Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

marktheando posted:

Being a vassal of a huge empire is cool. Lots of fun with plotting and factions and you are free to expand without worrying about being invaded by foreign powers.

It is incredibly fun to do that and it's generally my go to tactic when playing Karen so I can get a head start over the Saffarids and I've found it useful when playing Amalfi to join the Byzantines and take the kingdom of Sicily from within.

Is Judaism considered a branch of Christianity in game? I'm wondering if I'd be able to vassalise the Pope as a Jew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Hambilderberglar posted:

So I'm the Basileus and I have a nice daughter who I matrilineally married off to this nice Karling kid. I made him doux of oultrejordain so their (hopefully greek) babies could take over the place once ol' Bratwurst kicks the bucket. In the meantime however he's got claims on the rump state of East Francia, the tooltip says he'll become my vassal if it's part of my de jure territory or he's part of my dynasty, even if I do press his claims, will he become an independent king, and if he does, will he take the duchy of Oultrejordain with him?

The other guy is wrong, him being landed means he'll become your vassal. The rules are: 1) of your dynasty, 2) part of your de jure territory, or 3) already landed in your realm. The target title must be of a lower rank than your own, which it is here, so he will become your vassal by rule 3.

Also note those are only the rules for pressing his claim yourself. If he inherits the title by succession (or possibly through factioning) the lab *probably* leaves your realm (barring having high CA), but I can't remember for sure

Allyn fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 6, 2014

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Thrasophius posted:

Is Judaism considered a branch of Christianity in game? I'm wondering if I'd be able to vassalise the Pope as a Jew.

Judaism is in the Jewish group, so you're considered an infidel.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Allyn posted:

The other guy is wrong, him being landed means he'll become your vassal. The rules are: 1) of your dynasty, 2) part of your de jure territory, or 3) already landed in your realm. The target title must be of a lower rank than your own, which it is here, so he will become your vassal by rule 3.

I was just going off what he wrote, I don't know the mechanics off the top of my head. Forgot about the third part

Thanks for the info on HIP going to check it out

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a reason why the "Declare War" option wouldn't show up in the diplomacy screen? Playing as the Duchess of Tuscany, I forged a claim on Pisa, invaded, took it, no problem. Now I forged a claim on Piombino, which is owned by a Count who is a vassal to the King of Pisa. When I go to the King of Pisa to try to declare war so I can take Piombino, the option just isn't there. Not greyed out, just no button at all. I can't declare war on the Count of Piombino since he is not independent. What's going on here? I want that province.

If it matters, the King of Pisa also holds Sardinia - his realm right now is the two Sardinian provinces, plus Piombino.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I was just going off what he wrote, I don't know the mechanics off the top of my head. Forgot about the third part

Yeah it's weird the tooltip doesn't include the third one, dunno why. Probably an oversight. It's a common strategy to give a claimant one of your capital duchy provinces, press his claim, then revoke the original county via the intrigue menu -- pressing his claim means he won't hate you for doing it. Then you can rinse and repeat. I remember Arumba doing it loads in his India playthrough.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rynoto posted:

The Historical Immersion Project mod (Here) is working with RoI. It's pretty decent, all considered, especially the events.

Just gonna offer up an alternate position that HIP is awful. Okay, it is very pretty, but the SWMH map is an abomination.

In general though I'm really sad with the kitchen-sink-and-billion-provinces direction the big mods for CK2 have gone, especially the tragicomedy that is CK2+. Somebody with modding experience should just rip out the internal faction stuff and host it separately, that would be amazing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Just gonna offer up an alternate position that HIP is awful. Okay, it is very pretty, but the SWMH map is an abomination.

In general though I'm really sad with the kitchen-sink-and-billion-provinces direction the big mods for CK2 have gone, especially the tragicomedy that is CK2+. Somebody with modding experience should just rip out the internal faction stuff and host it separately, that would be amazing.

You can just install the VIET stuff though and not have to deal with the ridiculous map.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a reason why the "Declare War" option wouldn't show up in the diplomacy screen? Playing as the Duchess of Tuscany, I forged a claim on Pisa, invaded, took it, no problem. Now I forged a claim on Piombino, which is owned by a Count who is a vassal to the King of Pisa. When I go to the King of Pisa to try to declare war so I can take Piombino, the option just isn't there. Not greyed out, just no button at all. I can't declare war on the Count of Piombino since he is not independent. What's going on here? I want that province.

If it matters, the King of Pisa also holds Sardinia - his realm right now is the two Sardinian provinces, plus Piombino.

