Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

seacat posted:

"Functional resume" = "Hiding something". No, not fair. But yes, 99% of hiring managers will see it that way. Do not take advice from that person again.
I'm going to side with seacat, on this one. Even a well-written functional resume will leave unexplained gaps between jobs. In your case, there's a big gap between 2010 and 2012. That's a red flag to many recruiters. The only situation where I'd use a functional resume is if I could include some sort of graphic/timeline that details all of my work history, just so it pre-emptively answers any questions about work gaps. And even then, the resumes with timelines are treading a bit too deep into unconventional resume territory, which is a whole new conversation on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

the posted:

A lot of times places want to know if you have any job offers on the table because if you're a highly desirable candidate in their eyes they'll move quick on you.

I'd say it depends on the relationship you have with the people you've been interviewing with. Could you talk frankly with them and say, "Hey, guys. I just want to let you know that I have been interviewing at many places and there have been some offers being discussed. I want you to know that you're my first choice, but if I don't hear back from you in the next [time frame] I'll have to accept an offer at another business."

Thanks! I think I'll be okay with just flat out saying something along the lines of "I got another offer but I wanted to check with you before I accept." At least they seemed very interested in my other dealings.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

melon cat posted:

I'm going to side with seacat, on this one. Even a well-written functional resume will leave unexplained gaps between jobs. In your case, there's a big gap between 2010 and 2012. That's a red flag to many recruiters. The only situation where I'd use a functional resume is if I could include some sort of graphic/timeline that details all of my work history, just so it pre-emptively answers any questions about work gaps. And even then, the resumes with timelines are treading a bit too deep into unconventional resume territory, which is a whole new conversation on its own.

Well what's the best way to handle this then?

My gap in that time was basically me finishing my B.S.

If I just use a straight chronological resume format, the gap is still there. So wouldn't it be somewhat less effective too?
Because without trying to have the skills section in there, aren't they going to be like " well how did this guy being a paramedic, make him qualified to be X (anything other than a medic)"

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

UrielX posted:

Well what's the best way to handle this then?

My gap in that time was basically me finishing my B.S.

If I just use a straight chronological resume format, the gap is still there. So wouldn't it be somewhat less effective too?
Because without trying to have the skills section in there, aren't they going to be like " well how did this guy being a paramedic, make him qualified to be X (anything other than a medic)"

Your resume wouldn't pull up on my smartphone earlier. Don't take it personally but that is a horrible mess. A resume needs to consist mostly of employment history highlighting achievements, any relevant educational accomplishments excluding high school, and a skills section.

First, what kind of jobs are you applying for? General desk jockey, forklift driver, neurosurgeon, etc.? So many people ask for advice in this thread not knowing what they want to do, that's totally cool. But you should be targeting your resume to some extent. Shooting that thing all over the place isn't going to do you any favors. Given your bachelors is it something related to the law... paralegal...?

Here's a the most glaringly obvious problems:
  • Your skills section is not a list of skills, but a list of generic job tasks and vague accomplishments. Proposed measures -- were any enacted? 100 pages of writing -- were they published, or just written? Conducted quantitative/qualitative research -- in what, and what were the results? Procedures resulting in cost savings -- what were the savings? A skills should go after employment and is something like (consider you're a software engineer) SKILLS: C, C++, C#, Perl, Python, PHP, etc. (I'm not a software engineer, just giving an example). It's brief, to the point. What you have in there right now is what most people put in their employment section and it's snoring inducing there too. Also, it's Excel, not excel.
  • Take your grad school GPA off. Everyone knows nobody gets less than A- in grad school in any discipline.
  • In fact, consider taking your grad degree off altogether unless it's directly relevant to the job you're applying for. I know that stings. But yes, people will pass you over because they think you're overqualified/too expensive/a flight risk. If you do leave it on, remove "concentration".
  • I didn't even know "Bachelor of Science and Technology" is a thing. Nobody knows what that is. Just put "Bachelor of Science".
  • Your employment history should occupy 75% of the page and right now it's about 30%. Despite the fact that you're now a college grad, employers in deskjockeyforkliftneurosurgery will be MUCH more interested in what you did and accomplished working for 7 years as a paramedic crew chief than the fact that you claim to have "Retained composure even when interacting with upset and emotional individuals" (!?)
  • Don't worry about the resume gap. No sane hiring manager, myself included, would expect someone to work in EMS full time and also be a full-time student regardless of their major.

I probably sound like a dick in this post but I'd rather point out the problems to you here than have you wondering why you've sent out 200 resumes without a single callback.

