Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's actually base fatigue / (mage path level - required path level + 1)

So 100% for meeting the requirement, 50% for +1, 33% +2 etc

also in a communion, the fatigue taken by the slaves are modified by their path relative to the master

slave level = master level: no modification
slave level > master level: fatigue / 2
slave level < master level / 2: fatigue * 4
slave level < master level: fatigue * 2

so if the master keep casting spells from paths the slaves don't have, they'll fatigue much faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

jBrereton posted:

It's a Raid icon, I think.

I'm not sure what a raid is, do you mean like a random event taking over a province? Cause those don't look like that person's normal troops.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 6, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
No "raid" is a special attack type that commanders with a pillage bonus get. You attack, have a battle, deal damage to pop & income if you win, then retreat, in the same turn.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

No "raid" is a special attack type that commanders with a pillage bonus get. You attack, have a battle, deal damage to pop & income if you win, then retreat, in the same turn.

Are you sure? I've only seen commanders with both pillage and stealth possess the 'raid' command and they've never engaged in battle when I've done it; just pillaged the area.

The flaming torch icon is indeed indicative of a Pillage on that province though whether it was a Raid or a Pillage isnt known.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Maybe they only battle if they are detected by the patrollers? I've only used it once, and lost dozens of Sauro cavalry in the exchange.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

Maybe they only battle if they are detected by the patrollers? I've only used it once, and lost dozens of Sauro cavalry in the exchange.

That would make sense, I think the way the Raid command works is the dudes move to the target province, pillage it and move back in 1 turn. If the raiders aren't stealthy they engage PD\armies in the process, if they are then they sneak in and may be caught by patrolling forces.

Much of that is assumption though so I could be way off.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Since we have a bunch of new people wanting in on multiplayer and some old dogs that never learn new tricks, I'd like to offer a piece of advice that until recently I didn't think would ever come up as an issue:

Do not sell or trade your gems to an underwater nation. Ever. Never loving do it. You might be laughing to yourself 'ho ho ho, those dumb and irrelevant squidpeople, they will never be able to do anything. thanks for the gold!', but the whole world is going to pay the price of your lack of vision.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

Since we have a bunch of new people wanting in on multiplayer and some old dogs that never learn new tricks, I'd like to offer a piece of advice that until recently I didn't think would ever come up as an issue:

Do not sell or trade your gems to an underwater nation. Ever. Never loving do it. You might be laughing to yourself 'ho ho ho, those dumb and irrelevant squidpeople, they will never be able to do anything. thanks for the gold!', but the whole world is going to pay the price of your lack of vision.
Basically unless it's mostly amphibious (and I really only mean MA Rlyeh and Oceania in terms of being Good And Fun) I'd recommend that you just do not play an underwater nation if you want to win/actually do anything after you kill all the indies in the ocean, since land nations can totally shut you down if they make a concerted effort to ruin your game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Underwater nations very rarely win or are even serious contenders (vs "a fatal annoyance to the one land nation they manage to invade at the most opportune time"); I think trading with them from a position of strength is perfectly kosher.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hey everyone I should note that my IRC bots are going to be down as I am currently in the process of moving.

ChickenWing posted:

Alright cool. I'm asking because I played a godawful EA TC game with a buddy last night vs a bunch of AI and got hilariously roflstomped and I'm reasonably certain it was because I didn't use mages worth a drat (as that seems to be TC's *thing*). I'd like to figure my rear end from my elbow before the upcoming newbie game starts so that I'm not immediately merked by my fellow scrubs.

Also holy god I'm bad at remembering things. I'm pretty sure I forgot recruitment one out of three turns, and I was so concerned with sending expansion parties out that I didn't remember to start building forts. Also, having AI Tir na n'Og, Abysia and Ermor gang up on me sucked a whole bunch :v:

E: I forgot a fatigue question. Do your paths have an effect on how much fatigue a spell takes? E.G. If a W9 mage casts a W4 spell, do those extra 5 Ws reduce the fatigue at all?

