Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

It's just the one spell, isn't it? I thought the only spell you had to PvP for was the utter rubbish Hidden Weapon, from 30 bellbro wins.

That's the only one you can't buy, but you can't buy the rest until so late it basically doesn't matter anymore. PvP or ng+3 for every spell, pick your poison. Heirs of the Sun also has a unique spell you can't get around but who hates jolly cooperation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Divine blessings are loving garbage. An agonizingly long chug for a super slow heal? Yeah okay sure. Or I could use literally anything else. I just lost to the last skeleton at the Skeleton Lords because I thought I killed the last one, but it turns out he didn't count. The health bar drained zero for killing that one. :downs:

e: Old radiant lifegems are loving garbage and even slower too. Why are they slower than the others? It is a mystery.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 7, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Trick Question posted:

So, is there any trick to dodging the (late-game optional boss) Ancient Dragon's massive AOE attack? Even running directly away just seems to get me killed half the time. On the plus side, the run there is pretty easy (since I've genocided everything between the boss door and the bonfire.)

Well I spent two hours learning and killing the drat thing last night. So here's a mini guide.

Get used to its sound cues, roar is the frontal flame, the fwoop is the airborne flame that everyone dies to. I've seen some bullshit tracking with the flames where it was toasting its own underbelly.

I downed it with the manicure method where you run to its back legs, basically hitting its nails. You have to be in front of the foot to bait its piddy stomp attack. Where you roll over to the other leg and do the same. Try burning a bar of stamina when going for damage and don't get greedy.

It'll do the rain of fire much less frequently with this method. When you hear the wings flapping run towards the tail. The hard part is when it pivots around airbourne roasting the platform, while you gotta stay around the tail. Just never be under the tail or it can crush you on landing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Which is the better gimmick out of:

Smileter Demon

or

Ha-Havel

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Now you can start playing the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Half a dozen bonewheels at the skeleton lord, from all angles, all of which can interrupt anything. Don't use any healing item but estus, they are too slow or worthless. Holy christ. :gonk:

e: Got a phantom buddy!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Try corners.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man I wish the Manikin Claws were actually decent. I thought they'd be at least better than the Caestus but with 20 strength and 27 agility I'm still doing way more damage against most things with the Caestus. Is there any way to make Manikin Claws decent?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Try corners.

They clip through them. Though the problem more was learning that every single healing item that isn't the estus flask is worthless trash except to heal minor wounds. With ng+/bonfire ascetics though it's real stupid that there is no upper limit to the range on enemy arrows/spells. And they can lead the target.

My battle buddy helped though. For some reason it only spawned four bonewheels with a phantom? What's that about?

e: Holy gently caress this ring increases my casting speed another 100 points.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's highly recommended you open the doors one at a time and then never return unless strictly necessary.

Just cleared it, and of course I pretty much opened every door at once. gently caress that.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Half a dozen bonewheels at the skeleton lord, from all angles, all of which can interrupt anything. Don't use any healing item but estus, they are too slow or worthless. Holy christ. :gonk:

For me, the only problem was the bonewheels, first up I ran up to one of the big dudes directly in front, took one of them out, after that the bonewheels started spawning so I started taking them out as they spawned and dealt with the last 2-3 by running away and letting them roll into walls. After the bonewheels are gone it's a piece of cake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rudager posted:

For me, the only problem was the bonewheels, first up I ran up to one of the big dudes directly in front, took one of them out, after that the bonewheels started spawning so I started taking them out as they spawned and dealt with the last 2-3 by running away and letting them roll into walls. After the bonewheels are gone it's a piece of cake.

Yeah it wasn't an issue the first time I beat him or even the second time with the ascetic I almost did, just that's a lot, they don't care about those pillars, and divine blessings/old radiant lifegems don't matter at all. I only actually lost the first time with the ascetic because five seconds later I'm still chugging the drat blessing and the last skeleton came up and stunlocked me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 7, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, what's the program to edit saves? Because I'm not going to just start a new character because the game shat itself.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

PVP'ing in Luna. A guy falls down a hole. I drop an "I'm Sorry" wood carving down after him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

If at all possible you really have to use the terrain to your advantage and take cover behind the big pillars of bones. Not perfect, but it helps block the wheels and do some crowd control. Otherwise I had trouble even drinking estus because a bonewheel would fly into me right as I started the animation.

Ideally though you just want to kill all the little skellies before they can swarm too much. :yohoho: The Yearn spell combined with holy water works wonders.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

If at all possible you really have to use the terrain to your advantage and take cover behind the big pillars of bones. Not perfect, but it helps block the wheels and do some crowd control. Otherwise I had trouble even drinking estus because a bonewheel would fly into me right as I started the animation.

Ideally though you just want to kill all the little skellies before they can swarm too much. :yohoho: The Yearn spell combined with holy water works wonders.

I know HOW to beat them, again, it's that I hosed up thinking the other healing items were worth something. Followed by surprise they double up on the skellies with the ascetic (except if you bring a phantom, then it doesn't, inexplicably).

Also I beat the iron keep pursuer finally! Thanks GRS.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Winged Orpheus posted:

Why are people so obsessed with PvP in this game? The lag makes it completely unpredictable, and 95% of the time when you invade someone you get either someone who doesn't want to fight you or someone who has 3 friends who all gang up on you? Maybe I'm a filthy scrublord, but I really just don't see the appeal.

Its fun when it works. Though getting hit 20 feet away is getting kind of old.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
You can just spawncamp the individual skeletons as they form. You only really have to deal with like 2 loose bonewheels, and you should kill the bonewheel lord last!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

bobby2times posted:

Its fun when it works. Though getting hit 20 feet away is getting kind of old.

