Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jose posted:

I just bought the archdrake staff but got given the sunset staff by the same person it seems. Which is better? I've not used any hexes so far just magic

Archdrake has higher cast speed and used regular titanite to upgrade as opposed to twinkling, so I'd go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do I not get my rear end destroyed by millions of those blue ghost dudes down the hole after the second undead crypt bonfire?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jose posted:

I just bought the archdrake staff but got given the sunset staff by the same person it seems. Which is better? I've not used any hexes so far just magic

Dark Sunset Staff +5 is, I believe, the strongest catalyst in the game for staff-based hexes. However, when you first get it, its dark damage is very weak; you really want to upgrade it at least once or twice. (Its dark damage increases a lot with each upgrade. Its magic damage only increases a little.)

Archdrake Staff, in contrast, isn't an endgame catalyst for either sorcery or hexes, but is very serviceable for most of the midgame. It's basically what you use for sorcery (throw some upgrades and maybe a magic infusion at it) until you can get a really good sorcery catalyst. It's like a slightly stronger Sorcerer's Staff (assuming equal upgrade levels). For sorcery though, you'll eventually want to gun for Magic Staff of Wisdom +5, but Staff of Wisdom comes very late in the game.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Yeah gargoyles are a bitch solo, don't be a dumbass and take them on with CoC as a hybrid melee caster. That was such a along and slow fight waiting for the right openings.

Having some kind of ranged helps, since the most wounded gargoyle seems to hang back while breathing fire.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 6, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Oh my god, trying to help people in Earthen Peak is a fool's errand. Two people didn't get to light the windmill on fire, despite me holding a torch, pointing at it, then hitting it with a torch. Both got poisoned by the pharros contraption despite my no way gesture, and one almost got eaten by the mimic, I managed to hit it with a spell just as he was opening it. Then, when I led one to the secret bonfire and pointed at the illusory wall, he just hit it for a while before giving up. Being a sunbro is hard.

I did that very same thing in earthen peak, I managed to get a few people light the windmill, then spent 5 minutes running back forth from the fire to the windmill hitting it in front of one guy. Host knelt the fire and I thought I'd got the message across, until he dismissed me :(

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

dis astranagant posted:

How do I not get my rear end destroyed by millions of those blue ghost dudes down the hole after the second undead crypt bonfire?

Kill the zombies before they ring the bell while slowly destroying the statues. I wasn't able to keep up with the bell zombies so I ran out of the room and lowered the short cut to the bonfire then I would rush the statues and go rest then it becomes much easier.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Genocyber posted:

Archdrake has higher cast speed and used regular titanite to upgrade as opposed to twinkling, so I'd go with that.

Ok cool I'll go with that. Doing some co-op to get some souls for upgrading at the minute anyway. I've cleared sinner's rise and reached no man's wharf. I'm doing the ruin sentinels for co-op, is that the best place for it to farm souls?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

snergle posted:

Kill the zombies before they ring the bell while slowly destroying the statues. I wasn't able to keep up with the bell zombies so I ran out of the room and lowered the short cut to the bonfire then I would rush the statues and go rest then it becomes much easier.

There's a shortcut?

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
Rapier chat, is Ricard's r2 mostly useful for applying conditions? Is it good for breaking poise or something? What's the deal with the Black Scorpion Stinger? I can't get it to actually poison anything.

Also what's maybe the best rapier for a dex build?

Orgone Accumulator fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 6, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Ok cool I'll go with that. Doing some co-op to get some souls for upgrading at the minute anyway. I've cleared sinner's rise and reached no man's wharf. I'm doing the ruin sentinels for co-op, is that the best place for it to farm souls?

Hosts have an unfortunate tendency to get themselves killed on the sentinels. They are good souls if you win, though. That said, if you're pure-sorcery they're not a very good choice for you for that reason either, since they're magic resistant. If you've got some faith up your sleeve though, lightning melts them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

dis astranagant posted:

If you don't move the zombies will never come out and you can destroy all the stones with ranged attacks except for the one tucked down a hallway.

dis astranagant posted:

There's a shortcut?

After the million-reapers room, try left and then try lever. :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ugh, totally not 20 foot tall Garl Vinland has the longest loving combos with that ridiculous mace of his.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Orgone Accumulator posted:

Rapier chat, is Ricard's r2 mostly useful for applying conditions? Is it good for breaking poise or something? What's the deal with the Black Scorpion Stinger? I can't get it to actually poison anything.

the normal rapier got me through a lot, and ricards is great for poison, but I found that both were eventually outclassed by other weapon types. I might switch back to rapier once I get another titanite slab to max it out though. It's much quicker to the draw than a katana.

for reference, ricards was quickly outclassed by the spotted whip +5, and even more so putting poison on it (it poisons in 2-3 hits, and has awesome range).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The mirror knight shield is cool and all, but what it really needs is for any phantoms you summon to burst out of it and be half sized.

with squeaky voices :3:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, I think I'm suffering from Souls burnout.

