Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

WASDF posted:

Its your opinion, but I cannot honestly see how it would be cool to have steel plates, a plastic bag, or an American flag than to actually have a record that plays music in a bunch of weird ways as well as just have the regular album included. At least Jack White's gimmicks have some practicality except for the liquid disc.

Oh neato, I get to throw away this plastic bag or find out where to recycle these steel plates or put this American flag in my closet.

WASDF posted:

People getting mad about things they don't need to buy and things that don't affect anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dunno if RRR is quite my thing (I really can't do full-on noise music), but it is cool for smaller labels and niche genres to explore what can be done with a format, certainly. SAH seems to be way more my speed, though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Jack White never killed my family so I'll give him a "neat" for his efforts.

But holy poo poo that video. I'm getting This is Spinal Tap flashbacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8B-_Jq2ro&t=102s

"The new record will have a locked groove on the outside of the record. That's never been done. Sgt. Pepper has a locked groove on the inside of the record. This has a locked groove on the outside.

The outside."

e:
"This is probably the first time that's been done."

"We just don't know."

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

None of any of this poo poo is cool.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm not mad, just living in the hypothetical reality if I were to buy one of those things I just don't know what I would do other than feel like I bought something to just throw away.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Neat isn't cool. Three legged dogs are neat. Not cool.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

gently caress Compose
gently caress Melody
Dedicated to no one
Thanks to no one

ART IS OVER

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Gimmicks go way back.

quote:

One of the earliest examples of a three-track side was a 1901 Pre-Dog Victor A-821 Fortune Telling Record. This is a multi-Track disc with three recording tracks that go all the way through the record. It is titled "Fortune Telling Puzzle Record a song and two Fortunes, See if you can find them."

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

WASDF posted:

I'm not mad, just living in the hypothetical reality if I were to buy one of those things I just don't know what I would do other than feel like I bought something to just throw away.

why would you buy it unless you wanted it and were aware of the pressing details? i dont know how someone would get into this hypothetical situation. by buying something you don't want? maybe it's just not something you're familiar with but someone buying a record like that wants it partly (if not entirely) because of it being like that and not exclusively because of what's in the grooves. this is collecting physical media after all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd like it if someday someone made a record where when you put the needle in the outer groove, good music comes out.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
lmao good luck fucker!!!!!! fat chance!!!!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd like it if someday someone made a record where when you put the needle in the outer groove, good music comes out.

yeah... but these go to eleven

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i heard if you start the record normally it plays a different other record from inside your shelf! jack white back at it again with that next-level vinyl sorcery!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone should make a record with nothing but locked grooves. You could put 400 tracks per side and it would be impossible to find the one you want.

edit: Just stomp your foot to change the track.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

wa27 posted:

Someone should make a record with nothing but locked grooves. You could put 400 tracks per side and it would be impossible to find the one you want.
rrr strikes again

http://www.discogs.com/Various-RRR-500/release/94233
http://www.discogs.com/Various-RRR-1000-Lock-Grooves/release/1973542
http://www.discogs.com/Various-RRR-100/release/131502

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dang and here I was trying to think of something that hadn't been done.

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

wa27 posted:

edit: Just stomp your foot to change the track.

Heh! That's actually hilarious. I feel like these sorts of releases would be great for sampling for productions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My favorite gimmick record is that Monty Python album where both sides are labeled 2 and every time you drop the needle you get something different so you can almost never purposely listen to any specific track. This was also a staple of my preteen years:

I used to keep it at my grandmother's house because that was the only place I knew of with a working turntable. I guess technically that flexi would be the very first record in my collection. I still have it.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Wasn't there a band that put out a record with a sandpaper sleeve?

Third Man should do that with all of their releases.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
More wooden records please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOyfdXy-JRo

Kevar posted:

Sweet jesus

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The 16" RCA broadcast turntable in the Jack White video is however, super dope.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That can't be good for the stylus.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Kevar posted:

yeah, the feederz and the durutti column both did this

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

this whole page is dedicated to terrible ways to make a record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaY-vrbayZc

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SableDoux posted:

Heh! That's actually hilarious. I feel like these sorts of releases would be great for sampling for productions.

I remember seeing some of those. They may have been speedbass samples. Don't recall.

quote:

Inside out cuts:

Record starts at the middle, plays to the edge, and falls off. No extra charge. Specify if you want us to prevent the stylus from falling off the edge.

Stylus falling off the edge is the default? Awesome.

They'll cut up to 40 grooves per side too. http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/specialcuts.htm

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kevar posted:

Third Man should do that with all of their releases.

I like their public domain blues releases. Also The Gatsby soundtrack.

I'll leave quietly :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

b0red posted:

this whole page is dedicated to terrible ways to make a record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaY-vrbayZc

Jesus Christ, that sounds like a nightmare.

Dogen posted:

I like their public domain blues releases. Also The Gatsby soundtrack.

I'll leave quietly :(

Blues comps are awesome, so gently caress anyone who has a problem with that.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

This owns, life owns. Thanks DammitJanet

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Defleshed posted:

This owns, life owns. Thanks DammitJanet

What label put this out?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Waxworks Records. The Jacket is really cool, it's got a little insert in it with some recollectin' from George Romero and John Harrison. A really cool collectible for horror movie nerds like me.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I just got my first turntable today, an Audio Technics AT-LP60. Listening to records owns. Both of the ones I've played so far sound pretty different from the digital versions I'm used to.

