Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Saiyan saga is alright but they didn't quite find their legs until the time Nappa and Vegeta show up. Android saga is currently awesome, imo, but Frieza's absence is definitely felt. DBZA Frieza is basically the best ever.

The real loss is super kami guru and his interactions with nail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think the best part of knowing Androids 17 and 18's human names is that, despite having one, Krillin still refers to his wife as Number 18.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The best parts of the Saiyan saga are really good though, and get referenced later. "I know where they're not." and "Dodge!" are almost as good as the Nail interactions or Frieza.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Brony Hunter posted:

I think the best filler episodes are the ones were the cast just hangs out and do normal things despite being weird and superhuman and alien and wacky. I mean, who DOESN'T love the "Goku and Piccolo Drive Cars" episode?

Some of my favorite episodes were the ones during the intermission before the Cell Games, with Goku and Gohan just doing normal everyday things while being Super Saiyans and breaking poo poo by accident.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiderdrake posted:

The best parts of the Saiyan saga are really good though, and get referenced later. "I know where they're not." and "Dodge!" are almost as good as the Nail interactions or Frieza.

Yeah, it's probably worth watching just to get introduced to the better running jokes they have. The first few episodes are the only ones that get on my nerves. It's also cool to watch the series transition into something you recognize.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Kaio What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ltNeK7Duk

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thyrork posted:

Right then, carry on after the freiza saga and dont look back! :haw:

I'd say watch everything. All the episodes are on the short side and there are tons of long-running gags that get funnier if you know the beginning of it. Plus it's awesome seeing them getting better and better as time goes on.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I still giggle like a child every time I hear Piccolo say "We get it you're from space!"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Every day I await the return of "clothes beam!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Prison Warden posted:

I still giggle like a child every time I hear Piccolo say "We get it you're from space!"

Yeah, it's worth noting that Piccolo was always pretty incredible. The early episodes certainly have gags that work, they just don't work nearly so reliably.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

carry on then posted:

It's definitely coming after the time chamber training before the Cell Games!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

carry on then posted:

I was really surprised they didn't pop a joke in when his clothing just mysteriously reappears on the lookout here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2FaWzlquM

I really love how they explained away Popo freaking out.

edit: welp can't link to a specific time now?

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 7, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Really you have to watch all of Abridged just to fully appreciate Gohan slowly, slowly coming unhinged.

The payoff in the Cell Saga is going to be magical

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not to mention, you see the evolution of Vegeta being the straight man of the group to basically one of the best characters in the abridge series. Once they stop with the references from other cultures it became hilarious.

Granted the wrestling episode of Raccome v.s. Vegeta is my favorite. Especially during two parts, one Raccome basically saying his lines from the ocean dub. THE NAME IS RACCOME AND THE NAME RHYMES WITH DOOM, AND YOU'LL BE HURTING ALL TOO SOON. (nailed it with the doom remix being his theme)

And then Vegeta's theme being from Dragonball GT. Just his reaction face killed it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Really you have to watch all of Abridged just to fully appreciate Gohan slowly, slowly coming unhinged.

The payoff in the Cell Saga is going to be magical

Oh my god, with how long this is taking I keep forgetting this is going to be the destination.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm really looking forward to see how DBZ:A does Cell. I hope that replaces the void Freeza left.

And the it's gonna be funny to see Goku and Gohan in the time chamber together, given Gohan's daddy issues.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Granted the wrestling episode of Raccome v.s. Vegeta is my favorite. Especially during two parts, one Raccome basically saying his lines from the ocean dub. THE NAME IS RACCOME AND THE NAME RHYMES WITH DOOM, AND YOU'LL BE HURTING ALL TOO SOON. (nailed it with the doom remix being his theme)

And then Vegeta's theme being from Dragonball GT. Just his reaction face killed it.

You missed the best moment. "AND YOU'RE GONNA BE HURTIN'...ALL! TOO! SOOOOOOOOOON!!!!" A beat of silence, then it cuts to Vegeta's scowling face. "...Wrestling's fake." Chorus of boos.

I love Vegeta when he's being impotently defiant. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

I love Vegeta when he's being impotently defiant. :allears:

"How did you know about the parts you weren't there for?"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I found the early stuff absolutely unbearable and just started watching at the final battle against Frieza. Frankly I don't feel like sifting through poo poo just so I can appreciate the deep, intricate characterization in a punch-mans parody show.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a cartoon duck posted:

I found the early stuff absolutely unbearable and just started watching at the final battle against Frieza. Frankly I don't feel like sifting through poo poo just so I can appreciate the deep, intricate characterization in a punch-mans parody show.

