Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trick Question posted:

So, is there any trick to dodging the (late-game optional boss) Ancient Dragon's massive AOE attack? Even running directly away just seems to get me killed half the time. On the plus side, the run there is pretty easy (since I've genocided everything between the boss door and the bonfire.)

Burn a bonfire ascetic at the bonfire in Shaded Woods in the tower, where the path splits three ways. After that go into the foggy area and hug the right wall. Eventually you'll come to a corpse holding Gower's Ring of Protection, which protects you from all damage you take from behind. As long as you're facing away when he does the AoE fire move, you won't take any damage. It breaks after five hits though, so wear the bracing knuckle ring and bring some repair powder just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys a message is in front this wall and I can't open it also my soul level is only 40 and I'm fighting really tough people what gives also how do I get the items on the lava in Iron Keep also has anyone else not gotten many invasions yet also a bloo bloo Shrine of Amana requires me to do literally anything to adapt to it but I keep dying because I am too lazy/stupid to change my style this is a crime against video games.

If you were about to say any of things stop, and then kill yourself for good measure.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

What is the easiest setup for parrying, between small shields (or bucklers if they're special), a parrying dagger or a curved sword?
I have a naughty idea that involves a demon great hammer.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys a message is in front this wall and I can't open it also my soul level is only 40 and I'm fighting really tough people what gives also how do I get the items on the lava in Iron Keep also has anyone else not gotten many invasions yet also a bloo bloo Shrine of Amana requires me to do literally anything to adapt to it but I keep dying because I am too lazy/stupid to change my style this is a crime against video games.

If you were about to say any of things stop, and then kill yourself for good measure.

YEAH YEAH YOU TELL EM YEAH YEAH! GET HYPE!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chomp8645 posted:

Sounds like you need to stop and then kill yourself for good measure with that grammar.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Crack open a window let your room breathe

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have the Red Rust Scimitar but I can't figure out how parry windows work. What's the delay on the parry? :(

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Why are people so obsessed with PvP in this game? The lag makes it completely unpredictable, and 95% of the time when you invade someone you get either someone who doesn't want to fight you or someone who has 3 friends who all gang up on you? Maybe I'm a filthy scrublord, but I really just don't see the appeal.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Will a monastery scimitar parry an Avelyn? This must be known.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

I love all the little details on the explorers armor.

It's been a lot of fun so far relying on poison for most of my damage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Artificer posted:

I have the Red Rust Scimitar but I can't figure out how parry windows work. What's the delay on the parry? :(

Parry windows can vary between weapons. Just practice on mobs until you get the hang of it. The chumps in the opening forest area work well for that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Daynab posted:

What is the easiest setup for parrying, between small shields (or bucklers if they're special), a parrying dagger or a curved sword?
I have a naughty idea that involves a demon great hammer.

The monastery scimitar is the best parrying weapon in the game by a mile, because its parry starts immediately when you hit the button. Granted it's something of a bitch to get.

Chomp8645 posted:

:raise: I too enjoy jumping head first into arguments that aren't happening. Oh wait.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Winged Orpheus posted:

Why are people so obsessed with PvP in this game? The lag makes it completely unpredictable, and 95% of the time when you invade someone you get either someone who doesn't want to fight you or someone who has 3 friends who all gang up on you? Maybe I'm a filthy scrublord, but I really just don't see the appeal.

It's very tactical. Catching people in their own mistakes or setting up traps is something you can actually do. It's also a game of knowledge where you learn how each spell and weapon can work so you know how to counter-act it. Outplaying your opponent makes you feel really smart.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's very tactical. Catching people in their own mistakes or setting up traps is something you can actually do. It's also a game of knowledge where you learn how each spell and weapon can work so you know how to counter-act it. Outplaying your opponent makes you feel really smart.

