Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Either ping has been changed to some kind of script or he's leaving out some bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

How the hell do you accidentally append a reboot command to "ping"?

He doesn't type anything into the command line, he just has a directory with powershell scripts that he runs as needed.

ping_all_servers.ps1 just happens to be right next to please_reboot_everything.ps1, easy mistake anyone could make.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
That's a hell of a ping

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I once found out that a WMI Object I'd been using in powershell to gather system information had the potential to trigger updates.

Whyyyyyyyy

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

He doesn't type anything into the command line, he just has a directory with powershell scripts that he runs as needed.

ping_all_servers.ps1 just happens to be right next to please_reboot_everything.ps1, easy mistake anyone could make.

Maybe he should remake those scripts with a double prompt. You know, so he doesn't take down the loving infrastructure with a double click.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

Maybe he should remake those scripts with a double prompt. You know, so he doesn't take down the loving infrastructure with a double click.

i dunno, that sounds like a lot of effort

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

m.hache posted:

I'm sure at his next job he'll be thinking of doing that, because I can't see him keeping his job after today.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

i dunno, that sounds like a lot of effort

Can't wait until it happens again.

Maybe recommend he turn those ps1 files into a .txt so he can copy and paste the commands into powershell next time.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
as long as he yelled "CLEAR" as he executed the script, I'm 100% okay\

Edit: Damnit Jim, I'm a Computer Janitor, not a Doctor!

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

How the hell do you accidentally append a reboot command to "ping"?

You don't because ping doesn't have that kind of functionality on any OS that I'm familiar with (edit: unless the entire org is still running Windows 95). Maybe it's something they added to, say, the NetBSD version?

Helushune fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
It's a common typo, I mean who hasn't put ping host.domain && shutdown /s /t 0 /m \\host.domain into a command prompt by accident.

edit: :downs:

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 6, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
The keys are like, right next to each other.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hihifellow posted:

It's a common typo, I mean who hasn't put ping host.domain && shutdown /s /0 /t \\host.domain into a command prompt by accident.

Of course! Such a trivial mistake to make. Looks exactly like a ping command.

shutdown /r /t 0 /m \\host.domain

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 6, 2014

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

mattfl posted:

He said something about boxes and default settings and he does this all the time. I guess he missed a step this time or something.

Entire EHR/EMR/PACS systems across 55+ hospitals nationwide went down!

I'm getting the shakes just thinking about this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, if the EMR system went down in 55 hospitals I would be amazed if someone didn't die.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Well, theoretically the various departments have downtime procedures in the event that poo poo hits the fan, they can continue to treat patients without the EMR system in place. Of course, in practice that usually means they start panicking and call the helpdesk to log a high sev ticket local support, demand they drop everything and help get "the server" running. :siren: This is affecting patient care!!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

mattfl posted:

He said something about boxes and default settings and he does this all the time. I guess he missed a step this time or something.

Entire EHR/EMR/PACS systems across 55+ hospitals nationwide went down!

I'm glad this couldn't happen to us.

Because we haven't finished moving all our 26 hospitals to the same domain and the same datacenters yet.

TWBalls posted:

Well, theoretically the various departments have downtime procedures in the event that poo poo hits the fan, they can continue to treat patients without the EMR system in place. Of course, in practice that usually means they start panicking and call the helpdesk to log a high sev ticket local support, demand they drop everything and help get "the server" running. :siren: This is affecting patient care!!

They can keep treating the patients in front of them, but they'll be cancelling operations and start rerouting inbound ambulances pretty drat quick.

Caconym fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 6, 2014

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

Just read your emails!! Also when this new hire has a problem that can't be solved the expected way they take the traditional route of 'give up or immediately ask for help' instead of 'try to use brain and think of alternate way to solve problem'.

My boss actually requires this. Despite the company going on and on about the importance of initiative, every issue, problem, or error must be brought to her. There is to be no research or problem solving, or you're wasting company time. Emails regarding the problem must be 3 sentences or less. She will then tell you what you are to do (if she has you do it at all).

Sometime within the next 5 business days.

Even if you literally cannot do anything else until the problem is resolved.

Of course, I learned this the hard way, as the first time I ran into an issue, I advised her along with giving a potential solution. Her reaction was basically a verbal :sotw:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

Can't wait until it happens again.

Maybe recommend he turn those ps1 files into a .txt so he can copy and paste the commands into powershell next time.

Well, if he worked for me I would have just fired him, he probably has a super good reason for how this happened though.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so... one of the owners asked me to stay after for a couple of minutes so he could do my wage review, he had one guy he was talking to and wanted to get me done as I was the last. The couple of minutes turned into much longer. So I hung around the office till he finished with the first guy, and he snuck out the back door without a word.

Im going home and having some scotch

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

blackswordca posted:

so... one of the owners asked me to stay after for a couple of minutes so he could do my wage review, he had one guy he was talking to and wanted to get me done as I was the last. The couple of minutes turned into much longer. So I hung around the office till he finished with the first guy, and he snuck out the back door without a word.

