Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Did we find out what Popeye's last name was?

No. :argh:

BC

What? :crossarms:

Nancy

What? No. This is impossible.

Fritzi was Miss Jr. Three Rocks 1978

and was Nancy's age when she saw The Nutty Professor when it came out in cinemas

and Phil was a teenager in 1989

so there is absolutely no way that he is a year older than her. :colbert:

The Pajama Diaries

What's a worker's permit? :confused:

Ziggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What's with her expression in the final panel? UNF. Such a weird comic, especially when they go demon black eyes.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Tiggum posted:

BC

What? :crossarms:

Nancy

and was Nancy's age when she saw The Nutty Professor when it came out in cinemas

and Phil was a teenager in 1989

so there is absolutely no way that he is a year older than her. :colbert:

Noodling is catching fish with your hands, not your nose. The guy pointing that out is going to get hit with a fish. Why the other guy has a fish on his nose to begin with... Because if he didn't, they couldn't make that "joke".

And, of course he is, how unwholesome would it be if the lady in the relationship was older???

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The Nutty Professor

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The sleeping potion was in the ice cubes. The visitor who drank slowly gave them time to melt while the other visitor didn't.

Slylock Fox

You're completely missing the not-so-subtle darts to the face and brain in a jar message, Slylock. Count Weirdly means business.

Moose and Molly

Every once in a while Moose and Molly reveals a dark underside hidden beneath the harmless goofy veneer.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

catlord posted:

Wait, you're just going to let a baby wander into the tool shed unsupervised? You are the worst parents.

Given that he was pretty ok with the baby being hanged for piracy, proper supervision probably isn't very high on Popeye's list.

Also I bet the Horrible Surname That Must Not Be Mentioned was/is going to be something completely predictable and lame like "Landlubber".

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

The Sezza posted:

Noodling is catching fish with your hands, not your nose. The guy pointing that out is going to get hit with a fish. Why the other guy has a fish on his nose to begin with... Because if he didn't, they couldn't make that "joke".
The guy with the fish on his nose is Clumsy Carp, who is (or was) regularly depicted with his head in a river watching fish. Presumably he was doing this when a fish bit his nose, providing the obvious setup to a joke about noodling, a "beloved" American "cultural touchstone".

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tiggum posted:

What's a worker's permit? :confused:

In parts of the US (Massachusetts where I grew up had it, I don't know about other states) you need to get a worker's permit to get a job if you're under 18/not yet graduated from high school. It's generally super easy to get and takes like 10 minutes at city hall. My dad made me get one when I was 14 so I could start working like a good little American or something.

I think it's actually more for employers to prove they aren't exploiting child labor or something than for kids since they need it when you give them your tax info/etc.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Wait, is this the Ted thing again? Or, no, that was in Las Vegas.

Non Sequitur

Heavenly Nostrils is still behind a day.

Kliban's Cats

Chest waders with a tail pocket. Who knew? :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 5/6/2003

Is that even possible for the ocean? I mean, yeah, maybe if you're in a bay, or behind a breakwall, but I've never seen the regular old ocean calm. Ever.

Zits

That chair's from the late 60s, so yeah, it's definitely retro. If your recliner's older, Walt, you must've had it recovered about 10 times.

Kevin & Kell

:barf:

Nemi

:3:

I'll post the rest of those old MAD comics a little later.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Well then, shall we get right to it?
Cul-de-sac crime in the suburbs!

The Creeps Happy birthday, fat creep!

Candorville Jesus Christ, we're in for an entire week of these assholes.

Broom Hilda He's going to lovingly fellate her nose.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Tactical full bore meddling, run man, you are trapped!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Nancy

As much as I hate the whole stupid NOSTALGIA thing in Nancy, I love how this highlights just how much Phil's bulked up since he reappeared. It's not like it was even a slow progression or anything, was it? It was just old appearance to Slab Bulkhead overnight. Plus he gained like three feet of height.

coronatae posted:

I've said it in previous threads and I'll de-lurk to say it again: Dinette Set owns. It is full of disgusting deplorable people and if I wanted to explain the ugly and ignorant side of America to someone I would use this comic as the example. Always post it. It is amazing.
I'll admit I didn't like it when it was first posted way back when, but then when I realized it was a "laughing at" comic not a "laughing with" comic I realized how good it is.

The Dinette Set

Shouldn't that be "Prez sez"?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Jack Kemp was the Republican VP nominee in '96, and Housing Secretary from '89 to '93.

:laugh:

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_It

In Finnish, the last line was literally "This isn't making you take a piss", meaning "I'm not trying to trick you / I'm not joking around". Thankfully English has a similar-ish phrase.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Dinette Set is my favourite comic in the papers today, but I would never post it. Combined with Ballard Street my posts would just reek too much of Quiet Desperation Comix.

Pooch Café

There are no spoken lines in this comic. It is just a dog silently running in circles on a rooftop.

Ballard Street

An overdressed man silently walking in circles on a lawn.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

The only question here is "How soon is she going guilt the high bidder with her army son?"

I don't get this mentality. I really don't. Why wouldn't you wait until the last possible minute to bid on an auction on ebay? The way it's setup, even by setting a max bid, you're setting yourself up for failure. On top of that, you're probably going to end up spending more as you get bid up to your max.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I don't get this mentality. I really don't. Why wouldn't you wait until the last possible minute to bid on an auction on ebay? The way it's setup, even by setting a max bid, you're setting yourself up for failure. On top of that, you're probably going to end up spending more as you get bid up to your max.