Ooooooor you just load up on hexes or Avelyns and One-Shot your opponent.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Winged Orpheus posted:

Because many of us don't have much in the way of lag issues at all and at launch most people aren't doing 100% GERMAN EFFICIENCY BUILDS so PvP is a lot of fun right now. People are just dicking around and having fun and it's great :shobon:

Captain Oblivious posted:

So which Bonfire do I ascetic in order to beat up Executioner's Chariot again? I'd assume Purgatory itself.

Anybody?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But that's the thing, most of the time it's not like that at all. You invade someone who doesn't give a flying gently caress about PvP and it's a free kill or it's just a trap. I get that some of the time you get a good fight and get a rush from it, but if that's what you're after why not play one of the hundreds of fighting games where you can learn to outplay your opponent in the exact same way?

Edit: I don't know, it just gets very frustrating personally when I'm just trying to play the game and then I get invaded by some naked dude who one-shots me with a super-buffed weapon. It's not a challenge for them at all, what's the point?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I would expect it to the bridge approach, not purgatory itself.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Sydin posted:

The monastery scimitar is the best parrying weapon in the game by a mile, because its parry starts immediately when you hit the button. Granted it's something of a bitch to get.

Yeah I want it to be NG unfortunately. I'm just wondering what the order of parry frames is between shields, parrying dagger and curved sword. Anyone know if it's been figured out anywhere?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Choosing to do so counts as a tactic :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Winged Orpheus posted:

But that's the thing, most of the time it's not like that at all. You invade someone who doesn't give a flying gently caress about PvP and it's a free kill or it's just a trap. I get that some of the time you get a good fight and get a rush from it, but if that's what you're after why not play one of the hundreds of fighting games where you can learn to outplay your opponent in the exact same way?

Because what you're describing is more DS1 PvP than DS2 PvP. If you're in the Belfry, you're either looking for PvP, prepared for PvP, or an idiot. Cracked Red Eye Orbs are suuuper limited in this game so most PvP is duelling or Belfry PvP Thunderdome. Both of which are a blast because it's mostly people who are looking for it!

Broken Cog posted:

Rebel's Greatshield for the first, dodge forward at an angle for the second. Avelyn leaves you wiiiide open by eating all your goddamn stamina and having a longass reload animation. Hexers are trivial to neuter.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Because many of us don't have much in the way of lag issues at all and at launch most people aren't doing 100% GERMAN EFFICIENCY BUILDS so PvP is a lot of fun right now. People are just dicking around and having fun and it's great :shobon:

Anybody?

To reset the gargoyles, I had to ascetic the bonfire you reach after killing them, as it was the only one in Bellfry Luna, I assume it's the same for the Chariot.

Rebel's Greatshield for the first, dodge forward at an angle for the second. Avelyn leaves you wiiiide open by eating all your goddamn stamina and having a longass reload animation. Hexers are trivial to neuter.

Lag makes dodging the Avelyn difficult(Yes, there is a lot of lag for a lot of people) even if you know they're coming.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 6, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Winged Orpheus posted:

Cause you can get used to it and it's pretty fun? You can get good with enough practice: see this guy. (I like linking his videos since he's pretty much the only frequent PVP uploader that's not a huge sperglord)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9M0IhdzmDc

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Winged Orpheus posted:

You have to do it for a few spells. I don't like it much either but you can't avoid it if you want all the magic.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh my god dickwraithing is so fun while being a bellcop. Seriously, I'm not lacking at all for PvP, and the soul gain is minimal enough to let me basically spam GRS and make a liiiiitle profit, so my SM is staying nice and tidy at 1.2 million. So much fun, and I haven't died in the past ~10 matches. Hexes are so OP.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Rebel Greatshield for hexes, rolling attacks for Avelyns.

Hell, Rebel Greatshield for Avelyns if they're using lightning bolts (they totally are)

Rebel Greatshield for everything that isn't an actual, physical weapon, basically. That poo poo is so good. I love blocking sunlight spears for like 50-100 damage and then reaming them with a longsword.

edit: For laggy Avelyn users, roll their shots later. Though that's actually the timing you should be using to roll all Avelyn shots (as late as possible) so it's somewhat okay- though still irritating to catch them because of the lag, haha.