The annoying bits just seem to outweigh the good bits too much right now.

- Everyone is a loving wizard (My current character is too, so I'm part of the problem) with the exact same gear (Hexer hood, sunset staff etc)
- Coop with hexers is terrible because most people are bad and just die on you
- Some parts are decidedly range-unfriendly. The bit in Iron Keep when the turtle guards show up is one example.
- NG+ is also annoying because on top of regular, stronger enemies you have to deal with awful phantoms, plus I don't really feel like going through everything with the same character again. I could use a soul vessel, sure, and then I'm sitting on basic +0 equipment because you can't get enough shards early on.

tl;dr :effort:

At least I beat Smelter on my first try because Lucatiel is a beast.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Loving this duel system. Everyone is lagging and my last 10 matches have been lost because I get hit by attacking people that are 10 feet away from me. In one instance I got pulled across the map and backstabbed :suicide:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If I start NG+ as a Bellbro can I get summoned right away or do I have to access the belfries first?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Orgone Accumulator posted:

The Rapiers have gimmicks I guess. Some have a shield-piercing strong attack, which I've found isn't worth very much. It does damage behind shields sure, but it kind of leaves you exposed, doesn't do much damage and make it difficult to chain successive attacks. I do well enough with a generic Rapier +10, it isn't like DS1 where Ricard's Rapier was just plain better than the generic Rapier, etc.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Loving this duel system. Everyone is lagging and my last 10 matches have been lost because I get hit by attacking people that are 10 feet away from me. In one instance I got pulled across the map and backstabbed :suicide:

I've just gotten to the point where I don't summon people to fight me. I don't know why, but the lag seems to favor the invader over the host. It isn't a fair fight, so it just isn't worth my time :smith:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

- Everyone is a loving wizard (My current character is too, so I'm part of the problem) with the exact same gear (Hexer hood, sunset staff etc)
- Some parts are decidedly range-unfriendly. The bit in Iron Keep when the turtle guards show up is one example.

tl;dr :effort:

Eh ranged has always been sorta easy mode in these games. Blame the player min/max mentality here. The only magic that seems bullshit are probably the resonant soul spells, losing a trivial amount of souls for the damage those things deal is absurd.

No idea what part your talking about with the turtle guards. At most you just had to bait them around a corner?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

dis astranagant posted:

I did this the long way, by going straight to the larger tombstones that spawn the ghosts. It took me four deaths, it's the most bullshit part of the game, easily. New players think the room in Lost Bastille is bad, but this is something else altogether.

The best thing to do is make a beeline for the corridor that's wider than the other two that leads out the room. Just around the corner is a lever that opens a shortcut to the nearby bonfire that you came from.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Heliosicle posted:

I did that very same thing in earthen peak, I managed to get a few people light the windmill, then spent 5 minutes running back forth from the fire to the windmill hitting it in front of one guy. Host knelt the fire and I thought I'd got the message across, until he dismissed me :(

A sunbro helped me figure this one out by going to the bonfire, lighting a torch (which I immediately followed suit), and pointed at the windmill. I definitely wouldn't have figured that poo poo out on my own, but at the same time, I didn't need him to beat his head against the wall trying to show me what to do.

I think you just got unlucky with a few retards, because there's definitely those of us out there who got (and much appreciated) the help :)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I did this the long way, by going straight to the larger tombstones that spawn the ghosts. It took me four deaths, it's the most bullshit part of the game, easily. New players think the room in Lost Bastille is bad, but this is something else altogether.

The best thing to do is make a beeline for the corridor that's wider than the other two that leads out the room. Just around the corner is a level that opens a shortcut to the nearby bonfire that you came from.

It's possible to keep the little shits under control and away from the bells if you focus on it and don't bump too many rocks, but yeah you basically need a summoned helper that isn't retarded or a bunch of homeward bones if you want to do it without dying. At least the big graves don't respawn.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Challenging parts are always "bullshit" to goons it seems.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Welp, longest fight ever, but LGK finally went down. Then I phantomed for some other guy, he focused only on one dude the whole time and went down in less than a minute.

Tonight on Fashion Souls : the marching band leader.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Mzbundifund posted:

The mirror knight shield is cool and all, but what it really needs is for any phantoms you summon to burst out of it and be half sized.

with squeaky voices :3:

With sped up movement animations too!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

:darksouls:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nahrix posted:

A sunbro helped me figure this one out by going to the bonfire, lighting a torch (which I immediately followed suit), and pointed at the windmill. I definitely wouldn't have figured that poo poo out on my own, but at the same time, I didn't need him to beat his head against the wall trying to show me what to do.