This sounds like a bug. Does he hold any counties himself? He should have usurped one of his vassal's on losing his last province, but I know I another bug involving taking the last province of a Republic not destroying the duke/king title - maybe this is something similar. The other bug goes away on succession; has the doge died since you took Pisa?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You can just install the VIET stuff though and not have to deal with the ridiculous map.

Yeah I'm down with VIET, I'm just talking about HIP as a whole.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, HiP gives you the option to not run with a crazy map if you don't want to. SWMH is 100% optional.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Allyn posted:

Yeah it's weird the tooltip doesn't include the third one, dunno why. Probably an oversight. It's a common strategy to give a claimant one of your capital duchy provinces, press his claim, then revoke the original county via the intrigue menu -- pressing his claim means he won't hate you for doing it. Then you can rinse and repeat. I remember Arumba doing it loads in his India playthrough.
I should have thought to give him a capital county rather than a whole duchy on my border with the Abbassids. For next time I guess! Thanks for clearing it up, I also thought being landed in my realm would make him my vassal as long as the title I'm pressing is of lower rank than my own, your confirmation means I might become a big swathe of northern Europe richer in one fell swoop. :getin:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

There's a great runestone you can have raised if you're an imbecile, too.

Paradox should add some kind of event chain involving Tjudmund that only a character with an imbecile can get.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kainser posted:

Yeah, HiP gives you the option to not run with a crazy map if you don't want to. SWMH is 100% optional.
This is a pretty key thing to remember. It's very easy to just not install SWMH when you set up HIP.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There's a mod that lets you turn yourself into a republic. It's hella cool.

e: Whelp.jpg

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 7, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

YouTuber posted:

Was the Imperial Reconquest casus belli taken out? I helped push a very very organized Byzantium into reforming it since it was only a few duchy away from doing so. The border gore was annoying so I wanted to fix it and it appears it's missing.

It's still there, but only for anyone holding the e_roman_empire title. I think it also requires your target not be Muslim, so that could be the issue you're running into.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
If your King has no son, but his heir is one of his brothers, will you switch to the brother upon death or just game over?

My initial King had like eleventy billion kids and when he died his entire Empire plunged into chaos. But my current ruler has poo poo stats and one of his brothers, who has much better stats, is heir but is marching on the throne. I'm tempted to throw the war if it means I can switch to him.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 7, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Esroc posted:

If your King has no son, but his heir is one of his brothers, will you switch to the brother upon death or just game over?

My initial King had like eleventy billion kids and when he died his entire Empire slipped into chaos. But my current ruler has poo poo stats and one of his brothers, who has much better stats, is heir but is marching on the throne. I'm tempted to throw the war if it means I can switch to him.

As long as he's in your dynasty you'll switch to him when you die.

But if your current character has no holdings it's gameover. Is he trying to take literally everything? If he's not you could throw the war and then just deal with being a Duke or something until you die and he takes over.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Check the "Surrender" option in the Diplomacy tab and see what the victory conditions would grant your brother. If he usurps all your titles, that's a game over. If you're able to retain a duchy or county or whatever, at some point you'll die and presumably your brother inherits so you'd then play as him. Keep in mind he'll probably gently caress everything up during his tenure as AI King.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Kainser posted:

SWMH is something you should definitely not install, though HiP is pretty good overall. Though to be honest, the best part of HiP is VIET, with the shitload additional plots and ambitions. Even if you prefer to play vanilla in every other aspect, VIET is a must-have. Being able to plot to frame your vassal as a traitor to you and then have it backfire and have all your vassals loathe you for trying to manipulate the feudal contract in that way is the sort of thing that CK2 should have in vanilla.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since we're talking about these mods, what exactly do HIP, VIET, and SWMH do? Also, what does that last one stand for? The first two are apparently "Historical Immersion Project" and "Vanilla Immersion Events and Traits" respectively, and they get recommended a lot (including when I myself asked for recommendations), while the latter one doesn't and has something to do with maps, but beyond that their functions are a mystery.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

It's a weak claim, tooltip says it can be inherited, anything I can do to increase the chance of one or more of his children inheriting the claim?

Weak inheritable claims are inherited by all the claim-holder's children as uninheritable weak claims.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 7, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any tips on elective monarchies? I had a brief scare when a bunch of my vassals decided to support some Count for my primary title instead of my son, even though I was at or near 100 relations with all of them. I successfully plotted to kill the guy off so the succession is safe now, but I'm wondering what plays into the electors' choices.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
HiP is basically an amalgamation of a few different mods, including VIET and SWMH. The goal of HiP is basically to flesh out and tweak the game balance without changing too much. Part of it changes up crown laws, other bits make your characters' traits matter more by restricting some of the actions you can take based on them. Other bits of it also tweak some of the wonky behavior of the portraits, change up the look of the UI and map, and so on. One of the biggest pluses of HiP is that is comes with a handy installer that let's you easily pick and chose which mods are included. This is great because it lets you combine a bunch of good mods without having to tweak them for compatibility yourself, and also lets you skip the dumb poo poo.