I think you're missing out on a lot starting there but whatever. You should at least watch the movie specials, they're all solid.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

But you miss out on some of the best of Frieza that way :(

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

DBZA Freeza is amazing. And it actually captures the essence of the character too. It's great.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Esroc posted:

Some of my favorite episodes were the ones during the intermission before the Cell Games, with Goku and Gohan just doing normal everyday things while being Super Saiyans and breaking poo poo by accident.

My favorite DBZ moment will always be Krillan deciding to hit Goku in the head with a rock while he was sleeping, really he is the worst friend ever Goku should of just left him dead.

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Vintimus Prime posted:

DBZA Freeza is amazing. And it actually captures the essence of the character too. It's great.

I can't quite it explain it but one of my favorite moments that just seems to capture Freeza's character perfectly is right after Goku turns Super Sayain and starts beating the hell out of him, all he can say with increasingly escalating surprise is 'WHAT?!'

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The best part about dbza frieza was his growing frustration at vegeta for constantly talking about super saiyans

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I can't quite it explain it but one of my favorite moments that just seems to capture Freeza's character perfectly is right after Goku turns Super Sayain and starts beating the hell out of him, all he can say with increasingly escalating surprise is 'WHAT?!'

Or having Goku no sell his Death Beam.
"Okay, no."

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 7, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

lil baby anime posted:

The best part about dbza frieza was his growing frustration at vegeta for constantly talking about super saiyans

I like Frieza numbering the amount of times he's heard a part of a heroic speech, especially for the pay-off later when Goku surprises him with "I'm gonna punch you in the schnoz!"

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

Or having Goku no sell his Death Beam.
"Okay, no."

Are you that freezer guy?

I am lord Freeza, yes.

Such a small exchange but it pretty much sums up DBZA Freeza for me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Best Frieza/Goku moment.

Freeza: You, you’re different. What happened? What the hell are you?
Goku: Can’t you tell Freezer, it’s just like Vegeta said.
Freeza: No you loving don’t!
Goku: I am the hope of the Omniverse. I am the light bulb in the darkness.
I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger!
I am the Alpha and the Amiga! I am the terror that flaps in the night!
I am Son Goku! and I am a Super
*Freeza shoots Goku in the face*
Goku: ...... Saiyan. :smug:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Gotta link it. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSFfMCFNAA

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

My favorite is the dodge reference in episode 36.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65MLS6_w9Q&t=103s

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we're talking about Piccolo, my favorite moment from him would have to be after Vegeta drops his "I don't listen to bastards" on Trunks in episode 38. Piccolo hears this, and just looks at Gohan for a beat. "...Gohan?" "Yeah?" "...You're a good kid." "Oh. ...thanks?"

Piccolo tries to act tough, but he's really a big ol' softie. :3:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If we're talking about Piccolo, my favorite moment from him would have to be after Vegeta drops his "I don't listen to bastards" on Trunks in episode 38. Piccolo hears this, and just looks at Gohan for a beat. "...Gohan?" "Yeah?" "...You're a good kid." "Oh. ...thanks?"

Well someone has to be a good dad for Gohan, gently caress. Just imagine how Piccolo's gonna chew out Goku at the end of the Cell Games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

It is probably my favorite unintentional running gag in DBZ that Piccolo is the only father figure remotely worth a drat despite being the one who doesn't have kids.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It is probably my favorite unintentional running gag in DBZ that Piccolo is the only father figure remotely worth a drat despite being the one who doesn't have kids.
Vegeta promised to take Trunks to the park sir. :colbert:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, that argument falls apart in the face of post Cell Games Vegeta. He's still an rear end in a top hat but he manages to be a proud father every now and then. And those are the best scenes in the series. :unsmith:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Y'know I was thinking about Piccolo today, and it occurred to me... I apologize if this sounds outrageous, but uh, is there stuff in the TV show that codes Piccolo as being "black"? Cuz it seems like a lot of people, or at the very least youtube commenters, see him that way, and I'm wondering if it's something about his portrayal, or...?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, that argument falls apart in the face of post Cell Games Vegeta. He's still an rear end in a top hat but he manages to be a proud father every now and then. And those are the best scenes in the series. :unsmith:

Except for the part where he vaporizes a ton of people in front of his son and goes EEEEEEVIL and all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
This isn't from abridged, but it makes me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KjF1XAsv9Y

YEE HAH WOO HOO HEE HEE that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gammatron 64 posted:

This isn't from abridged, but it makes me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KjF1XAsv9Y

YEE HAH WOO HOO HEE HEE that was fun.

I fuckin' love King Kai, and the VA they got for him works perfectly.

• Locked thread