Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Your posts are strange. If I page back 10 pages or so, you were more or less calling out everyone who would listen for doing exactly what you're doing here. I don't disagree with you, but you're being very inconsistent with your selective outrage.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah SedanChair seems to have reverted to his old self. I don't know if he was trolling recently or his usual posting is trolling or what. I noticed the change too.

How meta of y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It kills me when the right talks about the perils of groupthink when they have an organized billion-dollar media industry dedicated to misinforming and brainwashing low-information voters. It's like all they do is say NUH-UH NO U.

Also I'm going to be that goon who points out that Kool-Aid wasn't used at Jonestown but the National Review is poo poo and conservatives never concern themselves with "history" and "facts" anyhow.

edit

quote:

the trappings of being a cult that preyed on impressionable and vulnerable people run by a single person who fostered a fear of outsiders
yep I definitely see the parallel between this and the American left, thanks National Review

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 6, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hazo posted:

It kills me when the right talks about the perils of groupthink when they have an organized billion-dollar media industry dedicated to misinforming and brainwashing low-information voters. It's like all they do is say NUH-UH NO U.

Yeah, we've talked plenty about how the right's entire strategy, literally the whole loving thing, is just projection. It's really the perfect strategy because it simultaneously attacks your opponent and inherently deflects any potential criticism.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Yeah, we've talked plenty about how the right's entire strategy, literally the whole loving thing, is just projection. It's really the perfect strategy because it simultaneously attacks your opponent and inherently deflects any potential criticism.

If it wasn't a strategy, they'd do it anyway. They don't really believe in democracy, so they're always the first to abuse and pollute its institutions. They don't really believe in debate, and they get murderously mad when someone uses superior command of language to dance around them. So they gotta poo poo all over the process, so as to drag things down and back into their wheelhouse of nastiness. The right's participation in debate is always contingent and cynical, since they have a basic and historical distrust of the process.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It's pretty funny when somebody in real life says "Democrats are the real racists" and you ask "why" and they literally cannot remember why. They don't remember a single talking point, like "Robert Byrd was in the Klan" or "Southern racists were Democrat" or "welfare is worse than the plantation!" They literally only remember the first part.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SedanChair posted:

It's pretty funny when somebody in real life says "Democrats are the real racists" and you ask "why" and they literally cannot remember why. They don't remember a single talking point, like "Robert Byrd was in the Klan" or "Southern racists were Democrat" or "welfare is worse than the plantation!" They literally only remember the first part.

I like doing these guys jobs for them. Democrats are the real racists since by talking about racism you are forcing the issue, digging up old tension between the races, and making new racism out of thin air.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's incredibly telling and lame that people who do poo poo like this and then hide behind the flag think their intentions weren't obvious to everyone. These are the kind of people who's parents took them at their word all through their childhood no matter what.

I don't think it's meant to fool anyone but themselves. The far right so discredited racism in the 20th Century that it's no longer a badge of pride for (almost) everyone, and for their own self-esteem conservatives seize on flimsy excuses like patriotism to convince themselves they don't hate Mexicans, they just love America soooooo much :911:

Much like how "homophobe" has become toxic rather than boastful, so they have to call their new Gay-Jim-Crow laws they try to pass "religious freedom". I don't hate gays (God bless 'em), I'm just tooooooo pious and Christian to allow those filthy faggots in my bakery! :angel:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That's probably most of them but there do seem to be people who genuinely don't understand that you can't really declare yourself innocent via semantics when we've got video of you looking pissed as gently caress while screaming USA in someones face. They think it's like the blue collar equivalent of saying you were taken out of context where you call SHENANIGANS and all of a sudden the burden of proof is magically on everyone to produce evidence you weren't actually full of loving patriotic pride (or religious fervor) at the time instead of hate.

It's a lovely issue because there's a very large grey area like that California teen who got poo poo from their school for wearing a flag shirt last year, but there are more and more people all the time who stray out of that area and still think they're covered by the ambiguity...despite making absolutely zero effort to hide their actual intentions.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They think it's like the blue collar equivalent of saying you were taken out of context where you call SHENANIGANS and all of a sudden the burden of proof is magically on everyone to produce evidence you weren't actually full of loving patriotic pride (or religious fervor) at the time instead of hate.

I think you've just described Chief Justice John Roberts' legal theory.

"You can't prove the Voter ID and Paper Bag Test Act is motivated by racial animus, despite the dissent's racist and hurtful arguments. This court finds that the Act is merely meant to safeguard the electoral process by disenfranchising Democracts, which is a totally fine thing to do, so we must assume that the barring of all nonwhite voters is merely regrettable side effect. Any suggestion otherwise is just a mean, mean mean, thing to say. Mean. It is so ordered"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

VitalSigns posted:

I think you've just described Chief Justice John Roberts' legal theory.

