Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I predict some delicious drama about ownership of the IP, especially if he gets "developers" from outside the US where authors have moral rights that they can't waive.

I think he's basically begging to have people deemed employees, like the AOL case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Who the hell wants a worthless IP?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

returnh posted:

Somebody get a "Lore Writer" position and start submitting Zybourne Clock references.

On it. Wish me luck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xZAOx posted:

Who the hell wants a worthless IP?

I mean ownership of the models, textures, code that these suckers send in for free, not the Grande Universe of Adventure they're set in.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Node posted:

LFDevelopers, PST THX

So if I sub to the forums and gain access to the developer idea forum or whatever the gently caress, does that mean I am the boss of all these volunteers?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Subjunctive posted:

I mean ownership of the models, textures, code that these suckers send in for free, not the Grande Universe of Adventure they're set in.

Wasn't most of it just terrible unity defaults and then some dungeon that a completely uninterested sounding guy did during a 2 hour twitch session/interview? I remember everyone was laughing at the stock skeleton and SLASH that was prominently displayed for the entirety of the kickstarter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Wasn't most of it just terrible unity defaults and then some dungeon that a completely uninterested sounding guy did during a 2 hour twitch session/interview? I remember everyone was laughing at the stock skeleton and SLASH that was prominently displayed for the entirety of the kickstarter.

Right, but they're asked for more people to give them stuff for free now, right? Developers starting as volunteers? Assuming anyone falls for it (I'd bet on it), they'll be giving Brad IP, and the fallout of *that* set of future transactions is what I'm talking about.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gildiss posted:

Guys, I just got leaked pre alpha pics

work in progress of first model, male troll playable race

Dobby has no master except steroids! Dobby is a free elf!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jesus Christ, I hope any new developers even remotely interested in working towards a real career are ignoring this poo poo. There are tons of more worthy projects, or you could even work on your own. Anything but developing free assets for a guy who is basically a known scammer and won't offer anything but the barest hint of the possibility of a job at the prospect. Get hosed, McQuaid, you shitstain.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
From the moment I saw their Kickstarter page I knew this was going to implode beautifully. Same happened with OUYA too! It seems I have the gift of spotting lovely Kickstarters. :clint:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to figure out a way to take short positions on Kickstarters, so I can retire to a space station powered by tears.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If you didn't work on a popular video game in the 90s or early 2000s then you ain't poo poo.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Evil Sagan posted:

Jesus Christ, I hope any new developers even remotely interested in working towards a real career are ignoring this poo poo. There are tons of more worthy projects, or you could even work on your own. Anything but developing free assets for a guy who is basically a known scammer and won't offer anything but the barest hint of the possibility of a job at the prospect. Get hosed, McQuaid, you shitstain.

I wonder if he's going to give any of the new team stock options. Cause everyone wants stock options in brads company.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When he realized he was out of money he invited everyone out back for a BBQ. Once everyone was outside of the garage he hit the garage door button and said that they were all fired.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

When he realized he was out of money he invited everyone out back for a BBQ. Once everyone was outside of the garage he hit the garage door button and said that they were all fired.

I suppose that could be considered an improvement, since in that scenario he would've been there this time for the BBQ firing ... instead of hiding behind the "I couldn't bear to face them" excuse and letting someone else fire his team for him.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Midrena posted:

I suppose that could be considered an improvement, since in that scenario he would've been there this time for the BBQ firing ... instead of hiding behind the "I couldn't bear to face them" excuse and letting someone else fire his team for him.

More likely he told everyone to go into the backyard for a BBQ then just closed the garage door and sat there hoping they would all leave.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
One good thing came of all this. He can absolutely never attach his name to anything ever again and expect to ride on that alone. Not that it had much weight before, but any small credibility to his name that was left is completely gone.

Hesiod
Apr 17, 2003

G Prestige posted:

One good thing came of all this. He can absolutely never attach his name to anything ever again and expect to ride on that alone. Not that it had much weight before, but any small credibility to his name that was left is completely gone.

