Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm probably using the word wrong, but I'm nonplussed about Ganke. He's a necessary sounding board for Miles. I dont l Ike him, but I don't hate him. He's basically Foggy if Miles was the new Daredevil instead of Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Fat friend, yes. Funny, no. But if Ganke works for you, I can agree to disagree.

To me, even his role as sounding board seems diminished by Jessica Drew, MJ, and everyone else on the team. They're all young heroes with reservations about being heroes in the first place.

It ties into the bigger problem of Miles being slotted in to Peter's supporting cast for the most part. His mom's dead, his dad is AWOL, his uncle was bad news and is dead, and all your left with is, ...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah its really hard to get out of a character shadow when your supporting cast is his basically.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Ganke is Miles's Foggy Nelson. He'd be more useful if Miles wasn't rapidly developing a massive supporting cast, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't dislike Ganke but I don't really like him either. He just sort of exists.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't dislike Ganke but I don't really like him either. He just sort of exists.
He acts like an annoying little brother and always brings up "But I make your web shooters!" but at least that's a realistic character. A lot of side-kick type characters all act the same so it's nice to see something different.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've lapsed on Ultimate Spidey due to all the crossover nonsense. Anything ever come with that fan theory that Ganke is in the closet?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The fact that he has crushes on girls and keeps commenting on which girl he thinks is hot I would say no.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I've lapsed on Ultimate Spidey due to all the crossover nonsense. Anything ever come with that fan theory that Ganke is in the closet?

There's been a few jokes about Miles' dad mistaking Miles/Ganke for a couple but nothing serious about it.

fake edit: Just read the issue. They loving did it.:allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

The fact that he has crushes on girls and keeps commenting on which girl he thinks is hot I would say no.
Because no child struggling with his or her sexuality has overcompensated.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Endless Mike posted:

Because no child struggling with his or her sexuality has overcompensated.

But nothing has shown him struggling? The thinking he's gay seems like fan wishing rather than anything that's actually been shown in the books. And I think just throwing in a surprise he's gay out of nowhere later would be pretty dumb. Him being Miles' Foggy is probably the best example.

And since the book is out Peter very clearly isn't back and it's just a fake out by the Chameleon.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 7, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I thought they came out and said it explicitly? I can't remember what issue though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I thought they came out and said it explicitly? I can't remember what issue though.

Someone (Miles' dad?) said they thought Miles and Ganke were a couple.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah that's just the same kind of dumb joke/comment that was made in 616 when Aunt May found out about Peter and was all "oh I thought you were hiding something in the closet but never that it was a Spider-Man costume".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

But nothing has shown him struggling? The thinking he's gay seems like fan wishing rather than anything that's actually been shown in the books. And I think just throwing in a surprise he's gay out of nowhere later would be pretty dumb. Him being Miles' Foggy is probably the best example.

And since the book is out Peter very clearly isn't back and it's just a fake out by the Chameleon.
I don't disagree with you in the least. There's been no indications that Ganke is gay. My point was mostly that showing interest towards the opposite sex doesn't really preclude it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Endless Mike posted:

I don't disagree with you in the least. There's been no indications that Ganke is gay. My point was mostly that showing interest towards the opposite sex doesn't really preclude it.
Then why bring it up at all? It was a one-off joke that was supposed to be a one-off joke.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The best joke was Miles realizing Ganke's right that Dagger is hot. David draws the best faces.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So, even as a cover, does it make sense that Peter would be in Miles' apartment picking stuff up? Miles got his gear from Fury, right? Does he have Peter's old webshooters or am I remembering that wrong? Also, how do the Chameleons know Miles is Spider-Man or where Miles lives?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Inkspot posted:

So, even as a cover, does it make sense that Peter would be in Miles' apartment picking stuff up? Miles got his gear from Fury, right? Does he have Peter's old webshooters or am I remembering that wrong? Also, how do the Chameleons know Miles is Spider-Man or where Miles lives?

He does have Peter's web shooters. The last question will be answered by the arc. They did know Peter was Spider-Man, and that mystery person watching them all from the bushes in 200 could have been one of them and put it together.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Argh. That makes total sense. I should start reading all the Ultimate books twice before posting. Or just not read them at all. But then I'd miss Fiffe's mainstream debut and Ultimate Crossbones.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I saw a theory somewhere online that it's a clone with Doc Ock's memories implanted. Dumb theory, but I would laugh my rear end off if that was true. (Of course it isn't, though, right?)

radlum
May 13, 2013
I read the new Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man; I liked it (except for the final page, I hope it's a mislead), but I felt I've missed a LOT of what was going on in the Ultimate Universe, since I dropped the book in the Venom arc. Can someone summarize what's been going on in Miles Morales life?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I saw a theory somewhere online that it's a clone with Doc Ock's memories implanted. Dumb theory, but I would laugh my rear end off if that was true. (Of course it isn't, though, right?)

