterday I passed my Security+ exam with an 883! :dance:. Not a bad test, and for once the simulations were easy and clear to do. I currently have CCNA, A+, and Security+ and still working as a paramedic :eng99:. I'm still a bit unclear about what exactly I want to do in IT. I'm interested in networking and maybe systems administration stuff. I decided to pick up the Sybex Linux+ book and I might take a look at CBTNuggets (Because Jeremy's Cisco stuff was so good) to finally learn Linux stuff. I think with these three certs I'll see if I can find something entry-level sometime soon.

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 7, 2014

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Just got a job offer in downtown Portland for 87k working with a worldwide logistics company (network and enterprise services engineer).

I looked on Indeed and it seems like a pretty ok salary. What is everyone else making and in what area?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psyopmonkey posted:

Just got a job offer in downtown Portland for 87k working with a worldwide logistics company (network and enterprise services engineer).

I looked on Indeed and it seems like a pretty ok salary. What is everyone else making and in what area?
I feel like you meant to make this a hilarious post in the Working in IT thread given our current topic over there but you kinda missed.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel like you meant to make this a hilarious post in the Working in IT thread given our current topic over there but you kinda missed.

Nah, I rarely look at that thread. I was actually being serious...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psyopmonkey posted:

Nah, I rarely look at that thread. I was actually being serious...

This is the certification thread, I'd move this discussion over there and be more specific about your job duties.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Passed the 70-410 with a 762. :toot: Some questions I had no preparation for - I can see why they say to study for the 70-411 and 70-412 at the same time. But there were some directly from the MeasureUp practice exam, and a couple of nice easy ones on IPv6 prefixes. I do definitely need to lab out more to see where some things are located in Active Directory.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god, CCP is such a piece of poo poo, please tell me nobody actually uses this after taking the CCNA Security exam.

ascii larry
Feb 15, 2007

...just takin' out the trash
I have a ways to go in my consideration of becoming a sys/net admin or whatever floats my way, but as far as operating systems are involved, I have little direct exposure to what is actually used by companies/institutions. Between Windows and well, Red Hat, as this thread might suggest, should I just focus on certs for the one of my choosing but be aware of elements of the other? Hope I'm not mistaken if something like Active Directory and *nix servers can coexist on the same network. It's just that when I have the courage to look at job postings there's always something new on the laundry list, even for just an internship, and it's back to the books.

Also does anything from the LPI hold weight or is it all Red Hat out there?

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Oh my god, CCP is such a piece of poo poo, please tell me nobody actually uses this after taking the CCNA Security exam.

Nobody uses it, and honestly if you never used it I still think you could pass the lab on the exam.

Also, unless they changed it with the recent refresh, get used to ASDM if you go to the CCNP level.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ascii larry posted:

I have a ways to go in my consideration of becoming a sys/net admin or whatever floats my way, but as far as operating systems are involved, I have little direct exposure to what is actually used by companies/institutions. Between Windows and well, Red Hat, as this thread might suggest, should I just focus on certs for the one of my choosing but be aware of elements of the other? Hope I'm not mistaken if something like Active Directory and *nix servers can coexist on the same network. It's just that when I have the courage to look at job postings there's always something new on the laundry list, even for just an internship, and it's back to the books.

Also does anything from the LPI hold weight or is it all Red Hat out there?

LPIC is fine for a junior admin. Redhat certs sort of rule the roost for Linux because EL distros (RHEL, CentOS, OEL) dominate the enterprise market, and a lot of the stuff is also applicable to SuSE. If you're going to end up in a non-enterprise market using Debian, Ubuntu, or whatever, do whatever you like better. The RH certs are more rigorous, though, based on what I've seen of the LPIC.

Yes, Linux on some servers, Windows on others/desktops is common. There's no good alternative to Active Directory. But for what to do? Do you wanna be a Linux admin or Windows admin?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Haydez posted:

Nobody uses it, and honestly if you never used it I still think you could pass the lab on the exam.

Also, unless they changed it with the recent refresh, get used to ASDM if you go to the CCNP level.

I had to disable like three different security features in Java and IE to get it to work, which caused my antivirus to bitch at me, so I really hope so.

There actually are a few "Under which sub-section is command x found" questions in the included cert guide practice test, and if those are actually on the real test, I might be mad.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There actually are a few "Under which sub-section is command x found" questions in the included cert guide practice test, and if those are actually on the real test, I might be mad.
They are. Retaking 640-554 at the end of the month. Missed by two questions, mostly the ccp specific questions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

Yes, Linux on some servers, Windows on others/desktops is common. There's no good alternative to Active Directory. But for what to do? Do you wanna be a Linux admin or Windows admin?

