Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

ante posted:

I was actually just thinking last night that I really need an IR sensor for home theatre Pi.

What am I missing here? Why not just use your phone? xbmcRemote is a great app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

eightysixed posted:

Yatse is the best remote app (for XBMC anyways).

It's possible they don't have an android or iPhone? It's possible its so an older person can control it as well.

After that post, I considered getting one just to have and leave around but I'm sure my girlfriend would just lose it, she's bad at remotes.

Edit: Stupid typing on phone, manual url entries not working and adding extra tags and spaces.

A c E fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 28, 2014

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

ante posted:

I was actually just thinking last night that I really need an IR sensor for home theatre Pi.
Are you sure you can't just use your TV remote? libCEC worked great for me out of the box with raspbmc and openelec.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

What do I look like, made out of money?

eightysixed posted:

I used to do this with a different app at my last apartment when I had everything running to my desktop. I usually ended up just getting up to do it on my computer because it was a lot of work to pull out my phone (which I don't even necessarily have on me when I'm home), type in the password, load up the app, and wait for it to connect. Just to turn down the volume a little or whatever.

peepsalot posted:

Are you sure you can't just use your TV remote? libCEC worked great for me out of the box with raspbmc and openelec.

I totally forgot that this was a thing, I meant to look into this :coal:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

YouTuber posted:

http://www.bananapi.org/

So I see this making the rounds on the Raspberry Pi community blogs. It feels like a scam or OUYA level pipedream. Anyone else getting this vibe?
Here's a review of the Banana Pi. I'm not terribly impressed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Banana Pi looks a lot like the pcDuino with a Raspberry Pi pinout instead of an arduino pinout.

At least the pcDuino comes with a low power wifi option @ $40, the pcDuino V2 has the A20 chip (I think) for ~$74

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

ante posted:

What do I look like, made out of money?

I used to do this with a different app at my last apartment when I had everything running to my desktop. I usually ended up just getting up to do it on my computer because it was a lot of work to pull out my phone (which I don't even necessarily have on me when I'm home), type in the password, load up the app, and wait for it to connect. Just to turn down the volume a little or whatever.

I totally forgot that this was a thing, I meant to look into this :coal:

Mine's a widget on my lock screen!

Can only play/pause and skip to the next video, but it helps.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The Banana Pi got me looking around, and there are a ton of cheap, small form factor arm desktop replacements. Some boast quad core 1.7ghz Exynos processors and 2gb of ram and they manage to do it at a cheaper price point than the Banana Pi. A few have GPIO and other interfacing headers. This looked pretty cool for the price .

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
The ODroid is a beast compare to the Raspberry Pi. I took a robotic class recently and my Raspberry Pi robot run OpenCV at like 2fps@160x120 while the ODroid run full blast 30fps@640x480. It only ships from Korea though, that why I didn't buy it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'd figure there is going to be or is already a bunch of small form factor computers since Arduino and Raspberry Pi broke the market open. I feel like the onus is on the Pi foundation to make either a new board or a model C revision with higher specs just to keep the community together.

With the current board a few OS are nonfunctional, Android being the most notable. It may not seem like much, but Android is probably the perfect option for builds that benefit from touchscreens. Like a car computer.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

keyvin posted:

The Banana Pi got me looking around, and there are a ton of cheap, small form factor arm desktop replacements. Some boast quad core 1.7ghz Exynos processors and 2gb of ram and they manage to do it at a cheaper price point than the Banana Pi. A few have GPIO and other interfacing headers. This looked pretty cool for the price .

That looks amazing.

Other than the microHDMI :(

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

ante posted:

That looks amazing.