"You can't prove the Voter ID and Paper Bag Test Act is motivated by racial animus, despite the dissent's racist and hurtful arguments. This court finds that the Act is merely meant to safeguard the electoral process by disenfranchising Democracts, which is a totally fine thing to do, so we must assume that the barring of all nonwhite voters is merely regrettable side effect. Any suggestion otherwise is just a mean, mean mean, thing to say. Mean. It is so ordered"

To me it's a microcosm of the shittiest parts of the GOP today. It's a big group of intellectually soft and lazy bigots and terrible people who grew up in an era where their type ruled everything, and got away clean with bigotry, sexism, racism and homophobia as long as they adhered to certain codewords and left the breathless hate to the fringe. Now they're openly wondering why they even need to do that (partly because the fringe is mainstream now).

They want the cake, they want to eat it, and they want it to be a crime for someone to say they ate it. And there's next to zero self-consciousness of the fact that we can all see what's going on. You might as well be the guy with Tennis Elbow telling me how that means you have a legit need for 150 dollars worth of Medical Marijuana every week.

No one buys that your (now openly and widely stated) desire to say "friend of the family" whenever you want stems from some heartfelt desire to walk hand and hand into the brave new world where everyone is equal and we all laugh about the quaint old names we used to try to hurt eachother with over BBQ.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 6, 2014

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

poor nose posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up about who Rush fucks and start talking about how he was trying to skirt around the Rob Ford Rehab facility story. I enjoyed because it almost seemed like Rush was projecting himself onto another Fat White personality who the media wouldn't give a break too.

El Rushbo said Ford was going to get help for alcholism because he does drugs when he drinks and it was almost like you could hear Limbaughs thoughts of "poo poo why didn't I think of that."
I thought the image he used for this story was pretty amusing :laugh:

quote:

RUSH: Did you know, folks, that the mayor of Toronto was turned away from the United States? This is Rob Ford. The mayor of Toronto finally admitted that he might have a problem. He said he did drugs when he drank, so he had to stop drinking. Anyway, they finally got to him. He said he had a problem, and was gonna go to rehab.

So he got on a jet in Toronto at Buttonville Municipal Airport near his house on May 1st. He flew to Chicago, landed in Chicago, but was turned away by ICE -- they wouldn't let him in the country -- proving it can be done. It can be done, folks. It can be done.
The "mayor announced he was taking a leave of absence and pausing his re-election campaign to enter rehab last Wednesday.

"He was last seen boarding a private plane bound for Chicago. But US Customs officials say he never formally entered the country, withdrew his application and turned the plane around. Neither his brother Doug Ford or lawyer Dennis Morris will say where exactly he is, but maintain he is in rehab as promised." But it's not that. He "never formally entered the country." He was turned away, according to Canada's journalists at the Globe & Mail.

Again, it's the same source as this global warming fearmongering on the little children. Just to reiterate, the experts, the hoaxers are telling kids, college students, whatever: If you're suffering from this trauma, the way to fix it is become a climate change activist. See how this works?
It's massive recruiting by liberals on the basis of fear and intimidation, lies, fraud, all of this.

So why was this guy turned away at the border? Why would we turn away the mayor of Toronto, who apparently wanted to go to a rehab center here in the United States? His brother and his lawyer won't say exactly where he is. "'He voluntarily withdrew his application to enter the USA,' Ray Norton, Canada's Consul General in Chicago, told the Globe and Mail."

Now, "voluntarily withdrew" after having probably being told something or other. It proves it can be done, folks. We can keep people out of the country! Why we would want to keep the mayor of Toronto out, I don't know. Maybe because of his condition he's violating some laws. I don't know.

But I just wanted to pass this on 'cause I just found out about this. Officials say "foreigners attempting to enter the US can be barred on the grounds of 'criminality, security reasons and documentations, among dozens of others,'" but you gotta wonder: Why didn't he ask for political amnesty or some such thing like that?
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/06/toronto_mayor_rob_ford_turned_away_from_united_states_proving_it_can_be_done
Forget about that fact that Obama has deported more illegals than Bush ever did! Like that bolded snipe at global warming? He spent about an hour on this very topic!

quote:

RUSH: McLean, Virginia. Mike, welcome to the program, sir. Great to have you.

CALLER: Hi, Mr. Limbaugh. Last time I called you mocked me as part of the liberal castrati, and I guess I still haven't learned -- learned my lesson because I'm still struck by the implausible and self-contradictory nature of your arguments. I've got two examples from what you've talked about today. On climate change, I don't know how all these scientists from the National Academy of Sciences -- people that brought us cell phones and the Internet and sent us into space -- can be engaged in a 25-year plot to take away our freedom. I mean, if they're that smart, you would have thought they would have changed the topic by now. But I called to talk about --

RUSH: I'll be glad to explain it to you if you like.

CALLER: I'd love for you to address it later on, but I really wanted to talk about your first story today, about the, uh --

RUSH: It's about scoring money from government, number one. It's about getting money from government, and it's about growing government and making it bigger so you could bleed off of it and get rich.

CALLER: That's what everybody wants. You know, all liberals want to be controlled by our government.

RUSH: Well, the people you're talking about -- the scientists and all these so-called people joining this "consensus" that exists out there -- that's how they get their living.

