Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kid Gloves posted:

It's too loving corny to exist.
Counterpoint: Scooter has been around for 20 years and still gets gigs. That said I hadn't heard that Selfie song and it's bad, like I'd rather listen to Scooter bad. That lazy sawtooth sound seems like it's getting long in the tooth and "bitchy woman talking" songs are nearly universally awful [racking my brain for one that isn't].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

qirex posted:

Counterpoint: Scooter has been around for 20 years and still gets gigs. That said I hadn't heard that Selfie song and it's bad, like I'd rather listen to Scooter bad. That lazy sawtooth sound seems like it's getting long in the tooth and "bitchy woman talking" songs are nearly universally awful [racking my brain for one that isn't].

Scooter never took themselves seriously though

Re: bitchy talking songs I can think of one that is actually good

Eddie Amador - Psycho Ex Girlfriend

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sir Mix a Lot

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Kid Gloves posted:

Selfie is the end of EDM.

Awooga was parody and look how that turned out.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Kid Gloves posted:

Selfie is the end of EDM. Seriously, I can't hate it because it was basically inevitable but it's the beginning of the end of this whole scene. It's indistinguishable from parody. Dance music will maintain, as it always has, but this whole big room #UMF garbage is going to self-destruct and I legit believe Selfie is the end. It's too loving corny to exist.

Jesus. Dramatic much?

Selfie is self-parody. I don't know how you can see it as anything but parody in the same vein as Phat rear end Drop. The lyrics are hilarious, the "bitchy woman talking" style perfectly fits said lyrics, and the "lazy" sound is just icing. It's high quality "lazy sound" in the style of Knife Party. (Not that Knife Party is anywhere near lazy, but it has the same vibe. Like they were trying for an homage.)

I don't especially like the big room sound - I've never been too big a fan of "here's a loud noise with no melodic content whatsoever, let me just play with pitch automation" - but there are a few good songs in the genre, for various reasons.

I guess I just don't see how you can't give the artists credit for lampooning the club culture that likes that sound. And to call it the downfall of the entire genre, well. That's a little optimistic, don't you think?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It's super popular, though, has been at the top of the iTunes Charts for at least a month, if not more, meaning people are actually paying money to buy and listen to it. When a parody of vapid people gets that popular it means people don't consider it parody anymore (see krayshawn).

What I don't understand though is the popularity of Minecraft-themed songs on itunes.. It seems like music made by little kids but it actually makes money. The dance category on the itunes singles chart is so weird. I look to it to figure out what's popular and find stuff I never heard about (like branchez) but often it's just confusing as hell.

Looking at the charts on Beatport is even worse though... I don't understand how such terrible music makes money, especially when there's so much awesome work being given away for free on soundcloud and Facebook.

Edit: I mean, I live in CHINA and people listen to Selfie here, even though they have no idea what it means. To them it's just a fun-sounding catchy song like Gangnam Style or whatever.

bad day fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 6, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
The hi-hat noises in Animals is actually cause for hearing damage. That pinging noise is almost like the successful result of "let's find the noise most likely to give someone tinnitus."

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

bad day posted:

It's super popular, though, has been at the top of the iTunes Charts for at least a month, if not more, meaning people are actually paying money to buy and listen to it. When a parody of vapid people gets that popular it means people don't consider it parody anymore (see krayshawn).

I don't know that this is the case. I think it's so popular because, to quote one of my friends, "I know this person." Everyone can relate to the type of person portrayed in this song, we've all met her (though it isn't always a woman) and so it has a universal appeal.

Phat rear end Drop was about the music, Selfie is about the people.

bad day posted:

Edit: I mean, I live in CHINA and people listen to Selfie here, even though they have no idea what it means. To them it's just a fun-sounding catchy song like Gangnam Style or whatever.

Well sure if you play anything enough times people will like it. It's really catchy. It's not deep or complex or anything, but it's catchy.

Terrible music makes money because people get immersed in it and people like hearing songs that they know how they go, news at 11.

