Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

communism is to capitalism as google is to apple

which is to say they're both poo poo and we should follow the leading light of fascism (IBM and the mainframe paradigm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

communism is to capitalism as google is to apple, clowns all around

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Broken Machine posted:

I don't think it matters as much as you'd expect what governmental model is adopted, but more the cultural norms that determine how it actually functions. The democratic model in Denmark isn't that different than the US in ways, but it functions better mostly because of their norms. If the US were more prosperous country with different norms, the laws and governance may be administered similarly, but the results would be quite different.

It's like anything else it works great on paper and then people just ruin everything.

yeah if only the most prosperous county in recorded history were a little more prosperous

lmao get out of here

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

heres my lf carepost farts lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cygni posted:

lf carepost farts lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

in theory you can disable annotations here

but sometimes they still show up

and in a few weeks it'll forget that you disabled 'em

also http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ still doesn't have results for my area and isp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

also http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ still doesn't have results for my area and isp

thats because theres no quality :laugh:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cocoa Crispies posted:

reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

in theory you can disable annotations here

but sometimes they still show up

and in a few weeks it'll forget that you disabled 'em

ha i'm in loving DC and there's no results

siliconvalleynotunderstandingtheresanoutsideworld.html

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
aaaahahaha gently caress you google

wait, you mean we can make more money by utilizing our deep pockets to sign exclusive deals with carriers to gently caress our competitors? *quietly abandons net neutrality*

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
spoiler alert: there's a small handful of carriers in this country. all of them will somehow become HD verified while other streaming services just won't cut it for some reason

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

aaaahahaha gently caress you google

wait, you mean we can make more money by utilizing our deep pockets to sign exclusive deals with carriers to gently caress our competitors? *quietly abandons net neutrality*

google signed direct transit agreements and placing in-network cdns starting in about 2003 dude

why do idiots keep thinking this has anything to do with net neutrality

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

ha i'm in loving DC and there's no results

siliconvalleynotunderstandingtheresanoutsideworld.html

probably aren't any results in sv either

surprised google only took four months to forget about this project and abanadon it forever, it usually takes over a year

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it's gonna be pretty tough to meet their standards unless you sign those deals with them! there may be another way though...

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there's 12 ISPs shown for me lol

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

this ones the worst

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

foogletube

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

well that makes sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

communism doesn't work because people in general are greedy and the people in charge are especially greedy and gently caress it up for everyone.

this is also the reason that capitalism doesn't work, incidentally.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It's debatable whether the current US model is even really democratic. I'm not really too personally interested in economic theory but I do keep up on it somewhat.

There was a good interview with Bill Moyers and Krugman discussing Piketty's Capital a few weeks ago on Moyers' show.
Here's a video of the interview and a transcript. The reaction to Capital has been fairly hilarious, there are some lol Forbes articles about it

But anyway Moyers had a monologue after the interview, and he said:

Bill Moyers posted:

Listen, there’s a big study coming out in the fall from Martin Gilens at Princeton and Benjamin Page at Northwestern, based on data collected between 1981 and 2002. Their conclusion, quote, “… America’s claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened … the preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy.”

Sad, that it’s come to this. The drift toward oligarchy that Thomas Piketty describes in his formidable book has become a mad dash, and it will overrun us, and overwhelm us, unless we stop it.

Looking forward to that study.

I actually like Google okay, they have good services if you're a small business. It does suck how they abruptly drop things or modify interfaces, often with little input from the outside.

Butts

:yosbutt:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

new lenovo chromebook :woop:

you can fold the screen back!

but that's as far back as it'll fold

280$

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

al jazeera posted:

Email exchanges between National Security Agency Director Gen. Keith Alexander and Google executives Sergey Brin and Eric Schmidt suggest a far cozier working relationship between some tech firms and the U.S. government than was implied by Silicon Valley brass after last year’s revelations about NSA spying…

A Google representative declined to answer specific questions about Brin’s and Schmidt’s relationship with Alexander or about Google’s work with the government.

“We work really hard to protect our users from cyberattacks, and we always talk to experts — including in the U.S. government — so we stay ahead of the game,” the representative said in a statement to Al Jazeera. “It’s why Sergey attended this NSA conference.”

Brin responded to [National Security Agency Director Gen.] Alexander the following day even though the head of the NSA didn’t use the appropriate email address when contacting the co-chairman.

“Hi Keith, looking forward to seeing you next week. FYI, my best email address to use is [redacted],” Brin wrote. “The one your email went to — sergey.brin@google.com — I don’t really check.”

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

It's debatable whether the current US model is even really democratic. I'm not really too personally interested in economic theory but I do keep up on it somewhat.

There was a good interview with Bill Moyers and Krugman discussing Piketty's Capital a few weeks ago on Moyers' show.
Here's a video of the interview and a transcript. The reaction to Capital has been fairly hilarious, there are some lol Forbes articles about it

I actually like Google okay, they have good services if you're a small business. It does suck how they abruptly drop things or modify interfaces, often with little input from the outside.

