Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 478 days!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm hoping you'd like a Jacket Words Post for this, because if so, you're in luck.

This is stuff I've talked about before, but top teams basically tried to consolidate in two directions after the success of the Chelsea and Arsenal models in the 2000s. Squad depth has become a huge issue, it's one of the things that people bring up now when they're talking about Arsenal or Liverpool, and yet if you go back and look at the United team that nearly won a domestic treble in 1993/94 (exactly 20 years ago, no less), they have around 14 or 15 senior players, and then the youth team. That's it. It's what allowed the "Class of '92" to come through in the first place. It'd be absurd today. You now have teams with 24+ senior players, but they still want to emulate Arsenal or Barcelona and find this crop of future superstars.

And so teams, particularly Chelsea, but City look very keen to do the same, just sign up anyone who looks promising to expensive long-term deals that smaller clubs couldn't possible offer, and then almost all of those players literally just sit in the reserves and rot until they're 24 when they're released and either go play in the Conference or they retire. This is after the Premier League basically held up the rest of the league for the right to poach young players as and when they saw fit anyway, again under the guise that it's in the interests of the national team for the best players to be coached somewhere less poo poo than Scunthorpe.

The problem isn't really that it'll make young players more likely to choose Chelsea over Chesterfield, that ship sailed a decade ago. The problem is that it would basically turn everything below League One into a glorified reserve league, with attendances to match. From the article, it seems they'd be offering it to every club in the Premier League and Championship, but that's potentially 44 new clubs, and I doubt there's 44 clubs worth of talent that can stay afloat at that level. I'd love to see Chelsea reserves get kicked up and down the Isthmian League, which is not unthinkable if that goes ahead, and almost certain if you're Brentford B.

Did you ever use that coffee from two christmas times past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Blue Screen Error posted:

English player quotas for the first XI, and a limit to the number of players on pro contracts a club can have

First one would be illegal I suspect, 2nd one might be tricky.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
briitsh clubs for british workers

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
didnt labour have some gay support local football team thing in their manifesto

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Xbox One posted:

Did you ever use that coffee from two christmas times past?

Despite the fact that people not from loving Seattle don't own their own personal coffee presses, I eventually did, and it was good. Chelsea are a bad team.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Moyes was a terrible choice to manage United.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

what makes you say that

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know, I found his tenure to be rather pleasant

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

what makes you say that

I'm compelled to share my thoughts and opinions nomatter how outrageous or offensive.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Spurs fans hate their managers BSE it's a thing they've always done. Sherwood has done really well for them since he took over but spurs fans are never happy for one reason or another.

it's like they have only one measure of success and they're not even achieving that

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm compelled to share my thoughts and opinions nomatter how outrageous or offensive.

depemds on why he was chosen, and by who. doyou follow me?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Puseklepp posted:

I feel like City has been very good at being disappointing whenever the other title contenders slipped up this season, so I still think Liverpool has a good chance of winning.

In a season full of everyone bottling it, City have bottled it slightly less and will win the title.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

Reminder that Davey Moyes is going to win more trophies this year than "noted trophy winner" Jose Mourinho

And also make more money

pdog
May 7, 2013

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

it's like they have only one measure of success and they're not even achieving that

Most people hate Sherwood because of his weird selections, and most of all his huge amount of poo poo talking.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Reminder that Davey Moyes is going to win more trophies this year than "noted trophy winner" Jose Mourinho

And also make more money

You don't need trophies to be a winner, and he's a winner or something.

What a season for this thread

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Even Moyes doesn't take credit for that.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

pdog posted:

Most people hate Sherwood because of his weird selections, and most of all his huge amount of poo poo talking.

he's just trying to fit in :shobon:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Did someone say Tim Sherwood?

He sherwood have liked his team to play better immediately prior to this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

cheese posted:

In a season full of everyone bottling it, City have bottled it slightly less and will win the title.

There's bottling left in this season. Not sure who, but someone's gonna bottle something.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

tarbrush posted:

There's bottling left in this season. Not sure who, but someone's gonna bottle something.

I hope someone bottles Sam Allardyce

I'm sure fans of other teams would like to bottle someone too. Perhaps you should write it down and ask santa really nicely.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Charlotte Hornets posted:

this idea worked in Spain and look where they are now and look where's england.

The English football pyramid is unique and has full time professionals in way lower leagues than what you see in Spain

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Bottle as in capture his essence in a bottle to sell at a reasonable price?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Myssu posted:

Bottle as in capture his essence in a bottle to sell at a reasonable price?

Big Sam's a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub him the right way

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spangly A posted:

I hope it's a Man City fan after Allardyce masterminds a 1-0 victory on the last day of the season :getin:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Big Sam's a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub him the right way

Come, come, come on in
Yum

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
Sherwood throwing his gillet has got to be my favorite Meltdown Of The Year with Mourinho being sent off the Villa match a close second

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dudley posted:

Many othe leagues in Europe do similar national versions of #1. I don't know if it would accomplish anything other than making the rest of the league that much more poo poo, but the 2nd one would be very good.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 478 days!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27298374

quote:

"It was a big mistake but he paid for it now. He's been relegated and if he wakes up he'll ask for Michael Jackson again and I'll say 'No way'."

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This is outstanding and one of the strangest claims I've ever heard by a real life rich and powerful dude.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

vyelkin posted:

Did someone say Tim Sherwood?

He sherwood have liked his team to play better immediately prior to this.

No room for passion in the modern game, op. It's a landscape of parked bus's and "I thought we played well despite the result" post game interviews. Sherwood needs to coach in South America or some place where he can keep his antics up.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Send him to Russia. The entire Russian league could be run by former Tottenham managers within a year or two.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sherwood is terrible. Not only is a bad manager and but he has alienated loads of the squad. He is one of the few managers I have actively hated. He is sort of like a poo poo version of di canio.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Pardew wants to sign Andros Townsend :negative:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Dudley posted:

We already have homegrown rules for squad registration, just extend them to the first team. It wouldn't be an English quota then obviously but most of the players that apply would be English.

Do the same for the 2nd one, let clubs sign as many players as they want but only X of them are allowed to be registered to play in FA/UEFA licenced competitions, including the reserve league.

For the record I'm not saying either of these are particularly useful or good ideas, just that they are considerably more effective solutions than wrecking more than half the football pyramid.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

Sherwood is terrible. Not only is a bad manager and but he has alienated loads of the squad. He is one of the few managers I have actively hated. He is sort of like a poo poo version of di canio.

Yeah but he's on minimum wage and hell, levy is jewish

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Jose posted:

Pardew wants to sign Andros Townsend :negative:

Do you still have Obertan in the squad?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Jippa posted:

Why is he a bad manager, do you think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

euroboy posted:

Do you still have Obertan in the squad?

and Marveaux and Ben Arfa who are all probably getting sold and are just as much use as Townsend

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Why is he a bad manager, do you think

Its because he wears a sleveless puffy jacket that enabled the guardian podcast to go on hipster fashionista rambles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

I hope it's a Man City fan after Allardyce masterminds a 1-0 victory on the last day of the season :getin:
lmao if you think we're taking a single shot in that game. Carroll won't come within 10 yards of another west ham player.

• Locked thread