Oh, and when I tried to spin a 45 I forgot to set the thing to 7" and got some nasty grinding of the needle against the slip mat. Doesn't seem to have done any damage though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just picked up a second pressing of Torche's "In Return" in pink marbled vinyl. The gatefold is gorgeous.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MondayHotDog posted:

I just got my first turntable today, an Audio Technics AT-LP60. Listening to records owns. Both of the ones I've played so far sound pretty different from the digital versions I'm used to.

Oh, and when I tried to spin a 45 I forgot to set the thing to 7" and got some nasty grinding of the needle against the slip mat. Doesn't seem to have done any damage though.

It's not a bad player. I find it can vary in speed at times and the default stylus isn't the best but overall it's a good bang for the buck. I'd just upgrade the needle/cartridge what not. It does a hell of a lot for it's price. I always enjoy it when I use it with my brother (he owns one).

b0red fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 7, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

b0red posted:

It's not a bad player. I find it can vary in speed at times and the default stylus isn't the best but overall it's a good bang for the buck. I'd just upgrade the needle/cartridge what not. It does a hell of a lot for it's price. I always enjoy it when I use it with my brother (he owns one).

I was looking at replacement styli. Any recommendations? I see the ATN3600DLXI and 211-DE-COPY, but there's also the ATN3600L which is about half the price. I've got the table hooked directly into these speakers.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Is there such a thing as a non-crappy portable turntable? I've always been interested in picking one up, but it seems like the only manufacturer I hear about these days is Crosley (which doesn't carry a very good reputation from what I've heard).

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for such a question, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This came in today. Xiu Xiu - There Is No Right, There Is No Wrong 'Best Of' 2002 - 2012

Handmade packaging on clear and black vinyl.

I can't stand 'Best of' collections most of the time, because it's such a subjective thing. It helps that this on was put together by Jamie Stewart himself and every song remastered, so it's worth it for me.

Not a huge fan of the tracklist, personally. But that's always the case with collections like this; you'll always have your personal favorite.

It's an okay compilation.

Suha and Dr. Troll are great choices for Knife Play, although I would have personally preferred Homunculus to be added as well for its crazy emotional and amazingly oppressive sound.

A Promise was always gonna have Sad Pony Guerilla Girl, and I love the inclusion of Ian Curtis Wishlist (a strong personal favorite), but Sad Redux-O-Grapher instead of 20,000 Deaths for Eidelyn Gonzales, 20,000 Deaths for Jamie Peterson?

Fabulous Muscles has got its self-titled track of course, I Luv The Valley, OH! was a given but Crank Heart? It's okay I guess, but I would've liked Bunny Gamer instead. Mike is a great and personal song about Jamie Stewart's dad's suicide, so I get its inclusion.

La Foret might be my least listened to Xiu Xiu album (not saying much though) and I would have liked to have seen the angrier songs Pox and Saturn alongside Muppet Face and Bog People. Never was a huge fan of Rose of Sharon.

The Air Force has too many great songs to include, so I was sad to see only Boy Soprano and Buzz Saw on here. Great songs, but it feels a waste to ignore all the other songs on there; Save Me, Wig Master, Bishop. CA, Vulture Piano...

Women As Lovers gets three songs included on the compilation and... they're okay, I guess. I Do What I Want, When I Want is stellar and accessible. I know Jamie Stewart has always loved No Friend Oh! but I've never liked it and would have vastly preferred to have seen the far stronger and frantic In Lust You Can Hear The Axe Fall included. That song just instills an impotent rage and is absolutely heartbreaking. Puff And Bunny is on here, but I'm sorely missing Child At Arms and You Are Pregnant, You Are Dead.

Dear God I Hate Myself is represented by the titular track (:nws: video includes vomiting) and Hyunhye's Theme, which are both great, strong tracks but Hyunhye's Theme is kind of an outlier of the album and not representive of the album as a whole. Still a killer song (personal favorite of the album), but I was hoping to hear a remastered Gray Death.

The final album included on this album (which ignores the post 2012 albums Nina and Angel Guts:Red Classroom(so no Black Dick or Stupid In The Dark), alongside all the EPs) is Always. I've never been a huge fan of Always, it never struck a chord with me. So it's kind of a bummer to see that it's got 4 songs on here. I can't really stand the first single, Hi. I think Honey-Suckle is rather weak (sorry Angela Seo, you're still an amazing musician and person). I'm glad I Luv Abortion is on here, but they could have tossed Black Drum Machine and the other two I've mentioned and replaced them with the infinitely better Gul Mudin, Factory Girl and The Oldness.

In conclusion: eh.

The bonus disc of 'rarities' are a bit of a let down as well, as most can be found on their still in-print EPs such as Fag Patrol and Chapel of Chimes.

Long post about my personal musical preferences, but at least it's not a post about soundtracks.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2...ontent=20140506

So Jack White did a thing with vinyl. Seems really like a marketing ploy.

180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bahahahahahahaha

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Flaggy posted:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2...ontent=20140506

So Jack White did a thing with vinyl. Seems really like a marketing ploy.

180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Let's restart the whole discussion from yesterday morning. GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

a worthy uhh posted:

Let's restart the whole discussion from yesterday morning. GO!

poo poo I didn't even see that, my bad. I just saw that article this morning. Ignore me!