Is there really none? How do all linux shops manage user identity and rights?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Tab8715 posted:

Probably a script that someone put together, but if memory serves you can use something like LDAP, although there's nothing equivalent in Linux that I'm aware of to do Group Policies. To get the wide utility of something like AD in Linux you'd need to combine a number of different services like DHCPD for DHCP, Bind for DNS, CUPS for print spooling services, and a few others. AD has the advantage in these areas in that they've got all that and more combined under one simple GUI.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah to be honest AD is one area where Microsoft has kind of knocked it out of the park. It's possible to do something similar in Linux; AD is built on top of LDAP so that part isn't a stretch. Likewise Group Policy could be thought of as a config management tool like Puppet/Chef/Salt etc. Microsoft has just turned the raw tech into a nice product and wrapped it in a GUI. If you're in the relatively rare* position of managing a bunch of Linux desktops you're looking at running OpenLDAP for authentication and directory services and then writing a ton of code in your config management tool of choice for enforcing configuration and policy on client machines. Vs doing that in a nice point and click UI that tens of thousands of people have been trained on. And then reinventing all of the integration with DNS/DHCP/printers as Daylen Drazzi said.

A couple years back there was some noise about "Googbuntu" from Google, their take on a managed Linux desktop based on Ubuntu. But from what's been published it's basically stock Ubuntu plus a lot of custom Puppet manifests to loosely mimic the controls of Group Policy.

*I don't mean to imply that there are no large deployments of managed Linux desktops, there's plenty. Just that compared to the total market share of MS + Apple they're still a minuscule number.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

LDAP and kerberos. Maybe with FreeIPA or RHDS. But AD just does it better, honestly, and with the same tools, as Docjowles said. AD is LDAP+DHCP+DNS+krb5 anyway. Nothing Linux can offer is better. Or even equivalent. You can use LDAP automounted homedirs and logon scripts, but I can bypass those if I'm clever, and GPOs are unmatched, really, unless you want to go the whole Novell logon services route

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Recomedation on VCP5 study books?
There's the official one listed in the OP: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0789749319
It seems to be for the 510 exam only?
There's also a pair of books written by Brian Atkinson, one for 510, one for 550: http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Atkinson/e/B0085535BS/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1399908027&sr=1-1

Any idea which one is "better?" If I've taken the Stanly class do I have to take the 510 exam, or could I also take the 550 exam. Is there any benefit to taking one over the other, since they both end with the same VCP5 cert?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My suggestion for VCP5 study books are the free resources provided by VMware at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-pubs.html

Read everything linked from that page. It'll take you through VCP5 and 3/4 to VCAP. Much like most Microsoft Press books are simply condensed rehashes of what you can get for free on Technet, I've started believing that VCP prep is just a condensed version of the vSphere support pubs.

Page counts for PDFs vs the VCP5 guide, comparing a PDF to its closest corresponding chapter in the guide:

VM administration - 236 vs 88
Storage - 274 vs 76
Resource Management - 138 vs 100
Networking - 194 vs 86
Monitoring - 174 vs 62

More pages means more information means more prep, but more importantly, more knowledge.

Oh, re: 510 or 550, I've already confirmed you can take either test regardless of which course you took, and I'd always recommend 550 because it's newer and more relevant. No sense in not being up on the latest.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Recomedation on VCP5 study books?
There's the official one listed in the OP: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0789749319
It seems to be for the 510 exam only?
There's also a pair of books written by Brian Atkinson, one for 510, one for 550: http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Atkinson/e/B0085535BS/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1399908027&sr=1-1

Any idea which one is "better?" If I've taken the Stanly class do I have to take the 510 exam, or could I also take the 550 exam. Is there any benefit to taking one over the other, since they both end with the same VCP5 cert?

If you are going to take the 550 exam be sure you read up fully on vSAN's and the new features from 5.1->5.5

The scott lowe book is awesome but I am sure you already have that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've read Scott Lowe's book cover to cover, I just have no idea what's actually on the exam, or what skill level its at. Which is why that offical VMware book looks useful, because it's got some sample questions etc?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Download the exam blueprint if you don't know what's on the exam.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=45082&ui=www_cert

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Tab8715 posted:

We actually use a product called Centrify, which links up to active directory and allows us to do authentication right through it.

As another note, got my email from Stanly today - looks like they have 40 seats open for the May class. If you don't make it in that one you be at the top of the list for the August class.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Passed ICND1.

ICND2 material looks rougher :/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZergFluid posted:

Passed ICND1.

