Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would still love to know what is up with the heads on the giants because they are creepy as hell.

e: I just got the ashen mist heart too and I had to look up where I'm supposed to take it. I have no real clue why I'm going where I am anymore. I get the overall goal and plot and everything but I wouldn't have guessed to go back to Brightstone to go into the dragon's memory and see an especially ashy Ash Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok, that would be fine if there actual time travel involved. But no matter how you slice it it doesn't make any sense that by interacting with a memory you're changing things in the present, past, or anywhere in time or space. It's a memory.

I think the article writer took the gameplay concession of allowing the player to take loot/souls from the memory as an indication that the player's action there we're actually occurring in the real (game) world. That's seems kind of dumb for what is otherwise a pretty good article.

Well if what you did in the memory didn't actually happen then it would be a fake memory. :v:
You are interpreting the memories as static things that you passively visit, but in fact they are basically time portals that allow you to actively influence the world of the past. This is more in line with how Dark Souls treats timelines (constantly colliding).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kanos posted:

It's also extremely unlikely to be a coincidence that the Last Giant happens to be the only other super tall skinny gangly giant besides the Giant Lord and that the two of them have incredibly similar movements and attacks. And that you fight it roughly below where Memory of Jeigh takes place(Pursuer's arena is the actual bridge in Jeigh).

It's because the Last Giant is the Giant Lord and he recognizes you. :ssh:

Although that does kind of beg the question of how you

Got his soul twice :v:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Drangleic Shield.

It's pretty much the best you can get early on. Trivializes things like Ruin Sentinels.

For sorc too? dropping 13 levels into str early on seems kinda not worth it

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Doctor Whose posted:

Thats kinda sad since the first one opened a boss door.

I'd also like to just say gently caress THE LEAD UP TO THE ROTTEN. I only died like 3 times but good lord that was super lame.

For casters, you can use binoculars + soul arrows and emit force, plus regular force, to plow through the statues. As long as you either burn the tar pits or keep your eye out for the grabby guys, it's pretty safe. The only bad thing that can happen is you get eaten while trying to switch to a damaging spell, which happened to me a couple of times.

This area is what convinced me to go find the binoculars, and it totally changed my game. It makes sorcery a whole lot more useful in general, and now the only thing I carry in my left hand is binoculars, forever.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

For sorc too? dropping 13 levels into str early on seems kinda not worth it

It's the earliest shield with 100% physical block, which is what matters the most early on. If you're using one of the crappy early shields you might as well go Staff/Sword and git gud at dodging (A harrowing experience).

You might want about 19 Str anyway for the Blue Flame, so the investment isn't totally wasted.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I would still love to know what is up with the heads on the giants because they are creepy as hell.

e: I just got the ashen mist heart too and I had to look up where I'm supposed to take it. I have no real clue why I'm going where I am anymore. I get the overall goal and plot and everything but I wouldn't have guessed to go back to Brightstone to go into the dragon's memory and see an especially ashy Ash Lake.

Well the only one you really have to enter to finish the game is in Forest of Fallen Giants. The rest are just cool optional things to do.

I would also recommend waiting until after you open the King's Door in Drangleic Castle to do the memory that has the Giant Lord in it. Otherwise you'll be doing two boss fights immediately back-to-back.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

It might be worth going cleric, as then you get help hitting the 20/20 stats for the hexxer's set and sun staff, you're all set to use hexes, and you start with 11 str (2 more and you get the Drangleic shield)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

It's the earliest shield with 100% physical block, which is what matters the most early on. If you're using one of the crappy early shields you might as well go Staff/Sword and git gud at dodging (A harrowing experience).

You might want about 19 Str anyway for the Blue Flame, so the investment isn't totally wasted.

Fair enough. Think I'll just offhand my dagger and not get hit then

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Atoramos posted:

It might be worth going cleric, as then you get help hitting the 20/20 stats for the hexxer's set and sun staff, you're all set to use hexes, and you start with 11 str (2 more and you get the Drangleic shield)

Drangleic Shield requires 16 STR.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just gonna play a little Dark Souls.... NOPE SERVERS DOWN.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Good Citizen posted:

Fair enough. Think I'll just offhand my dagger and not get hit then

Going shieldless isn't really what I'd call a "harrowing experience" though. There were only a few times in the game where I really got any use out of a shield as opposed to just rolling and moving at the right time. The Drangleic shield is helpful for dealing with high-powered archers in some areas and it wasn't much of a sacrifice to spec for it though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just gonna play a little Dark Souls.... NOPE SERVERS DOWN.

