Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Maybe the stopper on the particular one I bought isn't very good or malformed then, there's always something left coating the sides after pushing the rest through, though overall it IS faster than trying to pour/scoop honey out of a normal measuring cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Comic posted:

Maybe the stopper on the particular one I bought isn't very good or malformed then, there's always something left coating the sides after pushing the rest through, though overall it IS faster than trying to pour/scoop honey out of a normal measuring cup.

Yeah that sounds like something is deformed. My oxo adjustable never leaves anything on the sides after I push the base up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Less often used but super handy to have is this adjustable measuring cup for sticky stuff like peanut butter or honey.
I had to throw my 2 cup Adjust-a-Cup away after the rubber gasket ripped completely off of the plunger. This happened after only a year, and I didn't even use it that much. I replaced it with the Oxo model, which is much better made (even if it's stiffer to use). As my 1 cup and 2 tablespoon Adjust-a-Cups wear out I'll probably replace those with the Oxo versions, too.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Well, the op is really old and was written back before the knife nerds convinced everyone about how good Japanese knives are. On top of that, many products in the op no longer exist or are supplanted by better, newer products. Might be time for an update. Or maybe even a new thread?

considering there isn't even a mention of K-Sabatier (or french knives in general) the last time I checked, I don't actually believe the Goon Hivemind knows its poo poo when it comes to knives :(

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

As far as moving parts on really simple tools like measuring cups etc., I've always tried to avoid them. One thing you can do is put a little bit of oil in your cup and rub it around before measuring something sticky like honey or molasses.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm finally going to have my own kitchen next week, but I'm going to need to stock up on some utensils and stuff first.

Right now, I have a 12 inch Cast Iron Pan and a small sauce pan.

My main concern are knives, since I've been using my roommates (lovely set) right now.

I don't want to spend a ton of loot on a giant set of knives, and after reading How To Cook Everything, I realize I only need a few knives.

Any recommendations on what to get in my position? Knife storage would also be great as well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gyshall posted:

I'm finally going to have my own kitchen next week, but I'm going to need to stock up on some utensils and stuff first.

Right now, I have a 12 inch Cast Iron Pan and a small sauce pan.

My main concern are knives, since I've been using my roommates (lovely set) right now.

I don't want to spend a ton of loot on a giant set of knives, and after reading How To Cook Everything, I realize I only need a few knives.

Any recommendations on what to get in my position? Knife storage would also be great as well.

What does your budget look like? For an entry-level home cook I'd recommend a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef knife as well as a Victorinox Fibrox paring knife. Those are literally the only two knives you'll need, starting out, and are super cheap to boot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm buying a ton of other stuff this month, so about $125 for a few knives and storage would be the sweet spot, I think.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Guitarchitect posted:

considering there isn't even a mention of K-Sabatier (or french knives in general) the last time I checked, I don't actually believe the Goon Hivemind knows its poo poo when it comes to knives :(

Honestly curious, why get a Sabatier chef knife over an equivalent cost Tojiro DP gyuto? For me I go with the Tojiro because I get stainless steel and better edge retention.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

.Z. posted:

Honestly curious, why get a Sabatier chef knife over an equivalent cost Tojiro DP gyuto? For me I go with the Tojiro because I get stainless steel and better edge retention.

You get a fatter blade with 52-54HRC Carbon Steel instead of 58+HRC Stainless Steel!
(It's a matter of preference TBH, but a lot of people that have tried japanese style knives prefer them, and I enjoy using them above their european counterparts except now I switched to mostly using my CCK large cleaver, and when I don't use my CCK Large, I use my CCK Small).

I still use the Tojiro petty for other stuff.

e: I still use my Tojiro Gyuto for slicing my bread.

e2: Zwilling makes the best steak knives ever short of (non fake) Laguiole, they part the seas of protein like it's nobody's business.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 7, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

.Z. posted:

The main reason to choose a Sabatier is its profile, ie, the shape of the blade itself. I'm fortunate enough to have a gyuto with a profile very similar to a sabatier (Masamoto KS), and IMO it gets a better French-style rocking motion on the board than a Tojiro/most other gyutos.

If you're cool with the shape of the Tojiro I think it's made out of better materials for most cooks. I'm pretty particular about blade shape on a general-purpose chef's knife, tho - and as far as I understand that's most of what people mean by the whole "personal preference" thing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 7, 2014

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Posted in the knife thread!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Anyone want to argue for gloves? I'm willing to be convinced. And I haven't even used a damp towel by accident lately.

I use tig welding gloves in the kitchen or grilling, but mostly because I drink a lot while cooking and feel it is an important safety measure. They are pretty cheap if you buy Harbor Fright grade ones, which hold up fine for kitchen work. I am so used to throwing work gloves on and off I don't feel they are much slower then grabbing a towel.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

.Z. posted:

Depends on the knife you're getting. I got this one and I couldn't be happier. It's light (140g) and crazy-sharp (~61HRC). If you're looking for an exact price match, it's probably just down to preference.

