Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

DarkHamsterlord posted:

By "drop support" they mean "treat it like the rest of the Virtual Console," which is only one step up from dropping support entirely, really.

This. Hard to have faith in Nintendo when they have handled VC so poorly and still don't have any type of a sensible release schedule.

Oh, where are you, N64 VC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Any amount of GBA games released per week would never satisfy the same people in the thread who complain about virtual console games every time something is or isn't released.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Opinions are pretty split on Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console service, and people (like myself) who aren't satisfied with the service have done a pretty good job of saying why, but the dissenters only ever seem to say "Lay off Nintendo, jeez, nothing makes you people happy!"

So, to the people who are: Why are you satisfied with the Virtual Console as it stands today? What has Nintendo done specifically to garner your support? I'm genuinely curious, because when I look at the VC all I see are problems. I'd like to understand your frame of mind.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Sarchasm posted:

Opinions are pretty split on Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console service, and people (like myself) who aren't satisfied with the service have done a pretty good job of saying why, but the dissenters only ever seem to say "Lay off Nintendo, jeez, nothing makes you people happy!"

So, to the people who are: Why are you satisfied with the Virtual Console as it stands today? What has Nintendo done specifically to garner your support? I'm genuinely curious, because when I look at the VC all I see are problems. I'd like to understand your frame of mind.

Here's a better question who gives a poo poo

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
sometimes it's loving badass to discuss dissenting opinions on the forum for videogame discussion

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As someone with really limited time to play anything, even the current slim WiiU VC offerings have been enough to keep me occupied. And even if there's something I really want to play, there's the Wii VC mode and the potential to get it for a dollar when/if it comes to the WiiU VC. Yeah, everything should be up on the WiiU VC but it's not and there are still easy ways to get that content if you want it.

Plus even though they're doing a not that great job of it Nintendo is still the only option for legal retro console gaming and I appreciate that, I'm old enough to afford games I want to play and I want to show companies that there is an actual interest in older stuff so they keep it around and don't let it disappear into the junk bin. Every time I fill out a play survey on their website I complain about the pace and selection of WiiU VC titles so hopefully other people do that too and maybe they'll respond.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Champeenship posted:

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails will be getting a NA and EU release next week, but no Oz date yet.

This is one of the zillion indie games that was supposed to be out months ago... I think the devs might be ex-Retro or ex-Rare or something? I forget. Game looks pretty okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz4D8BeIfLc

EDIT: ex-Q-Games/Lionhead, I guess that's almost Rare.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

No one should be fully satisfied with Nintendo's current Virtual Console effort, but it has improved since the Wii VC, you get more options and features (even more with GBA games)
My favourite thing is that they make trailers for each VC game, they put some actual effort into showing the whole game and not just the first minute of gameplay.

One thing I can't ignore is that it would have been amazing if the gamepad and TV counted as two GBAs for multiplayer games

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
While I'm at it, two bits of trademark-based news:

Pokken Fighters and Pokken Tournament have been trademarked in Europe now, too, so this probably now more of thing.

Four 'Advance'-related trademarks have been registered by Nintendo in Japan. None of them have Wars in the title, sorry.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pokken Fighter Tournament is so gonna get announced on E3.
So that'll be Dynasty/Zelda and Tekken/Pokemon for maybe 2014, if Bayonetta also gets in there then it'll be a nice year to be a Wii U owner.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sarchasm posted:

I think the Virtual Console, especially if we're including the lineup from back on the regular Wii, is perfectly "satisfactory". It doesn't blow me away, I'm not jumping up and down proclaiming Nintendo's greatness with every spring, but I think some of the doom-and-gloom "Welp, no GBA games this week, looks like Nintendo has forsaken the platform and wants it to fail" is WAAAAAAY overkill.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

g0lbez posted:

sometimes it's loving badass to discuss dissenting opinions on the forum for videogame discussion
It's remarkably less badass when it comes up pretty much every week people don't get what they want, especially since we already have a thread specifically for bitching about how Nintendo steadfastly refuses to do what we want them to do.

I mean, if you think of a new and hilarious way to bitch about Nintendo's poor handling of the Virtual Console, go ahead, but otherwise, it's the pants chat of this thread.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

there is still no chrono trigger on the wiiu vc so gently caress that poo poo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Champeenship posted:

While I'm at it, two bits of trademark-based news:
Four 'Advance'-related trademarks have been registered by Nintendo in Japan. None of them have Wars in the title, sorry.