Other than the microHDMI :(

At least they have not placed the microHDMI just below the USB connector, like in the BBB. My main concern with the BBB is that the microHDMI adapter crashes with the USB connector, and requires to be forced into place, which I guess it is not definitely a good thing.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

keyvin posted:

I've had one for a few months, and yeah it massively outclasses the Pi when it comes to computing power. A few caveats though:
  • It's not really $59. It's $59 plus $25 shipping, and if you're getting any accessories you should order them at the same time, otherwise you'll be paying that $25 again. Also the shipping time isn't great.
  • You're really not going to find accessories anywhere else, so if you want the power supply, case, eMMC, or anything else that's not USB you'll have to order from the odroid store.
  • Video decoding in linux has issues. Don't expect to run Openelec and watch videos at 1080p on this. The best bet for XBMC is android, but the android version of XBMC is still in beta. Plus once you've factored in shipping and accessories, an Amazon FireTV is probably cheaper.

I'm glad I have mine, but it's not quite a complete Pi replacement yet.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I'm trying to use my raspberry pi as a print server since there are no 64bit windows drivers for my old rear end laser printer.
The problem is that it only prints one page before getting stuck and giving up.

My best guess after looking at top during a job seems to be that ghostscript and foo2zjs are taking up 70-98% of the cpu long enough that
it freaks the gently caress out of CUPS.
Is the pi just going to be underpowered for this situation?

I hate printers :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I'm trying to use my raspberry pi as a print server since there are no 64bit windows drivers for my old rear end laser printer.
The problem is that it only prints one page before getting stuck and giving up.

My best guess after looking at top during a job seems to be that ghostscript and foo2zjs are taking up 70-98% of the cpu long enough that
it freaks the gently caress out of CUPS.
Is the pi just going to be underpowered for this situation?

I hate printers :(

What old laser printer is that, incidentally? It will probably help for diagnosing the issue.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
HP LaserJet 1000.
Unfortunately as with every time I decide to post asking something, it starts working, sort of.

I set CUPS to re-send the job on error instead of bailing after the first one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PS. Love the cabin posted:

HP LaserJet 1000.
Unfortunately as with every time I decide to post asking something, it starts working, sort of.

I set CUPS to re-send the job on error instead of bailing after the first one.

Ah, yeah, it's one of those printers that cheaps out by having most of the rendering of the pages done on the host computer. Having it eat up a ton of of processing power on a Pi is going to be pretty much unavoidable, sadly, and that will cause other aspects of the printing system to freak out.

Back when it was new, you could easily bring an older Pentium III system to its knees printing with one of those printers, and the Pi's roughly on par with one of those for basic computational power.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
That makes sense then, at least it's working fairly well now if a bit slow to start.
Unfortunately during testing I forgot that I left my scale settings at 200%, long story short I have about 100 or so pages about farting and flatulence.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just got one of these things the other day and I'm trying to set up a temperature/humidity monitor using this tutorial, but every time I run the thing to export the data to Google Docs, gspread spits out that it's "unable to append data". I tried Googling around to no avail - anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I just recently picked up a Raspberry Pi and installed the recommended distro, NOOBS.

While I intend to have fun with the GPIO pins down the road, right now the Pi is just sitting around doing nothing. So, I was thinking of switching over to Raspbmc so that I can actually use this thing as a media player in the interim.

Now, potentially silly question: If I switch over to Raspbmc, can I still make use of the GPIO pins? I assume I can still download some sort of GPIO libraries and have fun while still being able to use the Pi as a media center?

I was thumbing through the Adafruit Raspberry Pi tutorials and I noticed that they use Python. But, since I'd like to really master C#, how easy it to get C# running on the Pi? I see it uses Mono for programming instead of Visual Studio. Does that mean that Mono will not include a lot of C# features?

If C# is not the best - or even a viable - option, I wouldn't mind either developing in C or Java. I wouldn't mind giving Python a try since it seems to have similar syntax to Ruby. Besides the language questions, are there already GPIO libraries developed for said languages?

The reason for these questions is that my primary language is PHP. But, I'd like to really expand my skill set so that I'm not stuck looking for PHP gigs.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you installed Raspbian from NOOBS, you can just install XBMC as a regular program. Beyond that, I can't answer the other questions.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There are API to interact with the hardware already written in python, RPi.GPIO. If you want to use C# you will have to figure out how to interact with the hardware directly.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah any operating system should still allow you to install Python or other languages and start hacking around. It looks like raspbmc is based on Debian, so it should be easy to install any missing programming language packages with apt-get. For example to install mono you would type "sudo apt-get install mono-complete".

