Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ehud posted:

@RapSheet 57s
Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham.

the rumors are a-flyin
The first NFL draft to have 10 receivers go in the top 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

DupaDupa posted:

Its really cool that one of the pages is, "Seahawks as an organization are the quickest and most willing to admit draft mistakes"
Lol Jacksonville last

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

Given that historically 61% of WRs chosen in the top 10 bust, that'd be a massacre!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Peter King @SI_PeterKing

Turns out I might be wrong about Blake Bortles (the horror!). Cleve, Az interested higher than I had him (26th, to Cleve).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Elotana posted:

Lol Jacksonville last
Sounds to me like maybe they've never made a drafting mistake!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Obvious strategic leak. The team whose beat writers can't even get a nugget of info out of the front office is going to leak their plan to one of the most high profile national guys 2 days before the draft.

OBJ rules and all but come on.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't give a poo poo what is or isn't a smokescreen, I don't care if literally everything people have said are smokescreens happen or don't

If Bortles' name gets added to the Browns mannequin jersey by the end of this weekend, this miserable draft was entirely worth it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Holy poo poo the wait this year has been interminable. Just have the loving draft already.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Blitz7x posted:

Oakland Raiders Primary Needs going into the NFL Draft 2K14

Quarterback: Matt Schaub is not the future and we need a shiny new QB that doesn't suck

Defensive end: Justin Tuck and Lamarr Woodley are ancient and the team needs to draft a DE in the first round for the first time since 1991

Defensive tackle: The Ninja guy from Houston is cool, but he's 33. Need someone here

Offensive Line: They're all bad except for the Center

Cornerback: If we keep throwing picks at this position, some of them have to stick right?

Safety: Woodson, while amazing, is 38

Lamarr Woodley isn't even 30 yet. He's just an injury liability

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Holy poo poo the wait this year has been interminable. Just have the loving draft already.

Somebody says this every year.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

kiimo posted:

Somebody says this every year.

Somebody says this every month.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

And its always true.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I thought it was tomorrow :(

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sweeney Tom posted:

I don't give a poo poo what is or isn't a smokescreen, I don't care if literally everything people have said are smokescreens happen or don't

If Bortles' name gets added to the Browns mannequin jersey by the end of this weekend, this miserable draft was entirely worth it

Anything said before the draft is kind of stupid anyway. Some reporter probably asks an area scout "so you guys looking at player X"... "yeah he's a nice player".

OMG BROWNS WANT BORTLES.

Such is the offseason. Some scout could pretty much come out and say to peter King the exact order of guys they're targeting and no one would believe it.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Here, have a Buffalo Bills write-up!

Glaring Holes

RT - Erik Pears is a decent run-blocker, but terrible in pass protection. Given how committed the Bills are to E.J. Manuel publicly(and apparently privately), protecting their investment and providing a better blocker for the running backs would be an excellent move.

TE - Scott Chandler is big and has pretty good hands, but he's not the least bit athletic and can't block for poo poo. In other words, we could use a more athletic, multi-talented tight end for him to play second-fiddle to. Whether they value a guy who can play like the Gronks and Grahams of the league or some one who can actually block worth a drat higher is anyone's guess.

Needs

DE - Sure, Mario Williams is pretty amazing. So are Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus. But we're a 4-3 defense, which means we need a fourth fat dude/gorilla. A strong prospect could transform the line from merely fantastic to a quarterback mulcher.

ILB - With Kiko Alonso moved outside and the tandem of Jerry Hughes and Manny Lawson(whoever thought THAT would be a good pairing?) manning the other side, that leaves the middle. Sure, the Bills signed Brandon Spikes, but there's little reason to believe he'll suddenly morph into a 3-down linebacker, and no reason to believe he'll be eager to stick around, given he's been signed to a one-year deal. Getting Kiko a partner in crime could solidify our defense for years to come.

RB - This may sound crazy, but keep in mind both Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller could hit free agency after the 2015 season. Will Fred Jackson still be ageless? Will Spiller be healthy? Regardless, neither is a lock to return, so it makes sense to start looking into a successor for one or both of them.

S - Oh sure, the Bills locked-up Aaron Williams, but they also lost Jairus Byrd, who intercepted three passes in the time I was writing this post(probably). The Bills publicly claim to have confidence that one of DaNorris Searcy, Jonathan Meeks, and Duke Williams will step up, but, well...that sounds like a load of bullshit to me. It might not be early, but the Bills will definitely be fishing for a safety.

Don't count it out

WR - Rumors persist that the Bills covet Mike Evans, even after acquiring former Bucs receiver Mike Williams with their 6th-round pick. And despite the fact that there is no lack of talent at the position, it's not hard to see the logic. Sure, Robert Woods looked good in his rookie year, but does that really mean he's a lock to pan out in the long run? Stevie Johnson had a down year, do you really want to bet the house on him returning to form? And Mike Williams, well....he might not get his head screwed on straight. Mike Evans could end the uncertainty, and he brings a unique combination of size and athleticism to the mix that none of the receivers currently on the roster have.

