Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nobody likes Bayonetta other than people who like Bayonetta which is next to no one.

Do you work at Square-Enix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bayo sold quite a lot for a Platinum game, outdone only by MGR. It's also a much more high-skill technical game than MGR, so has a fierce following in the Platinum hardcore.

The only reason why nobody cares about Bayo2 is, well, the Wii U. Which is a shame because if it weren't for Nintendo, the game wouldn't be made in the first place. (It sold well, but not well enough.)

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty unlikely. Modern JRPGs are not huge sellers and single-system SKUs outselling multi-system SKUs is incredibly rare for anything not named Mario or Pokemon. Even if Xenoblade's sales numbers literally doubled over what it sold, Bayonetta would still have sold better.

Xenoblade is like the most cursed AAA game I've ever heard of, for its USA release at least. It had reasons it didn't sell that most games never even had on the table.

-Gamestop exclusive
-One run of sealed copies, then a second run of Gamestop-gutted, inflated priced copies sold as used
-No price drops
-Wii exclusive in 2012, long after Wii's popularity died out
-Released in April of all months
-Very little promotion

I do know a lot of goons and co. went nuts over it, and I've always wondered if it's going to end up the Earthbound for kids born in 2005 (as in, people will make fansites and go nuts over it 10 years after release). Westerners like JRPGs, they're just rarely marketed well here. Didn't even lovely Final Fantasy XIII sell really well in the USA despite being a lovely piece of poo poo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gay skull posted:

I do know a lot of goons and co. went nuts over it, and I've always wondered if it's going to end up the Earthbound for kids born in 2005 (as in, people will make fansites and go nuts over it 10 years after release). Westerners like JRPGs, they're just rarely marketed well here. Didn't even lovely Final Fantasy XIII sell really well in the USA despite being a lovely piece of poo poo?

Final Fantasy is basically the only JRPG franchise to have any long and lasting huge success in the west and that is more because it was a graphical powerhouse that built a huge franchise based off a single mega-success that came at the right time more than an innate love for the JRPGs. They've been riding that success ever since.

Most of the financially successful franchises are niche games that sell to a dependable audience on a shoestring budget. Even really widely praised JRPGs don't tend to sell very much. The most successful in recent memory is like... Persona and I don't think a single Persona game has done over a million copies not counting re-releases. Atlus's expected sales for the original release of Persona 4 were an extremely modest 150,000 copies sold in the US and it actually underperformed there.

JRPGs are not big sellers. 150,000~ is a pretty reasonable expectation for a 'big-name' JRPG. Final Fantasy and its spinoffs are the huge giant glowing neon exception but more because of an incredibly strong name brand. Even Square-Enix's non-FF JRPGs have lower expectations. (They were surprised at Bravely Default's 'huge success' despite it being a FF in all but name and it still only did like 200,000 copies sold.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 7, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

gay skull posted:

Sequels tend to sell based on how the previous title was and FF XII was pretty good.

That, and Square-Enix could just put swap.avi on a disc with "Final Fantasy" scribbled across the front in marker and it would still sell a few hundred-thousand copies just from the name alone.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nobody likes Bayonetta other than people who like Bayonetta which is next to no one.

actually bayonetta rules and everybody loves it, fact

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

romanowski posted:

"Welcome to my fantasy zone!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

"Welcome to my fantasy zone!"

This part didn't rule though, it was WAY to loving long, boring and tedious as hell, and as a final gently caress you it capped off with the best bossfight in the game, so if you wanted to go through it again you'd have to slog through that poo poo.

I really wish Mikami would make an auto scroller shooter and just get it out of his system, I am so loving sick of shmup/space harrier sections in his games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

gay skull posted:

Xenoblade is like the most cursed AAA game I've ever heard of, for its USA release at least. It had reasons it didn't sell that most games never even had on the table.

-Gamestop exclusive
-One run of sealed copies, then a second run of Gamestop-gutted, inflated priced copies sold as used
-No price drops
-Wii exclusive in 2012, long after Wii's popularity died out
-Released in April of all months
-Very little promotion

Since everybody likes anecdotes, I've had many friend interested in it, but unable to find a copy and then appalled at the ridiculous premium pricing for a "used" copy.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nintendo's Full Year Financial results are out.

It's looking as bad as expected for the Wii U, if not more so, and not great on the 3DS front either.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Crawfish posted:

It's looking as bad as expected for the Wii U, if not more so, and not great on the 3DS front either.

Dang, they're only predicting 3.6 million Wii U's shipped for the fiscal year despite having Smash and Mario Kart. I'm pretty sure they haven't hit one of their yearly predictions for either console in a couple of years so... that might not be great for them.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If Zelda is announced as planned at E3 and manages to make this financial year, and the Wii U still can't meet it with that, Mario Kart and Smash, the writing is pretty much on the wall there.

gently caress knows what they'll do if that happens though, because I don't necessarily see a more powerful Nintendo console wooing back third parties and customers by itself, with the rate they have for releasing HD games at the moment, and they very much can't afford an Xbone level flop as a company.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

romanowski posted:

If this was the case they would be up to the fourth game already just like in Dark Souls and Monster Hunter.

