Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

Default dagger has 150 riposte damage damage (also the manikin blade)

Highest for stabby swords is 140 I think.

That is counter damage. The crit modifiers are still hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

After fighting the Dragonrider its really obvious that I was supposed to go this way instead of fighting the Pursuer and going that way :v:

Yeah, I did the same thing. Took down the sentinels after that while wondering why this game was so much harder than ds1.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I am very slowly making my way through the Iron Keep, and one thing on my mind is: how do you walk on the fire surfaces? I'm sure it's a very obvious item/spell I haven't found yet, but I could be wrong.

I definitely had a bit of a trial and error process getting that Effigy beneath the stairs, as seen below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Qp3zKnShA

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I joined a game as a sunbro, and this white phantom was loving merking me and the host. Is that a hack or is it possible to get the white ring's effects as a dark spirit? We could target and fight back but he was way too aggressive and killed us quickly with dark fog and other hexes.

No tricks needed. White ring works as advertised when invading.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So this has probably been asked before, but how the flying gently caress does going UP from the top of Earthen Peak take me to a fiery castle halfway submerged in lava? :geography99:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

zfleeman posted:

I am very slowly making my way through the Iron Keep, and one thing on my mind is: how do you walk on the fire surfaces? I'm sure it's a very obvious item/spell I haven't found yet, but I could be wrong.

I definitely had a bit of a trial and error process getting that Effigy beneath the stairs, as seen below.

Walking on fire is simply a matter of stacking as much fire resistance as you can. Roll through those urns or pharros pools that cover you in water, cast flash sweat, wear the red quartz ring, and pop a lifegem to counteract the health drain with regeneration, then run run run.

edit: Orange burrs are good too but don't stack with flash sweat, so only use one if you have zero attunement slots or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

laplace posted:

I thought it was like, Rapiers have Riposte bonus whereas daggers have backstab? Someone did damage testing on Reddit for it, but that was back near release. It might have been patched/modified, but that's what I heard.

That's how it was in Dks (And even then, rapiers still got good backstabs). Here, rapiers do not seem to have any sort of crit modifier. Which does make sense. In Dks there was no reason to use a dagger since rapiers were both good as a weapon and a crit machine.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Default dagger has 150 riposte damage damage (also the manikin blade)

Highest for stabby swords is 140 I think.

That's the counter bonus. Crit modifiers are not shown anywhere.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Kiggles posted:

That is counter damage. The crit modifiers are still hidden.

Ah, my bad! I thought that number was the damage dealt to somebody you'd parried.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

One time I had a guy with the white ring invade me at the start of undead crypt (it was my first time on NG), he was polite and waved me over. I locked-on and circle strafed him to let him know I wasn't buying it.

He uses the "nuh-uh" gesture and again beckons me to follow. gently caress it, I follow him inside. Of course he proves useless against enemies (red phantoms cant do you any favors) but he was cheering me on the entire time, watching me kill dudes. When I got to the boss fog gate, he bid me farewell and black crystal'd out. It was a very surreal experience.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spiritus Nox posted:

So this has probably been asked before, but how the flying gently caress does going UP from the top of Earthen Peak take me to a fiery castle halfway submerged in lava? :geography99:

It probably has something to do with the elevator immediately after the Earthen Peak boss that takes you a long way down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fredrik1 posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing. Took down the sentinels after that while wondering why this game was so much harder than ds1.

I probably wouldn't have even gone that way except I used a small white soapstone to become human and the person went and fought him so its what I did. Had to get summons to beat him, ruin sentinels and the lost sinner which maybe should have hinted I should go the other way but I wasn't having any trouble otherwise and wondered if it was just because I'd been using spells exclusively for damage

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chomp8645 posted:

It probably has something to do with the elevator immediately after the Earthen Peak boss that takes you a long way down.

No, it doesn't. It takes you way up into the sky, where there is apparently a giant field of lava that is invisible from below.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Begemot posted:

No, it doesn't. It takes you way up into the sky, where there is apparently a giant field of lava that is invisible from below.

Ok, then it's a caldera. You're taking the elevator up to the rim.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

I probably wouldn't have even gone that way except I used a small white soapstone to become human and the person went and fought him so its what I did. Had to get summons to beat him, ruin sentinels and the lost sinner which maybe should have hinted I should go the other way but I wasn't having any trouble otherwise and wondered if it was just because I'd been using spells exclusively for damage

Yeah, well, my excuse is that I am pretty dumb.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Go take a gander at earthen peak from harvest valley. the elevator is completely nonsensical.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Except there is no rim there. Go to the second harvest valley bonfire and look up at the windmill castle. You take an elevator up from the top of that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Go take a gander at earthen peak from harvest valley. the elevator is completely nonsensical.