CB - Stephon Gilmore had a bit of a down year after his fantastic rookie year, but there is as of yet no reason to believe he won't return to form in his third year. However, are the Bills really content to line up Leodis McKelvin or Corey Graham across from him? And they shouldn't be happy with their other corners.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Here, have a Buffalo Bills write-up!

The Bills really just need to the least sexy thing and just shore up both their lines. The best thing that could happen to them would be to draft linemen in the first two picks. It will make the radio jocks go nuts and we'll hear how they should have have picked wide receivers. Stevie's gotta go though because he's not gonna take huge pay cut, and he's not worth the contract he has.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They could use a TE as well and frankly that's the path I think they're going to take be it Ebron in the first or more likely ASJ in the second.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm about 60% sure they're grabbing Ebron

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quest For Glory II posted:

And it would be this year too when we need a good WR. Anyone want a slightly used Mark Ingram?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
buzzer at my desk went off meaning nobody talked about the Packers in the last 30 minutes so here's my writeup for the Green Bay Packers aw yeah

BIG NEEDS:

Safety - Our safety play was garbage, mostly due to the FS spot. Morgan Burnett is decent, but putting a big-play person back there would help him tremendously. Clinton-Dix, Pryor or Ward are possibilities in the 1st, though there's a few guys that could be had in the 2nd-3rd rounds as well.

ILB - Current spots are AJ Hawk and Brad Jones; Jones was a former OLB, and the transition hasn't been that smooth. The depth isn't there either, as last year's injuries showed, when we just tossed random 7th rounders in at ILB near the end of the season. Mosley would be a great addition here, though we probably wouldn't be too upset with Van Noy or Shazier if we thought they could make the move.

*TE - With Finley still questionable, we're sitting with Quarless and Bostic, neither of whom scare opposing defenses. Quarless' hands are awful, Bostic's blocking is sub-par. It's unlikely Ebron would drop to us at 21, but 2nd round will likely have Amaro, ASJ and Niklas sitting around, any of which would be an upgrade.

LESSER NEEDS:

WR - James Jones is gone, and Boykin is replacing him. But that means we need a developmental 4th WR - I don't see us taking one before the 3rd, but there is a lot of talent at WR that will still be around in the 3rd/4th rounds. Richardson, Abbrederis, Bryant, etc.

C - JR Tretter, a former 4th-rounder, is penciled in to step in to Dietrich-Smith's spot. Don't know how much faith the coaches have in him, so the indicator will be whether we draft C before the 5th round.

CB - This depends on whether we draft a safety early or not; although Tramon Williams is getting older, we have Hyde and Hayward ready to step in. But if Hyde goes to FS, that dime spot potentially puts Jarrett Bush on the field during a passing down, which is not something we want to experience again. I could see us snagging Dennard/Gilbert if they fall to us and the higher need positions aren't there, but I'd predict no higher than a 3rd rounder for a CB pick. Should be a decent crop sitting in the 3rd/4th rounds.

NT - BJ Raji isn't the plugger we thought he could be, so we're looking to Boyd to fill in the spot this year. But Boyd's just a guy, it'd be great to get a Wilfork-type (Nix) to actually get some push up the center.

SIMPLE WANTS:

Backup QB - Matt Flynn came in and did a not-terrible job, but we could probably get a developmental guy in the 6th-7th rounds to compete, probably sit on the practice squad for a year before we dump Flynn the following year.

OT - TT loves OT.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@JasonLaCanfora: Continue to hear Lions and Bills exploring options to move up to get a top 3 OL if it makes sense. Otherwise, 1 of the two could take Ebron

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Here are the Bears needs

Urgent
Defense

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants needs:

O-line. All of the o-line.

DT- need another fatty for the rotation after losing joseph

TE- I don't even know who our starting TE is right now

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Abugadu posted:

*TE - With Finley still questionable, we're sitting with Quarless and Bostic, neither of whom scare opposing defenses. Quarless' hands are awful, Bostic's blocking is sub-par. It's unlikely Ebron would drop to us at 21, but 2nd round will likely have Amaro, ASJ and Niklas sitting around, any of which would be an upgrade.

Don't worry about it, ARodge already took care of it. My boy Tarik gonna start learning this "football" thing right away.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/packe...034994-nfl.html

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of team needs, Tanier had a light article on each team's assets and where they don't need to look: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/74362228/what-are-each-nfl-teams-assets-heading-into-the-draft#!JXllA

quote:

San Diego Chargers

Primary Assets: The Chargers have running backs. Lots of them. They look like Oklahoma State in the 1980s. Philip Rivers found a Lazarus Pit and looks rejuvenated.

Secondary Assets: A young nucleus is forming, with Keenan Allen at the center. There are a lot of unproven D.J. Fluker, Ladarius Green, Shareece Wright, Manti Te'o and Melvin Ingram types floating in that protoplasm, so don't project the Chargers into Next Best Thing territory just yet.