A smaller game as EA TC, or a blitz game, you can do a lot by leaning on your Warriors of the Five Elements. W9 bless, or F9W4 or similar combos, will rip through pretty much anything other than archers. EA TC also have both Slow-To-Rec and not Slow-To-Rec cap mages, so you can get a pretty good research headstart by using the non-STR ones to double your cap research for the first 18 turns or so, keeping in mind that doing so too early will stunt your gold production

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

MrBims posted:

This also generally applies to making deals with freespawn nations and especially Ermor. You might wish that you hadn't started next to them, but you did, and now you should deal with it by throwing everything you've got at them and appealing to your neighbors for help/understanding. Then again, everyone always ignores this advice and if it's not MA Ermor things usually work out fine.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Smerdyakov posted:

This also generally applies to making deals with freespawn nations and especially Ermor. You might wish that you hadn't started next to them, but you did, and now you should deal with it by throwing everything you've got at them and appealing to your neighbors for help/understanding. Then again, everyone always ignores this advice and if it's not MA Ermor things usually work out fine.

That's because if you actually follow that advice you just lose because the guy who didn't start near Ermor stabs your unprotected buttocks, you also fail to kill Ermor who weathers the first storm and eventually dies to the guy who killed you, or survives the whole thing and reemerges at turn 60.

In theory the best thing to do vs domkill nations is for everyone to gather together, the people on the frontline kill the domkill nation while the people on the back line give gold and gems to the people on the front line and then after the domkill nation is dead its a free for all, but in practice at least one of the players realises they can get a lot more stuff if they don't do that and instead let all the other players waste their resources trying to kill Ermor.

So blame players for being opportunistic untrustworthy bastards.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Never not permawar with undead nations like Ermor or Sceleria. :colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Smerdyakov posted:

This also generally applies to making deals with freespawn nations and especially Ermor. You might wish that you hadn't started next to them, but you did, and now you're boned RIP

has anyone ever won a normal game where they started next to a competent Ashen Empire player

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Flavahbeast posted:

has anyone ever won a normal game where they started next to a competent Ashen Empire player

I have, but it was mainly because there was an equally-competent Dreamlands player neighboring them on the other side.

Domkill nations suck.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Asphodel seems one of the tamer ones in this regard due to their own need for gold and reliance of forest terrain for freespawn worth a drat. That and their want to go for growth scale for the freespawn mildly negates the supply issues you have against ermor etc at least until the places are completely depopulated, though by that time you can easily have lots of units that dont eat like Flavahbeast did with me.

That being said i have no idea how much Asphodel needs/wants growth scales and the map we played on was just all kinds of weird.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Out of any of the crazy domeffect nations I'd much rather go against Asphodel than the others. At least Manikins are easy to counter.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Asphodel is very much a domkill-lite nation; the fact that they are effectively forced to take growth and magic if they want any decent freespawn is less than great and their freespawn isn't very good barring the elephants and archers but they are really interesting at least.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Look, it was absolutely critical to get those last 3 blade winds in on those 7 fleeing militia. Do you know how close he was to getting on the hall of fame?

And then he get Unequalled Obesity for his troubles.

He did the hard work, he killed loads of people. Now he's famous, all the mages in the empire envies him. He can be lazy now, personal servants will constantly shovel cupcakes down his mouth between spellcasting.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Illwinter posted:

2014-05-05 14:16:42 +0200
Version 4.06
:)

Edirr posted:

Unfortunately 4.06 is, at this stage at least, a beta patch. The release will either be 4.06b or 4.07, I think. There are too many unfinished things about Ragha.
:(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Neruz posted:

So blame players for being opportunistic untrustworthy bastards.

Ermor picker blaming other people. Neruz tell us how you would bring peace to the Middle East. :allears:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That was my exact reaction! This morning I read the log, I thought "is it already done?!" and checked on Steam. Nothing, so I went to Desura and say the clarification. :( :(

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Being next to Ermor is difficult. You really want to war with them ASAP and ideally not alone, but that may be the case. In a big game (8+ players), I think communication is key.

You want to make sure Ermor's neighbors know they'll have the opportunity to attack them. Obviously they want Ermor gone too, but (like you) they probably don't want to invest everything to do it. If they see you move first (or you convince them that Ermor moved on you), they'll be more likely to act.

Don't play the sympathy card with your direct neighbors. All they'll hear is "I'm weak, I'm busy, take my poo poo." Play the sympathy card with your neighbor's neighbors. You want them to attack your neighbor if they move on you. It's to their benefit, so it might work.

Your magnetic weakness becomes the value you offer to others further from you in this case.