Oh yeah, don't go back to that career person again. If they looked at that and are encouraging you to apply to jobs with it they should be relieved of their duties.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

seacat posted:

First, what kind of jobs are you applying for? General desk jockey, forklift driver, neurosurgeon, etc.? So many people ask for advice in this thread not knowing what they want to do, that's totally cool. But you should be targeting your resume to some extent. Shooting that thing all over the place isn't going to do you any favors. Given your bachelors is it something related to the law... paralegal...?

Honestly I welcome the feedback.
I'm mainly targeting legalesque jobs, not paralegal though. Looking at the bigger companies in my area I'm looking more at stuff like "X government agency relations" type stuff. That particular one I made was related to securities compliance.

I'm also trying to keep the skills relevant to the particular position, but much of the legal side is directly tied to my grad studies.

seacat posted:

Here's a the most glaringly obvious problems:
  • Your skills section is not a list of skills, but a list of generic job tasks and vague accomplishments. Proposed measures -- were any enacted? 100 pages of writing -- were they published, or just written? Conducted quantitative/qualitative research -- in what, and what were the results? Procedures resulting in cost savings -- what were the savings? A skills should go after employment and is something like (consider you're a software engineer) SKILLS: C, C++, C#, Perl, Python, PHP, etc. (I'm not a software engineer, just giving an example). It's brief, to the point. What you have in there right now is what most people put in their employment section and it's snoring inducing there too. Also, it's Excel, not excel.
  • Take your grad school GPA off. Everyone knows nobody gets less than A- in grad school in any discipline.
  • In fact, consider taking your grad degree off altogether unless it's directly relevant to the job you're applying for. I know that stings. But yes, people will pass you over because they think you're overqualified/too expensive/a flight risk. If you do leave it on, remove "concentration".
  • I didn't even know "Bachelor of Science and Technology" is a thing. Nobody knows what that is. Just put "Bachelor of Science".
  • Your employment history should occupy 75% of the page and right now it's about 30%. Despite the fact that you're now a college grad, employers in deskjockeyforkliftneurosurgery will be MUCH more interested in what you did and accomplished working for 7 years as a paramedic crew chief than the fact that you claim to have "Retained composure even when interacting with upset and emotional individuals" (!?)
  • Don't worry about the resume gap. No sane hiring manager, myself included, would expect someone to work in EMS full time and also be a full-time student regardless of their major.

I probably sound like a dick in this post but I'd rather point out the problems to you here than have you wondering why you've sent out 200 resumes without a single callback.

Oh yeah, don't go back to that career person again. If they looked at that and are encouraging you to apply to jobs with it they should be relieved of their duties.

Well the majority of my grad work was research and policy analysis, nothing published though. So is there really anyway to try and use that as a selling point?

From my safety committee gig is where the "company cost savings" came from. We did save the company money on WC premiums, but I don't know how much.

The S&T was from same said career person, so I'll cut it (honestly never understood it myself).

As far as leaving grad school off. Well wouldn't that compound the problem, since then I'd have a 2+ year gap, as opposed to a few months? I'm not opposed to entry level even with an M.S., if nothing else just to get experience/ a foot in the door.
My last employment is also tied to my M.S., and really the only office type job I've ever had.

That was my way of trying to sound professional while saying "didn't laugh in mom's face when little Johnny died in the most absurd way possible". I think that having dealt with people in some of the worst kind of life situations is a skill that's beneficial in most workplaces.

I'll do some work and post the updated version.

Edit:
Under the education section is it acceptable to put my related research stuff?
Like for a securities legalperssondeckjocky having something like my first bullet point?

I'm more than willing to put the time into this, it's all completely new to me. Being a medic it was like "fill out an application, get a job".

UrielX fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 7, 2014

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

UrielX posted:

New to the whole corporate world job search thing. I met with a career person that directed me to use a "functional resume" to try to show skill crossover from past jobs/school to match job duties.

This is all new to me (I've been in EMS virtually my whole adult life).
I could definitely use some help/feedback for my resume.

I've only sent out a few so far, but in this format (customized to each job).

Resume:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4t3_oedE6eVWZkRnJyd2d2SHc/edit?usp=sharing

You need to get rid of the functional resume format. Here is a VERY basic critique, but basically this needs to be completely reorganized and redone. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

I have been working on a new resume and would like to get some eyes on it if possible to see if I'm going in the right direction. I have been criticized before for being too general with my experience descriptions, and I have been trying to tighten that up. The problem is, it is hard to describe some of the items that I have worked on without writing an essay about it, and some of it would be sensitive information which I can't go into much detail about. There are some more things I could probably throw in as examples, but it already feels like it is getting quite wordy. I also feel short on tangible accomplishments like "improved efficiency XX%!" or "prevented thermonuclear war!".