I think it's super funny that a lot of the people this song is making fun of enjoy it and listen to it with no self-awareness at all.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Dessert Rose posted:

I don't know that this is the case. I think it's so popular because, to quote one of my friends, "I know this person." Everyone can relate to the type of person portrayed in this song, we've all met her (though it isn't always a woman) and so it has a universal appeal.

Phat rear end Drop was about the music, Selfie is about the people.

:haw:

I wouldn't do too much soul searching on this subject. It's plain and clear that the majority of audiences who identify with EDM as "their" genre just like what their friends like and what they hear most often played in the club. Most clubbers aren't trawling through hundreds sets on Soundcloud from obscure artists to find music they really identify with, they're just looking for something to have fun with their friends to.

EDM is music for mass consumption, not some deep artistic statement. If you want to please a generic club audience you'll probably get some crowd response playing that kind of thing. Most big time DJs outside of more refined genres are generally going for this type of reaction to their sets, ipso facto.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
EDM isn't for mass consumption. EDM is a way of life. It's about the ups and downs.. The breaks and the sickest, filthiest drops.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

dj bobby bieber posted:

EDM isn't for mass consumption. EDM is a way of life. It's about the ups and downs.. The breaks and the sickest, filthiest drops.

You forgot to mention PLUR.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

b0red posted:

You forgot to mention PLUR.

Do EDM kids even know about PLUR? That's early 2000s rave scene poo poo. Pre-festies, brah.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bay Area lore has this as the canonical version of the creation of PLUR
http://hyperreal.org/raves/spirit/plur/Origin_of_PLUR.html

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

dj bobby bieber posted:

Do EDM kids even know about PLUR? That's early 2000s rave scene poo poo. Pre-festies, brah.

Still very much alive in the DC rave scene but I guess that isn't really EDM but than again I guess it depends on what you go to and if it's a warehouse rave or not.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ugh warehouses, how disgusting. Why would anyone choose to party in a dark dirty warehouse? There's no comfy booths to sit in, no bar service, no VIP lounge, no photographers taking hot pix of me and my friends, my sweet Ed Hardy threads get dirty and my primo leather shoes get scuffed up, the humidity makes my hair all weird looking. Why would you ever want to party in a warehouse?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Kid Gloves posted:

Selfie is the end of EDM. Seriously, I can't hate it because it was basically inevitable but it's the beginning of the end of this whole scene. It's indistinguishable from parody. Dance music will maintain, as it always has, but this whole big room #UMF garbage is going to self-destruct and I legit believe Selfie is the end. It's too loving corny to exist.

Uhh, what do you mean indistinguishable from parody? Do you actually honest-to-god believe that there isn't some parody happening there?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Ugh warehouses, how disgusting. Why would anyone choose to party in a dark dirty warehouse? There's no comfy booths to sit in, no bar service, no VIP lounge, no photographers taking hot pix of me and my friends, my sweet Ed Hardy threads get dirty and my primo leather shoes get scuffed up, the humidity makes my hair all weird looking. Why would you ever want to party in a warehouse?

I wish I had a funny way to reply to this but warehouse raves are the tits. Everyone there is there for 1 of two reasons or both. The music or the Drugs, or both. I generally get the vibe that 75% are for the music and the drugs are just a added bonus. Warehouse raves are the tits if the DJs are playing what you dig. It'd be nice if I could snag a warehouse rave gig but I don't think deep sub bass dubstep is appreciated outside of the deep sessions crew in DC. It's mostly hardstyle, high frequency dubstep(skrillex sounding) and Drum and Bass. All of the ones I've been to are DnB which are fun as hell but not what I like to mix.

b0red fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 7, 2014

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Now read this in the Selfie girl's voice.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

The macs have really high build quality, made from aluminium and can take a hit. Because they are a closed system you generally have a high chance that if somethings works on one mac it will run on most of them both hardware and software. Dont run into issues like firewire chipsets being completely unusable for music applications or strange firmware problems. I use a pc for music production because I love all the crazy stuff you can find and I really don't like apples business model but I use a 2007 macbook for playing out cos it just works. When you are meant to be playing to an audience and there is no sound happening troubleshooting takes years off your life.

