Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crawfish posted:

Dramatics about recent Mario games characters aside, it looks like Pokken, that Pokemon Fighting thing they teased for a second at the end of that one "walk down memory lane" youtube video a while back got some European trademarks recently. This, adding to the American trademarks last August means we'll probably see something about it next month.

They've also trademarked “Advance”, “Advance Series”, “Advance Touch”, and “Advance Push” in the last month. E3 should be really interesting this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for the summer. I really want Pikmin 3, and I will probably get Mario Kart 8 with Wind Waker HD as my free game. Basically my question is, do you feel the 8GB version is enough if I plan to get the Pikmin 3 DLC, download Wind Waker HD, and have the rest of my games on a disc? I can't find the Pikmin 3 DLC filesize anywhere. Also, are there any better deals that you guys know about other than this? If the 8GB version isn't enough I guess I'll just get the NSMBU bundle, but I wanted to ask first.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there's a reason why they removed the danger and the tension outside the Nightmare sequences and I agree with them that having that overarching feeling of always potentially being in danger can take away from the immersion of the game's story and (empty) environment, otherwise it definitely does turn into another zombie apocalypse scenario.

I never thought of it that way, I can totally see how people are into the game but it's just not my bag. I feel like you could make a compromise and have enemy encounters be pretty rare outside of nightmare sequences, but that's just me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
8GB should be enough, since WWHD is only 2ish GB. The DLC/patches for games are tiny, so you don't have to worry about anything else unless you go to buy a bunch of VC games. You can put most any USB hard drive with a Y cable on the back of the Wii U though, so disk space isn't a major worry.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Cool Dogs Only posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for the summer. I really want Pikmin 3, and I will probably get Mario Kart 8 with Wind Waker HD as my free game. Basically my question is, do you feel the 8GB version is enough if I plan to get the Pikmin 3 DLC, download Wind Waker HD, and have the rest of my games on a disc? I can't find the Pikmin 3 DLC filesize anywhere. Also, are there any better deals that you guys know about other than this? If the 8GB version isn't enough I guess I'll just get the NSMBU bundle, but I wanted to ask first.

If you are set on an 8gb Wii U, I would probably buy this one http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Skylanders-SWAP-Force-Bundle-u/dp/B00GD962OA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1399351648&sr=8-7&keywords=wii+u

It's $6 cheaper and you can probably trade in all the skylanders stuff to gamestop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cool Dogs Only posted:

No it isn't enough. You actually only have 5GB after the OS install footprint. Go for the Deluxe.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah unless you have an external HDD reserved for the WiiU the 8GB model will have just enough memory for your saves and some VC titles.

That is, if more of them start coming out and would actually take up that space.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah unless you have an external HDD reserved for the WiiU the 8GB model will have just enough memory for your saves and some VC titles.

That is, if more of them start coming out and would actually take up that space.
Game saves and Virtual Consoles are loving tiny in size though.

If he was looking at picking stuff up like the NES Remix games, or any of the indie eShop stuff, that would be more of an issue.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Crawfish posted:

Game saves and Virtual Consoles are loving tiny in size though.

If he was looking at picking stuff up like the NES Remix games, or any of the indie eShop stuff, that would be more of an issue.

But the free Wind Waker HD is downloadable, so 8 wont be enough right off the bat. Its not the end of the world though, since external hard drives (up to 1TB!) are as easy as "plug it in, format, it works"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Wind Waker HD is 2.5GB, even with the 5GB left over that's plenty enough. DLC and saves are tiny, VC's bigger but still pretty small. Even NES remix is only 500MB between both of them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gutcruncher posted:

But the free Wind Waker HD is downloadable, so 8 wont be enough right off the bat. Its not the end of the world though, since external hard drives (up to 1TB!) are as easy as "plug it in, format, it works"

I have a 2TB drive and I'm pretty sure it recognizes the whole thing.

e: Yeah, just checked and the limit is 2TB. Not that I will ever need that much space, I'm going to run out of tiles on the gamepad at some point in the future as is.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 6, 2014

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
I don't really plan on downloading any virtual console games, and I only want the Pikmin 3 DLC since it's one of my favorite series and Wind Waker because it's one of my top 5 games. Everything else doesn't really matter to me, plus after the summer ends I won't have time to play Wii U until the next year, and only my family would use it, meaning probably no need to download anything. And if I was done with Wind Waker and wanted some space, couldn't I just delete it and have the option to download it again later? Maybe I'll just go for the 8GB and then get an external hard drive if it becomes necessary down the line.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can also plug in flash drives. Go with the 8GB one if you can find one for a good deal.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

JordanKai posted:

Hey now, that's just true at all. It's just that Nintendo refuses to put Broozers in their spin-offs. :colbert:

How could you hate this guy? :3:
Ehh, these are really just second-rate Chargin' Chucks :colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

But Copper Peach or whatever she is is a complete waste of a slot.