CALLER: (snickering) By inventing cell phones and sending us into space and bringing us the Internet and stuff like that? They've increased more freedom... They've given us more freedom, they've given us more independence from the government than they ever could take away from us.

RUSH: Inventing the cell phone doesn't mean that they are not little skulls full of mush when it comes to political matters --

CALLER: That's exactly right! That's exactly right!

RUSH: -- and are malleable and bendable and shapable and formable and flakable.

CALLER: You're exactly right on that. They are not political. They just do the science and tell us what the science says. You are the one that's political. Al Gore says it best. You got all these --

RUSH: There isn't any science in it! That's the whole point. It's nothing but computer models. There's no science in it.

CALLER: Let's change the subject to --

RUSH: You know what? Why do you not reject it? Why do you automatically accept it? Just because you're told it's a bunch of scientists, people that invented cell phones?

CALLER: Because I went to engineering school and I know what the scientific method is. I know what peer review is.
[:laugh:]

RUSH: They can't prove it!

CALLER: It's that 25 years there's not a huge plot.

RUSH: There's no proof to it, Mike. It's all computer models. There's no empirical evidence of anything they're saying. That's why it's always 10 years from now, 25 years from now, a hundred years from now, 'cause it isn't happening now, Mike.

CALLER: That's what the talk radio show hosts tell us. That's what you tell us.

RUSH: (sigh) No, it's what it is.

CALLER: The scientists say there's all sorts of proof. The scientists are running around --

RUSH: It's what is.

CALLER: And they are not political! You are, Rush.

RUSH: Did climate scientists invent the cell phone? I'm still confused about that.

CALLER: They -- they... Uh, what I'm saying is these are people, members of the National Academy of Sciences. Uh, uh, you don't get there unless you're --

RUSH: They are corruptible political bunch, just like the IPCC is a political bunch! Everything you're citing has a political agenda to it, and you're part of it. Why don't you just admit it? You're having great success with it.

CALLER: (unintelligible)

RUSH: If you are an avowed member of the New Castrati, that means you're a liberal, and you are part of the agenda, and you're advancing it by hook and by crook. Why don't you admit what it is?

CALLER: Rush, I went to engineering school and I went to law school. So I do both. I'm... I've done science, and I've done politics.

RUSH: Well, tell me something. Why is global warming political? Why is it a political issue at all?

CALLER: Because Republicans are intent on protecting the fossil industry (sic) because ExxonMobil just signed a deal worth $900 billion.

RUSH: Protecting the "fossil industry"?

CALLER: ExxonMobil has a deal worth $900 billion with Russia to drill for oil in the arctic -- $900 billion!

RUSH: So?

CALLER: You know what? The sequester was $900 billion.

RUSH: So what? We're gonna need oil, Mike! There is no replacement for it. There's not one drop of anything we can replace it with.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Did you hear? "They're drilling for oil. The Russians are partnering with Exxon, they're drilling for oil in the arctic." So what? That's where it happens to be. There isn't anything, we're not close to replacing oil, not even close. It's going to be, I don't know how long it's gonna be, but to these people oil is the modern evil. There's no thinking. All of this is political. They never address the fact that there's no evidence. They never address that the only concern for any of this is predictions in computer models.

Let me ask you, if you're watching TV tonight, and your local weatherman told you what the weather was gonna be 25 years from today, would you believe it? No! So why do people believe what a computer model says is gonna be the climate all over the world 25 years from now? And the only way some people could be forced to believe it is if they politicize it and tailor the message to already existing political sensibilities and opinions. And then get people in groups that liberals happen to be approve of, like world bodies like the UN or the IPCC or the National Academy of Sciences, every corrupt liberal interest group you can, get them endorsing the idea, and bammo, you turn it into a political issue, and it is unequivocally true.

You leave it as a science issue and it doesn't exist, it falls apart, there isn't any evidence whatsoever. And of course my big question that nobody, no liberal has ever called here to try to explain to me, and the invitation's there every day, would somebody please explain to me how you know that the climate at this moment is what is natural, normal, was intended by God, or Gaia, or whoever. If you can explain that to me, then maybe we can talk about why any change from what it is now is a crisis. But why, who says, how do you know that whatever the climate's doing now is what is normal? Why is this the baseline?

And then after you explain that, you can tell me what caused any of the ice ages. And then after you explain that to me, you can then tell me why those ice ages ended, permitting us to live.
And then after you explain that, I'll give you something else I'm confused about that you can explain. The point is, you can't, none of you advocates of global warming can explain any of this. You cannot answer any of these questions. So it has to be framed as a political issue, and you have to use the usual liberal ingredients of fearmongering and scare tactics and fascism and totalitarianism and force people, all your buddies, to accept the premise of something that isn't happening.