"I will become a Superior Spider-Man...The Ultimate Superior Spider-Man!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Inkspot posted:

Also, how do the Chameleons know Miles is Spider-Man or where Miles lives?

Miles mentioned he goes to his apartment every single day, so I guess them stalking for a little while would lead to figuring out where to meet him.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Flameingblack posted:

Then why bring it up at all? It was a one-off joke that was supposed to be a one-off joke.

Kate Bishop also asked Miles if he realized that Ganke had a thing for him in issue 25:

It got brushed off as a gag, but I kinda liked the idea of the overweight kid carrying a torch for his friend. It was sweet, and took out the creep factor that a lot of "sidekick"-type roles have in comics (at least they're age appropriate).

Linking this to the latest issue:

quote:

David draws the best faces.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's no way the last page reveal is what it seems. On the other hand, Norman escaping is the kinda poo poo I would expect Fury to be on top of but then I remember SHIELD is no more soooo who exactly is dealing with poo poo like this now?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There's no way the last page reveal is what it seems.

Remember, never trust the two C's-Covers and Cliffhangers-unless there are blurbs saying "Not a hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!", and even then don't forget the possibility of robots, clones, alien doppelgangers, or visitors from alternate dimensions.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The FF, maybe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Remember, never trust the two C's-Covers and Cliffhangers-unless there are blurbs saying "Not a hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!", and even then don't forget the possibility of robots, clones, alien doppelgangers, or visitors from alternate dimensions.

Or shapeshifter that we saw earlier in the issue!! Yeah with Shield gone expect a lot of poo poo to come out, and Fury will be needed to clean it up.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The art has always been Ultimate Spider-Man's strong suit.

Edit: Really gonna have to start quoting folks more. Didn't realize how necessary it is sometimes. There's a reason I'm just a Stupid Newbie.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 8, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Inkspot posted:

The Bugle running "Spider-Man Twins Crime Spree Continues!" as a headline. Is JJJ going to have to learn to be nice to superheroes again? How many more times will he drink away and then relearn this lesson?

I don't really think that headline is unjustified. They're twins dressed in very Spidey-esque costumes and they're on a crime spree. Cut it, print it, page 1. MISS BRANT GET ME A COFFEE

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I don't really think that headline is unjustified. They're twins dressed in very Spidey-esque costumes and they're on a crime spree. Cut it, print it, page 1. MISS BRANT GET ME A COFFEE

Way to be a dick JJJ, as Miss Brant is dead.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Way to be a dick JJJ, as Miss Brant is dead.

Wait, her too?? drat, Ultimate Robbie's dead, too, does UJJJ have anyone left? :smith:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TwoPair posted:

He's learned that Spider-Man is not a menace. Neither of them. Repeatedly. And I know hating Spider-Man and half-assed reporting is his schtick, but he's only, what, two or three weeks out from being rescued from that plane during Cataclysm?

Not an exact equivalent, but if two guys in turbans and beards robbed a bank and the headline the next day read "Osama Twins Take Out A Loan!" the paper would have something to answer for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Inkspot posted:

He's learned that Spider-Man is not a menace. Neither of them. Repeatedly. And I know hating Spider-Man and half-assed reporting is his schtick, but he's only, what, two or three weeks out from being rescued from that plane during Cataclysm?

Not an exact equivalent, but if two guys in turbans and beards robbed a bank and the headline the next day read "Osama Twins Take Out A Loan!" the paper would have something to answer for.

Unless it was the New York Post, in which case they would not give two shits about doing exactly that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, her too?? drat, Ultimate Robbie's dead, too, does UJJJ have anyone left? :smith:

Venom killed her a while ago.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Inkspot posted:

Miles got Peter's original web-shooters from Aunt May, and SHIELD crafted ones (which I think are the pair he actually uses) from Jessica Drew.

And to chime in on the 200th issue discussion, I think one of the strongest things about the Miles version of this book is that the original characters who were close to Peter are still relevant. One of the best parts of USM has always been the supporting cast, and I think the Miles side of things stands up to and mixes well with the old characters from Peter's time as Spidey. And as far as getting out of Parker's shadow goes, give the character time. I'm sure Bendis has plans.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 10, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm bummed that Ganke and Gwen aren't a thing. That was adorable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I'm bummed that Ganke and Gwen aren't a thing. That was adorable.

Don't they have a fairly major age difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Don't they have a fairly major age difference?

Like what, 2 years?

• Locked thread