Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It was only a Suzuki.

You take that back. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Can we get a :smithzuki: emote?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:silver:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

So, I'm an idiot.

Backstory: First major wreck in ~ 3 years/10000 mi of riding. I was cruising down a 30 MPH arterial in Seattle, I'm behind a girl in a white Corolla, she signals right at an intersection, slows down, I do the same, then she speeds up and does the same thing at the next intersection. By this time I'm sick of speeding up/slowing down, so when she signals right again I drop into third and open the throttle to pass her on the left

One small problem, she's cancelled her right blinker, put on her left, and started turning left, and I'm not looking at her car anymore, so the next thing I see is a wall of white, and then asphalt. Then I'm laying on the ground next to my bike.

Damage:

Bike (03 SV 650):

Smashed tank, ground up grip, bent-to-gently caress radiator

Broken turn signal, ground-up clutch lever, bent mirror

and a snapped off shifter peg

This is all on the side that hit the ground, not the side that hit the car, which snapped off the mirror and left some paint on the clutch cover. I rode the bike away, which was difficult thanks to no shift knob. I got home, drilled out the lever and put a bolt through it, new parts are on order, and the frame sliders I ordered prior to this wreck should be here soon!

Gear/Personal damage:

Helmet: never even touched the ground

Jacket: Shift brand armored leather, just has a little more character, managed to transfer some minor rash to my arm.

Gloves: Speed and Strength leather/textile, minor rash on the palms, still useable, my hand went through the drivers side mirror, and that managed to take some skin off, with zero visible damage.

Pants: Jeans! :downsgun: inevitable tearing/roadrash on the knee and hip, not to bad fortunately my upper body took most of the impact. Ironically, after reading this thread and seeing all the horrifying pictures of roadrash, I bought actual riding jeans, unfortunately they didn't fit.

Boots: Harley-Davidson riding boots, barely scuffed, unfortunately I did managed to break my 2nd toe on my right (where I was hit by the car) side, I don't know how really, must have gotten pinched or something.

Aftermath/lessons learned

First off, I was riding too aggressively, when I saw a car driving erratically, obviously lost, I should have just stayed behind and slowed down, I didn't, and that's what ultimately lead to me piling into 4000 lbs of steel, and looking like an idiot. I also get to pay to have a brand-new car's door re-sprayed, in addition to all the parts of my bike I have to replace. Luckily the SPD decided that the damage to the vehicles didn't warrant and tickets/official reports, also kudos to them for getting 2 cruisers on scene in no-poo poo about 60 seconds from the 911 call.

Fortunately I was wearing my gear, and my jacket/gloves took 99% of the pounding and roadrash for me, my left hand would probably be a useless mass of scabs if it weren't for my gloves. I got off easy for just wearing jeans, and will be getting new riding pants shortly.

I also shouldn't have ridden away as soon as I did, I didn't realize how hopped-up on adrenaline I was, and how badly that effected my riding abilities, on the way home I didn't notice a car braking hard, and almost finished my bike off by stuffing it into the trunk. I tried to panic brake, locked up the rear, realized I wasn't going to stop on time, let go swerved right, and came to a stop right next to the car, looking like the biggest toolbag ever. I got lucky that my MSF training kicked in when I needed it, but it was stupid to ride away on a wrecked bike with my head spinning to fast to pay attention to what the gently caress I was doing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drat, glad to hear you're OK at least.

I feel like pretty much every single time I've had a too-close-for-comfort close call in traffic has been down to me being either impatient, aggressive or unfocused.

In fact, literally the only situation where I had no fault at all is the only real accident I've been in, where I was rear-ended when I stopped at a green light to let an ambulance by. Every single other situation, it was at least partially me making a dumb decision. Took me a while to figure that out :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wouldn't she be at fault for unsafe lane change? The cops probably didn't fill out the paperwork because they didn't want to bother determining fault when it's a he said/she said thing.

Anyways, glad you're ok.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

Wouldn't she be at fault for unsafe lane change? The cops probably didn't fill out the paperwork because they didn't want to bother determining fault when it's a he said/she said thing.

Anyways, glad you're ok.

Most likely, and I'm not saying Elviscat was at fault, because the lady in the car obvsiouly didn't check her mirrors and blind spot before changing lanes. But perhaps he could have avoided the situation by not letting being sick of accelerating/decelerating decide his actions.

It's kind of a moot point since we didn't actually witness the accident, but from my own experience, very often it takes more than one person to create a dangerous situation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

Most likely, and I'm not saying Elviscat was at fault, because the lady in the car obvsiouly didn't check her mirrors and blind spot before changing lanes. But perhaps he could have avoided the situation by not letting being sick of accelerating/decelerating decide his actions.

It's kind of a moot point since we didn't actually witness the accident, but from my own experience, very often it takes more than one person to create a dangerous situation.

