Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You should try applying for a job just to see how far your accomplishments have actually gotten you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm glad no one responded to my job posting here a few months ago. The company cut me loose along with the majority of the work force.

I don't particularly want to move to the bay area, but it sure seems like every iOS job in the world is out there.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

ManicJason posted:

I don't particularly want to move to the bay area, but it sure seems like every iOS job in the world is out there.

Not all of them; I'm in St. Louis, working for a company doing a fair amount of iOS work.

bumnuts
Dec 10, 2004
mmm...crunchy

ManicJason posted:

I'm glad no one responded to my job posting here a few months ago. The company cut me loose along with the majority of the work force.

If you're in Richmond, VA; Charlotte, NC; Philadelphia, PA; or the DC area my company is hiring iOS devs. PM me if interested.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
My company hired like 100 engineers last year. All mobile. Tons of iOS. Toronto.

I think we've stopped hiring though :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

status posted:

My company hired like 100 engineers last year. All mobile. Tons of iOS. Toronto.

Extreme Labs?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Axiem posted:

Not all of them; I'm in St. Louis, working for a company doing a fair amount of iOS work.

I am also in St Louis, we've got a small mobile outpost here for a Silicon Valley based firm. We've actually been trying to hire more iOS and Android people here too. There's plenty of work to go around.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 7, 2014

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
I'm looking around, I want to make the switch to iOS full time. We shall see... Everyone says apply at Apple but a million bucks buys you a shack to live in around SF.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Subjunctive posted:

Extreme Labs?

Yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ender.uNF posted:

I'm looking around, I want to make the switch to iOS full time. We shall see... Everyone says apply at Apple but a million bucks buys you a shack to live in around SF.

We're hiring at FB too, if you decide to consider Silicon Valley.

Extreme Labs does good stuff. I was/am super happy with the work they did for a couple of apps for us. :cheers:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

We're hiring at FB too, if you decide to consider Silicon Valley.
Seconding Facebook even though they didn't hire me. If you want access to Apple-caliber people minus the iron fist and secret police, Facebook has got some of the best. Lots of room for growth as an engineer there if you join the right team.

Past that, I'd say look at places with decent iOS apps and apply to those places. I could also ask around with some of my contacts, if (either of) you like?

EDIT: BTW, strong anti-recommendation for Crunchyroll. They are ruining themselves so fast it's tragic.

Ender.uNF posted:

Live between Palo Alto and SF in the San Mateo area and you get more room (not necessarily lower prices, but more room) and good nearby food/entertainment/shopping. SF is overrated, though the south Peninsula / South Bay area really is a snooze-fest.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 7, 2014

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Subjunctive posted:

Extreme Labs does good stuff. I was/am super happy with the work they did for a couple of apps for us. :cheers:

The guys that worked on those projects worked hard, so I'm happy you're happy. :toot:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Seconding Facebook even though they didn't hire me. If you want access to Apple-caliber people minus the iron fist and secret police, Facebook has got some of the best. Lots of room for growth as an engineer there if you join the right team.

Past that, I'd say look at places with decent iOS apps and apply to those places. I could also ask around with some of my contacts, if (either of) you like?

Live between Palo Alto and SF in the San Mateo area and you get more room (not necessarily lower prices, but more room) and good nearby food/entertainment/shopping. SF is overrated, though the south Peninsula / South Bay area really is a snooze-fest.

Sure, in the DFW area now but I'm happy to relocate. My wife really wants to live somewhere where it isn't 105-113degF in the summer for a month straight, night and day.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 7, 2014

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

wolffenstein posted:

You should try applying for a job just to see how far your accomplishments have actually gotten you.

I think I might actually do this later this year. Reading this thread has been intimidating, it's obvious the posters here know what they are talking about and I'm not even close to that level of understanding. I think if I focus on building my knowledge over the next few months I might be tempted to try for a position someplace to accelerate my learning process, but I want to be well prepared. I'm in silicon valley so it sounds like I'm in the right location at least!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

I think I might actually do this later this year. Reading this thread has been intimidating, it's obvious the posters here know what they are talking about and I'm not even close to that level of understanding. I think if I focus on building my knowledge over the next few months I might be tempted to try for a position someplace to accelerate my learning process, but I want to be well prepared. I'm in silicon valley so it sounds like I'm in the right location at least!

You might also have some success with a position at a company that will let you train into a primarily iOS role, starting from another area of expertise. I ran a training program at FB that sent >500 engineers through Big Nerd Ranch training for iOS or Android, and it worked really well. Most of them didn't have immediate mobile dev plans, but they got to get the fundamentals for when they wanted to move into that role on a team. I suspect that there are other companies that do similar cross-training things.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is there a way to safely guarantee that ARC will free memory at a particular time? I have a class of object that needs to be basically a series of singletons. You can have as many as you want but only one in the app at a time. Occasionally ARC won't call dealloc of one that was niled until sometime later. We've tried various things like wrapping them in an autorelease pool, dispatch_sync on the main queue, call runloop run on that dispatch sync etc... But it seems to always be possible for ARC to sometime keep them around.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Hughlander posted:

Is there a way to safely guarantee that ARC will free memory at a particular time? I have a class of object that needs to be basically a series of singletons. You can have as many as you want but only one in the app at a time. Occasionally ARC won't call dealloc of one that was niled until sometime later. We've tried various things like wrapping them in an autorelease pool, dispatch_sync on the main queue, call runloop run on that dispatch sync etc... But it seems to always be possible for ARC to sometime keep them around.