My comment was more directed at the fact that French knives don't even get a mention, yet the Japanese knife makers copied the French design when they started making knives for western chefs (traditional Japanese knives have a single bevel which is fine for a lot of Japanese cuisine, but not suited to the tasks of French chefs)... kind of an important part of the history of knives, but reading the thread(s) you'd think the only people to ever make knives are Germans and Japanese.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Guitarchitect posted:

Depends on the knife you're getting. I got this one and I couldn't be happier. It's light (140g) and crazy-sharp (~61HRC).
The Rockwell scale measures hardness, not sharpness. And while a very low hardness steel will have trouble taking an edge, there is by no means a simple relationship between hardness and sharpness. It's also worth pointing out that sharpness is a property of individual knives at a given moment of time, not a general property of makes and models of knives or steel formulations.

Anyone who's really worried about the sharpness of their cutlery is better suited worrying about knife maintenance and sharpening than, well, anything else. I really can't emphasise this enough. Arguments about blade steel are something that's completely high level mad scientist to mad scientist poo poo, but for some reason it's like step one of most internet knife arguments. Don't worry about it unless you have to worry about it and if you have to worry about it you'll find out some way that has nothing to do with discussing poo poo on the internet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
SubG is some sort of beard-stroking kitchen philosopher-scientist, who will write a short essay about technical topics in a way that reads like poetry, and then at the end, if you're lucky, there will be some update about what your mom did with her mouth the previous evening.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

SubG posted:

The Rockwell scale measures hardness, not sharpness. And while a very low hardness steel will have trouble taking an edge, there is by no means a simple relationship between hardness and sharpness. It's also worth pointing out that sharpness is a property of individual knives at a given moment of time, not a general property of makes and models of knives or steel formulations.

Sorry, I was tired and didn't structure that sentence properly - I merely threw the hardness in there as a response to deimos' comment about K-Sabatier knives being 52-54 HRC (which was in the context of edge retention... should have said stays crazy-sharp).

That being said, yeah, sharpness has to do with... well... how well you're able to sharpen the blade. But I'd also say there's a strong link between hardness and edge retention - and since I know how to to properly sharpen a knife on a series of stones, I love my knife :D

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Guitarchitect posted:

My comment was more directed at the fact that French knives don't even get a mention, yet the Japanese knife makers copied the French design when they started making knives for western chefs (traditional Japanese knives have a single bevel which is fine for a lot of Japanese cuisine, but not suited to the tasks of French chefs)... kind of an important part of the history of knives, but reading the thread(s) you'd think the only people to ever make knives are Germans and Japanese.

It's sorta the same reason people don't have daguerreotypes made anymore- historical significance is well and good, but it doesn't make up for technical obsolescence.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I find myself only needing to heat single servings of things often enough that I'm looking into toaster ovens. I've about narrowed it down to https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV450XL-Mini-Smart-Element/dp/B006CVVA7I or https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-155-Toaster-Broiler-Stainless/dp/B000PYISIW.

Anybody have thoughts on either one or another option for me to consider?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's a decent read:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-toaster-oven/

I've never had any luck with the cheaper ones but the Breville is supposed to be great.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Sister and I bought my parents that for Christmas and they couldn't figure it out, so now they're using a $15 toaster oven that burns the top of whatever you put in while leaving the bottom completely cold.

:saddowns:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

Sister and I bought my parents that for Christmas and they couldn't figure it out, so now they're using a $15 toaster oven that burns the top of whatever you put in while leaving the bottom completely cold.

:saddowns:

That sounds like they're using the broil setting as opposed to the toast setting.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That sounds like they're using the broil setting as opposed to the toast setting.

Nope, it's the POS toaster. Both top and bottom coils are on and the rack is in the middle.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Did you use it yourself? Was it the full-size one (BOV800) or the smaller one that I linked?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Did you use it yourself? Was it the full-size one (BOV800) or the smaller one that I linked?

Re-read the posts.

quote:

Unless you're asking for his impressions if any, in which case I totally misread your post :downs:

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Zenzirouj posted:

I've got the BOV800XL and totally love it. Definitely handy for cooking for one/two people, or those times you want to have two things going in the oven. Or you just want to wait less time for preheating.

I like it enough that I bought a second one after my ex got ours in the split.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

deimos posted:

Unless you're asking for his impressions if any, in which case I totally misread your post :downs:

Yeah, I was wondering what someone who actually used it successfully thought about it.

Looks like Amazon is doing that thing where they "discount" the price on both the 450 and the 800 down to what most retailers have as their base price, so I'll give it a little time to see if any real sales happen while I decide whether to go with the smaller or the bigger.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zenzirouj posted:

Yeah, I was wondering what someone who actually used it successfully thought about it.

Looks like Amazon is doing that thing where they "discount" the price on both the 450 and the 800 down to what most retailers have as their base price, so I'll give it a little time to see if any real sales happen while I decide whether to go with the smaller or the bigger.