I'm going home and having some scotch

What? Is your work life a new reality show somewhere?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

It's too bad they don't have a way to email booze because... drat.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

topenga posted:

What? Is your work life a new reality show somewhere?

Oh man, you must not have been following the saga of blackswordca the last few months. I'm not sure if the majority of it is in this thread or the piss-off thread but you should really read his posting history for the last few months in both. This poo poo is small potatoes.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Oh man, you must not have been following the saga of blackswordca the last few months. I'm not sure if the majority of it is in this thread or the piss-off thread but you should really read his posting history for the last few months in both. This poo poo is small potatoes.

I'm convinced hes a gimmick account aggregating terrible workplace stories. I refuse to believe a single job can be that bad.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

Oh no, I have. This last thing was just too much.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Wear the same clothes and be at the office before him tomorrow. Look hungry and tired.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

CDW posted:

A sign came in, years ago.

How often have you read every single dumb sign plate at work? After a new employee told me to double check ours for a laugh, I discovered this one.

I'm reading this in my mind with a Skwisgaar Skwigelf accent and I see nothing wrong with it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sonic Dude posted:

Wear the same clothes and be at the office before him tomorrow. Look hungry and tired.

And update your time sheet to reflect this.

If you don't want to get fired, don't forget to add that extra time waited to your time sheet! HR love stories about unpaid hours.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

blackswordca posted:

The owner thinks the other guy is blackswordca. Alternatively he is waiting for you to bring it up tomorrow so they can entrap you for entrapment.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

blackswordca posted:

Holy poo poo dude. How have you not just walked out?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Great Beer posted:

I'm convinced hes a gimmick account aggregating terrible workplace stories. I refuse to believe a single job can be that bad.

Man, I haven't even STARTED to share my stories from my phone tech support days. The job where, for 6 months, my supervisor changed every week because it was easier to hand me off to someone else than to get around to doing my performance review paperwork. At least they fessed up and gave me back-pay equal to my raise increase for that 6 months, but god loving drat was that lovely.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just had warehouse staff punch a whole in his monitor, smash it on the ground, do the same with the tower, then drop his chair on both before kicking the chair out the door.

All while a client was in the warehouse.

and its all on CCTV.

new job is already amazing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Taliesyn posted:

My boss actually requires this. Despite the company going on and on about the importance of initiative, every issue, problem, or error must be brought to her. There is to be no research or problem solving, or you're wasting company time. Emails regarding the problem must be 3 sentences or less. She will then tell you what you are to do (if she has you do it at all).

Sometime within the next 5 business days.

Even if you literally cannot do anything else until the problem is resolved.

Of course, I learned this the hard way, as the first time I ran into an issue, I advised her along with giving a potential solution. Her reaction was basically a verbal :sotw:

That sounds absolutely awful and a great way to make talented people not want to work there.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Manslaughter posted:

We have a new hire that reads but doesn't comprehend emails. In one eye and out the other.

My email: We have a new Thing, it isn't in box A with the other Things, it is in a new box, B.
Reply email: I tried to find the new Thing but it wasn't in the box with the other Things.

Just read your emails!! Also when this new hire has a problem that can't be solved the expected way they take the traditional route of 'give up or immediately ask for help' instead of 'try to use brain and think of alternate way to solve problem'.

I have a feeling this accurately describes half my coworkers who will sometimes even miss the most obvious stuff in front of them. They'd rather call me to tell them to read their screen than to actually try it themselves at first. Along with that, they'll ignore e-mails explaining stuff or new procedures.

Hell, one of them admits to just deleting everything that's not from a specific subset of people, even if it's important procedure changes.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Laserface posted:

Just had warehouse staff punch a whole in his monitor, smash it on the ground, do the same with the tower, then drop his chair on both before kicking the chair out the door.

and its all on CCTV.

I want to see the video of him punching a hole through his tower :stare:

This morning I went to visit a potential client and discovered that their "network server" was an ESXi box hosting a single Windows XP machine with no backups, space for snapshots, or any sort of recovery ability. Why their old tech thought putting a virtualization layer between the XP machine and the hardware is beyond me, and was apparently beyond their last technician, who couldn't figure out why there was "Linux stuff" on the box and refused to touch it.

Why yes this medical facility is 90% Windows XP and Office 2003 with no passwords, why do you ask? :downs:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Laserface posted:

and its all on CCTV.

Can you like, "acquire" that video for us?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

Can you like, "acquire" that video for us?

Just in case you are contemplating this, Laserface, don't. Since I assume you want to keep your new job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Laserface posted:

and its all on CCTV.

For some reason my first thought was that he punched a hole into a CRT monitor. I have no idea why but it would've been really impressive if it was.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Renegret posted:

For some reason my first thought was that he punched a hole into a CRT monitor. I have no idea why but it would've been really impressive if it was.

For some reason it didn't even occur to me that there was another, far more likely possibility. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah I wasn't going to pull the video. as much as the entire IT team wants to, we can't as our security measures would be detailed by looking at the footage.

It was all slightly out of frame, all we could see was the guy smashing stuff and then putting it on the floor and chair-bombing it.

• Locked thread