As far as programming with mono vs. python. I would give python a shot first. There are likely more libraries written to access GPIO, etc. for python than mono. Mono should be very similar to using the .NET framework on a PC, but I think some of the bigger parts like WPF, WCF, etc. are missing or not fully implemented.

A great resource for learning python is Learn Python The Hard Way. As far as python GPIO libraries go, I've used and like the RPI.GPIO library.

You can actually access GPIO directly from the filesystem and manipulate it from the command line if you're curious too: http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals#Bash_shell_script.2C_using_sysfs.2C_part_of_the_raspbian_operating_system

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah just don't use OpenElec if you are planning on installing extra packages from a repo. raspbmc should be fine

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

peepsalot posted:

Yeah just don't use OpenElec if you are planning on installing extra packages from a repo. raspbmc should be fine

I personally would have two different installations in two different SD cards. Use the raspbmc one just to do raspbmc stuff, and the other to play with GPIO or whatever you want. I recommend to use microSDs with an adapter card to not wear off the Raspi card holder, which is ostensibily weak and breaks easily.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Amberskin posted:

I personally would have two different installations in two different SD cards. Use the raspbmc one just to do raspbmc stuff, and the other to play with GPIO or whatever you want. I recommend to use microSDs with an adapter card to not wear off the Raspi card holder, which is ostensibily weak and breaks easily.

This. Though I'd probably stick with a network boot and just modify which share is enabled.

Also, cross posting from the Xbone thread in Games in case anyone here has a clue as to my issue.

A c E posted:

I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC and I recently switched it to use the Xbone pass through (instead of my 360) to save myself from changing inputs since we only really use the XBMC and the Xbone. Anyways, while I can start a video and it will play all the way through and even subsequent shows in the queue, the second I try to go home or stop the video using my Android remote, the screen goes black/blank and it appears as though the XBMC dies. To fix it, I can disconnect the HDMI plug and plug it back in or pull the power to XBMC. When I do either option, I get a split second of video feed showing me what should have been on the screen before I reset. This also occurs when the XBMC goes to sleep, it just refuses to wake up and the screen stays completely black.

This only happens when running through the Xbone and I don't understand what would be causing it.

I'm using OpenElec if that makes any difference.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A c E posted:

Though I'd probably stick with a network boot and just modify which share is enabled.

What's involved in making that work? I'd be quite happy with such a setup.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

I followed someones guide on here to get it started, but I should be able to find the guide I used to get it working.

Though, I'm running FreeNAS on my main PC using VirtualBox and currently have an NFS share set up for each Pi.

Edit:
Here's the post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084&userid=118491#post414114137.
I originally followed this guide http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149607. though I suspect I checked other resources when I redid the setup.

You may not be able to auto update but it stops the file system corruption I was getting from having to reset the Pi. I don't run my PIs from the same NFS share, but I did set up/configure one fully and then cloned the data to a second NFS share for the other Pi which saved me a lot of work.

I ended up using http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html to format my SD cards.

A c E fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 7, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah any operating system should still allow you to install Python or other languages and start hacking around. It looks like raspbmc is based on Debian, so it should be easy to install any missing programming language packages with apt-get. For example to install mono you would type "sudo apt-get install mono-complete".

As far as programming with mono vs. python. I would give python a shot first. There are likely more libraries written to access GPIO, etc. for python than mono. Mono should be very similar to using the .NET framework on a PC, but I think some of the bigger parts like WPF, WCF, etc. are missing or not fully implemented.

A great resource for learning python is Learn Python The Hard Way. As far as python GPIO libraries go, I've used and like the RPI.GPIO library.