But Platinum's games are forever doomed to be freebees and bargain bin items.

I mean for me personally I picked up Bayonetta and Vanquish for under 5 bucks in total. It also shouldn't be that hard to bring those games over to the PC.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They might able to woo back 3rd party folk, but it would take making a console in tandem with them to do so, something I feel Nintendo will never do.

Nintendo has always done its own thing and expected everyone to go along, I don't think they'll change anytime soon unless a massive management shake up occurs.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Nintendo has always done its own thing and expected everyone to go along, I don't think they'll change anytime soon unless a massive management shake up occurs.

This might just happen if enough investors are sick of Iwata.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Alteisen posted:

They might able to woo back 3rd party folk, but it would take making a console in tandem with them to do so, something I feel Nintendo will never do.

Nintendo might want to make a new console but they cannot bear the expense.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

This might just happen if enough investors are sick of Iwata.

I want to say that yes this is the year, but then they might just pick another awful or worse replacement.

But if Iwata decides to let NOA do it's own thing without being heavily supervised by NOJ then he might be golden.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crawfish posted:

Nothing hugely surprising that I can see. Download sales up 50% YoY. Missed 3DS hardware forecast by some distance (12.2m vs 13.5m on the revised forecast, 18m on the original), pretty much on the mark with the others modified in January.

This year's forecast is pretty low all round.

quote:

Regarding “Wii U,” which still faces a challenging sales situation, Nintendo will focus on efforts that seek to stimulate the platform. By providing software that takes advantage of the “Wii U GamePad,” utilizing its built-in functionality as an NFC reader/writer, and adding “Nintendo DS” Virtual Console titles to the “Wii U” software lineup, Nintendo will seek to enrich the value of the “Wii U GamePad,” the most important differentiator of “Wii U,” and as a result expand the sales of the “Wii U” platform.

Pokemonlanders. Mario Infinity. No mention of games coming besides the big two. Confirmation that the console is still sold at a loss as well.

quote:

Moreover, by redefining entertainment as something that improves people’s QOL (Quality of Life) in enjoyable ways, Nintendo aims to deploy a new platform business that improves people’s QOL in enjoyable ways in a new field that is different from that of dedicated video game systems. The first theme will be health, and Nintendo plans to capitalize on being an entertainment company in devising a unique approach of its own.

QOL :w00t:

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 7, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo is trying to be Apple but once they try and steal The Fire of The Jobs, they shall be struck down and cast into oblivion.

Seriously this is some awful ideas that are Ouya grade delusional.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Another interesting thing from this report is that Nintendo's fabled War Chesttm (cash + short term investments) is down from ~$12 billion in 2009 to less than ~$8 billion. So the notion that they can survive forever with their home consoles flopping doesn't seem to hold up.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 7, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well to be fair, 1 billion of that went into the Yamaguchi estate share buy back last year, and they have been sinking large amounts into R&D and all these buildings they keep having built, so it's not all straight losses.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

Well to be fair, 1 billion of that went into the Yamaguchi estate share buy back last year, and they have been sinking large amounts into R&D and all these buildings they keep having built, so it's not all straight losses.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2613444633/

Pretty sure this is what's going on ATM.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
There was also their attempt to counter their stock price drop by buying out another company. Which of course didn't work since the stock dropped again after the buyout since it was realised what a blatant attempt to fudget the numbers it was. So its not so much that they're losing so much money from operating losses, but because they're buying/wasting it all at once.

Anywho, reading the report...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo is trying to be Apple but once they try and steal The Fire of The Jobs, they shall be struck down and cast into oblivion.

Seriously this is some awful ideas that are Ouya grade delusional.

Somebody should send a memo that emulating Apple exterior styling isn't what made DSLite and Wii sold so well.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crawfish posted:

Yeah. 2009 to now would cover the end of 3DS development, probably most of the 3DSXL and Wii U development, plus whatever they're working on that we don't know about.

It's been a bumpy transition from the absurd highs of the Wii over the same period and that financial change hasn't really been handled in the best way. The impression you get from Nintendo's statements is that they assumed they could repeat that same level of success in sales and profitability rather than accepting the Wii as an outlier.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Although the silver lining of the Wii-U not doing so well is that Wii and Wii-U game prices are dirt cheap and continuing to drop. I bought a Bunch of Wii games for under 5 bucks that were of good quality. The Wii had a good amount of Arcade ports and for 4 bucks it's cheaper than actually playing the arcade. That and even Xenoblade is within reasonable prices again.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

"This video is not available in your country" is a pretty weird thing to be going on with Nintendo ATM.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

"This video is not available in your country" is a pretty weird thing to be going on with Nintendo ATM.

Well yeah look at all the games they refused to localize.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

What didn't they localize?

I'm not trying to argue anything, i'm just interested is all.