You start young. You infect and infiltrate the minds of young, impressionable kids. You get them scared to death that their world isn't gonna exist by the time they become adults. You got your own little army out there advancing your political agenda, and we're not even talking about science, and that's all this is. Next you can tell me why in 1979 Newsweek's cover was The Coming Ice Age, and then five years later all of a sudden I'm watching This Week with David Brinkley, and to hell with the ice age, now we're talking global warming, in 1985. We only had 20 years back then in 1985. We only had 20 years. If we didn't deal with it the next 20 years, which have come and gone, we weren't gonna be here.

You can explain to me how in 1988, I was told we only had 10 years to save the oceans. Last I looked, they're still there, and there's an airplane in 'em that CNN can't find. So everything that you people on the left have been saying politically or quasi-scientifically about this is just a bunch of BS, un-provable, and only survivable if you turn it into a political issue, as you have, and tailor it to fit your already prejudiced, bigoted notions of your enemies: corporations, conservatives, religions. Anything that has to do with God cancels out everything you believe, right? So you gotta get rid of that, too.

It just burns me up that they've got so many young people scared to death that the world's not gonna be here when they grow up. They're traumatized over this, and they're using fraudulent pictures of polar bears on little pieces of ice that were just made up, which has been proven, by the way, uncovered.

Look, I'm gonna stick with the phones here 'cause if I don't get back to the phones I could do the rest of this program and tomorrow's with what I just have here. I told you it might be awhile before we get to your favorite news story. So stick with the phones to be polite to people who've called at my invitation, they're holding on.
I advise Rush Limbaugh to check this week's episode of Cosmos, it explains Earth's various climates quite well :eng101: He will not do this

quote:

RUSH: Fred in Memphis. It's great to have you, sir. Hello.

CALLER: Hello, Rush. Long-term listener. It really is a pleasure to speak with you. How are you?

RUSH: Very well, sir. Thank you.

CALLER: Good, good. I'm calling in response to the fellow who called about 20 minutes ago who claimed to be an engineer and familiar with the scientific method.

RUSH: Well, the scary thing is he may well be. That's the scary thing. He might be an engineer.

CALLER: I'm not disputing it. But if he truly is, my background is electrical engineering, and if he's familiar with the scientific method there are two issues that I think need to be brought up. First of all, is the accuracy of the data set that they're working from.
I'm not talking about in the recent years in the environmental changes or the slight changes associated with an individual temperature measurement.

I'm talking about the measuring devices themselves and their ability to be read accurately. Now, that may seem a little be esoteric to the nontechnical, so I'm not gonna get into all that gibberish. But going back to the days before digital readouts, you actually had to measure temperature off of an analog gauge.

You've got inaccuracy in the gauge itself, and on top of that you have inaccuracy in taking the actual readings by eye. If you don't have a consistent, reliable data set, then you have a handicap to begin with. So that's the first issue. But again, that may seem too nontechnical.

RUSH: They don't even deal with it. See, this is where we're getting caught. You're trying to refute something that's not even scientific. I get into arguments with scientists all the time. "You're dealing with a political issue, and you're trying to refute these people on the basis of their science. They're not using science."

They would say what you just said. They would say, "It doesn't matter. Our models are telling us that in the next 15 or 20 years, X will happen. We can't afford not to trust it!" It's a total, total political issue, and until our side starts dealing with them politically we're gonna be playing on their turf if we try to refute them scientifically.

That's just my humble opinion.

quote:

RUSH: Bill in Huntsville, Alabama, you're next. It's great to have you with us, sir. Hello.

CALLER: Hey. Thank you, Rush.

RUSH: You bet.

CALLER: First I want to say how much I enjoy your show. Never called in, but I miss your old TV show. I used to watch it when I was in college and we got a lot of laughs out of it.

RUSH: Thank you. That was the intention. That's great.

CALLER: It was fun. I hated to see it go, and it's better than a lot of TV that's on today, let me tell you. It probably took a lot of time. But, listen, I'm calling in response to this guy who called about global warming and, you know, he really acted like he knew a lot about it because he has a master's degree in engineering. It kind of irked me the wrong way. I heard him use a couple of terms, and I guess I was rushing to your defense even though you don't need it. And let me preface this by saying I'm not a scientist. I'm a financial planner. I meet a lot of interesting people. I was at lunch with three scientists, all three of them used to work for NASA. They went in and started doing their own thing, so they're pretty smart guys, and one of them came up with this hurricane prediction model, and the topic of global warming came up.

And I said, "Well, hey, I've been reading that global warming has a lot to do with hurricanes in the newspaper, no increased hurricane activity's tied to global warming." And these guys start laughing about it. And, now, these are scientists, you know, smarter than I am. I don't know anything about it, but they start laughing about it, and they said, "Bill, no, we don't believe in global warming." They said, "But if you want to get a two, three, five, 10 million-dollar government grant, you believe in global warming."

RUSH: Bingo.

CALLER: They said just follow the money.

RUSH: Bingo.