Epic Fail.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Going shieldless isn't really what I'd call a "harrowing experience" though. There were only a few times in the game where I really got any use out of a shield as opposed to just rolling and moving at the right time. The Drangleic shield is helpful for dealing with high-powered archers in some areas and it wasn't much of a sacrifice to spec for it though.

Yeah, and early on it isn't bad going without. I mean, I'll spec up to drangleic shield eventually but when the priority is pumping int/faith/attunement early on those levels are hard to justify.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok, that would be fine if there actual time travel involved. But no matter how you slice it it doesn't make any sense that by interacting with a memory you're changing things in the present, past, or anywhere in time or space. It's a memory.

I think the article writer took the gameplay concession of allowing the player to take loot/souls from the memory as an indication that the player's action there we're actually occurring in the real (game) world. That's seems kind of dumb for what is otherwise a pretty good article.

It's not dumb at all, what's dumb is assuming that the game's internal consistency - a game where concepts as abstract as multiplayer, tutorial messages, XP, NG+, and punishing people for disconnecting to survive PvP of all loving things are all contextualized within the story - simply doesn't apply to this one area of the game.

I think the memories are definitely open to interpretation, but if you think they are 100% intangible memories that can't change anything past, present, or future - then you have to prove it, because the game very clearly communicates the opposite by letting you walk out of them with tangible items. Yeah, if it was a normal memory you couldn't take stuff with you or change the past, but if you think you're replaying a simple memory, then you missed the bits where you were walking around seeing things the giant never saw and engaging in conversations the giant could not possibly have witnessed. People call them memories in the game, but the only thing they have in common with what we think of as memories is that they happened in the past.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Am the only one that can't connect to the DS2 servers?

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013
Dark Souls is like Doctor Who. Time is like a ball of wibbly wobbly... stuff.

And that's how time travel works.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Am the only one that can't connect to the DS2 servers?

Nope, I can't either.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yessss I fixed my corrupted save.

That character was at the cathedral of blue, once I got there with my new character I tried reloading him again. I immediately died when it loaded, but it didn't crash, and I've got him back. loving awesome.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Other than invading/coop/messages is there anything else I'll lose out on in offline mode?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

Well the only one you really have to enter to finish the game is in Forest of Fallen Giants. The rest are just cool optional things to do.

I would also recommend waiting until after you open the King's Door in Drangleic Castle to do the memory that has the Giant Lord in it. Otherwise you'll be doing two boss fights immediately back-to-back.

Will do, thanks. I was wondering what was in there. I'll do that, then the optional forest ones, then the mandatory one.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
If you want a reliably good pvp experience, summon people to fight in Iron Keep. The bridge is very popular as is the caged arena right before the last bonfire. A lot of good fun to be had there. I set my own restrictions on myself when I play, including no healing items ( I might include miracles too, I don't know yet, haven't used them) and no consuming effigies.

I don't care if I'm 50% hollow, it just means I'll be smarter when I dodge, and if I'm on my mage, I'll use the Dark Pyromancy flame. Muahahahaha.

Bellkeeping is for chunks and laughs where both sides will play dirty. Rat Covenant is just dirty, dirty tactics, but it's silly when the host becomes overconfident because of the monsters and traps.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Watch the Last Giant's cutscene again and notice it has a "YOU" moment followed by it getting super pissed-off.
It's a neat theory, but I have a hard time buying it since Benhart strolls in there with you and the captain doesn't have a clue who you are.

edit: Since the memories have vessels (the giant corpses), I'm inclined to think the memories are self-contained worlds that you go to and experience to better understand what contributed to the kingdom's downfall. Just like when you invade or are summoned to other worlds, you can't stay forever but still bring back what you collect.

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, on the plus side of the servers going down I could complete the Belfries and rat areas without constant interruption so that's nice. Also, does that Freja event in Brightstone happen on a first playthrough? I seriously do not remember that. Does the damage you deal stay for the fight proper?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

It's a neat theory, but I have a hard time buying it since Benhart strolls in there with you and the captain doesn't have a clue who you are.