Here's the slot idea again. Hey, there are no slots! There are however many characters they decide to include. Metal Peach is probably in because of aforementioned heavyness, and also because some intern could make her in a day by removing textures and distorting voiceclips. Done, cost no one anything.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I just realized that Nintendo missed out on a golden opportunity by not putting Baby Park from Double Dash in MK8 as one of the tracks for Battle Mode. That alone would elevate the new Battle Mode from botched concept to The Best One™.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Crawfish posted:

Virtual Consoles are loving tiny in size though.

They're actually hilariously huge compared to what they should be, I have no idea what they're stuffing into those emulators to make the emulator + manual take up 50+ MB of space. For example, Advance Wars takes up 59 MB of space, and the European GBA Advance Wars cartridge is only 8 MB big.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

They're actually hilariously huge compared to what they should be, I have no idea what they're stuffing into those emulators to make the emulator + manual take up 50+ MB of space. For example, Advance Wars takes up 59 MB of space, and the European GBA Advance Wars cartridge is only 8 MB big.

It's probably a separate custom-tailored incarnation of the emulator for each game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's great but it doesn't explain why it's over 50 MB big. A general-purpose GBA emulator on PC is less than 1 MB compressed, 3.5 MB uncompressed.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I assume hidden within each VC game there are hundreds of pictures of japanese mens flaccid penis'.

If only we knew how to unlock them

edit - I bought a WiiU yesterday.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 6, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I just assume it's because the Wii/Wii U's file system drivers are hilariously terrible, and have a minimum block allocation size in the tens of megabytes or something :shrug:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

They also include instruction manuals and whatnot. What is most important though, who gives a poo poo when we live in a world with terabyte sized hard drives.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

katkillad2 posted:

They also include instruction manuals and whatnot. What is most important though, who gives a poo poo when we live in a world with terabyte sized hard drives.

My old hard drive started failing a week or two ago so I decided to start shopping for a new one before it failed completely. I havent purcahsed a new HD in 4 or 5 years and I had no idea how cheap they had become. Got a 2 TB for like 75 bux. Crazy poo poo

Edit - basically, for the price difference between the 8GB standard WiiU and the 32 gig version, you could buy a really nice 500 gig external hard drive.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have a 2TB drive and I'm pretty sure it recognizes the whole thing.

e: Yeah, just checked and the limit is 2TB. Not that I will ever need that much space, I'm going to run out of tiles on the gamepad at some point in the future as is.

Just use an old HDD, or buy a desktop HDD and slap it into this I can confirm it works with the WiiU, I already owned a few from when flash drives were tiny. The entire setup should be pretty cheap.

The real question of if the deluxe is a good deal or not is are you going to buy enough digital games to make up the difference in price. The promotion where you get $5 back for every $50 is still going on right?

When you run out of tiles the WiiU just adds another page. I found a post relating to it when I was looking to see if the wiiU supported folders (it doesn't) Someone's solution to someone wanting different consoles on different pages was to fill everything up to get more pages, which was confirmed to work. I loving hate the internet and how that was an acceptable solution.

Still 2TB is a stupid amount of games when would you possibly need access to 2TB of wiiU games at the same time? Worst case you can delete and re-download stuff. Also if you really need more you can plug 2 drives into the wiiU and get 4TB of storage. You could probably fit most of the wii U library at the end of its life on all that space, narrow it down to games worth playing in every age range just to be nice and assume kids, teens, and adults using it and you still have extra space.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

pixaal posted:

The real question of if the deluxe is a good deal or not is are you going to buy enough digital games to make up the difference in price. The promotion where you get $5 back for every $50 is still going on right?

It lasts until December 31, 2014... I kind of hope they extend it indefinitely. So far I've only earned $20 in codes and I was an idiot who bought it at launch. I had no intentions on going digital only or anything, but I expected a whole hell of a lot more indie games than what we've currently got.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 6, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

katkillad2 posted:

It lasts until December 31, 2014... I kind of hope they extend it indefinitely. So far I've only earned $20 in codes and I was an idiot who bought it at launch. I had no intentions on going digital only or anything, but I expected a whole hell of a lot more indie games than what we've currently got.