I'm shocked people still give credence to the idea of anyone not named Sid Meiers being printed on a box having any weight with anyone. I'd say nobody's that dumb but SC and every other Kickstarter in the past 4 years keep proving me wrong. Having made a game 15 years ago (more for some of these people and some people have really short memories about WHY these people aren't making games anymore) means precisely gently caress all today.

Hesiod fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 7, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I thought people knew at the start of this project his name wasn't worth anything but then again we got some true believers here.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

I thought people knew at the start of this project his name wasn't worth anything but then again we got some true believers here.

If you dig through the first days/weeks of this thread, when he was posting, people were falling all over themselves to genuflect before the great Aradune, savior of the MMO. There was at least one person that was put on probation/banned for raising the warning flag of "hey maybe we shouldn't be giving money to a drug addict", but I'm not gonna waste the time to go looking for it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I was asking him what proof he could give us that he had learnt from the mistakes of Vanguard and how he would put into place safeguards to ensure it didn't happen again. But he ignored me so I started commenting on how other developers were saying not that he didn't have a drug problem, but we should give him space to let him sort himself out. Thats when people started asking if he was still stealing pills out of other peoples desks. At least I didn't get probated for it.

edit: Looking back at my posts I was actually saying 'don't give money to brad because he is completely unreliable' and being told 'no he is a cool dude and will give us a new everquest'

Byolante fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 7, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I turned a new leaf thanks to this thread.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

biznatchio posted:

If you dig through the first days/weeks of this thread, when he was posting, people were falling all over themselves to genuflect before the great Aradune, savior of the MMO. There was at least one person that was put on probation/banned for raising the warning flag of "hey maybe we shouldn't be giving money to a drug addict", but I'm not gonna waste the time to go looking for it.

First page someone raises a flag about him driving vanguard into the ground.. heh.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

biznatchio posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post424714536

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS posted:

Will there be a quest where you have to rummage through your employees' desks for 10 vials of percocet, then leave after being at the office for only an hour?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:laugh:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I was really surprised that people were willing to give this dude money again. Even if you implicitly trust Brad McQuaid for whatever strange reason, you've got to know that a Kickstarter for a niche MMO on a $800,000 budget without a prototype (or even concept art) is going to be nothing more than a giant money hole.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

If you really want to play Everquest 1 so bad you can actually still do it, and even in its current state it's better than this piece of poo poo ever would be anyway.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SheepNameKiller posted:

If you really want to play Everquest 1 so bad you can actually still do it, and even in its current state it's better than this piece of poo poo ever would be anyway.

Everquest is still better than anything else, besides private UO shards. But the game is unrecognizable from when it was at its peak. A new zone was released a month ago that went back to the old style of quests, and has multi group content that you can't win by facerolling your keyboard. And most people hate it because it's hard and you have to actually pay attention.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Node posted:

Everquest is still better than anything else, besides private UO shards. But the game is unrecognizable from when it was at its peak. A new zone was released a month ago that went back to the old style of quests, and has multi group content that you can't win by facerolling your keyboard. And most people hate it because it's hard and you have to actually pay attention.

I remember when EQ was the game to play because it didn't have all that masochistic bullshit from UO. ~memories~

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I feel like we might have rallied behind Brad a bit more if he had taken the time to stop and address the concerns being raised about his past drug problems and the stories that describe his terrible management practices. He could have said something about how he's moved on from that behavior or perhaps explained exactly what happened and why things are better and with that have been done with it. Instead, the guy chose to blanket ignore everyone making warning posts and only responding to very specific game-related points. Well gee, that inspires confidence as an investor!

I was interested in the premise of this game but the stories paint the development lead as some self-important painkiller addict and he's said nothing to convince me otherwise, so I can only believe what I've been told.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
This saga has continued to make for some interesting reading.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I feel like we might have rallied behind Brad a bit more if he had taken the time to stop and address the concerns being raised about his past drug problems and the stories that describe his terrible management practices. He could have said something about how he's moved on from that behavior or perhaps explained exactly what happened and why things are better and with that have been done with it. Instead, the guy chose to blanket ignore everyone making warning posts and only responding to very specific game-related points. Well gee, that inspires confidence as an investor!