Some background: I worked at this company for five years, then left on good terms to help with my family's small business, and because I was not satisfied with the work and the salary. I have worked with the family business for a little over a year, and I've decided to start looking into engineering jobs again that may be more interesting.

Any critique would be appreciated. This is still sort of a work in progress, and I have redacted some things that would make it easy to determine where I worked. Also, I consider the qualifications section to be flexible and plan to modify it depending on the job I am applying to.

Please ignore any minor formatting issues, it got slightly mangled when exporting from Pages.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6OMDRnJakIcNG1ydENSNjBEaUE/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Removed iCloud link.

Suspicious Package fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 9, 2014

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008
Ok...
So I decided to make a master list of my job specific accomplishments, that I can custom tailor to each specific job that I'll be applying for. Basically I figured I'd add the best/most applicable bullets to the resume.

It's still a work in progress, but I wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction.

While looking around last night at some resume resources I saw one that mentioned "full time student" under the employment heading. What do you guys think about that? It would actually allow me to close that gap, but also explain how my research is pertinent to the job as well.

Master list:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4t3_oedE6eZTVPSzZuc05KVzg/edit?usp=sharing

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So what are the thoughts on how to handle an extended employment gap on your resume?

Technically I have been doing random freelance and other non-career work while unemployed, but I leave that off. It's long enough now (9 months) that I am sure I am getting less calls because of it. Should I just put freelance on there to fill it, and leave it ambiguous? The very little freelance stuff I've done has not been meaningful enough to put on a resume. I worked in media and all of it has been just writing/editing stuff for friends who were too lazy to do so, so bylines or anything.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So what are the thoughts on how to handle an extended employment gap on your resume?

Technically I have been doing random freelance and other non-career work while unemployed, but I leave that off. It's long enough now (9 months) that I am sure I am getting less calls because of it. Should I just put freelance on there to fill it, and leave it ambiguous? The very little freelance stuff I've done has not been meaningful enough to put on a resume. I worked in media and all of it has been just writing/editing stuff for friends who were too lazy to do so, so bylines or anything.

Yeah, just say "Freelance editing and copywriting"; it's better than a gap. People will figure it out quickly when you don't list any bylines/etc. Nobody's going to hold small jobs against you to pay the rent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, back to the job hunt I go. This ship's a-sinking. Does anyone know a diplomatic way to say "I got the hell out of Dodge before the company imploded" if I'm asked why I'm changing jobs?

Much more minor question - do employers really care/pay attention to when resumes are received? I remember hearing somewhere that paperwork sent out on weekends was less likely to be considered, but now that I actually have job experience that seems to be less of an HR thing and more of a general customer-relations issue.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Well, back to the job hunt I go. This ship's a-sinking. Does anyone know a diplomatic way to say "I got the hell out of Dodge before the company imploded" if I'm asked why I'm changing jobs?
There's nothing wrong with saying something like "I'm really concerned about my company's financial health and have decided to start looking for something more stable.". Do not go into details and do not badmouth your company, and nobody sane will hold it against you for leaving a sinking ship.

quote:

Much more minor question - do employers really care/pay attention to when resumes are received? I remember hearing somewhere that paperwork sent out on weekends was less likely to be considered, but now that I actually have job experience that seems to be less of an HR thing and more of a general customer-relations issue.
No, that's a complete load. Anyone who cares when your resume was sent is someone you do not want to work for. I've never met anyone who has done any hiring who cares.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

UrielX posted:

While looking around last night at some resume resources I saw one that mentioned "full time student" under the employment heading. What do you guys think about that? It would actually allow me to close that gap, but also explain how my research is pertinent to the job as well.

Master list:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4t3_oedE6eZTVPSzZuc05KVzg/edit?usp=sharing

Rather than put full-time student, create a section called "Academic Projects".

Treat this like a work experience section. Include a section heading, the name of each project, when edyou work on the project (month year - month year), and if you had a specific title or role in the project (i.e. Project Manager). Provide a description of the work you did on this project, and make sure to specifically mention specific types of software, tools, methodologies, and processes you used that are relevant to the industry you want to work in. It's important to work into the description whether you did this work as a member of a team or solo, including how many students were on the team. Often times your end result is a paper or presentation. If that is the case, include information about the length of paper and/or presentation (how many pages was the paper? How many minutes was the presentation?).