I think you'll have more success if you present people with opportunities rather than obligations, risks and expenses.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Back to "Communal Teaching with ChickenWing"

How do stats and dice rolls work? I get the mechanical concept that it's a certain number of d6 that rolls +1 d6 for every 6 that gets rolled (i.e. exploding dice roll), but I'm not certain a) what determines the number of dice rolled and b) what that end result gets checked against. Like, if I'm attacking someone's defense 10 man with my attack 10 man, how does the game calculate how stuff works? I recall reading something about it in the manual, but I also recall skimming at that point and not paying full attention to the concept.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Ermor picker blaming other people. Neruz tell us how you would bring peace to the Middle East. :allears:

Always consider the source--a habitual Ermor player telling new players that attacking Ermor with everything you've got as soon as you see them is a losing strategy should raise some red flags. I've never had a problem with my neighbors stabbing my while I was attacking Ermor. That's probably because I write my neighbors a nice note explaining that if they attack me, I'll not only stop attacking Ermor and turn on them, I'll form an unholy alliance with Ermor and make sure they take all my provinces, gold and gems, like some kind of spiteful giving tree. If you're making a good faith effort to stop the Ermor menace (and especially if BoT is up), your neighbors will either leave you alone or chip in a little bit.

I think we're past the phase of metagame diplomacy where Ermor can win in larger games, but they sure can thoroughly and arbitrarily ruin it for all the nations whose mages can't handle old age.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ChickenWing posted:

Back to "Communal Teaching with ChickenWing"

How do stats and dice rolls work? I get the mechanical concept that it's a certain number of d6 that rolls +1 d6 for every 6 that gets rolled (i.e. exploding dice roll), but I'm not certain a) what determines the number of dice rolled and b) what that end result gets checked against. Like, if I'm attacking someone's defense 10 man with my attack 10 man, how does the game calculate how stuff works? I recall reading something about it in the manual, but I also recall skimming at that point and not paying full attention to the concept.

It is laid out right at the beginning - Dominions Random Number (DRN). Almost all of the rolls you'll do are going to be 2d6 exploding, and your stat+roll has to beat the opponent's stat+roll. 10 Attack against 10 Defense is just under 50% hit rate since you have to beat the defense roll. Spells that are negated by magic resistance is generally 10+DRN against the opponent's MR+DRN, but you can increase your number through penetration bonuses from items and greater primary magic skill than is needed to cast the spell (extra skill divided by half). Damage is your Strength plus weapon damage plus DRN subtracted by enemy protection modified by armor penetration (20% from pierce-type weapons, 50% from armor piercing weapons, 100% from armor negating) and then subtracted by a DRN afterwards.

Dispelling global enchantments uses a single d6 exploding rather than 2.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 6, 2014

Absum
May 28, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

Always consider the source--a habitual Ermor player telling new players that attacking Ermor with everything you've got as soon as you see them is a losing strategy should raise some red flags. I've never had a problem with my neighbors stabbing my while I was attacking Ermor. That's probably because I write my neighbors a nice note explaining that if they attack me, I'll not only stop attacking Ermor and turn on them, I'll form an unholy alliance with Ermor and make sure they take all my provinces, gold and gems, like some kind of spiteful giving tree. If you're making a good faith effort to stop the Ermor menace (and especially if BoT is up), your neighbors will either leave you alone or chip in a little bit.

I think we're past the phase of metagame diplomacy where Ermor can win in larger games, but they sure can thoroughly and arbitrarily ruin it for all the nations whose mages can't handle old age.

I'm pretty sure you stabbed some guy fighting Ermor in the back though so I dunno man.

e: Personally I don't care either way, I only dislike BoT because of all the afflictions and old age.

People making alliances against Ermor or not or stabbing people in the back is all just regular diplo as far as I'm concerned.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

MrBims posted:

It is laid out right at the beginning - Dominions Random Number (DRN). Almost all of the rolls you'll do are going to be 2d6 exploding, and your stat+roll has to beat the opponent's stat+roll. 10 Attack against 10 Defense is just under 50% hit rate since you have to beat the defense roll. Spells that are negated by magic resistance is generally 10+DRN against the opponent's MR+DRN, but you can increase your number through penetration bonuses from items and greater primary magic skill than is needed to cast the spell (extra skill divided by half). Damage is your Strength plus weapon damage plus DRN subtracted by enemy protection modified by armor penetration (20% from pierce-type weapons, 50% from armor piercing weapons, 100% from armor negating) and then subtracted by a DRN afterwards.