I think you just got unlucky with a few retards, because there's definitely those of us out there who got (and much appreciated) the help :)

Helping people figure out the Windmill is basically the most satisfying part of being a Sunbro :unsmith:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I want a dwarf body type, eunuch gender and a ear modification DLC. Those are the areas DS2 is lacking in the most.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

- Coop with hexers is terrible because most people are bad and just die on you

I played melee my first run and decided to go caster on the second. I also have the sunset staff and hexer's hood (though mixing it up everywhere else). To be fair, almost all of the equipment that's better or at least comparable doesn't show up until the final 1/3rd of the game. Hell, the loving traditional wizard's hat I want you can't get until you complete a sidequest you can't finish until the second to last area of the game. :argh: It pisses me off how melee builds have five dozen armor sets to choose from at any given time, while we have hexer's set and archdrake set for 70% of the game and that's it.

As for co-op, casters seem to come in only two opposite extremes: either they're loving ninjas who dodge better than the guy trying to tank, or they're incapable of understanding buttons besides LB/RB exist on their controller and just get mulched the second they draw aggro. I've been trying to summon sunbros for every boss for the extra sunlight medals, but with OIK I ended up doing him solo because all the casters I summoned would just run to that little alcove, and proceed to get lazered through the wall and straight to lava death.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Red Crown posted:

I've just gotten to the point where I don't summon people to fight me. I don't know why, but the lag seems to favor the invader over the host. It isn't a fair fight, so it just isn't worth my time :smith:

Nah, I'm talking about the blood bro fighting ring type duels. Every time there isn't lag I win, but thats like, one in five matches. The rest are just people running up to me, stopping for 5 seconds, then I lose my health bar :argh:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Nah, I'm talking about the blood bro fighting ring type duels. Every time there isn't lag I win, but thats like, one in five matches. The rest are just people running up to me, stopping for 5 seconds, then I lose my health bar :argh:

Speaking of which do you actually get anything for killing an invader? I just summoned and downed my first red phantom after a fine fight and I didn't get jack :( One of my favorite parts of DS1 was that you could rack up mad souls and humanity by being a good PvP fighter.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Sydin posted:

It pisses me off how melee builds have five dozen armor sets to choose from at any given time, while we have hexer's set and archdrake set for 70% of the game and that's it.

Imagine you get the hexer's set right away, and then have 10 more options, all of which are far shittier in terms of stats. Sure I have lots of options for melee theoretically. Practically, however, I've been running in the drangleic set the entire time for my first playthrough. I already get wrecked as is, and I can't afford to play Fashion Souls until NG, which is, in practice, the same situation for casters regardless of where the armor is located.

: Edit for massive run-on sentence.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sydin posted:

I played melee my first run and decided to go caster on the second. I also have the sunset staff and hexer's hood (though mixing it up everywhere else). To be fair, almost all of the equipment that's better or at least comparable doesn't show up until the final 1/3rd of the game. Hell, the loving traditional wizard's hat I want you can't get until you complete a sidequest you can't finish until the second to last area of the game. :argh: It pisses me off how melee builds have five dozen armor sets to choose from at any given time, while we have hexer's set and archdrake set for 70% of the game and that's it.

There's also Straid's set, especially the hood which gives +2 Int, +2 Faith, and faster cast speed. Then there's the Priest set sold by Cromwell, the Desert Sorceress hood gives +3 Int and looks awesome when combined with full Alva armor. You don't have to min-max! Fashion Souls!

Tamayachi posted:

With sped up movement animations too!

yessss

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

No death run attempt #6: about to fight Nashandra oh gently caress hell ahhh

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
And jesus christ this thread moves fast.

So I made my sunlight spear take 42 faith and now have 42/42 hex + lightning :v:

PvP now consists of :
1. Staff of Amana -> Crystal Soulmass
2. Left hand my dragon chime (right hand is Pyro Flame)
3. Throw a few Sunlight spears as they approach
4. Forbidden sun as they avoid the soulmass
5. Switch to dark chime of want and GRS if they survived

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 6, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vil posted:

Hosts have an unfortunate tendency to get themselves killed on the sentinels. They are good souls if you win, though. That said, if you're pure-sorcery they're not a very good choice for you for that reason either, since they're magic resistant. If you've got some faith up your sleeve though, lightning melts them.

I'm 2 faith short of using lightning spear and I'm saving my souls to buy stuff and improve my gear instead of levelling

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Katana thrusts are much wider than they look. I've been hit by them while standing almost perpendicular to the other party and a good bit away.

It's quite impressive. Not even Claymore stabs are that bad, and you'd think they would be on such a large sword.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Man I'm getting a little bit tired of being eligible for invasions all the time in this game. I enjoy the PVP as a whole but it's annoying to be trying to warp back to majula just to get "Cannot use bonfire", and then having to wait for the invader to actually show up just so we can fight and I can move on.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Red Crown posted:

Speaking of which do you actually get anything for killing an invader? I just summoned and downed my first red phantom after a fine fight and I didn't get jack :( One of my favorite parts of DS1 was that you could rack up mad souls and humanity by being a good PvP fighter.

You get 35% of their level up cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ahaha I just had a host try use his black crystal to send my dark spirit away. He died a coward's death.