Oh, agreed totally - it's his fault for riding like that. It's just legally not being at fault can take some of the pain out of learning that lesson.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Yerok posted:

Can we get a :smithzuki: emote?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

KozmoNaut posted:

Exactly, realistically it was 50/50, she was driving erratically, I was riding aggressively, if either one of us hadn't been, nothing would have happened. I agreed to pay to keep it from going further, because all the witnesses saw was the moment she hit me, when it looked like she was making a perfectly legal left, so had I pushed for an investigation I likely would have been found at fault, gotten a ticket, and taken the insurance hit.

It's all just kinda :shrug: I'm just happy I'm not in the hospital and my SV wasn't totaled.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry to see that. I'm glad you are ok and got off with a surprisingly low amount of damage all around. What frame sliders do you have? Any idea how fast you were going when you went down?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Obviously we could really use one

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Elviscat posted:

Exactly, realistically it was 50/50, she was driving erratically, I was riding aggressively, if either one of us hadn't been, nothing would have happened. I agreed to pay to keep it from going further, because all the witnesses saw was the moment she hit me, when it looked like she was making a perfectly legal left, so had I pushed for an investigation I likely would have been found at fault, gotten a ticket, and taken the insurance hit.

It's all just kinda :shrug: I'm just happy I'm not in the hospital and my SV wasn't totaled.

I think it happens to all of us. Erratic drivers piss me right the gently caress off. I've learned to just raise my clutch hand in a "what the gently caress was that poo poo, you rear end in a top hat?" gesture and curse a bit. It's a lot more effective than trying to pass the dolts.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm dumb (but thankfully not too dumb)

The situation:
- just got my first bike. It's a Saga 250 Enduro, a Chinese 4-stroke that's a pretty good match for my all of experience and circumstances (budget, location, commute). I decided to go riding with a buddy off-road. He has a YZ250 (? Thanks dirt bike bros)

- after riding successfully with my bike for an hour or so, my buddy invited me to try his bike. I ripped up and down a trail for a few minutes and said I was good but he insisted I try it on the rougher ground

http://youtu.be/ZHofqBu5jP4

The damage:
- zero damage to the bike. This crash was child's play to a YZ

- sprained my left wrist and broke a small bone in my hand. Presumably from the edge of my hand slipping off the bars and having the bike land on it

- punched my shin pretty hard. Hard enough to dent my Mx boots and leave a divot in my shin bone and decent bruising, but no blood

Lessons Learned:
- wear the gear. I was initially hesitant to pay $100 for mx boots that I didn't think I'd use much. I'm extremely glad I listened to my buddy and ponied up for them. I was going to wear hiking boots, which probably would have ended with at least a sprained ankle and definitely a gusher punched into my shin.

- listen to your gut and ride within your limits. I'd ridden on road a bit before, but had zero off-road experience. I should have taken it easy with the YZ and stuck to easier terrain. I was hesitant but let myself get talked into it (very easily).

This was a good gut check on my skill level. I need to spend more time practising my skills.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
That sucks, sorry about your hand man. Hope you recover fast, glad you're alright besides that.

When poo poo started going bad in that video it gave me a flashback-- that situation really sucks, things unfold so quickly

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Razzled posted:

That sucks, sorry about your hand man. Hope you recover fast, glad you're alright besides that.

When poo poo started going bad in that video it gave me a flashback-- that situation really sucks, things unfold so quickly

Thanks, but it wasn't that bad. I jumped back on my bike and rode back to the truck, and went and did a fairly competitive 5 day course the next day. It hasn't been fun but I feel lucky that it wasn't worse.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Good to see gear paying off as it where. Since my computer refuses to load the vid again and I didn't really catch it the first time, what happened? Throttle hamfisting?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Lessons Learned:
- wear the gear.

- listen to your gut and ride within your limits.
Speaking of, here are two completely preventable deaths from this weekend as a reminder. Friends of a friend that I sadly can't bring myself to feel sorry for:

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/fatal/index.php?do=view_reports&accident_number=118&year_rec=2014

A single vehicle crash on a wide and straight road in the middle of a beautiful day is obviously pretty squiddy; but they still would have survived if properly geared. For reference, a properly geared rider on a sportbike piled into one of these same freeway barriers last week at over 90mph. The dude's body hit a cable support post so hard he bent the steel post in half; but he was out of the hospital within a couple days.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

EvilSlug posted:

Speaking of, here are two completely preventable deaths from this weekend as a reminder. Friends of a friend that I sadly can't bring myself to feel sorry for:

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/fatal/index.php?do=view_reports&accident_number=118&year_rec=2014

A single vehicle crash on a wide and straight road in the middle of a beautiful day is obviously pretty squiddy; but they still would have survived if properly geared. For reference, a properly geared rider on a sportbike piled into one of these same freeway barriers last week at over 90mph. The dude's body hit a cable support post so hard he bent the steel post in half; but he was out of the hospital within a couple days.

Man that is so sad. Also drat @ geared dude who hit that and lived.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Razzled posted:

Man that is so sad. Also drat @ geared dude who hit that and lived.
I feel worst for his family. They lost their cars and pretty much everything else they owned in that central AR tornado a couple weeks ago. They had taken solace in the fact that their son had escaped the same fate by being away at college. Imagine clearing trash off the slab where your house used to be and having someone come tell you that your son had just killed someone else's daughter along with himself while being egregiously stupid. :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

EvilSlug posted:

I feel worst for his family. They lost their cars and pretty much everything else they owned in that central AR tornado a couple weeks ago. They had taken solace in the fact that their son had escaped the same fate by being away at college. Imagine clearing trash off the slab where your house used to be and having someone come tell you that your son had just killed someone else's daughter along with himself while being egregiously stupid. :(

Wow that is awful. Thanks for ruining my day.