CALLER: But they laugh about it, you know, and I hear these people talking about there's no money in it, and I'm thinking, you know, it is, it's just whatever government --

RUSH: Let me tell you something. This is another thing, Bill. After Hurricane Katrina, the global warming scaremonger crowd predicted Katrinas all the time now. Every hurricane was gonna be one, and it was all because of global warming. And I remember the guy, Max, whatever his name was, couldn't remember his last name, running the hurricane center kept saying, "No, it has nothing to do with global warming." And nobody was paying any attention to him 'cause he wasn't following suit.

There haven't been any major hurricanes in two or three years that impacted the continental United States. Every prediction they make blows up in their faces. When Algore shows up someplace to talk about how hot it's getting, it snows. It's just incredible. Everything blows up on 'em, and yet they just keep going because it's the way a lot of them are earning their living. It's how Algore got rich. It's how a lot of people are getting rich.

CALLER: This really smart guy, he's back-tested his hurricane prediction model and he's like 98% accurate over the last -- I don't know however old the satellite data is, and like I say, they just laughed about it. And I did want to respond, too, because I heard you talking about what news reports. And there again, me being a financial planner, you're probably aware, you're a knowledgeable guy, but what they need to report is the US is in danger of losing their world reserve currency status and also this AIDS wave coming on us. But anyway, I enjoy listening to your show, and thanks for taking my call.

RUSH: Now, wait, before you go, Bill, what did these guys -- one of them had hurricane forecasting models? Is that what you said he did?

CALLER: Yeah. He sure does.

RUSH: Did he have one for this summer? What's it gonna be?

CALLER: I'd have to ask him. But this guy is --

RUSH: See, that's the difference. If you lived in Florida, you would have asked. You got a guy predicting hurricanes, you would have asked him.

CALLER: That's how I met the guy. He came to me trying to buy some futures on commodities and, you know, trying to make some money off it but, yeah, he's one of the smartest guys I've ever met.

RUSH: Okay, so you had lunch with three scientists today, none of whom believe in global warming. You tell the left that, "Well, they don't count, 'cause the consensus is settled, and the science is settled." And of course that's not even possible. It was Max Mayfield that used to run the National Hurricane Center. During Katrina, after Katrina, even up to congressional hearings, poor Max (imitating Mayfield), "I'm sorry to tell you, but global warming, there's no evidence, has anything to do with this hurricane or any other."

"What about sea surface temperatures, Max?"

"No evidence whatsoever." And he just got blown off, and then he quit. He hasn't been heard from. Probably over in Naples wherever they're trying to figure out the Asian carp situation.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/06/lib_caller_spouts_bs_anti_oil_talking_points

Actually half of his program was climate science denial

quote:

RUSH: In the meantime, I have a huge, huge See, I Told You So opportunity here combined with the latest pivot and announcement from the White House yesterday. They've dropped everything now. They've dropped Benghazi, they've dropped everything, and they're moving forward (once again) on climate change/global warming.

There is a desire on the part the Democrat Party and the left for the president to once again assume dictatorial-like powers to do what must be done in the area of climate change and global warming to accomplish whatever it is they want to accomplish. It's not "saving the planet." That is not what global warming is about.

They want you to think it is, but it is not.

But the See, I Told You So is a story here from Canada, the Globe & Mail. It's a column. It's "part of a series..." Get this. It "is part of a series examining the health repercussions for Canadians of a changing climate." This is by Gayle MacDonald, and the headline of this piece: "Youth Anxiety on the Rise Amid Changing Climate."

This is entirely relevant in view of Obama's new ratcheting up of the hysteria starting yesterday with John Podesta, which I will also explain why he's there. I predicted this. Another See, I Told You So coming up. But, in a nutshell, what the story says is the climate hoaxers and their fearmongering is driving people, especially children, crazy.

The advice from these experts on how to keep them from being driven crazy by climate change is to "get involved," climate change activism.

That's what this piece is.

I will have more details.
Is that every bit as crazy as it sounds? Yes it is!

quote:

RUSH: Let us review how the left has attempted to corral people to agree with them and sweep them up into this political movement that's called climate change. It used to be called global warming, and then when the warming stopped they had to change the term. The main technique that they've used is fear combined with guilt, and it has worked well. They have approached people, not directly, but in the form of just everyday news stories, blog posts, movies, cartoon shows, television shows.

The idea is that humanity's destroying the planet, and not just any humanity, but highly advanced, economically highly advanced humanity is destroying the planet, primarily the United States. Capitalism, where people's progress, economic progress, is destructive to the planet. This has been the message. We're destroying it, greenhouse gases, with the giant cars and trucks that we drive and all the airplanes that we're flying and all the miles we're flying and all the fossil fuels that we're burning. We've got 10 years or 20 years or 30 years or 50 years or a hundred years, depending on the report, to fix it or we're all gonna die.

And then the polar bears are dying, and they put up fraudulent pictures of polar bears on little ice floes, three square feet, claiming that's all that's left for Little Timmy the polar bear. And of course giant, total, fraudulent lies, all designed to impose guilt and fear, even among kids. I mean, Ted Turner was one of the early entrances into this with his cartoon series on Saturday morning called Captain Planet. It was about a guy saving the world from evil corporate CEOs who were destroying it simply by running their businesses. Capitalists, Republicans, conservatives didn't care what they destroyed, didn't care who they destroyed. All they wanted was to get rich and make everybody else poorer.