I've got at least four indie titles I'm interested in that are planned to come out between now and the end of this year, but yeah, I'd definitely like to see the promotion go longer, since I've only about a fifth of the way to getting an extra $5. Also, I think it's rather silly that a $4.99 purchase gets you 49 points, but eh.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

An extension might be a good selling point come holiday time.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I have a question to which I think I probably know an answer already, but there might be something I'm missing, so I thought I'd ask. Basically, what I'm most interested is the WiiU's backward compatibility, since there had been quite a few titles I missed on GamaCube and Wii, and I hear WiiU is compatible with both and there might be a few games there will be released which I might be interested in, namely X or FExSMT, the price does not really have much lower to fall to. However, WiiU is also region locked, right? And I wonder, is there much point to buying WiiU over a Wii, other than maybe warranty and availability? I do not think so, but - as I said - there might be something I'm missing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Wii U is NOT natively comparable with GameCube games. There are ways to achieve that, but they involve :filez: and may void your warranty.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Szurumbur posted:

I have a question to which I think I probably know an answer already, but there might be something I'm missing, so I thought I'd ask. Basically, what I'm most interested is the WiiU's backward compatibility, since there had been quite a few titles I missed on GamaCube and Wii, and I hear WiiU is compatible with both and there might be a few games there will be released which I might be interested in, namely X or FExSMT, the price does not really have much lower to fall to. However, WiiU is also region locked, right? And I wonder, is there much point to buying WiiU over a Wii, other than maybe warranty and availability? I do not think so, but - as I said - there might be something I'm missing.

The WiiU can't play Gamecube stuff (without hacking anyway), but it can play Wii games. The Wii can play Wii games, and older models can also play Gamecube games. Newer releases of the Wii can't, since they physically don't have the ports for gamecube controllers and memory cards anymore.

Some fun 1st party gamecube games were re-released on the Wii as "New Play Control" versions, ports that are pretty identical other than using a wii controller to play, so there's that.

But generally it sounds like you could get an older used Wii and get what you want out of it for much less money. If, down the line you want to get a WiiU, you can transfer your save files and downloads from the Wii to a WiiU.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I see, I remember reading it was compatible with GameCube games, but I must have misunderstood something. Regardless, thank you for the answers, I guess Wii is all I need for now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That's great but it doesn't explain why it's over 50 MB big. A general-purpose GBA emulator on PC is less than 1 MB compressed, 3.5 MB uncompressed.

I posted this earlier, but Mario Kart on the Snes is 67 mb large. :shepface: Must be a huge manual.

:ohdear: I'm not sure if I want everything digital, so I'm doubting if I want to buy Super Mario Kart so I get that for free in addition to Mario Kart 8.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ultigonio posted:

I've got at least four indie titles I'm interested in that are planned to come out between now and the end of this year, but yeah, I'd definitely like to see the promotion go longer, since I've only about a fifth of the way to getting an extra $5. Also, I think it's rather silly that a $4.99 purchase gets you 49 points, but eh.

Here in the UK it took me a few minutes to realise why a £6.50 purchase only gave you 50 something points. The points you get is from the price minus VAT. :suicide:

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think metal peach was just so they had an easy to make girl driver for that size class.

Except Metal Mario and herself are the only ones in that size class. (Mario Wiki is calling it Heavy, but it used to just say Metal as the class name.) Seems like it would just be easier to shove them into a neighboring group to me.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yo, just how many loving Murphy levels are in this Rayman Legends game? I came here to hop and bop not tap poo poo and rub a screen. I thought these were supposed to be some kind of weird musical choreography levels anyway?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yo, just how many loving Murphy levels are in this Rayman Legends game? I came here to hop and bop not tap poo poo and rub a screen. I thought these were supposed to be some kind of weird musical choreography levels anyway?

Roughly every other level is a Murphy level, though as long as you're diligent about saving the teensies, you'll very rarely have to actually do one. The music levels are at the end of each world, one for each with the exception of the absolute final world.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Artix posted:

Roughly every other level is a Murphy level, though as long as you're diligent about saving the teensies, you'll very rarely have to actually do one. The music levels are at the end of each world, one for each with the exception of the absolute final world.

fffffffffffffffucking horseshit.

Sigh. I guess they are't...BAD. They just aren't fun either.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

fffffffffffffffucking horseshit.

Sigh. I guess they are't...BAD. They just aren't fun either.

Murphy is pretty heavy at the start, but becomes less used as the game progresses.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some tidbits from the ongoing investor briefing:

-"Mario Kart TV" app coming to smart devices, will let you view replays, records etc on your phone

-June firmware update will reduce load times by ~20 seconds; allow for NFC eShop payment via SUICA in Japan

-Will be showing NFC figurines/games at E3; they're being referred to as "NFP" (Near-Field Product) and will be character-themed figurines that can carry save data across multiple games. Will work natively on Wii U and will also be made available for 3DS via an IR NFC reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mario Kart 8 thread

• Locked thread