Here is an example:

ACADEMIC PROJECTS (the heading)

(Project Title) Experimental Economics: Strategy and Game Theory (Dates) April 2013 – June 2013
- Developed and implemented an original investigation into moral hazard and incentives to cheat given various levels of available information in a controlled game with thirteen participants.
- Wrote a 30-page report that graphically and mathematically analyzed results with MS Excel and Stata.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 8, 2014

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go
I'm applying for a Music Producer position at a games company soon. This is what I have for a CV so far. I know it is pretty (extremely) terrible but I'm not sure how to make it sound better. I've also been writing and producing my own music for the past eight-ish years but I'm not sure if/how I should incorporate that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-mNFJoxl6K9QjktSnZqZFpNVzA/edit?usp=sharing

Help.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anyone want to take a peek at my resume? I worked really hard on it a while ago and got VERY close to getting the most ideal of ideal jobs ever. It fell through and there doesnt seem to be many jobs I want at the moment. This is probably the best time to update my resume

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ZdK3ROJ7bnbUx0TTRkdWpMTXc/edit?usp=sharing

I currently work in Quality Assurance in a Food Manufacturing plant but I want to move to some form of Product Development. I tweaked my resume as much as possible to reflect that.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Anyone want to take a peek at my resume? I worked really hard on it a while ago and got VERY close to getting the most ideal of ideal jobs ever. It fell through and there doesnt seem to be many jobs I want at the moment. This is probably the best time to update my resume

I currently work in Quality Assurance in a Food Manufacturing plant but I want to move to some form of Product Development. I tweaked my resume as much as possible to reflect that.

I'd move your education to the top -- always nice to highlight a BS in such a specific discipline like food science and tech -- a lot better for product development than, say, sociology.

Also: Will HACCP and SQF mean something to the people looking at your resume? If so, never mind, but if not -- consider being more specific.

Be a little more specific in how you saved tens of thousands of dollars -- that's a huge accomplishment.

You've got a pretty solid resume. Only thing I'd add would be a little summary at the top. Call it a mini-cover letter -- take your best aspects that you may highlight in a cover letter or resume and have it right at the top of the resume -- doesn't matter if you repeat yourself it's only going to be a few sentences maximum. But it'll really draw the reader in and grab their attention.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I have my own dilemma. I know my resume is solid -- I landed a job interview for a state position with a human services department -- the job is for a program analyst, it's a more than respectable salary, and it's a big leap up from my current position. The job utilizes data analysis and requires strong knowledge of research methods and program evaluation practices, etc -- I'm pretty good with SPSS, am familiar with Stata, and haven't used SAS. I conducted my own research study for my Master's Degree (MPA) evaluating a welfare-to-work program, using research methods and SPSS analysis, etc. I know my education and this impressed them, and it's the main background I have to justify the state hiring me for this job.

I consider myself an above-average interviewer, but I'm a little nervous about how to deal with data analysis questions -- anyone with experience interviewing for positions like these have any advice? I've been brushing up on all my knowledge to ensure I'm able to convey anything they might ask, whether it's descriptive or inferential statistics, SPSS commands, when it's appropriate to organize a cross-sectional/longitudinal/prospective study, etc.

My other issue is that I technically accepted a job offer last week for a different position. But the one I'm interviewing for is so much better, and I'd take it in a heartbeat. Can I say during the interview that I was "offered another position" that I'm considering, and would appreciate a response sooner rather than later? Is there a non-assholish way of saying that?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Sefiros posted:

I'm applying for a Music Producer position at a games company soon. This is what I have for a CV so far. I know it is pretty (extremely) terrible but I'm not sure how to make it sound better. I've also been writing and producing my own music for the past eight-ish years but I'm not sure if/how I should incorporate that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-mNFJoxl6K9QjktSnZqZFpNVzA/edit?usp=sharing

Help.

Here you go. I hope this gives you a good starting point to revise your CV.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

railroad terror posted:

I'd move your education to the top -- always nice to highlight a BS in such a specific discipline like food science and tech -- a lot better for product development than, say, sociology.

Also: Will HACCP and SQF mean something to the people looking at your resume? If so, never mind, but if not -- consider being more specific.

Be a little more specific in how you saved tens of thousands of dollars -- that's a huge accomplishment.