Thanks! I'd kinda want to stick with Windows for production for the exact same reasons, but I can't afford a new Windows laptop AND a mac. If I were to go this route, how old/cheap a Macbook or whatever could I get away with without buying something that'll soon be useless?

b0red posted:

Hardcore as in rave hardcore? That's pretty sick. I thought for sure that scene was dead but I guess there are still little pockets floating around much like jungle still has. Also on the Mac thing. My friend does a lot of frat DJing at his big top5 college, he has a samsung laptop ($1500+ very nice). He has had it crash on him before in the middle of a set (traktor). Never once have I ever had traktor crash on me and he always insists on using my mac when I come down to mix with him at whatever gig. It'll always be reliable and everything will almost always be plug and play.

Yeah, there's a small but very much alive scene in Tokyo, I could link a few artists if you're interested. (To be honest though, I dunno if it'd qualify as 'rave hardcore,' specific labels still confuse the hell out of me, but that sounds right. Though there is a speed/terrorcore scene with a lot of overlap.)

I went to a show over the weekend and kept an eye on the laptops used by the 2nd-floor DJs, and the majority of them weren't Macs to my surprise, and I've had a mac-using friend say the same that he's not 100% sold that you have to have one. But I like the idea of a 'cheap' gig Mac since I wouldn't be using my laptop only for DJing (and would be afraid of messing something up). Was mostly just curious if the OP still stood as the general rule of thumb or if I could save a little money by sticking with Windows.

Lock fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 7, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lock posted:

Thanks! I'd kinda want to stick with Windows for production for the exact same reasons, but I can't afford a new Windows laptop AND a mac. If I were to go this route, how old/cheap a Macbook or whatever could I get away with without buying something that'll soon be useless?

Yeah, there's a small but very much alive scene in Tokyo, I could link a few artists if you're interested. (To be honest though, I dunno if it'd qualify as 'rave hardcore,' specific labels still confuse the hell out of me, but that sounds right. Though there is a speed/terrorcore scene with a lot of overlap.)

I went to a show over the weekend and kept an eye on the laptops used by the 2nd-floor DJs, and the majority of them weren't Macs to my surprise, and I've had a mac-using friend say the same that he's not 100% sold that you have to have one. But I like the idea of a 'cheap' gig Mac since I wouldn't be using my laptop only for DJing (and would be afraid of messing something up). Was mostly just curious if the OP still stood as the general rule of thumb or if I could save a little money by sticking with Windows.

For the record I picked up an i7 8gig MSI laptop for use with Serato DJ and my DDJ-SX and it's been rock solid, the CPU use meter in Serato barely flickers above 10% all night.

Cost me £650, equivalent Apple is about £1500. No brainer. Even buying a second laptop I've still saved money...

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

b0red posted:

I wish I had a funny way to reply to this but warehouse raves are the tits. Everyone there is there for 1 of two reasons or both. The music or the Drugs, or both. I generally get the vibe that 75% are for the music and the drugs are just a added bonus. Warehouse raves are the tits if the DJs are playing what you dig. It'd be nice if I could snag a warehouse rave gig but I don't think deep sub bass dubstep is appreciated outside of the deep sessions crew in DC. It's mostly hardstyle, high frequency dubstep(skrillex sounding) and Drum and Bass. All of the ones I've been to are DnB which are fun as hell but not what I like to mix.

Warehouse parties are the poo poo! They pretty much represent the humble beginnings of rave and house culture. Sure Frankie Knuckles and Warehouse in Chicago established and laid the groundwork for the genre, but parties outside the clubs, parties in industrial parks in the middle of nowhere and empty basements in the city established the culture and the aura of the scene.