VIET is mostly about adding more events, flavor, more plots and intrigue options, and traits. It's especially nice for fleshing out some of the cultures and religions, like non-Norse non-Zoroastrian pagans that don't have many events in vanilla.

I don't know what SWMH stands for, but I know what it does. It changes up the map itself by altering and adding provinces (as opposed to other mods that just change up the map graphics). This could be cool, but whoever makes SWMH seems to love adding a billion tiny pointless provinces and holdings. Tiny obscure islands too small to even click on become full fledged counties. Duchies are given nonsensical and noncontiguous dejure borders

I personally don't like SWMH because a: This is dumb and b: all these extra totally pointless counties can make the game run slower. I do really like the rest of HiP though, and as everyone else said not installing SWMH is super easy.

Talky fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 7, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bold Robot posted:

Any tips on elective monarchies? I had a brief scare when a bunch of my vassals decided to support some Count for my primary title instead of my son, even though I was at or near 100 relations with all of them. I successfully plotted to kill the guy off so the succession is safe now, but I'm wondering what plays into the electors' choices.

I'm wondering this too. I have a nephew who's heir to East Francia, and I'd really really like to merge the Byzantines with the West like that. I tried nominating him, but my vassals preferred one of my sons 14 to 8. My nephew's just a baby, is that it?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
SWMH stands for "SomeWhat More Historical" as in the SomeWhat More Historical Map

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Darkrenown posted:

A wicked Pope, or an Anti-Pope or two can tak MA pretty fast :catholic:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried getting the Antichrist elected Pope? Anything interesting happen. Is his papal name Pope Peter II?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

My assumption as to how the system works is that electors vote for the person who has the highest 'succession score', a number which includes a whole bunch of stuff including the sitting ruler's endorsement (and how much they like the sitting ruler), the stats and traits of the various contenders for the throne, and even the number of people supporting a single candidate (it's why you usually see two or three people in the race, not fifteen different little factions). I also assume this score is calculated differently based on personal traits (ambitious rulers prefer a weak king), If your son had enough negative traits and the count had enough positive ones, I think people will vote for him regardless.

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm wondering this too. I have a nephew who's heir to East Francia, and I'd really really like to merge the Byzantines with the West like that. I tried nominating him, but my vassals preferred one of my sons 14 to 8. My nephew's just a baby, is that it?

I think the same thing's going on here. Babies (and women) are harder to get elected, and your sons tend to garner a bit of a bonus by virtue of being born in the purple.

In addition, if your chosen heir is differently-cultured your chances of getting elected are tiny, if you're differently-religioned they're zero.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

There's a mod that lets you turn yourself into a republic. It's hella cool.

e: Whelp.jpg

What's up with that font? It doesn't look like the vanilla one.

Also, anybody got good character suggestions for a gimmick game with the goal of breeding the Sayyid trait into the ruling dynasties of Europe? I don't want to just use character designer, I want to be able to click on the King of England, page through his family tree, and find the Prophet Muhammad.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 7, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DStecks posted:

Also, anybody got good character suggestions for a gimmick game with the goal of breeding the Sayyid trait into the ruling dynasties of Europe? I don't want to just use character designer, I want to be able to click on the King of England, page through his family tree, and find the Prophet Muhammad.

Pagan, Norse probably. This is what I did:

Raid Spanish holdings that have male kids with the Sayyid trait. When you capture one, immediately have him raised by a gregarious and diligent courtier so he has a chance to flip religion. Once religion has been flipped to something non-Muslim, you can matri-marry him into your dynasty. All his kids will be full Sayyid.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bold Robot posted:

I find that they usually support someone else if your candidate is a kid. They typically change their minds after a few years though so unless you're really old you should be fine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Brandfarlig posted:

I find that they usually support someone else if your candidate is a kid. They typically change their minds after a few years though so unless you're really old you should be fine.

This is true, so the secret to a good and stable succession is to have two or more adult sons with good traits, and immediately after your preferred son inheriting you should nominate your brother as your successor. Vassals like to vote for candidates they like and that have traits with +vassal opinion, so if you nominate your just, kind, grey eminence brother, they tend to follow suit. Your brother will also love you for being your chosen successor, and he can be the safe option until your own children are older/adults. And if you do get murdered die under mysterious circumstances, your heir will be a good adult ruler as well.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

DStecks posted:

What's up with that font? It doesn't look like the vanilla one.