I haven't experienced much lag, but I haven't done much PVP. Good contribution, zfleeman. Thanks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pretty good article on lore and the game's themes

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/understanding-the-lore-of-dark-souls-2

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hey, anyone else getting a message saying that the dark souls II service is not available?

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I'm having a stupid control problem. I'm playing with KB+M, despite having a logitech dual-action controller. My problem is that with KB+M, I can't figure out how to delete a spell from my attunement list, so that I can add spells that take two slots. I know that you have to have nothing selected for replacement (the pulsing gold color, rather than the red "selected" color) in the spell bar. Then you press something and the currently highlighted spell is removed from the list. What is that button or combination on the keyboard? I have a controller plugged in to do just this one thing, and it's irritating as hell.

The Iron Rose posted:

Hey, anyone else getting a message saying that the dark souls II service is not available?

http://www.issteamdown.com/

Think of it this way: you can do the Belltower in peace.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 7, 2014

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Yep

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Steam :negative:

I'll assume Steam crapping itself won't prevent a strike against me for disconnecting during PvP

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Finally broke and summoned some Sunbros to kill a boss. gently caress spiders :argh: .

Out of curiosity how do you deal with that poo poo as melee? I just kept getting blindsided by either the spiders or the laser.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

zfleeman posted:

I haven't experienced much lag, but I haven't done much PVP. Good contribution, zfleeman. Thanks.

From what I've seen, invasions aren't the problem, its the duel zone. Sometimes theres a tiny bit of de-sync on invasions, but duels are loving bonkers.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Steam just poo poo itself for me. Went to feed the dogs, resting by a bonfire "Your connection to steam has failed. Switching to offline mode." gently caress. In the past few days if it hasn't been TWC/router issues, it's been Steam. :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pretty good article. Kinda shaky on the Nashandra parts but that's little surprise given she is the main fault line in the lore of DS2.

Everything else is solid.

Edit:

Huh, the article makes one claim that's kinda completely out of left field.

The Lost Sinner tries to light the First Flame, as so long ago the Witch of Izalith tried to rekindle it, but fails.

No evidence given, no references. Not sure what that's about.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Finally broke and summoned some Sunbros to kill a boss. gently caress spiders :argh: .

Out of curiosity how do you deal with that poo poo as melee? I just kept getting blindsided by either the spiders or the laser.

Kill the little spiders immediately and stay close to the big one; you can outrun the laser if you stay in her face.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This article makes things a lot clearer for me, and a lot of it is obvious in retrospect.

quote:

No evidence given, no references. Not sure what that's about.

The cat tells you that was her sin if you talk to her. In new game+ she is supported by two witches of Izalith as well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I put together a little video for those looking for some PvP technique, especially caster/melee hybrids. I just recorded five matches in row so it's not a "best of" or picked footage, just natural PvP. This is at about the 1 mil SM level, and all of the gear is common, easy to get stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KVV55cbOc

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This article makes things a lot clearer for me, and a lot of it is obvious in retrospect.

The cat tells you that was her sin if you talk to her. In new game+ she is supported by two witches of Izalith as well.

I always forget how much dialogue is hidden away in Sweet Shalquoir.

Not entirely convinced Shalquoir isn't digressing to speak of the Soul itself, not the person who possesses it though. Shalquoir has evidently been around long enough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well the server's dead again.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Mariposa posted:

I'm having a stupid control problem. I'm playing with KB+M, despite having a logitech dual-action controller. My problem is that with KB+M, I can't figure out how to delete a spell from my attunement list, so that I can add spells that take two slots. I know that you have to have nothing selected for replacement (the pulsing gold color, rather than the red "selected" color) in the spell bar. Then you press something and the currently highlighted spell is removed from the list. What is that button or combination on the keyboard? I have a controller plugged in to do just this one thing, and it's irritating as hell.

Place your mouse over the spell you want (dont click) and press C

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I always forget how much dialogue is hidden away in Sweet Shalquoir.

Not entirely convinced Shalquoir isn't digressing to speak of the Soul itself, not the person who possesses it though. Shalquoir has evidently been around long enough.

The guide says it explicitly, but I dunno how trustworthy that is. :shobon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Once, people tried to round up the Undead and hide them away from the world. They thought that imprisoning the Undead would solve the problem. They created a towering bastille to contain them, but in the end, it did no good. The Lost Sinner lives deep within the bastille. The fool. Trying to light the First Flame..."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Man I wish the Manikin Claws were actually decent. I thought they'd be at least better than the Caestus but with 20 strength and 27 agility I'm still doing way more damage against most things with the Caestus. Is there any way to make Manikin Claws decent?

They enchant better than the caestus. That's about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

dis astranagant posted:

They enchant better than the caestus. That's about it.

Hrmm maybe I'll try that then. In other news: PUNCHES FOR THE PUNCH GOD

Goons how can I improve my Fashion Souls fit?? I was thinking maybe the Porcine Shield on my back but idk hrmm...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

On the other hand, Shalquoir's dialogue on the Ancient Dragon makes it even more abundantly clear that poo poo isn't what it seems there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

It's interesting to look at the covenant distribution info on Beyond the Bonfire, especially coming from a console-first experience. BoB duels were much more frequent on PS3, and the numbers appear to show it (with current numbers, at least). Rather than seeing the same numbers for BoB and Bellbros like on the PS3, the PC has something like 40% less, and you can feel it when trying to duel with BoBs.

Seems like the most fun PvP these days is hanging out in the Belfry tower with a cat ring and ripping up invaders two at a time.