People were partying in secret locations because our music WAS NOT ACCEPTED by popular culture. Parents and the news and even the government detested techno and electronic music as nothing more than a gateway drug to terrible things that would surely corrupt your kids and turn them into scum. People who were into that music at the time couldn't even admit to it in public unless they wanted to be stigmatized or have their families freak out, they could only find companionship with friends and other techno fans at parties.

The irony is that the genre is heralded now and has been the biggest money maker for the music industry. Electronic music use to throw the older generation into a "drat kids!" frenzy, now you hear it being used to advertise minivans and greek yogurt. Fans don't have to hide their allegiances anymore or party in secret spaces. Now everyone and their mother (literally!) loves David Guetta or deadmau5 or SHM and the squeaky clean image make it something fun and safe to admire.

Some of the "danger cool" aspects might still be in the scene, but it's no where to be found among the EDM brand of music/parties. Dance music, techno, house, whatever, went from totally obscure to dangerous taboo to revolutionary art form to product of mass consumption. That evolution is the case with many popular (or once popular) things in the world but the roots of the genre and the scene need to be remembered and respected and appreciated by fans and producers alike.

Dessert Rose posted:

Now read this in the Selfie girl's voice.

I'm gonna get started on this track right away. I'll make billions!

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
If you are spending money on new equipment I simply cannot stress how superior an iPad running Traktor DJ with a Z1 or S2 interface is. People might look at you funny but you can do so many things that just aren't possible without a touchscreen interface, and with the S2 you can still scratch and pitch shift and everything else that's not an option with the z1 or standalone app.

If you already have an interface there's not much point but an s2 plus iPad Air will set you back $1k and be all the equipment you ever need save for headphones.

It's easy as poo poo to lug around and set up, too. It's pretty much plug & play, I can show up at 9:55 for a 10pm gig and start on time. Early, even. I can even build my setlist in the taxi on the way to the club.

bad day fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 7, 2014

Raavn
Jan 30, 2014

"Insert random smartass quote here."

bad day posted:

If you are spending money on new equipment I simply cannot stress how superior an iPad running Traktor DJ with a Z1 or S2 interface is. People might look at you funny but you can do so many things that just aren't possible without a touchscreen interface, and with the S2 you can still scratch and pitch shift and everything else that's not an option with the z1 or standalone app.

If you already have an interface there's not much point but an s2 plus iPad Air will set you back $1k and be all the equipment you ever need save for headphones.

It's easy as poo poo to lug around and set up, too. It's pretty much plug & play, I can show up at 9:55 for a 10pm gig and start on time. Early, even. I can even build my setlist in the taxi on the way to the club.

I don't have the S2 nor Z1. Still, I have an iPad with Traktor as backup and hell yes, I already used it once and nobody noticed the difference.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Whoa I didn't know you could dj with Tracktor on an iPad without a laptop. That's pretty sick. Any limitations compared to the PC version?

Raavn
Jan 30, 2014

revmoo posted:

Whoa I didn't know you could dj with Tracktor on an iPad without a laptop. That's pretty sick. Any limitations compared to the PC version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVNJZTVUXY

Yes, there are. The most notable ones are, without a hardware controller you are entirely bound to sync and doing a proper beatgrid; and the volume faders are not always visible (which I believe they should, since they are an essential part of mixing).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Interesting. Would it work with my X1?

EDIT: X1 + Analog mixer + iPad to be clear.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 7, 2014

Raavn
Jan 30, 2014

revmoo posted:

Interesting. Would it work with my X1?

EDIT: X1 + Analog mixer + iPad to be clear.

Nope, X1 is currently not supported. You can use the iPad + mixer though, if you use a splitter. NI offers their own: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/traktor-for-ios/traktor-dj-cable/

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Anyone had an S2 mk2 for an extended period of time? Have they fixed the mk1's issue where the headphone cue/play/probably other buttons eventually stop registering presses unless you do a rain dance with your fingers on them?

My S2 is getting very irritating to play on because I can't always rely on the play buttons, to say nothing of the mashing I have to do to get my headphone cue to toggle. I wouldn't mind being able to play from my iPad though.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

bad day posted:

I've got an original mini with Traktor DJ, but I picked up my controller before that, otherwise I'd definitely look at the S2. May do it anyway because that'd be an easy out for my Mac worries.