It's from here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?649962

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

QuoProQuid posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried getting the Antichrist elected Pope? Anything interesting happen. Is his papal name Pope Peter II?

I haven't yet, but now I know what I'll be doing once I get back to my computer, although I might skip cardinal elections altogether and just declare him antipope and then press his claim on the Papacy.

Letifa
Jul 15, 2012

Apply tiger balm
What helps when doing an elective playthrough is getting all your conquered lands in the hands of family members. When most electors are of your bloodline, the show will go on even when your genius voice of jesus 7 virtues son is not chosen as your heir. My new playthrough consists of going at it as a norseman, full on gavelkind conquering all the things, give land to sons let my kingdom break up and see the world plunge into succession chaos and strife. It keeps the game fresh and prevents the 1100-1200 world domination boredom empire games have. And seeing half of europe declare war on some shithead because they declared war on one of your bloodline never gets old.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Keep in mind that Elective gives you a -5 relations penalty with all members of your dynasty, but +20 relations with all other vassals. Landing all your dynasty and enjoying the ensuing thunderdome can definitely be fun, but be aware of the tradeoff. With Elective I like to maintain 1-2 pet duchies or counties held by my dynasty, tutor their kids and keep an eye on good potential heirs in addition to my own children. Since most of my (elector) vassals have a +20 opinion bonus from Elective and I can pick the best heirs, the risk of losing my title is pretty slim and it would only be the top title anyway, I'd just get demoted and need to scheme my way back in.

If all your electors are dynasty members, you'll never get a game over but they're going to all be claimants, have -5 opinion to you from the Elective succession, and all be intermarried and allied with each other. It's a glorious mess and can make for a lot of entertainment and emergent family feud storytelling.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Goddamn I hate Byzantines. They always poo poo themselves when you need them the most, and no matter how badly I tried to throw a wrench in the Islam machine.

It's now me versus the super Arabic Empire and I can't have allies because Zoroastrianism. And now the Tengris are throwing bullshit 50000 men hosts at me.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Talky posted:

HiP is basically an amalgamation of a few different mods, including VIET and SWMH. The goal of HiP is basically to flesh out and tweak the game balance without changing too much. Part of it changes up crown laws, other bits make your characters' traits matter more by restricting some of the actions you can take based on them. Other bits of it also tweak some of the wonky behavior of the portraits, change up the look of the UI and map, and so on. One of the biggest pluses of HiP is that is comes with a handy installer that let's you easily pick and chose which mods are included. This is great because it lets you combine a bunch of good mods without having to tweak them for compatibility yourself, and also lets you skip the dumb poo poo.

VIET is mostly about adding more events, flavor, more plots and intrigue options, and traits. It's especially nice for fleshing out some of the cultures and religions, like non-Norse non-Zoroastrian pagans that don't have many events in vanilla.

I don't know what SWMH stands for, but I know what it does. It changes up the map itself by altering and adding provinces (as opposed to other mods that just change up the map graphics). This could be cool, but whoever makes SWMH seems to love adding a billion tiny pointless provinces and holdings. Tiny obscure islands too small to even click on become full fledged counties. Duchies are given nonsensical and noncontiguous dejure borders

I personally don't like SWMH because a: This is dumb and b: all these extra totally pointless counties can make the game run slower. I do really like the rest of HiP though, and as everyone else said not installing SWMH is super easy.

What no-one seems to have mentioned about HIP is that it also includes Project Balance, a big CK2+esque overhaul. It's not for everyone, and very much targeted for those who like to roleplay their characters, but what it does it does well. Features include limiting wars based on traits (e.g. kind, honest charaters can't backstab allies) and my personally favorite submod: the duel engine, same as the GOT mod. That separates a character's ability to command troops and their skill at swinging a sword, and lets you risk your leader's life for the opportunity to turn the tide of battle by carving up the enemy commander in personal combat! :black101: Makes warrior kings lots of fun.

Another mod that is on my personal must-have list is Additional Objectives, compatible with HIP. Like VIET, it's nothing but bonus content, and some pretty high-quality stuff.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Oh what the gently caress, not only do hosts get to keep their doomstacks but they get reinforced after they win? :psyduck:

Nice 60000 man timebomb right in the middle of my kingdom now, can't wait till they make alliances with the other Tengris too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've noticed that sometimes I can't alt-tab away from the CK2 window despite being in fullscreen windowed mode. What gives?

• Locked thread