Butts

carlin was right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Broken Machine posted:

Butts

microsoft has better services for small business too. actual exchange, for one, so you're not stuck using some POS sync connector with outlook. and they have an actual product support lifecycle, so you know they're not just going to one day drop support for imap/caldav/activesync/whatever without telling anyone.

i used google apps for business for a couple years, i moved everything to office 365 as part of the beta program a few years ago and it is so much better it's not even funny.

google is poo poo for business because products and features live or die at the whims of the ballpit spergs. you literally don't know if a business critical feature will exist in a week

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

microsoft has better services for small business too. actual exchange, for one, so you're not stuck using some POS sync connector with outlook. and they have an actual product support lifecycle, so you know they're not just going to one day drop support for imap/caldav/activesync/whatever without telling anyone.

i used google apps for business for a couple years, i moved everything to office 365 as part of the beta program a few years ago and it is so much better it's not even funny.

google is poo poo for business because products and features live or die at the whims of the ballpit spergs. you literally don't know if a business critical feature will exist in a week

office 365 also has real support from human beings

gently caress posting in a support forum and praying that a goog employee c&ps faq passages at you during an outage

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

To: vp northwest division
Re: Critical Outage on Google document delaying quarterly report

read the man page u fgt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my boss used azure to setup a lab environment for testing some sql server stuff and now hes fully on board the clod. If we can ever convince the ceo to go cloud we'd probably move everyone to 365 the next day and then start planning to move any infrastructure we can to azure/aws

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm actually warming up to the idea of exchange as SaaS. but gently caress migrating mailboxes to smb accounts.

exchange online supports direct migration from exchange server, office 365, which is identical feature wise, does not. you can only migrate mailboxes by exporting to PST, then importing to the new account.

the new server essentials role does native azure ad integration and office 365/exchange integration out of the box. it's ridiculously simple to set up.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Broken Machine posted:

Butts

get out

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i cant feel too bad because if you use glass you shouldnt be allowed oxygen but

Damiya posted:

jimrandomh 29 minutes ago | link

I don't want to trust Google with possession of my photos, but with Glass, there is no choice; it automatically backs up every picture and video to Google+, and you can't stop it from doing so, even with root.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i'm actually warming up to the idea of exchange as SaaS. but gently caress migrating mailboxes to smb accounts.

exchange online supports direct migration from exchange server, office 365, which is identical feature wise, does not. you can only migrate mailboxes by exporting to PST, then importing to the new account.

the new server essentials role does native azure ad integration and office 365/exchange integration out of the box. it's ridiculously simple to set up.

office 365 has a full exchange online console. you can do proper migrations with it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Caged posted:

office 365 has a full exchange online console. you can do proper migrations with it.

afik the exchange server integration is only available with the Ex plans, not the Px small business plans. you can't mix the plans within a domain and the per license cost of the Px plans is lower so it tends to be what businesses with les than 25 licenses are using.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if someone from ms could basically hire a couple of google people to figure out how to price their poo poo better it'd be a hit

ed - and maybe someone from apple to figure out how to not have 12 loving skus for each version of their products

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-x-head-says-no-google-jetpacks-coming/

google pr labs getting pr for "cancelled" projects

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

if someone from ms could basically hire a couple of google people to figure out how to price their poo poo better it'd be a hit

ed - and maybe someone from apple to figure out how to not have 12 loving skus for each version of their products

yeah when i read poo poo like

afik the exchange server integration is only available with the Ex plans, not the Px small business plans. you can't mix the plans within a domain and the per license cost of the Px plans is lower so it tends to be what businesses with les than 25 licenses are using.

i just think "what if you only had one plan that was $5 per seat-month or $50 per seat-year"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the people who do their pricing and licensing are the real power at microsoft, every product they make that doesn't have a dozen skus and hundreds of crazy pricing rules dies

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i just think "what if you only had one plan that was $5 per seat-month or $50 per seat-year"

then microsoft makes much less money out of the people they can currently trick.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why do that when you can have 15 plans covering every price point with every level of feature and product availability spread amongst them.

some of the features may or may not be listed on the license comparison page, because those features are specific to types of licenses, and are enumerated elsewhere in a document you won't find unless you know the specific name this week to search for.

it's like a secret menu for your SaaS

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah when i read poo poo like

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-all-office-365-for-business-plans-FX104051403.aspx

See also
Office 365 ProPlus
Education plans
Government plans
Nonprofit plans
FAQ
Office for home

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also azure is more expensive than aws, although you can really easily accuse aws of being cryptic as gently caress about pricing models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

also azure is more expensive than aws, although you can really easily accuse aws of being cryptic as gently caress about pricing models

azure also has separate pricing for storage based on the intended use. backup storage cost several times more per gb than standard storage, because reasons.

• Locked thread