Who caaaaaaaaares.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Spiritus Nox posted:

The real answer is that Earthen Peak and Iron Keep both occupy the same space on the game map if I recall correctly. The story explanation is

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Vanderdeath posted:

The real answer is that Earthen Peak and Iron Keep both occupy the same space on the game map if I recall correctly. The story explanation is

Pretty much this. Just like how time is convoluted in DS1, it's quite possible that geography is now also twisted about in DS2

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

Who caaaaaaaaares.

Once the fire is linked, souls with flourish anew, and all of this will play out again.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I haven't beaten (or gotten to) Freja yet, because I can't do enough damage to the damned lions in the Shaded Ruins and got frustrated, so I went to Drangleic Castle. I have the other 3 big boss souls, though.

I will be able to go back and do the areas I haven't finished before some kind of "game over", right? Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this out of order?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Once the fire is linked, souls with flourish anew, and all of this will play out again.

We've certainly get enough Dork Lords in here.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Even after beating the final boss, you only move on to NG+ when you explicitly choose to do so at the Majula bonfire. Do whatever you like in whatever order you like.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I believe the story reason is that iron keep was loaded with so much iron that it sank whatever mountain it was on.

Transition is still kinda jarring with the close proximity to the poison factory.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think it's pretty clear most of the long sprint/elevator sequences in Dark Souls 2 are just representing something else. The elevators especially feel like something out of Metroid, where going 100 feet up or down will have you wind up in a drastically different world cut off from everything else.

It's a video game. It's just that going up for lava when you were very high up already goes against everything I believe in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mariposa posted:

I haven't beaten (or gotten to) Freja yet, because I can't do enough damage to the damned lions in the Shaded Ruins and got frustrated, so I went to Drangleic Castle. I have the other 3 big boss souls, though.

A) You have to explicitly trigger NG+, even after beating the final boss, so you have complete freedom to go back and do whatever. A "point of no return" does not exist.

B) If you think you're going to finish the game at Drangleic castle you're in for a big suprise.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
My explanation of how poo poo is so close together is that your memory is all hosed from the curse and you're losing the bits where you're moving around. You walk through a long tunnel that to the player is really short because your character is losing it.

Or, they were just trying to save on space on the map size :geno:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Dark Windmill II :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What are the equipment weight percentages that change how far you roll while dodging?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vil posted:

Even after beating the final boss, you only move on to NG+ when you explicitly choose to do so at the Majula bonfire. Do whatever you like in whatever order you like.

This is important to remember for NG+ and beyond. You really can't get any stronger so you might as well go wacky with the game's order, getting to the final boss asap is actually really convenient because it'll unlock infinite ores and stuff at shops.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

After carefully going through the Huntsman's Copse for the first time for what it felt like hours and beating those four guys at the gate, I killed myself against the phantom by backing out in the bridge without paying attention to the holes :suicide:

Jose posted:

What are the equipment weight percentages that change how far you roll while dodging?

It's gradual, but 50% and 70% are the most perceptible.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 6, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

There must always be a Lich King.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

70% is the barrier between fat roll and regular roll. According to one of the wikis you get incremental improvements to the distance of your roll for ever 20% below that mark (so 50%, 30%, 10%), but who knows if that's the reality or not.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just bought the archdrake staff but got given the sunset staff by the same person it seems. Which is better? I've not used any hexes so far just magic

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

70% is the barrier between fat roll and regular roll. According to one of the wikis you get incremental improvements to the distance of your roll for ever 20% below that mark (so 50%, 30%, 10%), but who knows if that's the reality or not.

Based on experimenting, there seems to be incremental upgrades, plus a few animation checkpoints like 70 and 50. Less than 50 seems to be the new fastroll, and getting way below that means you move much faster with rolling. Otherwise it's just invulnerable frames.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
So, my favorite thing to do on my hexer is to go to the second ratbro area, use chameleon to turn into a statue, then wait by some mobs so I can blast people in the back.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

zfleeman posted:

Actually the easiest way to survive walking on fire is to get yourself wet. There are many ways in which to do so, like breaking a vase with water in it or using a phaaros lock stone on those fountains to get them to fill with water. This reduces damage much more than the fire resist armors and gear.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Chomp8645 posted:

I can definitely tell a difference between rolling at 65% and rolling with nothing but the Desert Sorceress outfit on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Man, the loving gargoyles are the sentinels only ramped up to absurd levels, the sentinels have the courtesy of having easily telegraphed attacks and, you know, there's only 3 of them in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Man, the loving gargoyles are the sentinels only ramped up to absurd levels, the sentinels have the courtesy of having easily telegraphed attacks and, you know, there's only 3 of them in the room.

Look on the bright side, next Souls game will have 12 at once!