Well ARC uses a bunch of compiler analysis to determine when it can safely elide retain/release calls but I'd be wary of relying on the current behavior or attempting to move things around until it "works". That's one recompile or one code change away from blowing up again. I would assume what is happening is you are crossing a boundary (method call chain, background queue, block capture, etc) that is causing the object to be retained for a bit because ARC isn't certain the object isn't needed anymore.

Off the top of my head, if my object lifetime needs are that fussy I would make it an explicit part of my contract. I would have a -(void)invalidate method on the object and internally tear down or release whatever resource I was concerned about. It effectively becomes dead even if it hasn't been deallocated yet. If you aren't doing this to protect some resource then why bother? You can allow creation of instances only via a class method and refuse to proceed if the previous instance weak reference is still alive and not invalidated. Then the user of the object should send invalidate before it nils out the reference.

Actually scratch that, I probably wouldn't design something this way to begin with. If it's a singleton, make it a singleton. If it can support multiple instances, why do you care of someone creates 10 of them?

Simulated fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 9, 2014

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The ARC lifetime rules are pretty simple even with all of the exceptions to leave room for optimizations. It can never observably extend the lifetime of an object past the end of the statement where the "obvious" point for the deallocation would be, so if you're seeing objects kept alive longer than that, there's a reference being kept around somewhere.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
As long as you're controlling for autoreleases, that should be true, yeah.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ender.uNF posted:

Good news, Apple isn't in SF! In all seriousness though, check out jobs.apple.com and apply if anything looks interesting. You won't regret it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

EDIT: BTW, strong anti-recommendation for Crunchyroll. They are ruining themselves so fast it's tragic.

Got a link?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

Good news, Apple isn't in SF! In all seriousness though, check out jobs.apple.com and apply if anything looks interesting. You won't regret it.

Ah yes, the Santa Clara valley, where a million bucks buys you a lovely ranch house instead.

eschaton posted:

Got a link?

I think he's speaking from first hand experience.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Hughlander posted:

Without any other details, I'd politely describe this as "ill-considered".

I'm curious: what's actually going on here? I don't mean to open you to a public redesign of the semantics of your app, so I understand if you'd rather not say, but I'm having trouble coming up with something that would fit your "class of object".

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

Got a link?
I'm an ex-employee, and getting into details could out people. The executives (and possibly Crunchyroll's new owners) are running the good people they have into the ground.

Hughlander posted:

Use MRR (manual retain release) if you actually need that kind of control. Then put "fix that broken-rear end poo poo" as #1 on your TODO list.

Care to explain a bit more why you have that requirement?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thanks all, the why is basically an experiment with using Dependency Injection in general, and a modified version of Objection in specifics as a way of managing Resource lifecycles. Want to send a message to a connection to a remote server? Inject the message send class into your object, if it's not nil that means the connection is ready for you to use, if it's nil it's been torn down already. The issue that was being run into was the system that initializes and maintains control of Objection itself wanted to have more specific lifetimes. I think in the end we're going to store it in a std::shared_ptr.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

For crying out loud Xcode you've been linking to that framework for 16 months it's right there it's right there.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Does anyone use ObjectAL? I've been really loving it, but I've run into an issue where it seems like I can't keep the functionality of using OALSimpleAudio and listener/sources/context stuff separate. If I have a listener/context with a source, all the OALSimpleAudio calls are only audible when my game's hero is in the bottom left corner of the screen. Other ALSources work as expected, playing the audio positionally according to the listener (the game's hero). I think this is because OALSimpleAudio ends up using the context defined for my listener and ALSources, but according to the documentation, it seems I should be able to use both separately:

OALSimpleAudio.h posted:

* A simpler interface to the ObjectAL sound library. This singleton can be
* used alone for simpler audio needs, or in conjunction with user-created
* audio objects for more advanced needs (as is done in many of the demos).
* For sound effects, it initializes OpenAL with the default ALDevice,
* an ALContext, and an ALChannelSource consisting of all 32 interruptible
* ALSource objects (the maximum currently allowed for iOS).
* If you want to create your own sources as well, change the reservedSources
* property.

I tried changing the max amount of ALSources OALSimpleAudio uses to 16, as I think I should anyway, but did not solve the problem.

I made a StackOverflow too: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23569548/ios-and-objectal-using-oalsimpleaudio-and-listener-context-sources-at-the-same

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I love Reveal. Turns out setting a tableview's cell's background color also sets the sneaky scroll view's background color. So if there's any transparency involved it means doubling up on the alpha. Couldn't figure that out before I remembered Reveal.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

lord funk posted:

I love Reveal. Turns out setting a tableview's cell's background color also sets the sneaky scroll view's background color. So if there's any transparency involved it means doubling up on the alpha. Couldn't figure that out before I remembered Reveal.