Remember we talked about the student body at Rutgers demanding that Condi Rice be removed as the commencement speaker. I was pointing out that when 9/11 happened, those students now were between six and 10 years old. And I asked you to consider, what has been their world from age six, 10, the moment they started paying attention. It's been nothing but fear, panic. It's been negative this, negative that. "America sucks" has been what they've grown up with. America's destroying the planet. America is killing the polar bears. America is immoral and unjust in Iraq, America! They've grown up believing that their country is immoral and unjust and unfair.

And the climate change argument was part of it, and the kids especially. How many of you are parents whose kids would come home from school, "Mommy, mommy, you've gotta stop driving the car that you're driving. It's killing the polar bears, mommy, mommy." How many of you parents had that happen to you? Raise your hands. It's a lot of you. And if it wasn't your kids, it was the news that made you feel guilty, but there was always redemption for you. You know what the redemption was? Vote Democrat. Isn't it amazing? You could vote Democrat and agree for the government to get bigger and agree for taxes to go up, and that's how you could be absolved of your sin and your part, the role you played in destroying the world.

You can now save the world if and only if you do the following. And it all meant vote Democrat, support bigger government, support Obamacare, support tax increases. That was your redemption. Kids were literally scared to death. Kids, young kids, you tell 'em the polar bears are dying, tell 'em their world is ending, I mean, kids dream incredibly positive things if you let them, but they're also very susceptible to pessimism. And if that's all a young kid grows up with, what in the world, by the time the kid gets to college, is it gonna be?

So this story in the Canada Globe & Mail is about the fear and anxiety among the youths on the rise of climate change and the impact. And in this story by Gayle MacDonald, again, the advice from the experts on how to keep from being driven crazy by climate change hysteria is not to ignore it; the advice is not to accept and believe you've been hoaxed. Oh, no, no, no. You know what you're supposed to do to deal with your fear and anxiety? Get involved in climate change activism. That's the way they will ensure that you vote Democrat. That's the way they will insure that you end up supporting bigger government.
There isn't any man-made disaster occurring out there. It can't be proved. I'm gonna tell you again if I have to shout from the rooftops. There is no empirical data of climate change. It's all computer model prediction, folks. There isn't any empirical evidence of it. It's all fearmongering brought on by predictions, computer models. There hasn't been any warming in the last, what is it, 17 years now. The White House, the Washington Post today says that the latest reason why Obama's so concerned about climate change is that he saw a picture, two satellite photos, actually, that he was shown, California and Nevada, which show how they're suffering from the current drought. And that's, "Oh, man, we got global warming."

Now, wait a minute. See, I remember all this stuff. The original global warming predictions were for massive floods, sea levels rising. They weren't gonna be any droughts. So they take whatever extreme of the day is happening and they assign it to climate change. Climate change is a perfect example of something that has been manufactured, that causes people trauma and fear and gives them something that they gotta get involved in to save the country and to save the world. And of course the way you do it, you vote Democrat, you believe in liberalism, you support expanding government, near totalitarian type leaders and so forth, agree to pay higher taxes, drive junk cars, and you are now saving the planet.

That's how you feel good about yourself. That's how your life has meaning. It's all made up. It's all manufactured. It's just one of many examples of what I think is traumas we've had to invent or to tell ourselves we have challenges. And to excuse our failures, by the way, too.

That's another reason why you need to invent all these traumas is to excuse failure, 'cause it's never your fault. So now I have proof of it here in this Globe & Mail story from Canada. Let me read from the bottom of the story. "Environmental activist and author Kenneth Worthy ... advises that we realize every generation has had great challenges.

"'Our forebears had the First World War and the Second World War. Another generation dealt with the Cold War...'" No, one generation dealt with both wars and the Great Depression, three of 'em: The Great Depression, World War II, Cold War. Throw Korea in there. One generation dealt with all three of those.

"Now the greatest threat to this generation -- young and old -- is the climate problem, which involves a lot of volatility, and a lot of change.' He hopes we can face it as a generation, together. 'We have to find the flexibility, the courage and the determination to stand up to that crisis -- collectively, not just as individuals. Like our parents did before us.'"

What a laugh.

Comparing something that only exists in computer models to wars? You've got to believe me. I am not making that up.
There isn't any evidence of any of this. It's pure fearmongering. Never mind what this is doing to the minds of children. It's scaring of hell out of little kids. They're making them think that we are killing their parents and killing polar bears and all this!

They really believe this, and now they're traumatized.
Do those fancy COMPUTER MODELS factor in the cost of all the regional instabilities that will erupt from resource scarcities? No? That's what I thought. :smuggo:

quote:

RUSH: Now, one more thing about our previous caller, Kevin from Attica, Ohio. He made a really good point, folks. Do you remember, you Baby Boomers out there, when we were kids, there were two things, really, that I recall. The nuclear -- can I admit something to you? I never got afraid of it. I thought people with the bomb shelters were, you know, kind of, "Come on." Especially ducking. I was always a smart aleck malcontent and I remember telling teachers, "Are you really telling me if a nuclear bomb goes off that this desk is gonna protect me?" But still we had to do the drills and get under. I was never afraid of it.