Dispelling global enchantments uses a single d6 exploding rather than 2.

Ah right I remember seeing that big chart with relative percentages now. Perfect, thanks.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Absum posted:

I'm pretty sure you stabbed some guy fighting Ermor in the back though so I dunno man.

e: Personally I don't care either way, I only dislike BoT because of all the afflictions and old age.

People making alliances against Ermor or not or stabbing people in the back is all just regular diplo as far as I'm concerned.

I did cause I was a newbie, and as a consequence I lost horribly and the game was abandoned maybe 15 turns later. So yeah, I learned why you shouldn't do that. I also can't think of a single case where someone who made a NAP with Ermor won. From my experience, the most common result for games with Ermor in them is "abandoned." Moving BoT up to Thaum 8 might help, but the problem is the irreversible domkill. I think most of us would object to playing on a map where a few players started next to 8-10 wasteland provinces with zero population and income, but that's basically Ermor, which is why they've been consigned to a role in gimmick games only.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
The problem with BoT is it's world-wide rather than only within the caster's dominion. You have to spend so much to mitigate even a small portion of its effect.

It has made me consider more gem-centric strategies though rather than focusing as much on raw income.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The problem with BoT is it's world-wide rather than only within the caster's dominion. You have to spend so much to mitigate even a small portion of its effect.

It has made me consider more gem-centric strategies though rather than focusing as much on raw income.

Exactly, how many turns accelerate BoT the aging of, for example, your average national mage? A normal one, not one that starts old already as some nations have.
How many turns need until they start receiving afflictions?

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Smerdyakov posted:

I think most of us would object to playing on a map where a few players started next to 8-10 wasteland provinces with zero population and income, but that's basically Ermor, which is why they've been consigned to a role in gimmick games only.

Starting next to 8-10 wasteland provinces would be much better, since they have a higher chance of magic sites than the normal provinces Ermor has turned to poo poo.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

MrBims posted:

20% from pierce-type weapons, 50% from armor piercing weapons

I've always wondered, do these modifiers stack (e.g, on the Stinger)?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Dunno - easy way to test it would be to change Longspears to be AP natively, then run up LA Man against LA Marignon or something like that. A faction with highish protection but no shields, in any case. You can probably get very reasonable test results that way.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turin Turambar posted:

Exactly, how many turns accelerate BoT the aging of, for example, your average national mage? A normal one, not one that starts old already as some nations have.
How many turns need until they start receiving afflictions?

It increases age by 5 a turn. Most mid-tier human mages start off in their 30s or 40s, so they will be old in 3-4 turns. High-tier human mages nearly always tend to be old, so that will make their existing condition worse. Abysians get it even worse since they're nearly all old, and start getting old at 35. The giant, elf nations (both viking and irish), Pangaea, Atlantis, and R'lyeh don't really care about Burden though.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

amuayse posted:

It increases age by 5 a turn. Most mid-tier human mages start off in their 30s or 40s, so they will be old in 3-4 turns. High-tier human mages nearly always tend to be old, so that will make their existing condition worse. Abysians get it even worse since they're nearly all old, and start getting old at 35. The giant, elf nations (both viking and irish), Pangaea, Atlantis, and R'lyeh don't really care about Burden though.

I've been trying to figure out when demons get old (I've been playing a lot of lanka). I've been sitting with BoT on for 15 turns and haven't seen any of them get old yet.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
noobs 'r' us It doesn't take THAT long to upload a pretender, get it together noobs!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Maybe, instead of increasing the gems needed for the ritual or increasing the level needed for it (Thaum5), they should nerf the effect a bit. A turn is a season, so BoT is increasing the aging by a factor of 20, maybe it should be a factor of 8.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

A dead landscape is extremely peaceful; you don't see any wars on the moon do you?

Gaghskull posted:

I've been trying to figure out when demons get old (I've been playing a lot of lanka). I've been sitting with BoT on for 15 turns and haven't seen any of them get old yet.

Demons live to be 3000 I think, click on fatigue when you have one's info screen brought up and it will tell you how old it currently is and in brackets tell you how old it has to be before it is considered 'old'.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Gaghskull posted:

You can see age and the start of old age by clicking Fatigue on the stat screen.

• Locked thread