I dunno, I've won a few auctions because I set a max bid and the last-second-rush didn't manage to top it in time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Since the age of 6 you've lived, eaten and breathed basketball...every waking moment was dedicated to practicing, working out, media appearances, agent meetings, and carefully tailored schedules. Now, at the ripe old age of 26, you'll have to find something completely new to do! So uh...how 'bout Mars?

Being 26 is not old even in the NBA. LeBron James didn't win his first championship until he was 27, and he's arguably very much in his prime at 29. This strip, it just... aargh!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

RevKrule posted:

The practice is sniping and it often results in the lowest possible price because there is no time left for anyone to bid again. Also, if an item has 0 bids and someone bids on it, that makes the item look more desirable. By waiting until the end, you avoid the attention of other bidders.

Some people have bots or something that do the sniping for them. Now that's going too far, I say.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Congratulations on misreading "wouldn't" as "would" I guess.

:doh:

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 6, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Is anyone else having trouble seeing these?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm not. They load fine and are huge images so legible enough. The real problem is fitting them onto your screen.

Ema Nymton posted:

The practice is sniping and it often results in the lowest possible price because there is no time left for anyone to bid again. Also, if an item has 0 bids and someone bids on it, that makes the item look more desirable. By waiting until the end, you avoid the attention of other bidders.

Some people have bots or something that do the sniping for them. Now that's going too far, I say.

Congratulations on misreading "wouldn't" as "would" I guess.

Berger & Wyse

???

Tom Gauld

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not. They load fine and are huge images so legible enough. The real problem is fitting them onto your screen.

This particular strip is just not loading for me. Bizarre.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

WTF is so shameful about going into a flower shop, especially around Mother's Day? Grocery stores sell flowers too (and probably much cheaper than a florist would).

Scary Gary

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 15, 1927)

You don't hear a lot of saints starting a speech with chopping up people.

Peanuts (May 9, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (May 8, 1956)

And while we leave the exploratory committee, here's a bonus filler article placed somewhere near the comics page that shows you how newspapers used to promote strips.

Droodles (May 8, 1956)

Out Our Way (December 1-2, 1924)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mr. Squishy posted:

Berger & Wyse

???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_bun

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I hope Inspector Danger never suspects me of harboring a criminal, I regularly have an extra mug on my table because I didn't bother to wash it yet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unfortunately, inspector Danger's lack of a warrant resulted in the evidence being thrown out of court. A youtube video circulating his numerous slurs against little people was released anonymously, resulting in a full internal investigation and eventual dismissal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So the assumption here was that the guy who just escaped from prison and was on the lam managed to get an actual cane for his hurt leg and would have stopped somewhere to buy a toothbrush.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So the assumption here was that the guy who just escaped from prison and was on the lam managed to get an actual cane for his hurt leg and would have stopped somewhere to buy a toothbrush.

Since he escaped from the prison hospital, presumably he got the cane there and took it with him.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

And my point is proven! That smarmy rear end in a top hat overheard them talking and now is going to go home and setup his snipebot to gently caress this bitch over. Why? Because he's sick of hearing her talk about how she keeps getting free comics because she knows someone in the military.

I hate you funkyverse but I can't stop reading you :(.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RevKrule posted:

And my point is proven! That smarmy rear end in a top hat overheard them talking and now is going to go home and setup his snipebot to gently caress this bitch over. Why? Because he's sick of hearing her talk about how she keeps getting free comics because she knows someone in the military.

I hate you funkyverse but I can't stop reading you :(.

No, see, an evil person would have angry eyebrows all the time. That guy's wearing the ubiquitous haggard false smile that half-heartedly masks his complete emotional death and resignation to the unceasing tortures of life. That shows he's good.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Why don't you install a sub-routine to fix his broken neck, and while you're at it explain the plot because I have no idea how we hopped from immortal celebrities -> brain ninjas -> flying a space garbage-truck. poo poo comic.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Helicity posted:

Why don't you install a sub-routine to fix his broken neck, and while you're at it explain the plot because I have no idea how we hopped from immortal celebrities -> brain ninjas -> flying a space garbage-truck. poo poo comic.

I swear we must be missing strips. It's just too incoherent. Wanamingo says he's not skipping them so maybe it's a fault with gocomics or the author, but I just feel like there's no way we're getting every page. Either that or the author is the single worst person on earth with pacing.

I think his memory was wiped and he was dumped back on Earth or wherever he is now while investigating the immortal celebrity chick, then the ninjas were the representation of his brain psychosomatically fighting against them trying to dredge up the destroyed/buried memories. Now they're on the way back to the celebrity's place to figure out why his memory was jacked up. Also the bikini hoverboarders that got the crap beaten out of them earlier are now on his side, I guess?

The story itself isn't too complicated when you read it all at once, it's just told in the worst way and like I said it gives me the distinct feeling that I'm missing at least several panels between each page.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

You can't even tell that thing is an unusually short walking stick instead of one of those umbrellas that folds up small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EasyEW posted:

And while we leave the exploratory committee, here's a bonus filler article placed somewhere near the comics page that shows you how newspapers used to promote strips.

• Locked thread