I was afraid of polio. That was the other one that constantly was on television. The March of Dimes. The pictures of kids living inside iron lungs. If you're not old enough to remember that, that won't mean anything to you. But Kevin made a good point, because even the things as kids we were afraid of, we had trust that our parents are gonna protect us or that the adults around us were going to protect us. And I think that's missing. Those people won wars. My dad and his friends, they won wars. They were rough and tough. They were no nonsense. They were gonna protect us, and I don't think that's the case.

I think more people think the government's gonna protect 'em than their own parents are. Not everybody, but I think it's an increasing number of people who think the government's a great protector. Half of 'em don't even have two parents. And that's the thing. The government's doing both. The government is the agent of fear, and then offering the protection if you acquiesce to what the government wants, in this case Democrats. I mean, that's the bottom line. I thought he made a good point even though Snerdley was besmirching the guy to me off the air here.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/06/global_warming_hoaxers_to_traumatized_kids_cure_climate_anxiety_with_activism
Was Rush Limbaugh in reality making GBS threads his pants like everyone else at the prospect of nuclear war with the Soviets? I'll let you decide.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That's a hilarious bunch of caller plants and climate change denialism bullshit (I liked the part where the guy was getting to the point that climate change was "political" because Republicans made it that way to protect their industry kickbacks and that yes, there are alternatives to oil, and Rush just cut the transcript), but I'm still stuck on how the gently caress this happened in the first paragraph:

quote:

"He was last seen boarding a private plane bound for Chicago. But US Customs officials say he never formally entered the country, withdrew his application and turned the plane around. Neither his brother Doug Ford or lawyer Dennis Morris will say where exactly he is, but maintain he is in rehab as promised." But it's not that. He "never formally entered the country." He was turned away, according to Canada's journalists at the Globe & Mail.

Again, it's the same source as this global warming fearmongering on the little children. Just to reiterate, the experts, the hoaxers are telling kids, college students, whatever: If you're suffering from this trauma, the way to fix it is become a climate change activist. See how this works?
:psyduck:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Climate Scientists are just in it for the money! Their insatiable greed drives them to bash noble public servants like oil executives!" will never be not hilarious to me.

NSF research grants, that's where the big money's at!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Yeah the logic in that section was pretty abstract. He somehow gets proof of his conspiracy based on a couple of vague lawerly statements that say absolutely nothing about this climate change blacklist or whatever the gently caress he's going on about.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Rush has crossed the line. What the gently caress is wrong with Captain Planet??

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

Rush has crossed the line. What the gently caress is wrong with Captain Planet??

It was terrible and had episodes like the one where they praised One Child Policy type things. Ted Turner is a legitimate crazy human being.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I have a drinking problem but I already care about climate change. Is there any hope for me, in Obama's America?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:drat:
Well played!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Everything.

It had likely the worst written villains of all times.

It's one thing if you're a greedy rear end in a top hat businessman polluting the local river because you're trying to make a profit. That makes sense and is something that happens in the real world.

Quite the other to have a person that seemingly gets off from it, and it actually causes you to lose money in the process. I can't recall the article, but it was pretty much a group of economists mocking the entire idea.

I seem to recall Ted Turner cancelling Swat Kats in favorite of it, but my memory could be fuzzy about it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FuzzySkinner posted:

I seem to recall Ted Turner cancelling Swat Kats in favorite of it, but my memory could be fuzzy about it.

My inner ten-year-old just died inside.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's one thing if you're a greedy rear end in a top hat businessman polluting the local river because you're trying to make a profit. That makes sense and is something that happens in the real world.

Quite the other to have a person that seemingly gets off from it, and it actually causes you to lose money in the process.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

what the gently caress is wrong with you

(not you, VitalSigns)

That's someone else's tire fire and not one that he actually made himself, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Captain Planet ran 1990-1996, Swat Kats only ran in 1993.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Everything.

It had likely the worst written villains of all times.

Quite the other to have a person that seemingly gets off from it, and it actually causes you to lose money in the process. I can't recall the article, but it was pretty much a group of economists mocking the entire idea.

All I can picture for this now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Install Windows posted:

Captain Planet ran 1990-1996, Swat Kats only ran in 1993.

I think the line was something to the effect of him going "We don't run violent cartoons like that ONE SHOW on our TV Network".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

StandardVC10 posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

(not you, VitalSigns)

That's someone else's tire fire and not one that he actually made himself, right?
Treacher is this really, really low-grade right wing troll who works for (who else?) Tucker Carlson's Daily Caller. He loves to Google his name and show up in blog comment sections to defend himself. He once went for 24 hours straight responding to people on one liberal blog post (at Balloon Juice or Sadly No or somewhere like that). It was amazing. Most of his responses are literally "I know you are but what am I?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OAquinas posted:

All I can picture for this now.