Motherfuckers... :argh:

Thought maybe Advance Series means they are gonna announce SOMETHING at E3. :ohdear:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

3DS Wars, there done new game in the series.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

What has Nintendo done specifically to garner your support?

They've released products that I want to spend my hard-earned money on, so I do. Seems pretty simple to me.

Here's hoping Minish Cap gets a NA release date soon- I remember it being one of my favorite Zelda games and I want to see if it still holds up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I remember it being one of my favorite Zelda games and I want to see if it still holds up.

Minish Cap is pretty good but it has a few gameplay and pacing issues that hold it back from being great. Regardless of that it's still the most charming Zelda game to date as far as I'm concerned.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Champeenship posted:

Any other series that use Advance in their name besides Wars?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, but the games are called Famicom/Game Boy wars in Japan, so don't get your hopes up.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Justin_Brett posted:

Any other series that use Advance in their name besides Wars?

Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Super Mario Advance 2 (Super Mario World)
Super Mario Advance 3 (Yoshi's Island)
Super Mario Advance 4 (Super Mario Bros. 3)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love that Nintendo just KEEPS using "shove the name of the system into the title" as the be-all end-all naming strategy.

I guess it reduces confusion on what system a given game is for though...

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I love that Nintendo just KEEPS using "shove the name of the system into the title" as the be-all end-all naming strategy.

I guess it reduces confusion on what system a given game is for though...

my favorite is how a lot of early DS games had the initials DS in their titles, like dawn of sorrow and other ones that I can't think of off the top of my head

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

jivjov posted:

Actually, I think they've cut down on that considerably since the GBA and DS. New SMB is the only series I can think of that still does it regularly. Like, even Mario Kart switched to normal sequel numbering.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

romanowski posted:

my favorite is how a lot of early DS games had the initials DS in their titles, like dawn of sorrow and other ones that I can't think of off the top of my head

They still do it sometimes. Kirby Triple Deluxe (Kirby 3D).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Super Mario 3D World

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

romanowski posted:

Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits
Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Scratch-O posted:

Actually, I think they've cut down on that considerably since the GBA and DS. New SMB is the only series I can think of that still does it regularly. Like, even Mario Kart switched to normal sequel numbering.

Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Pokémon Rumble U

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

less laughter posted:

Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Pokémon Rumble U

Would Pokemon Battle Revolution count due to it being named back when the Wii was going by it's code name?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SeANMcBAY posted:

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. Also 3 D's.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It should've been a Dedede pun. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SilverSupernova posted:

Would Pokemon Battle Revolution count due to it being named back when the Wii was going by it's code name?

It's also sort of named after a lovely beer.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

less laughter posted:

Odd you would include Mr. Driller but forget Dig Dug: Digging Strike.

Or my personal favorite, Resident Evil: Deadly Silence. Way to conjure up the image of a fart there, dudes.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Louisgod posted:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow too.

romanowski posted:

my favorite is how a lot of early DS games had the initials DS in their titles, like dawn of sorrow

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Yeah well I capitalized mine, therefore it's better.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The main character of Trauma Center: Under the Knife was named Derek Stiles. In the Wii remake they added a new playable doctor named Nozomi Weaver.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They also named the DS Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which can either be a reference to the fact that the 3DS takes SD cards in the SD card slot, or if you turn it around it's Dragon Shadow, which maybe refers to Developers System, and if you take Fire Emblem and mix the letters around it spells Rib Elf Em Me, which may be a hint as to what Nintendo will name their next console?? Makes you think.....

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Louisgod posted:

They also named the DS Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which can either be a reference to the fact that the 3DS takes SD cards in the SD card slot, or if you turn it around it's Dragon Shadow, which maybe refers to Developers System, and if you take Fire Emblem and mix the letters around it spells Rib Elf Em Me, which may be a hint as to what Nintendo will name their next console?? Makes you think.....

Nintendo's next console is obviously going to be the Nintendo 3DU. :rolleyes:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

JordanKai posted:

Nintendo's next console is obviously going to be the Nintendo 3DU. :rolleyes:

Not enough initials. 3DSU or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is the loving stupidest name for a game I have ever