(ATGATT 4 lyfe)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://tinyurl.com/m5ayxfd

Hard to see how you run wide there but if you back up a bit there was a short 1/8 mile straight or so before it, probably just gunned it on the on-ramp and overcooked it into the turn. Sad for their families and the passenger, they might not know if they're getting on with a good rider or a dummy.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Razzled posted:

Wow that is awful. Thanks for ruining my day.

(ATGATT 4 lyfe)

Stories like this remind you why you do it. I've been wearing jeans on short trips recently.. never again.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Every time I wear jeans, non riding boots or short gloves I feel like I'm tempting fate.
If you ATGATT 99% of the time it seems only proper that the time you don't is when you'll get bailed by a van or something.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have never been on a motorcycle with less than full gear. I'm not saying everybody should follow my lead, but I have scrapes that haven't healed from childhood from simple falls and holy gently caress.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've never ridden without atgatt, but I've scooched the bike to different parking spots without some pieces of gear (pants, gloves). It felt so uncomfortable, akin to being partially naked. And that was just moving it 20 feet unpowered. Can't even imagine riding with shorts/flipflops/tank top.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm bad about wearing overpants. I'm probably going to pull a Wes Siler and grind a hole in my rear end one of these days.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Pants are the biggest challenge. I am ATG99%.

I rode my bike one block (washing it) with no gear last week, not even a helmet, and it was glorious. I felt free.

That said I would never do it again because I like my skin/skull.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Always wear my jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. I skip the protective pants waaaay too often.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Always wear my jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. I skip the protective pants waaaay too often.

Are the zip up sides? I skipped mine a lot in the past till I got ones that zip 3/4 up and kinda lost my excuse for not wearing them.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I have these pants and they are easy on / off.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-axis-pants

I wear them when I commute to work 100% of the time.

Commuting home I'm about 50/50.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This. Unless I'm out donging it up where I'll be in my 1pcs I'm usually just in jeans/gloves/jacket/boots/helmet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I lowsided once at low speed wearing helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans and sneakers. Skinned my knees badly through the jeans, that was it. It hurt insanely and caused scabs which alone made it difficult to walk properly for 2 weeks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah for real, you get how silly it is to wear everything but one piece right? Switch it around and leave the jacket at home next time and see how you feel.

One step away from the dude I saw in MX boots, gloves and a helmet. I think his name was Hnasty.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Some of my rider friends keep insisting jeans would be enough around town. I don't hesitate to point out that one of the students in the MSF class I attended lowsided a CRF230 at about 10-15mph and scraped up his leg through the jeans, with little actual damage to the jeans themselves.

Helmet/Jacket/Pants/Gloves, bare minimum. I will probably get along with my workboots for a while until I figure out what I want in a pair of boots.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I know how dumb it is to skip on the pants, I've kind of accepted it. I'll get some pants I'm happy to wear all the time one day soon.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've scraped up a shin bad enough that by the time I got home the sock on the foot below the rashed up shin was so wet with blood you could wring it, and that was just going over the bars at ~5 mph in the dirt in jeans; there's no way I'll get on a bike on the street without proper pants and jacket.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Helmet/gloves/redwing boots/kevlar pants. When I crashed I had sneakers and jeans on. Two small holes in my knee with no damage to the pants, and a hole in my ankle from the shoe tongue bending back and socks can't stop road rash. I got AGV Sport kevlar jeans now. I don't think they'll hold up well in a crash, there's no armor either, but there is kevlar padding in rear end and knees, kinda along the side of the hip as well. I was on a budget, and frankly I love these pants.

I tried some motorcycle boots and they didn't fit well(size 15...) so I went with redwing. I love these boots, and saved my foot from when I clipped a car at 45mph a month ago. It was hosed up for a couple weeks, and still does hurt. No broken bones though or permanent damage. Just super sprained/swollen/blue. I don't want to think of what would have happened to my foot without the boot on. Redwing repaired the boot free of charge too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yup, you really can't skip on the pants. In my retarded crash from earlier (the second mailbox incident) my right knee would be shattered and useless from hitting the metal mailbox post at 10 mph. Instead I got off with some massive bruising and scabbing. 1 week later it doesn't even hurt anymore and I can do squats again with no issue.

All thanks to my Dainese pants with kevlar knee pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

I know how dumb it is to skip on the pants, I've kind of accepted it. I'll get some pants I'm happy to wear all the time one day soon.

That's really the key to gear, you gotta get stuff you'll wear. That's what I meant with my pants earlier. My no-zipper pair I'd rationalize why I didn't want to take off shoes or w/e, but if you get gear that's comfy and easy to wear, you'll wear it.

• Locked thread