Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So I guess I'm not the only one not able to log in at the moment, that's kind of a relief, sort of.

But I have no idea what to do once I get back in...got the four big souls, greenlady tells me to go to the castle. Thinking this is the gigantic tower you can always see in the distance, I try that northernmost gate that says to produce the symbol of the king. Signs on the ground suggest that maybe a ring is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Everything says everything is up, except the game itself. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

So I guess I'm not the only one not able to log in at the moment, that's kind of a relief, sort of.

But I have no idea what to do once I get back in...got the four big souls, greenlady tells me to go to the castle. Thinking this is the gigantic tower you can always see in the distance, I try that northernmost gate that says to produce the symbol of the king. Signs on the ground suggest that maybe a ring is required.

Gotta go to the Undead Crypt adjacent to the Shrine of Assholes and recover the King's Ring from the depths.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Fair enough. Think I'll just offhand my dagger and not get hit then

Too bad you're not a hexer, the Disc Chime counts as a shield in the off-hand and has absolutely no physical requirements. Great for absolute glass cannon builds. A real pain to get early on, but boy is it a lifesaver. 3 strength for life! Edit: Heck, the requirements may not actually affect its ability to block, so try for it anyway. You just gotta go down the pit in Majula to the Saint's grave, beat the boss, go down another pit past the boss room and then make a tricky jump from your vantage point there. Just don't drop down to the wood bridge, the jump is impossible from there. It has to be from the platform above it.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

Go to the Shaded Woods. You know where the miniboss Flexile Sentry is? Go there, look to the left. There's a path that leads you there.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
You need to go to Drangleic Castle, conveniently located on the left from the Shaded Woods bonfire before the foggy part.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Protagonist posted:

Need to go to that bonfire by the path that splits into three (shaded woods maybe?) and take the left path. It's the one that had the flexible sentry at the end

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Grand Lance is absolutely amazing because no one expects it. Put the Leo Ring on with it, bait someone into taking a swing at you and WHAM SKEWER POISE BREAK INVADER BANISHED.

I'm starting to realize that most PvP in DS2 has no basis in reality and should be approached as such. I may be a whiz with a rapier and a parrying dagger, but the flow of time is warped so I might as well just pick up this tremendous hunk of iron I can barely hold and poke people with it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is anyone else getting forced into offline mode at start up? I have internet (obviously), but it says it's unable to reach the dark souls servers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While we wait for it to come back up, help me decide whether or not I should start on a ng+ on my guy, or a new game altogether. I want to switch to a melee-focused character, but don't know if just respeccing will work out. Maybe do that and save my current character so I can do invasions in ng+? Or will the bellkeepers not be any more active there? At the least I have 10 dragon scales, so I only need 10 more to become the dragon-man-mage I was born to be.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 7, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

NeurosisHead posted:

Is anyone else getting forced into offline mode at start up? I have internet (obviously), but it says it's unable to reach the dark souls servers.

Yeah, servers are down. Right when a friend and I were going to co-op for the first time ever, too. :smith:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I just reached the doors of pharros, what a great time to not have the servers up. :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

While we wait for it to come back up, help me decide whether or not I should start on a ng+ on my guy, or a new game altogether. I want to switch to a melee-focused character, but don't know if just respeccing will work out. Maybe do that and save my current character so I can do invasions in ng+? Or will the bellkeepers not be any more active there?

Go with ng+, it adds some stuff you'll miss out on by just starting a new character. I got to rank two of the bellhops today in ng+ starting from scratch before quitting, though keep in mind that the inferior Belfry Luna is by far the more populated area. Respeccing is easy, you just need to make sure you have the equipment to make it work.

Incidentally, when you go ng+ you keep your current covenant active. Something to keep in mind if you're looking to do something in particular.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BrainMeats posted:

Going back in time to kill a dude doesn't seem like such a big deal when the entire multiplayer aspect is contextualized as you assisting the previous/next chosen one to continue the cycle while you're in the middle of doing it yourself. It's not parallel worlds it's one world repeating endlessly.

What? No. It's always been a parallel timelines/worlds thing. What are you on about?

I mean not that it matters much because the multiplayer is basically irrelevant to the lore but still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Go with ng+, it adds some stuff you'll miss out on by just starting a new character. I got to rank two of the bellhops today in ng+ starting from scratch before quitting, though keep in mind that the inferior Belfry Luna is by far the more populated area. Respeccing is easy, you just need to make sure you have the equipment to make it work.