I know Captain Rainbow, that weird swords game with a japanese title, I think something named Earth Seeker, Culdcept and the latest Jam with the Band that relies heavily on Vocaloid stuff didn't get localized, but what else have we been missing?

Or is this a "We think Americans don't care for Football Soccer and Europeans don't care for Baseball, therefore we won't bother" thing?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Hmm... interesting regarding what was or wasn't selling.

For the year ending March 2013, the Wii U sold and made more in less than six months on the market, than it has being around for twelve months for the year ending March 2014. Software wise the decrease fot the Wii U isn't quite so bad, until you pause and consider there's also way more titles on the console now, including several 'big' ones. Not sure what 'content income' is though. DLC?

Still, software income was overall up, but really not helped by the hardware end of things.

Hardware sales of the Wii U saw decreases in all areas, whilst software units is up (though again accounting for the wider variety of titles now out, plus bundled games). Europe still remains the finnicky of the main three areas.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Crawfish posted:

What didn't they localize?

I'm not trying to argue anything, i'm just interested is all.

Layton vs. Phoenix Wright. I'm still salty about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Layton vs. Phoenix Wright. I'm still salty about that.

Layton vs Wright is confirmed for a 2014 release in the US and already came out in Europe.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Crawfish posted:

If Zelda is announced as planned at E3

What makes people so certain they'll announce a zelda thing at e3? At last year's e3 they announced Hyrule Warriors (WORKING TITLE), which looked like it was 1% finished. All they had were a bunch of skyward sword imps standing motionless in a field, and link hitting them with a sword. Unless people know otherwise, seems to me like it's 99% guaranteed that they'll just show a lot more of Hyrule Warriors?

And if they did announce a "real" Zelda, wouldn't that completely cannibalize interest in hyrule warriors? It would basically make their last year of effort a total waste.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Polo-Rican posted:

What makes people so certain they'll announce a zelda thing at e3? At last year's e3 they announced Hyrule Warriors (WORKING TITLE), which looked like it was 1% finished. All they had were a bunch of skyward sword imps standing motionless in a field, and link hitting them with a sword. Unless people know otherwise, seems to me like it's 99% guaranteed that they'll just show a lot more of Hyrule Warriors?

And if they did announce a "real" Zelda, wouldn't that completely cannibalize interest in hyrule warriors? It would basically make their last year of effort a total waste.

Hyrule Warriors was announced at the December (?) Nintendo Direct. At an interview during E3 someone said that they are working on Zelda, but not ready to show it yet. So they are working on it, the question is when we will see it. E3 seems like a good time for that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

At last year's e3 they announced Hyrule Warriors (WORKING TITLE), which looked like it was 1% finished. All they had were a bunch of skyward sword imps standing motionless in a field, and link hitting them with a sword.

That's not "1%" finished. That's just how Dynasty Warrior works.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If memory serves it was a Dorito Pope and Miyamoto interview and the wording was something along the lines of "We could of shown it here at this E3, but we decided there was already so much here, so we didn't bother" or the like.

I may not be entirely correct on this, as it was poo poo that happened nearly a year ago now.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
People keep thinking that the tech demo shown off at E3 2011 (that thing with the giant spider) was actually a trailer for a new project, and not, you know, a tech demo. Thus, people think that Nintendo must have been working on the next Zelda game for 3 years, and it must be almost done.

Crawfish posted:

If Zelda is announced as planned at E3 and manages to make this financial year, and the Wii U still can't meet it with that, Mario Kart and Smash, the writing is pretty much on the wall there.
Two months after the Wii U was released the writing was on the wall. Presently the writing has been moved to a dazzling marquee lit up in glittering bulbs and interlaced with neon in Times Square. By the end of this year, the writing will be in ten meter high flaming letters, etched into a mountain range on the planet Preliumtarn in the Saxaquine galaxy, where a lone android will see it, and be satisfied by it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

TaurusOxford posted:

That's not "1%" finished. That's just how Dynasty Warrior works.

I really recommend you watch the trailer again. They only show one janky, empty environment. Even in the teaser trailer there are bugs (you see imps pop-in right in front of the camera!). With game development it takes a surprisingly small amount of time to get a playable prototype on screen. You can do that in a week. Building that into a full game takes longer than you can imagine. I know it sounds like hyperbole but in the world of game development, "1% finished" probably wasn't much of an exaggeration.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Polo-Rican posted:

I really recommend you watch the trailer again. They only show one janky, empty environment. Even in the teaser trailer there are bugs (you see imps pop-in right in front of the camera!). With game development it takes a surprisingly small amount of time to get a playable prototype on screen. You can do that in a week. Building that into a full game takes longer than you can imagine. I know it sounds like hyperbole but in the world of game development, "1% finished" probably wasn't much of an exaggeration.

I really recommend you watch some gameplay footage of Dynasty Wariors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

You have clearly never seen Dynasty Warriors. That pop-in isn't a bug. Character models just disappear/reappear depending on the position of the camera.

• Locked thread