You've got a pretty solid resume. Only thing I'd add would be a little summary at the top. Call it a mini-cover letter -- take your best aspects that you may highlight in a cover letter or resume and have it right at the top of the resume -- doesn't matter if you repeat yourself it's only going to be a few sentences maximum. But it'll really draw the reader in and grab their attention.

HACCP and SQF are a-OK to leave as-is in the food manufacturing industry.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

DustingDuvet posted:

Here you go. I hope this gives you a good starting point to revise your CV.

Awesome, thank you!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

railroad terror posted:

HACCP and SQF are pretty huge in the food industry. Even if Im not going to do food safety, knowing how a plant actually works is pretty marketable.

I've been told by multiple people to put education at the bottom because I'm at the point in my career where a degree in my field is expected. If it was a Masters or phD I might move it to the top.

The tens of thousand thing is me rounding the actual cost of the save. Maybe putting the actual number (which is less than 10K :( ) would be better?

Ill definitely work on the summary thing, although I assumed thats what a cover letter was for...?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
References question. I've got a stable job as a defense contractor but I'm looking to move up and elsewhere for a variety of reasons. I work entirely at the gov't site rather than at my company and have a great rapport with the deputy directors that I support and report to directly. If asked I'm certain I could use them as references but, since I don't want to advertise to them or the office that I'm looking at other opportunities, I can't. I do still keep in touch with two former co-workers at my current job, but they were at my level in the hierarchy of the office. I haven't kept in touch with my supervisors from my old job from over three years ago. So, if asked for references, how should I respond? Use my two old co-workers? Decline and politely explain why I cannot provide references from a supervisor(s)?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Sefiros posted:

Awesome, thank you!

Your welcome. It was intended as a quick informal critique. Please excuse the grammar in my comments. Good luck.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

The tens of thousand thing is me rounding the actual cost of the save. Maybe putting the actual number (which is less than 10K :( ) would be better?

Ill definitely work on the summary thing, although I assumed thats what a cover letter was for...?

Put whatever you're comfortable with! Future employers aren't going to scour the records of previous employers to verify it.

Some people don't include the summary -- I see it as something that can complement a cover letter, which should be brief. The cover letter is your chance, in my opinion, to really get specific about why you're a good candidate for the position, addressing specific points in the job description.

The summary atop your resume can be more a general way to highlight your skills and expertise -- remember, you don't need to throw everything out in the cover letter, or on the flip side, cram a poo poo ton of information into the resume. Balance between the two, and really make a chance to sell yourself for every individual job advertisement you come across.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

This needs a lot of work. Here is a very basic critique. Hope this helps!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

DustingDuvet posted:

This needs a lot of work. Here is a very basic critique. Hope this helps!

Wow thanks for the critique. Theres a lot of good stuff there that I can fix.

"Effective Sensory Analysis" is a specific type of sensory though. I did, however, consider changing it to "Effective Testing Sensory Analysis" so I might as well do that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also the "tens of thousands" part of my resume was referring to multiple products. I just calculated the 'biggest' save I've had and it was $7022.12. Should I put that in the resume? Every single cover letter I've sent out has reference my 'big' save, and I figure that would be a better place to be specific about it.

The amount of money I've saved the company is somewhere in the 15-20Ks yearly, but its not always easy to pin down a concrete number with my work. It's not always as specific as "made rework formula for 2 batches that could have costed $7,022." Most of the money I saved them is through preventative measures. Its hard to quantify a loss if there was never the risk of a loss at all!

I guess I'm asking where should I specify my 'big' save? Honestly, 7K is chump change to a big company...

E: For the record, I calculated the 'cost' of the batch and didnt include labor or anything else (I don't have access to those numbers honestly). Most of our formulas I've done were somewhere around 1.5K a batch. This big save was for an exceptionally expensive organic caramel that some dummy screwed by oversweetening 2 batches of it with organic tapioca syrup.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 9, 2014

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

I guess I'm asking where should I specify my 'big' save? Honestly, 7K is chump change to a big company...

Yeah, most people put "Interacted with coworkers in an energetic results-oriented team dynamic with extra focus on synergy". If you really did save 5K, 7K, 10K, whatever the gently caress, you're still ahead of 99% of applicants by at least quantifying results and showing accomplishments.

kwadrat
Jan 4, 2014

This is both a suggestion and a question for the pros: would make more sense to additionally quantify it in terms of %? Given I have 0 idea about how much that 7k meant for that particular situation it seems natural to set up a frame of reference. Than again, I don't know if that is a thing one should do. Other than that, 15-20k pa savings/prevented losses just looks better then 'tens of thousands of dollars'. Just thinking out loud.