I actually like Luna way more, so that works better for me. Maybe I'll just do both, after a bit, and for the rest of this game be a dragon until I get the torso stone, then back out to the bellkeepers. Keep my battlemage then also do a melee guy, and just dial things back. I don't exactly want to burn out so soon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Why must Petrified Dragon Bones be so rare :(

There are so many fun boss weapons I want to tool around with

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just ascetic Dragon's Aerie, there's like 10 there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just ascetic Dragon's Aerie, there's like 10 there.

It's a pretty annoying problem that the only way to get a reasonable supply of dragonbones and twinkling is to ascetic areas that are basically at the end of the game. If you want to use a boss weapon on your NG playthrough even if you find every single static dragonbone your weapon's going to be like +3 tops by the time you get to Aerie whereas a normal weapon will be +10 ages before that.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I want to start some sort of spellsword class, anyone have some tips?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Cast fist.
No really.
Enchant your fist (caestus).
Thank me later.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

While we wait for it to come back up, help me decide whether or not I should start on a ng+ on my guy, or a new game altogether. I want to switch to a melee-focused character, but don't know if just respeccing will work out. Maybe do that and save my current character so I can do invasions in ng+? Or will the bellkeepers not be any more active there? At the least I have 10 dragon scales, so I only need 10 more to become the dragon-man-mage I was born to be.

Start both. Get to a point where you're like 'gently caress, I need a coop partner so this fight doesn't suck', then switch to the other.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The acolytes in aldias drop petrified bones pretty frequently with a gold serpent +1 and merchant hat setup. They don't even give that many souls so farming for them isn't really going to hurt your ~*SM*~

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

omg chael crash posted:

I want to start some sort of spellsword class, anyone have some tips?

Get a sword, get a staff, fight people like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KVV55cbOc

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Tommy Ray Handly, once a heavy weight champion, corrupted by the manikins of earthen peak, turns into an astronaut to soothe his pain. :science:

I would have done a fashion souls earlier, but there was already a high saturation of shirtless tuffguys.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Amazing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Okay seriously what's that helm

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Titanfall 2 looking pretty good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay seriously what's that helm

Weirdo vivisectionists in Aldia's keep wear it I think?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

brb, stealing this look immediately

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Dropped by the petrified ogre thing in Aldia's Keep.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's a pretty annoying problem that the only way to get a reasonable supply of dragonbones and twinkling is to ascetic areas that are basically at the end of the game. If you want to use a boss weapon on your NG playthrough even if you find every single static dragonbone your weapon's going to be like +3 tops by the time you get to Aerie whereas a normal weapon will be +10 ages before that.

You don't even have access to boss weapons until you find a branch of yore, which is mid-game for the majority of players.

But if it makes you feel better, most of the boss weapons suck.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

You don't even have access to boss weapons until you find a branch of yore, which is mid-game for the majority of players.

Yeah, I gotta own em all, but I mostly just use them for a minute or two before thinking naaaaaaah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Tommy Ray Handly, once a heavy weight champion, corrupted by the manikins of earthen peak, turns into an astronaut to soothe his pain. :science:

I would have done a fashion souls earlier, but there was already a high saturation of shirtless tuffguys.

That chest armor makes me want to make a Samus gimmick character.

Now, what spell is the most beam-like...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've gotten a ton of dragon bone from the birds, for what it's worth.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Bobnumerotres posted:

And yet, when I finally had the strength and dexterity to powerstance the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword and the Zweihander, my life was complete.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's not true at all. Most I would consider, at worst, to be side-grades made somewhat less useable for PVE due to the lack of dragon bones (hopefully something they'll patch at some point), with a number of quite good ones, and of course a decent amount of stinkers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's brilliant really. The Mad Warrior set is tailor made to drive you mad via the process of farming it, just like the former wearer. It's a Dread Pirate Roberts thing, except with insanity :shepicide:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

That's not true at all. Most I would consider, at worst, to be side-grades made somewhat less useable for PVE due to the lack of dragon bones (hopefully something they'll patch at some point), with a number of quite good ones, and of course a decent amount of stinkers.

The barbed club along with a couple others are pretty broken when infused, they actually gain damage from it. I think Malformed Shell is the other main weapon affected by that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Party Plane Jones posted:

The barbed club along with a couple others are pretty broken when infused, they actually gain damage from it. I think Malformed Shell is the other main weapon affected by that.

Infused with what? Bleed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Annath posted:

Infused with what? Bleed?

Elemental. Adds ~100 physical base damage, 100 elemental damage, and some bleed damage, at +5, compared to un-infused.