A big part of PVP is understanding the opponent's stamina situation. Since Avelyns use a ton of stamina, you can pressure them really hard by going ham and guard break them into a forward+r1 actual guardbreak into death, or stunlock them to death if you catch them with an actual hit assuming they're dual wielding Avelyns.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 7, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Winged Orpheus posted:

Edit: I don't know, it just gets very frustrating personally when I'm just trying to play the game and then I get invaded by some naked dude who one-shots me with a super-buffed weapon. It's not a challenge for them at all, what's the point?

Honestly I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people dealing with plain old dark spirit invasions because since launch was so recent, there are a million and one goddamn summon signs. Use them. Drown them in disposable summons. You can heal and they probably can't. It ain't hard.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You have to do it for a few spells. I don't like it much either but you can't avoid it if you want all the magic.

It's just the one spell, isn't it? I thought the only spell you had to PvP for was the utter rubbish Hidden Weapon, from 30 bellbro wins.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh my god dickwraithing is so fun while being a bellcop. Seriously, I'm not lacking at all for PvP, and the soul gain is minimal enough to let me basically spam GRS and make a liiiiitle profit, so my SM is staying nice and tidy at 1.2 million. So much fun, and I haven't died in the past ~10 matches. Hexes are so OP.

What, do resonant spells subtract the souls from your soul memory? That doesn't sound right.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chomp8645 posted:

What, do resonant spells subtract the souls from your soul memory? That doesn't sound right.

I wish (I don't, that'd be absolutely ridiculous). No, not from your Soul Memory but given the relatively meager gains of PvP you're still not skyrocketing in SM, unlike sunbroing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Chomp8645 posted:

I would expect it to the bridge approach, not purgatory itself.

Bridge Approach is part of Huntsman's Copse, while Undead Purgatory is its own little separate area. You ascetic the only bonfire in Undead Purgatory to respawn its boss.

This page has a handy list of which bonfires respawn bosses since sometimes it's not always very clear which one it is.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

The Iron Rose posted:

I wish (I don't, that'd be absolutely ridiculous). No, not from your Soul Memory but given the relatively meager gains of PvP you're still not skyrocketing in SM, unlike sunbroing.

Unless you get unlucky like me and kill hackers that fork over between 100,000-200,000 souls when killed :(

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Oh my god. I just had a Bell Battle where all three of us were using ceastuses. One guy was naked with what looked like a cowboy hat and he was named "Speedwag." :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of a dick move to put guys you can't roll past and red super phantoms into a narrow ledge with no retreat and no way to move forward past the guy who does 25% of your health a shot with his bow in the ascetic'd undead lockaway. An even bigger one to have every single enemy projectile have infinite range in it, regardless of location.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Oh my god. I just had a Bell Battle where all three of us were using ceastuses. One guy was naked with what looked like a cowboy hat and he was named "Speedwag." :allears:

I had that yesterday. 2v2 all punchmans in Luna, it was poetry in motion.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is Sunlight Spear worth getting up to 52 faith? Should I spice it down is there another miracle worth doing that to?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This Sentinel room in Drangleic Castle is loving obscene.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is Sunlight Spear worth getting up to 52 faith? Should I spice it down is there another miracle worth doing that to?

It is absolutely worth spicing down, it does bananas damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

This Sentinel room in Drangleic Castle is loving obscene.

It's highly recommended you open the doors one at a time and then never return unless strictly necessary.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Now what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Try killing the game and reopening it, I had that happen once and it fixed itself.

Also try going into the savegame folder and the game should keep a backup .zip of the saves, try moving the save folder somewhere else and unzip the .zip file, should be an old backup.

Tried restarting steam over and over, no dice. Character just loving crashes the game. 60 hours lost. Un loving believable.

What do you mean unzip the zip file? The file type is .sl2 and none of my archive programs will open it. I really want to fix this or I'm just not gonna play this loving game again.