88h88 posted:

For the record I picked up an i7 8gig MSI laptop for use with Serato DJ and my DDJ-SX and it's been rock solid, the CPU use meter in Serato barely flickers above 10% all night.

Cost me £650, equivalent Apple is about £1500. No brainer. Even buying a second laptop I've still saved money...

Awesome, thanks again. That's always my thing whenever I start thinking of Mac laptops.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Raavn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVNJZTVUXY

Yes, there are. The most notable ones are, without a hardware controller you are entirely bound to sync and doing a proper beatgrid; and the volume faders are not always visible (which I believe they should, since they are an essential part of mixing).

If you have a newer Traktor Kontrol s2 none of this is an issue. You are not bound to sync at all. If you have a z1 you are still bound to sync for mixing but it hardly matters if your library is extensive enough - I tend to mix stuff that's in the same tempo and key anyway. Using physical knobs and sliders is so much better than the program menus - with the z1 you get eq, gain, volume, FX, cue volume and mix, and a bandpass filter. Buying the more expensive s2 or s4 unlocks features that aren't in the standalone program. But buying the s4 for iPad use doesn't make sense unless you really want balanced outs because the additional "remix tracks" (whatever those are) don't work with the iPad.

But I'm posting while blending Da Art of Storytelling with LAnd of the Snakes so that's pretty cool too.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Dessert Rose posted:

Anyone had an S2 mk2 for an extended period of time? Have they fixed the mk1's issue where the headphone cue/play/probably other buttons eventually stop registering presses unless you do a rain dance with your fingers on them?

Yeah they seem to be the same kind of buttons as the maschine 2, really nice and springy, no problems after playing almost nightly for a couple months. Having learned to play with records and an analog mixer I'm really impressed with the sliders.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Has anyone had any "vinyl-mode" issues with the DDJ-SX? :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUZpEFZMU0

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1334517

--------------------
Has anyone tried Emulator Pro? I'm curious how it compares to the Traktor mobile application. Judging from the screenshots, it looks far more robust.

https://smithsonmartin.com/products/emulator-pro/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

[quote="cname" post="429360694"]
Has anyone had any "vinyl-mode" issues with the DDJ-SX? :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUZpEFZMU0

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1334517

Definitely a fault somewhere though whether it's software or hardware it's hard to tell, works fine on mine.

Raavn
Jan 30, 2014

cname posted:

Has anyone tried Emulator Pro? I'm curious how it compares to the Traktor mobile application. Judging from the screenshots, it looks far more robust.

https://smithsonmartin.com/products/emulator-pro/

Emulator Pro is just a midi controller, you'll still need to run a full Traktor (or whatever else software you want to use it with) on your laptop.
With Traktor DJ for iPad or iPhone you only need the app, no laptop - it's standalone.

Plus, it only seems to work with Windows Tablets. I had my nightmares with them in terms of response delays and general perfromance. The better option imho is an iPad with TouchOSC (https://hexler.net/software/touchosc)

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
After working with my Numark NDX 400's for the better part of a year I got confident enough with them to ask a friend of mine to put me up for an hour. The way his venue works is that he has 4 or so DJ's play over 4 or 5 hours specializing in different genres. I'm doing a 1 to 2 hour set of progressive/electro house. Can anyone recommend me some tracks I should throw in my set that would go over well with this style?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I'll help you for $150 an hour.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

TheWevel posted:

I'll help you for $150 an hour.

good talk, thanks

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
It's your job to find tracks, not ask for them online.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Play #selfie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone have the Tracktor bug where it refuses to put track info up for certain tracks? I have about 20-30 tracks that even after analyzing multiple times just shows 0 for bpm in the library, even though when I load the track it instantly loads and shows the correct bpm in the player. This basically means I can't sort by bpm and I have to remember the bpm of these tracks by heart.