I found ICND2 to be deeper, but less broad, if that makes sense. Much more in-depth study on STP and routing protocols, but ICND1 felt like it had more incidental topics that you had to study, if that makes sense.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZergFluid posted:

Passed ICND1.

Did you build a lab to study for the ICND1?

rock2much fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 14, 2014

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I found ICND2 to be deeper, but less broad, if that makes sense. Much more in-depth study on STP and routing protocols, but ICND1 felt like it had more incidental topics that you had to study, if that makes sense.

I agree with this. I personally scored better on ICND2 compared to ICND1. CCENT/ICND1 is content from the ground up and has a lot of ground to cover. ICND2 seemed to focus more on a few concepts like STP, WANs, and touches on routing protocols more (mostly OSPF). I don't remember a single subnetting question on INCD2 while there were quite a few on ICND1.

Don't build a lab for CCNA/ICND2. Go download GNS3 or Cisco Packet Tracer and make a virtual lab. You'll be saving yourself a lot of money, can do more things on the simulators without requiring crazy amounts of equipment. Routers and switches are also quite noisy. Unless you're dead-set on going all the way up CCIE, I'd hold off on building a physical lab.

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 14, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

LDAP and kerberos. Maybe with FreeIPA or RHDS. But AD just does it better, honestly, and with the same tools, as Docjowles said. AD is LDAP+DHCP+DNS+krb5 anyway. Nothing Linux can offer is better. Or even equivalent. You can use LDAP automounted homedirs and logon scripts, but I can bypass those if I'm clever, and GPOs are unmatched, really, unless you want to go the whole Novell logon services route

Interesting! I just want to learn how to set network logins and group policy for home network and eventually learn how to tinker with the office‘s Windows Server 2000. Initially I was thinking of setting up a linux solution so that our computers don't have to be windows machines but I suppose getting the new server 2012 R2 and setting up AD is easier?

Im starting to study CompTIA Network+ on my own and it seems like it's more about setting up wifi and physical networks. Where can I learn more about setting up group policies and network infrastructure? Any guidance appreciated! Eventually I would like to learn how to set up my ultimate goon base: using enterprise tools for my home.

Setting up Radius login, VPN server, issuing guest certificates and setting up a guest portal, setting up a home portal for all users, dumping local documents of different machines into shares/ready to stream photos/colloboration ala google docs/syncing calendars/monitoring/web site filtering/chat messaging logging/having a web cam sync with the door/linking baby monitors/etc..

It's for my family and extended family. Yes we will still use whatsapp, wechat, facebook chat, etc, but it would be nice to set up a central repository for different chat logs, photos, and other items. Even when we replace new phones/computers/add new devices. Am I dreaming too much?

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 15, 2014

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
It doesn't seem like a lot of end users can use those things properly in an office environment, and it might be more of a hassle supporting your family in using them all the time. There are benefits from some level of centralization, but equally they might not be comfortable with you managing their devices like that.

You might want to study some of the resources listed here for the Windows Server 2012 70-410 exam, along with setting up a 2012 R2 evaluation in a VM.

(Didn't Windows Server 2000 reach End of Support a few years ago? I'd be worried if the office is still on it :ohdear:)

--

Also, a general note: if you're studying for the 70-411 exam, and want to learn more about Windows Deployment Services using a 2012 R2 VM, the big update to 2012 R2 broke creating a capture image. :doh: Unsure if this has been patched already since that VM was just on an internal virtual switch.

Venusy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I lied. This so called family is actually imaginary but it's just me. And maybe MY GIRLFRIEND. I do want to centralize things though, and when I gain enough experience, I can set up sub groups.

It's true that end users in the office are not using things properly but I believe the younger generation are a lot more comfortable with computers and tech.

And yes, we do use Windows Server 2000, we actually pay some "IT company" 1.5K usd for 3 onsite help desks. Instead of fixing our old dot matrix printer or setting a legit print server, he insists of weird archaic magic like buying a longer LPT cable. One time, he was so :smug: for loading a Norton Ghost image. Or setting up a new computer.

I really wish he actually set up the infrastructure properly so that users saving crap to their desktop in windows XP is actually a folder in the central folder ala Linux/users/sperglord treasure.

Anyways, thanks for the guidance. I will look for further information. I'm inclined to linux machines because we don't really use any custom software besides a few CAD machines and just stick with word/excel. And Server 2012 doesn't come cheap for hobbyists :smith: I just want to set up a platform agnostic home server and have the technical know how to convince my boss to upgrade properly without listening to some dell salesperson.