Big Picture Needs: Stuck between stealth contender and rebuilding team that is still turning the corner, the Chargers have troublesome crash potential. Rivers could backslide without Ken Whisenhunt; other old soldiers like Antonio Gates, Jarrett Johnson, Dwight Freeney and Nick Hardwick are close to the end; and of the youngsters mentioned in the last paragraph, only Allen has shown true Pro Bowl potential. They need reinforcements in the secondary and on just about every other unit but running back, and a quarterback of the future would be nice late on Friday or early on Saturday. It's a heck of a shopping list to fill when selecting 25th in every round.

Atlanta Falcons

Primary Assets: Matt Ryan to Julio Jones and Roddy White.

Secondary Assets: About 300 rookies who saw playing time as last season droned on. Some of them are probably pretty good.

Big Picture Needs: This is what it looks like when a multi-year success cycle crashes to a halt. The Falcons have needs just about everywhere but quarterback and receiver, and everyone who follows the draft knows that Thomas Dimitroff wants to make some deals, most likely parlaying that sixth pick into multiple selections once some quarterback-starved team sees a Manziel or Bortles slips through the first five cracks. Dimitroff should consummate some sweet, sweet tradin' with the Vikings or Titans as soon as one of them ponies up, then take the Gatling gun approach to giving Ryan his second supporting cast. This draft is deep on the lines, at running back and in other places where a mid-round pick could make an immediate contribution to the once-mighty Falcons.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Are there any guesses as to who will be the winner of this lovely trophy?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cruel and Unusual posted:

What player was this modeled after? Because I'm pretty sure that guy was a Redead. :stare:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 7, 2014

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mister Cobble is the only logical choice.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Febreeze posted:

Giants needs:

O-line. All of the o-line.

DT- need another fatty for the rotation after losing joseph

TE- I don't even know who our starting TE is right now

From the bottom of my heart, I hope you take an offensive lineman with your first pick.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Ehud posted:

@RapSheet 57s
Mentioned earlier the #Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on #LSU WR Odell Beckham.

the rumors are a-flyin

I like OBJ, but top ten, I think not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Seahawks have released their brochure that they send to the agents of UDFAs. Lot of interesting statistics about player retention and such (like 28% of the Patriots UDFAs make the roster)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2014/05/06/0ap2000000347146.pdf

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ah, the annual ceremony to present the Ted Ginn Jr. Award to the player who drops the most potential touchdowns.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

waah posted:

Ah, the annual ceremony to present the Ted Ginn Jr. Award to the player who drops the most potential touchdowns.

Can you give it to Tannehill for making Mike Williams look like Ted Ginn?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chichevache posted:

Can you give it to Tannehill for making Mike Williams look like Ted Ginn?

I think Sherman is more deserving.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Ehud posted:

@JasonLaCanfora: Continue to hear Lions and Bills exploring options to move up to get a top 3 OL if it makes sense. Otherwise, 1 of the two could take Ebron

He should cap that off with a #smokescreens

The talks of Detroit going after or guys mocking OL help don't really make much sense. They had good line play last year and their first 1000 yard rusher in years. Bell also chipped in 650 yards. Their are far more glaring holes on this team.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

From a while ago but as someone who lost their parents at 16 and took care of my sister and knows what a struggle that was, I hope he does well and I'm rooting for him to succeed.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

kiimo posted:

Don't worry about it, ARodge already took care of it. My boy Tarik gonna start learning this "football" thing right away.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/packe...034994-nfl.html

I saw that before, I think it'd be awesome if they brought him in and see what he can do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Even other quarterbacks dissin Johnny.

quote:

"I was in the weight room the other day with Joey Porter, (and he was) asking me what I thought about Manziel," Roethlisberger said on his radio show. "I looked at Joey and said, 'Joey, do you think if you got a good hit on him, that he would be OK? And he said, 'No, not at all.' And that's my question. You have guys like Joey Porter, who's a big guy, guys that are fast like Troy (Polamalu), Ike Taylor coming off the edge, Lawrence Timmons. You'd better be real athletic, get down or be big."

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Manziel was 5'11 3/4", 207lbs at the combine. Russell Wilson was 5'11", 204lbs at his combine. I think he'll be fine granted he takes the average amount of hits an NFL QB takes. There is no QB that is guaranteed to be OK if a linebacker or safety gets a good hit on them, even Roethlisberger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Butthead posted:

Manziel was 5'11 3/4", 207lbs at the combine. Russell Wilson was 5'11", 204lbs at his combine. I think he'll be fine granted he takes the average amount of hits an NFL QB takes. There is no QB that is guaranteed to be OK if a linebacker or safety gets a good hit on them, even Roethlisberger.

So far, one of Wilson's greatest strengths is that he rarely gets himself lit the gently caress up, with the exception of sacks from his blind side. I really hope Johnny Football has a fun career to watch, but from what I saw of him in college he risks his body far too much, especially considering his size.

• Locked thread