Great thread, genuinely fuelled my week-long resume bonanza.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
So I interviewed on the 2nd for a position. Interview went very well. I was informed that they would be making a decision early in the week. End of the week comes and I hadn't heard anything from them so I shot over a short email that basically said "still interested in the position, wanted to know if you had made a decision and I perhaps didn't get some correspondence on it". At about 4:30 on Friday, I get the following email:

quote:

[name removed]
Hi there! Sorry for radio silence. Week got super busy and I was unable to follow up on my reference calls and final interviews. We did extend a few more interviews and have one more next week.

At this time, I can't say we've made a decision. I am sorry if our process is taking longer than expected, and if you have another job opportunity, but all means, move ahead with it. We will be in touch mid- late next week.

Have a wonderful weekend
[name removed]

I don't have another opportunity and am still very interested. Now I'm freaking out that I shouldn't have sent an email in the first place and that makes me look like I'm impatient.

:argh:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Zzu posted:

So I interviewed on the 2nd for a position. Interview went very well. I was informed that they would be making a decision early in the week. End of the week comes and I hadn't heard anything from them so I shot over a short email that basically said "still interested in the position, wanted to know if you had made a decision and I perhaps didn't get some correspondence on it". At about 4:30 on Friday, I get the following email:

I don't have another opportunity and am still very interested. Now I'm freaking out that I shouldn't have sent an email in the first place and that makes me look like I'm impatient.

No, it's perfectly acceptable to send a follow up email when they miss deadlines. That being said, this is a little disconcerting and it makes me think they're leaning towards someone else.

"if you have another job opportunity, but all means, move ahead with it"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zzu posted:

Looks like they're disorganized as gently caress and haven't made a decision yet. Don't despair, but keep in mind that their staff is overwhelmed at the moment or too disorganized to handle their workload.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008

Xandu posted:

No, it's perfectly acceptable to send a follow up email when they miss deadlines. That being said, this is a little disconcerting and it makes me think they're leaning towards someone else.

"if you have another job opportunity, but all means, move ahead with it"

Yeah, that's what kind of has me down. On to the next one I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Zzu posted:

Yeah, that's what kind of has me down. On to the next one I guess.

Always keep going on to the next one until you get an offer.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
That last line is very similar to what I've told candidates before when I'm leaning towards someone else but the situation dictates that I can't commit one way or the other just yet. You didn't do anything wrong at all, you're just aware of the situation now rather than in another two weeks time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:sigh: Well I guess it's time I bite the bullet and start applying for retail jobs. How much of my resume should I omit if I have an MSc to have any hope of getting hired at the local drugstore or something? The last time I was a retail grunt was about this time four years ago when I was in the same position after getting my BSc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have a phone interview tomorrow, they have my resume, they liked it (I guess) and my friend put a good word in for me (probably more useful than my resume).

I like the company, I like what they do, I've read a bunch about them over the past couple days before applying and even more since I scheduled the interview.

Is there anything else I can do to prepare? I'm nervous I really need a job and I like the looks of this one a lot :(

e: I mean I sent in my resume and stuff over the weekend, they're moving really fast I dunno what to do :ohdear:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shugojin posted:

I have a phone interview tomorrow, they have my resume, they liked it (I guess) and my friend put a good word in for me (probably more useful than my resume).

I like the company, I like what they do, I've read a bunch about them over the past couple days before applying and even more since I scheduled the interview.

Is there anything else I can do to prepare? I'm nervous I really need a job and I like the looks of this one a lot :(

e: I mean I sent in my resume and stuff over the weekend, they're moving really fast I dunno what to do :ohdear:

The OP posted:

OMG they want to do a phone screen help omg i'm too excited to remember how to hit shift11111
A phone screen generally exists to make sure that you can communicate intelligibly in English and that you are not a complete idiot. Keep those things in mind and you will be fine. You may be asked some "situational-based" questions. These are easy to identify because they almost start with "Tell me about a time when...". These are trivial to answer if you remember to be a STAR. If you can't remember that gimmicky thing, just tell a complete story, from beginning to end, explaining what you needed to do, why you needed to do it, who was involved, what you specifically did (seriously, use "I" here - not "we", lots of hiring managers hate that because it makes it sound like the situation happened with you as a passive observer), and the outcome. Success or failure are okay, as long as you can show you learned from it and you had a good reason to fail.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I didn't see that :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have an interview on Thursday I am mega psyched. This is my first interview in like... poo poo, years.