All you should need to know about Turner is he did multiple episodes about how overpopulation is dooming us all and you know gee whiz maybe the One Child policy is smart to do, and he has like five or six kids of his own. He's basically the cartoon villain he thinks literally everyone but him is, the poors and minorities can be controlled but it's cool for him to do as he needs.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So, I think at this point I'm supposed to raise my fists upward, shake them at the sky and yell with liberal fury, "drat YOU EDGY TWITTER TROLL"?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
That's not conservative at all. Those are perfectly good tires that could go towards the trans-border tire field, which could be protecting us from illegals and bolstering our dwindling snake habitat.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
A Song of ICE and Tire remains one of the funniest things ever, thank you for reminding me of it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah the logic in that section was pretty abstract. He somehow gets proof of his conspiracy based on a couple of vague lawerly statements that say absolutely nothing about this climate change blacklist or whatever the gently caress he's going on about.
I still don't see how he connected those thoughts, but he's almost asssuredly preemptively sowing doubt about the new report that came out re-re-re-re-confirming that climate change is happening and gasp, it's hurting ruul Amuricans. You know, since the last four reports by the world's best published scientists weren't enough, we had to do our own investigation.

I'm still curious what exact ulterior motive Rush and his cronies think the left has for promoting environmental and resource conservation.

Of course the right has a reason (monetary kickbacks, campaign donors from destructive companies, cronyism, etc.) but they never can explain how "hey let's maybe let our grandkids know what fishing is" is a leftist controversial political issue.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

quote:

RUSH: Let me tell you something. This is another thing, Bill. After Hurricane Katrina, the global warming scaremonger crowd predicted Katrinas all the time now. Every hurricane was gonna be one, and it was all because of global warming. And I remember the guy, Max, whatever his name was, couldn't remember his last name, running the hurricane center kept saying, "No, it has nothing to do with global warming." And nobody was paying any attention to him 'cause he wasn't following suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

He must've forgot about the one that flooded lower Manhattan and triggered a total re-zoning of the East coast shoreline?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eggyolk posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

He must've forgot about the one that flooded lower Manhattan and triggered a total re-zoning of the East coast shoreline?

In fairness that's more due to a cycle that predates a lot of the global warming stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Multidecadal_Oscillation

Not that he'd know that, of course.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well, Captain Planet is no worse than christian indoctrination kids shows at least. Yeah Ted Turner is nuts but so is literally associated with the right

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not sad to have missed the bulk of Limbaugh sex chat, but reading how abrasive he sounds in the transcripts, even when someone is agreeing with him, really makes me wonder about his failed marriages. I'm curious if there's more to any of them than "I thought marrying a fat disgusting rear end in a top hat wouldn't be so bad since at least he's still a millionaire, but I didn't take into account how much of a fat disgusting rear end in a top hat someone could be." I'm not even talking about partisan politics here, he just seems like he'd be a genuinely unpleasant person to be around even if you agreed with him on everything.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not sad to have missed the bulk of Limbaugh sex chat, but reading how abrasive he sounds in the transcripts, even when someone is agreeing with him, really makes me wonder about his failed marriages. I'm curious if there's more to any of them than "I thought marrying a fat disgusting rear end in a top hat wouldn't be so bad since at least he's still a millionaire, but I didn't take into account how much of a fat disgusting rear end in a top hat someone could be." I'm not even talking about partisan politics here, he just seems like he'd be a genuinely unpleasant person to be around even if you agreed with him on everything.

I've had the misfortune of having a friend who was an unrepentant addict; to be more specific, an eating disorder. He reminds me of Limbaugh in his demeanor and appearance more than anybody else I've ever met. I think this is the source of his popularity too, in that he epitomizes the current state of modern greed and corruption, for the demographic that used to be called the "me generation." He's a super-wealthy addict who can afford to stay that way the rest of his life, whose daily existence is literally a struggle to rationalize his own behavior in the face of overwhelming, obvious facts and evidence, as obvious as the fact that can't see his own dick when he urinates because of his bloated gut. That buzzword that went around a few weeks ago, "affluenza" couldn't have a better face than Rush Limbaugh.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SnakePlissken posted:

That buzzword that went around a few weeks ago, "affluenza" couldn't have a better face than Rush Limbaugh.

Maybe you're just leaving out the obvious but you know that "Affluenza" has an all but literal poster child right? The 1%er kid, Ethan Couch, who killed 4 people while drunk driving whose lawyers actually used that term (and the idea that his incredible richness made him unaware of the consequences of his actions) to get his sentence down to 10 years probation and a harrowing stint in a sunny resort rehab spa?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So Bill Nye is at it again, apparently, smacking around Sippy Cupp on Crossfire? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06v1dQj9foU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

There's no evidence that he ever talks (or listens) any other way than he does on his show. He is Rush, at all times. Well, on his show he probably doesn't handcuff you to his bedpost and demand that you eat cottage cheese from his mammary creases.