I was interested in the premise of this game but the stories paint the development lead as some self-important painkiller addict and he's said nothing to convince me otherwise, so I can only believe what I've been told.

Brad could have done alot of stuff.
But in the end Brad proved to be a con man whos terrible MMO will never see the light of day.
ever.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

Brad took 45k as his advance and it was for 5 months of work advance, not 3.

I find this clarification on his "advance" hilarious. Whether it was 3 months, 5 months, 10 months, whatever it's all arbitrary because he received $45k for 1 month of (cough)work. It's just another way that sleazeballs con people out of money and then put a spin on it to make it sound like he had good intentions.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That was the part that floored me the most about this. He was actually taking a salary from donations.

He was head of a company with zero assets yet he had a salary of $9000 a month. Most start-ups wait until they are funded until drawing salaries so they can use any money coming in to actually get their idea off the ground. Brad took almost 1/3 of the money himself and threw scraps to the rest of the team. I could argue they were technically paid only to do Twitch stream interviews.

jabro fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2014

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

thanks for the free money, nerds

/

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

jabro posted:

That was the part that floored me the most about this. He was actually taking a salary from donations.

He was head of a company with zero assets yet he had a salary of $9000 a month. Most start-ups wait until they are funded until drawing salaries so they can use any money coming in to actually get their idea off the ground. Brad took almost 1/3 of the money himself and threw scraps to the rest of the team. I could argue they were technically paid only to do Twitch stream interviews.

I have to laugh that apparently the plans and documents were so poor that the outside investors backed out when they saw them. Like what were you even doing all this time besides stealing money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

randombattle posted:

Like what were you even doing all this time besides stealing money.

Wait, was the business plan supposed to contain something besides this?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Chum Scandal posted:

thanks for the free money, nerds

/

So whens the 2nd kickstarter going down?

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Essential posted:

I find this clarification on his "advance" hilarious. Whether it was 3 months, 5 months, 10 months, whatever it's all arbitrary because he received $45k for 1 month of (cough)work. It's just another way that sleazeballs con people out of money and then put a spin on it to make it sound like he had good intentions.

That is part of the problem with crowd funding, you don't know how the money is going to be used, whereas when you go to a financial institution to borrow money they want a far more detailed budget of where the money is going.

Everyone needs to put food on the table, but the early 'sacrifices' made by people working on the project should have been repaid in the form of equity rather than siphoned from limited contributions made to help create the game.

You need to be in a good place, financially, when undertaking a business, even more so starting up a new business or getting involved in a new business. There are risks and sacrifices that are expected to be made if you are going to profit from it's success.

You can't be dependent on drawing money form it early. Early 'donations' should have been put towards creating something that would have helped them generate more donations and that help to promote growth and interest in their project which would help to find additional funding.

It is just a hard sell to expect the public to basically bear all the risk in terms of giving you the capital to make the game, pay you a salary and if it is successful you benefit from whatever profit it can make.

I think in most scenarios, someone looking to retain all or most of the equity in a company would be expected to inject a substantial amount of capital into the company. Not sure it was a good idea to launch a no-equity company and expect to make an MMO. I think Mark Jacobs (ex-Mythic) committed to put $2m of his own money into the company if the kickstarter was successful and had another investor that was prepared to put in another $1m as well, and had successfully raised $2.2m via the kickstarter and another $400k odd since the kickstarter finished. I think there is just more confidence if the company has a more realistic level of working capital and significant contribution for the equity owned in the company.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

randombattle posted:

Like what were you even doing all this time besides stealing money.

That was the whole plan. And it worked beautifully by squeezing out some more money out of nostalgia blinded nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Zvim posted:

Very good points...

Very well said and I agree with everything you said. A simple way I heard it described is everyone involved must bring something, either working skills or capital. If you don't have either of those, you don't have a place in a startup. That especially applies to the idea guy: you better have some skills you can put to work or some cash to put up.

What I find in this case that makes it seem worse, is he didn't just draw a monthly salary from the funds. He took 1/3 of the money and then said the project was on hold because of the lack of funds. And he still asked for donations to pay for the monthly website fee's.

• Locked thread