Giant Stone Axe description posted:

Greataxe forged from the Last Giant's soul.

This weapon resembles a primitive stone tool, but is quite powerful owing to its immense size.

The Giants were eventually defeated by an unnamed hero, but alas, victory came all too late.

Your dude is pretty clearly supposed to be the unnamed hero that shits on the Giant Lord/Last Giant.

Nobody recognizes you in the memories because you're just some random undead who has appeared- the infantry even attack you in 'em when you encounter them!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

Why would the captain recognize you? That would be the first time he sees you whether or not you're actually time traveling.

Bernhart is also pretty much like Solaire, so it's possible he's on his own timeline. He is one of only two characters to make it to the Throne of Want, so he's at least following the player's footsteps.

Don't know why Vengarl makes it other than being basically an enlightened monk.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, on the plus side of the servers going down I could complete the Belfries and rat areas without constant interruption so that's nice. Also, does that Freja event in Brightstone happen on a first playthrough? I seriously do not remember that. Does the damage you deal stay for the fight proper?

What event?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NG+ only.

People say the damage stays, but it sure as gently caress didnt for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When you get to the area past the two boulder traps with the three hollows and a door, Freja pops out of the giant chasm and starts spewing poison at you for a while. Scared the poo poo out of me, let me tell you. I shot lightning at her a few times and she left.

Dandywalken posted:

NG+ only.

People say the damage stays, but it sure as gently caress didnt for me.

Maybe if you die/teleport away she resets?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Going back in time to kill a dude doesn't seem like such a big deal when the entire multiplayer aspect is contextualized as you assisting the previous/next chosen one to continue the cycle while you're in the middle of doing it yourself. It's not parallel worlds it's one world repeating endlessly.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Bosom Buddies!

Do not attempt to do this if you value your sanity.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Soarer posted:

Have you tried it while running DS3 Tool, set to Xbox 360 emulation?

Yep, still had the same issue that I had trying to just use it as is. Right analog made me attack (by tilting it left or right), all the other buttons didnt work. Left analog worked perfect.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Is the ds2 network down for anyone else?
Or is it just me?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Grey Fox posted:

edit: Since the memories have vessels (the giant corpses), I'm inclined to think the memories are self-contained worlds that you go to and experience to better understand what contributed to the kingdom's downfall. Just like when you invade or are summoned to other worlds, you can't stay forever but still bring back what you collect.

What do you mean? The Captain only exists in the memory - he doesn't meet you again in the current time and not know you. The memory you meet him in is prior to the death of the Giant Lord (as confirmed by his dialogue) so he would not know you as a notorious Giant Lord slayer yet.

Benhart's presence in the memories is up to interpretation. He may be there because he was present in that timeline naturally, rather than "he snuck in behind you". His dialogue is completely nonsensical in either case.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Oblivious posted:

Although that does kind of beg the question of how you

Got his soul twice :v:

The first time, chronologically, you took his lordship from him but he didn't die. The second time, you took his life. :pseudo:

You don't actually need a 100% shield for a shield to be useful. Chopping 85 to 95% off an attack is enough to make it toothless. Most of the lovely wooden shields you pick up here and there are actually perfectly fine for a noodle-armed caster nerd with low strength to use full time provided you don't try and turtle behind them constantly.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 7, 2014

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Finally broke and summoned some Sunbros to kill a boss. gently caress spiders :argh: .

Out of curiosity how do you deal with that poo poo as melee? I just kept getting blindsided by either the spiders or the laser.

I upgraded a Gyrm Greataxe to +10 as my spider-slayer of choice. Wielding it 2-handed turned the R1 into a sweeping slash that 1-shot every spider in its path (also works great for rats). After taking 2-3 sweeps at the spiders they were basically gone and I spent the rest of the fight running from one head to the other chopping it down like a lumberjack.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
He's not creepin' he just wants that top.

Seriously I've gotten dupes of everything else drop that drat top. Also this is dumbest glitch since STALKER's fire barrel nonsense.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

The weird part is that you never see a giant in the first game without a mask.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
FINALLY

Jamie Farr eat your heart out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So if Steam is up and From's servers are up. Whats the deal?