You can actually access GPIO directly from the filesystem and manipulate it from the command line if you're curious too: http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals#Bash_shell_script.2C_using_sysfs.2C_part_of_the_raspbian_operating_system

MIT (yes the MIT) has a great intro to computer science, they have at least three different "semesters" to choose from, I personally did the 2011 course, but I see there's a 2013 course (same material/instructor, different year/semester). This is just intro to CS but it goes all the way through their master's program if you should feel so inclined.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...uction-to-6.00/

Also includes the (recorded!) TA sessions, lecture slides, notes, quizzes, example code etc. You can go from zero to "code your way out of a cardboard box" in about five hours. It's on youtube and iTunes music store for free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_OpenCourseWare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3jvD7XFPs

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 7, 2014

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Is there any goon recommended starter kit? Or should I buy every item separately? I guess I only really need the Board and the wifi dongle (and a case I guess) but having more poo poo to play with would be nice.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The point has always always been that you hopefully already have a lot of the kit.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Well, I'm actually an idiot and misread what was included in the starter kit. I thought it would have a couple of sensors and maybe a camera, not a breadboard.

As I said, I only really need the board and the wifi dongle so I'll just get that.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 7, 2014

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Openelec 4.0 is out with xbmc 13.

Is it crazy unstable for anyone else on their pi? I am getting xbmc crashing all the loving time, crashes I never even got on raspbmc nightly builds with the xbmc 13 beta.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My build of OpenElec has been rock solid. The Beta was a tad bit clunky but I was overloading the board with inane add-ons that weren't needed.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like I'll go the raspbmc route and just use Python for the very fact that there are a lot of GPIO libraries for it.

The syntax doesn't seem that difficult so far, but I'll still trudge through the whole Learn Python the Hard Way series.

Also, the MIT stuff looks really cool. When I can spare some time, I'll be going through that too.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dolemite posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like I'll go the raspbmc route and just use Python for the very fact that there are a lot of GPIO libraries for it.

The syntax doesn't seem that difficult so far, but I'll still trudge through the whole Learn Python the Hard Way series.

Also, the MIT stuff looks really cool. When I can spare some time, I'll be going through that too.

Google has coursework with video lectures for Python:

https://developers.google.com/edu/python/?csw=1

also I'm literally doing the Python coursework at http://www.codecademy.com/ right now and it seems squared away enough to teach properly. If you know other languages it would probably suit you to skip the mode basic poo poo.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've temporarily given up on the hardware side of things with this for now, and instead I'm trying to make an alarm clock of sorts. I've got the Pi all set up to be able to play a streaming radio station through mpd/mpc, and I figure I can get it to kick off at a given time by setting up a cron job, but I don't know how to get it to stop playing after x minutes. I'm sure it's piss easy, but I've got nothing. Any advice?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

TetsuoTW posted:

I've temporarily given up on the hardware side of things with this for now, and instead I'm trying to make an alarm clock of sorts. I've got the Pi all set up to be able to play a streaming radio station through mpd/mpc, and I figure I can get it to kick off at a given time by setting up a cron job, but I don't know how to get it to stop playing after x minutes. I'm sure it's piss easy, but I've got nothing. Any advice?

When the cron job to play the music runs, write the PID that it starts to a file. After x minutes, read the PID back and kill it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BrainDance posted:

Openelec 4.0 is out with xbmc 13.

Is it crazy unstable for anyone else on their pi? I am getting xbmc crashing all the loving time, crashes I never even got on raspbmc nightly builds with the xbmc 13 beta.

Yeah now I'm getting it as well. The thing freezes up but when I ssh in it runs like dogshit and I can barely issue a reboot command. I hit enter and it hangs for a bit until
code:
Failed to start reboot.target: Connection timed out
so I issue it again and it hangs for a long time until it manages it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is this the correct amount of buzzing for a servo to make when holding position/idle?

Looking here it would appear that the servo has a PWM frequency of 5mhz

http://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/900-00005

And my code specifies 5mhz: var pwm = new bbbPWM('/sys/devices/ocp.3/pwm_test_P8_13.11/', 5000000);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvThFwL8fN8

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 11, 2014