I love Reveal but I couldn't justify the price so I went with Spark and have been just as pleased.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I hope applescript is allowed here :ohdear:

I'm trying to rustle up a script to change the wallpapers of both my monitors. At the moment I have this:

code:
tell application "System Events"
	set displays to the display name of every desktop
end tell

set display1 to item 1 of displays
set display2 to item 2 of displays

tell desktop display1
		set picture to file "Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png"
	end tell
end tell

tell desktop display2
		set picture to file "Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:2.png"
	end tell
end tell
But I get this error:

code:
error "System Events got an error: Can’t set file \"Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png\" of desktop 
\"22EN33\" to file \"Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png\" of desktop \"22EN33\"." number -10006 
from file "Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png" of desktop "22EN33"
What am I missing here?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

I hope applescript is allowed here :ohdear:

Of course!

quote:

But I get this error:

code:
error "System Events got an error: Can’t set file \"Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png\" of desktop 
\"22EN33\" to file \"Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png\" of desktop \"22EN33\"." number -10006 
from file "Macintosh HD:Users:foo:Pictures:1.png" of desktop "22EN33"
What am I missing here?

I'm not sure exactly, but for what it's worth I get the exact same error and message, and I don't have a file at /Users/foo/Pictures/1.png. So I'm guessing error -10006 is a "file not found" kind of error.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

pokeyman posted:

I'm not sure exactly, but for what it's worth I get the exact same error and message, and I don't have a file at /Users/foo/Pictures/1.png. So I'm guessing error -10006 is a "file not found" kind of error.

The files definitely exist, I even chmodded them to 777 just incase.

More weirdly, if I use POSIX file and then /Users/foo/Pictures/1.png it doesn't give an error, but my wallpaper changes to the default Mavericks water one. But not in Desktop/Screensaver settings, it's still set to my usual one, but I have to deselect and reselect it so that it swaps out the default if that makes sense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

-10006 is AppleScript-specific:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/CarbonHeaders/CarbonHeaders-18.1/MacErrors.h
code:
  errOSACantAssign              = -10006, /* Signaled when an object cannot be set in a container.*/
Also your error reads like it's trying to assign "file A of desktop B" to "file A of desktop B". Not sure what property to actually set, though. AppleScript is loving weird.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Anyone aware of alternatives to zsync? We have some files we'd like to efficiently keep updated (there is no back and forth just daily/hourly updates to clients) and zsync is the best option for this but maintaining it as a dependency is getting annoying.

Meridian Rizing
Sep 4, 2007
I've been using Moarfonts to handle fonts in the app that I've been working on. It works great in iOS7 but doesn't seem to work in iOS6. It fails silently and does not change the font or font size from default at run time. Is it even possible to use Moarfonts for custom fonts on iOS 6? Do I have to go an IBoutlet every single piece of text in my app?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Are you building with Xcode 4 or 5? It says on the site you need to use Xcode 4 if you want iOS 6 to work.

Meridian Rizing
Sep 4, 2007
Xcode 5. But if I build against Xcode 4 will I be able to build it against the latest SDK. I have vague memories of doing something along those lines a couple of years ago. Also my version of Xcode 4 is so old it appears to build for iOS 5.1 so I suppose I have to track down a later version of XCode 4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm doing some research, and I was hoping I could get people's opinions on iOS open source stuff.

Question 1: what do you think are the ~3 "most interesting" open source iOS projects? how are you defining interesting?

Question 2: when you're looking to choose between similar projects (testing framework, animation library, JSON, etc.), what do you look for to make that decision?

Please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for asking.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I'm doing some research, and I was hoping I could get people's opinions on iOS open source stuff.

Question 1: what do you think are the ~3 "most interesting" open source iOS projects? how are you defining interesting?

Question 2: when you're looking to choose between similar projects (testing framework, animation library, JSON, etc.), what do you look for to make that decision?

Please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for asking.

The interesting ones are the ones I haven't used long enough to dislike. The ones that generally seem to work are utterly uninteresting. But I'll throw one out there: ReactiveCocoa. A better language exists somewhere near where RAC is thrashing around.

The one deal breaker for me is being a bad citizen. For example, unprefixed or unnecessary methods in categories is an automatic fail. Beyond that it's simply maximizing (value delivered - pain induced).

If it helps, I'd place myself closer to the "willing to do it myself" side of the spectrum, further from the "use a library whenever possible" end. For objc anyway; I move around depending on the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

pokeyman posted:

But I'll throw one out there: ReactiveCocoa. A better language exists somewhere near where RAC is thrashing around.
Subjunctive: Would FB consider open-sourcing React iOS?

Also: Will the MemModels infrastructure be open-sourced at some point?

Question 2:
If it's going to be used a lot, performance and thread-safety.
If it's a big abstraction layer that's supposed to make my life easier, how much magic can I punch through?
What dependencies does it require?
Is the API any good? (For example, I wish the Bolts Framework had never, never, never been open-sourced. I've cleaned up [read: been forced to completely rewrite] code using it recently, and it is horrible)