Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hadoop more like ha, duped

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

infernal machines posted:

afik the exchange server integration is only available with the Ex plans, not the Px small business plans. you can't mix the plans within a domain and the per license cost of the Px plans is lower so it tends to be what businesses with les than 25 licenses are using.

right, you need enterprise to federate with ad to be able to extend your onsite exchange to *~the cloud~*, but you definitely can migrate from onsite exchange into any office 365 plan using native exchange poo poo (e.g. the way outlook connects to exchange, whatever the one that isnt activesync is). just make an account with full access to all the mailboxes on your on-prem exchange, and feed those details into the migration wizard and it goes off and does the rest.

while were on the subject of gently caress google, its easier to migrate away from google apps completely than it is to migrate between google apps accounts (e.g. a company merger between two google apps users). pretty much cant be done without losing a shitload of time and probably messages.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Caged posted:

right, you need enterprise to federate with ad to be able to extend your onsite exchange to *~the cloud~*, but you definitely can migrate from onsite exchange into any office 365 plan using native exchange poo poo (e.g. the way outlook connects to exchange, whatever the one that isnt activesync is). just make an account with full access to all the mailboxes on your on-prem exchange, and feed those details into the migration wizard and it goes off and does the rest.

nice. last i looked the ms technet article and the support group said the MAPI migration tool wasn't supported with the SMB plans.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
did u try going in to powershell and typing "export-" and pressing tab a lot?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Pinterest Mom posted:

but that's as far back as it'll fold

that's what you think

*breaks computer over knee*

TAKE THAT GOOGLE

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i dunno if its a recent feature or what but i just migrated 120 users onto a midsize business plan and it just worked.

it would be nice if there was a javascript powershell client or something in the portal instead of having to install a windows vm and loads of poo poo to get it to connect, but ill take it over having to explain to someone that no, i cant grant you access to one of your employees mailboxes while they are ill without doing a password reset and logging in as them because we bought shithouse google apps.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

or that they have to pick between push email on their iphone or being able to flag messages. google apps looks very much like a project thats been abandoned because something a bit shinier came along and all the staff got bored.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

AtomD posted:

did u try going in to powershell and typing "export-" and pressing tab a lot?

i did not, i rtfm'd. that was my mistake.

e. i just looked, there is a difference between the small business and "midsize" business plans

Caged posted:

or that they have to pick between push email on their iphone or being able to flag messages. google apps looks very much like a project thats been abandoned because something a bit shinier came along and all the staff got bored.

google_products.odf

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 6, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yup. there is no exchange admin interface in the small business plans.

the instructions here don't work because this "Click Admin, and then click Exchange" doesn't exist in the P1 and P2 plans.

gooo microsoft. and yet it's still better than google apps for business by a country mile

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

hadoop more like ha, duped

etc

i made this joke like a loving month ago and the only person who commented on it was tori

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yup. there is no exchange admin interface in the small business plans.

the instructions here don't work because this "Click Admin, and then click Exchange" doesn't exist in the P1 and P2 plans.

gooo microsoft. and yet it's still better than google apps for business by a country mile

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/exchange/4077.aspx

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

backup storage cost several times more per gb than standard storage, because reasons.

if I had to guess, backup storage is reliable, standard storage isn't.

I think google has pricing plans for that kind of thing too, but they give you reliable by default and offer cheaper unreliable storage if you want to live dangerously

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
check out how much server-class solid state drives cost sometime

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

uncurable mlady posted:

ed - and maybe someone from apple to figure out how to not have 12 loving skus for each version of their products

lol

hello id like to ontroduce you to lc, performa, centris, quadra,

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

check out how much server-class solid state drives cost sometime

our equallogics are fuckin awwwweeeesssooooommmmmeeeeeeeee

the new ones you can get full ssd at 40gige which give you 1000000+ iops lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

lol

hello id like to ontroduce you to lc, performa, centris, quadra,

i was gonna say

MacBook Air
MacBook Air (Late 2008)
MacBook Air (Mid 2009)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

article comments posted:

This does not work for Partners who have delegated Admin access for their clients. The old interface was easier, why is it hidden even from the Admin. Is there another hidden avenue for this for Partners who resell and support several clients?

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah its not perfect but id rather drink the microsoft urine than choke down the google diarrhoea

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Sagebrush posted:

i was gonna say

MacBook Air
MacBook Air (Late 2008)
MacBook Air (Mid 2009)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

a good thing you didn't because that's a really loving stupid comparison

for three years there was one air. then for three years there were two. that's not the same as 16 different windows 8 SKUs

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
only spergs care about windows skus because a normal just sees a home one and a business/professional one

gregday
May 23, 2003

Install Windows posted:

only poors care about windows skus because lol microsoft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

horse mans posted:

a good thing you didn't because that's a really loving stupid comparison

for three years there was one air. then for three years there were two. that's not the same as 16 different windows 8 SKUs

no, stupid, the point is that when grandma says "my macbook air broke" you have to figure out which of nine possible macbooks air it actually is and grandma has literally no way of knowing which one it is

apple should just embrace what the apple spergs already do and start a year/model thing. the 2015 macbook air, available in regular size or with extended wheelbase.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if the only service option if it breaks is "take it to the apple store" what does it matter what year it came out?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
im just glad apple stopped groupign multiple meaningfulyl different actual models under the same m-number

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

apple should just embrace what the apple spergs already do and start a year/model thing. the 2015 macbook air, available in regular size or with extended wheelbase.

they do exactly this in "about this mac"

"11 inch macbook air, early 2014 model"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

google am ir ight

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
too bad macs dont sell so it doesnt matter in the first place

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Sagebrush posted:

grandma has literally no way of knowing which one it is

wrong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they do exactly this in "about this mac"

"11 inch macbook air, early 2014 model"

i didn't know this and am impressed that apple has done it. good work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
stop trying to fob off your overpriced computers on grandma when noone buys it, namaste

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Install Windows posted:

stop trying to fob off your overpriced computers on grandma when noone buys it, namaste

same but your posts

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

lol if your grandparents aren't either too old and rich to bother with computers or smart and coherent enough to figure out how to fix their own

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

thats quite a specific lol if

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

yes, it owns having a technical enough family to not have to cj poo poo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

only spergs care about windows skus because a normal just sees a home one and a business/professional one

lol, no.

some places may have limited how many skus were sold, but during the vista era and into 7 the official ms merchandising strategy was loving bonkers

there was literally an AIDS edition of vista

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

lol, no.

some places may have limited how many skus were sold, but during the vista era and into 7 the official ms merchandising strategy was loving bonkers

there was literally an AIDS edition of vista

and 99% of the sold copies to consumers were home, business, or ultimate, coincidentally also 99% of what showed up on store shelves

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol like anyone buys a winders, it comes preinstalled on your crappy bargain bin laptop that breaks in 2 years

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cygni posted:

lol like anyone buys a winders, it comes preinstalled on your crappy bargain bin laptop that breaks in 2 years

tbf microsoft didn't exactly encourage people buying them with copies costing like $200

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

tbf microsoft didn't exactly encourage people buying them with copies costing like $200

if you buy the high end version, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i bought winders 7 Home at Best Buy

• Locked thread