We have this one and I love it. I'm pretty sure you could use it as a total oven replacement if needed. My husband has baked cakes and made a roast chicken in it, and it doesn't seem to have the hot/cold spot issues cheaper toaster ovens we've used had.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have the Breville Compact Smart Oven and it's great, but yes, it will definitely confuse the hell out of most grandparents

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zenzirouj posted:

I find myself only needing to heat single servings of things often enough that I'm looking into toaster ovens. I've about narrowed it down to https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV450XL-Mini-Smart-Element/dp/B006CVVA7I or https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-155-Toaster-Broiler-Stainless/dp/B000PYISIW.

Anybody have thoughts on either one or another option for me to consider?
I own a Cuisinart TOB-165 that amazon tells me I bought about 10 years ago and I've been nothing but happy with it. My major complaint is that the way the door is recessed to be flush with the front of the toaster creates a lip around the hinge that collects crumbs and its a pain in the rear end to clean.

I think if I was designing a toaster oven from scratch I'd either make it a little bit taller or allow the rack to be lowered. The one I have is right on the edge of being tall enough to accommodate the typical boulot/bātard of bread; one'll fit, another will be just too tall. The cooking chamber is big enough, it's just the placement of the heating elements and rack that prevent it all from being used. It's not a huge loving deal, but if I was building one I'd do it differently.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stalizard posted:

It's sorta the same reason people don't have daguerreotypes made anymore- historical significance is well and good, but it doesn't make up for technical obsolescence.

this is dumb. knives with different hardnesses-es-es-es serve different purposes. the harder something is, the more likely it is to fracture, at least in my experience. I have some super HRC hanzo steel that has chipped itself via a tortilla chip (ok, may have been a defective knife, but still) - and I wouldn't dare to touch it to poultry bones for instance. whereas, with my lower HRC thicker german/french knives, I feel confident chomping through bones and frozen-solid-blocks-of-whatever, and I can just resharpen and they're good to go.

anyways gently caress you for saying european knives are "obsolete". go cook less, because you obviously don't use your knives.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I wouldn't say european knives are obsolete, but I see no point in using softer steels when laminated steels like VG-10 can handle bones and such just fine.

Also, gently caress finger bolsters, literally the worst design choice ever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Also, gently caress finger bolsters, literally the worst design choice ever.
Agreed 100%

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

No one mentions Sabatier because it's a minefield of mostly terrible to possibly awesome knives. The name came into use before IP laws and isn't protected, so while you can stumble upon something actually manufactured by one of the half-dozen companies using the mark in Thiers, which seem to be the best quality, if you just go looking for a "Sabatier knife" 90% of what you're going to find is low-grade Chinese garbage.

Basically, since Sabatier isn't really a brand, it takes waaaaay too much research to make sure you're getting a decent one, where other knives you mostly can just buy based on make/model and know what you're getting.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Schpyder posted:

No one mentions Sabatier because it's a minefield of mostly terrible to possibly awesome knives. The name came into use before IP laws and isn't protected, so while you can stumble upon something actually manufactured by one of the half-dozen companies using the mark in Thiers, which seem to be the best quality, if you just go looking for a "Sabatier knife" 90% of what you're going to find is low-grade Chinese garbage.

Basically, since Sabatier isn't really a brand, it takes waaaaay too much research to make sure you're getting a decent one, where other knives you mostly can just buy based on make/model and know what you're getting.

K-Sabatier or Sabatier K (these guys) are the real deal. It's operated by descendants of Phillipe Sabatier (8th generation) in Thiers at the same address, and has been going since 1810.

It's like anything else - people need to do their due diligence.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Guitarchitect posted:

K-Sabatier or Sabatier K (these guys) are the real deal. It's operated by descendants of Phillipe Sabatier (8th generation) in Thiers at the same address, and has been going since 1810.

It's like anything else - people need to do their due diligence.
I can't in good conscience recommend a knife with a finger bolster. There are plenty of knives that don't have that bizarro defect.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

I can't in good conscience recommend a knife with a finger bolster. There are plenty of knives that don't have that bizarro defect.

It's telling that this is the most recommended action to take on a Sab.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have a few knives with finger guard bolsters. What tools would be good for sanding them down?

And while I'm at it, what tool is good for smoothing off the spine? Mine has hard corners on it and it hurts.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I have a few knives with finger guard bolsters. What tools would be good for sanding them down?

And while I'm at it, what tool is good for smoothing off the spine? Mine has hard corners on it and it hurts.

Depends on what you have available, belt sander with sharpening belts, bastard file, back of a ceramic tile, diamond plate whetstones, dremel with drum attachment, etc, etc.

Anything but a regular whestone really (you'll wear it unevenly) or anything that will heat up the metal too much.

You'll want to use copious amounts of black electrical tape (or similar tough tape that can take some abrasion) to protect the rest of the knife from accidental grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I used a dremel with a stone on it on a Chinese cleaver that was like that. The only downside was it skated on the side of the knife a few times but it was a cheap knife so whatever.

• Locked thread