Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PublicOpinion posted:

So I'm cooping at Smelty D to test out toxic mist on him (it takes a couple casts to stick but it wrecks him but good). The host summons Lucatiel, which is pretty common, and heads into the fog door. I'm sort of standing in Lucatiel's way casting flash sweat on myself and she just up and marches right off the edge into the lava. We won anyway, but I imagine the host was unpleasantly surprised to see "Phantom Lucatiel of Mirrah vanquished" before she even gets into the fight.
I had something similar happen to me, except I was running just by myself with Lucatiel and she simply refused to step foot inside the fog door and eventually just died somehow while I was beating Ol' Butt-For-a-Face's fore-posterior in with a mace. Thankfully, that was the only boss I missed with her since I was able to make it up in Black Gulch.

I also tried dragging her along to Old Iron King but she apparently gets very nervous on bridges and has a crippling fear of ladders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PublicOpinion posted:

As far as I know. I don't think there's any weapons that inflict it like DS1 had.

How forgiving is it? Do you have to make sure to dust him for the entirety of the cloud or can he move out of it a little

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Spudd posted:

Use a Shotsword since it has a stabby motion, bam no more problem with hitting the wall.

Yes, use multiple weapons for situations.

I'm using the Heide Knight Sword, upgraded as much as I could with Titanite Shards. But I guess that's not a short sword, I think it was a straight sword? It kills the sword hollows in 3 hits and the big mummy guys in 6 hits. The issue is that I have to fight 2-3 of those sword guys simultaneously, and I have a lot less reach than them. While I'm trying to take a swing at the guy in the front, the ones in the back can easily kill me from that distance.

Also I really want to use Greatswords and other big heavy-hitting weapons, but I haven't found any yet.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Why the hell is the Pursuer where the Smelter Demon was? Caught me totally by surprise :stare:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Alan Smithee posted:

How forgiving is it? Do you have to make sure to dust him for the entirety of the cloud or can he move out of it a little

Seems pretty forgiving, but it's taken two casts to stick when I tried it (I haven't tried it too much because I made this character to coop with a friend and don't want to out-soul him). He's happy to stay in one place as long as you dodge close to him and I'm assuming the defense boost he gets while powering up doesn't apply to status effects so I usually hit him with it then.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

lordfrikk posted:

Why the hell is the Pursuer where the Smelter Demon was? Caught me totally by surprise :stare:

There is more than one as far as I know, especially in NG+.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Office Thug posted:

I'm using the Heide Knight Sword, upgraded as much as I could with Titanite Shards. But I guess that's not a short sword, I think it was a straight sword? It kills the sword hollows in 3 hits and the big mummy guys in 6 hits. The issue is that I have to fight 2-3 of those sword guys simultaneously, and I have a lot less reach than them. While I'm trying to take a swing at the guy in the front, the ones in the back can easily kill me from that distance.

Also I really want to use Greatswords and other big heavy-hitting weapons, but I haven't found any yet.

Yeah that that has the Longsword animation. I didn't start seeing good big weapons for a little while.

The dudes there have barely any poise so a strong attack from a shortsword will stun them, use that stun time to dodge back and be aware of backing up and stuff. It's not great advice but it's the best I can give, you learn these skills over time.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Office Thug posted:

You might have missed the one located in the broken ledge part past the broken head after the standard Pursuer fight. It's the Drangleic set. Of course, with any weapon you use, you need to be comfortable with the moveset while keeping jump, backstep, and roll attacks in mind.

Edit: Halberd Hollows in Forest of the Fallen Giants also have a chance of dropping their weapon if you have a desire to try and test your luck. It's a good weapon. You'll find it in another place eventually though.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 7, 2014

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Office Thug posted:

You can get a pretty good one early on. Right after that Pursuer fight, actually, along with some pretty great armor. It takes Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, though, which is kind of a pain to get in any significant quantity early on.

Otherwise, I'd try using a simple mace. Short-ish reach, but hits like a truck, especially upgraded and/or power stanced. You can also get a Large Club (which is also great) fairly soon if you decide to keep going in Lost Bastille.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alan Smithee posted:

If you haven't done Heide's Tower do that first. Bastille is actually notorious for a lot of new players if you haven't gotten used to your build.

A less sadistic game would have had hinted (or outright told) people to go to Heide's after the Last Giant, I think.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you want to gently caress with bellbros, chameleon somewhere in the tower.

They will spend FOREVER looking for you.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

If you want to gently caress with bellbros, chameleon somewhere in the tower.

They will spend FOREVER looking for you.

That spell is the best God drat spell in the game. In any other playthrough I do, I'm going to have to get that spell.

And having Great Lightning Spear and Dark Fog in a fully activated Doors of Pharros is incredibly unfair. :getin:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

A bit of modest Fashion Souls:

I definitely need the Heide Knight legs and helmet to go with that, though I like the way that helmet matches. Gotta find slightly better-matching pants before NG+...they're out there somewhere.

And for a lighter load:

I need Cale's chest to match all that studded leather just but dammit, I ain't killin' my mapbro. This Heir to the Sun don't roll that way.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh poo poo.

Just watching Kay's latest video and I realised I killed Gavlan on my game. I shot him from outside the building thinking he was an enemy. Have I totally hosed up my game?

He dropped a sweet axe though. On my dex-faith build :negative:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I know there's no cheating involved or anything - but gently caress the guys that summon you to fight 3v1 as a red phantom.

Makes beating them all single-handedly all the sweeter though :allears:

Also gently caress a guy called Sosacher, he's the biggest culprit.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Cactus posted:

Oh poo poo.

Just watching Kay's latest video and I realised I killed Gavlan on my game. I shot him from outside the building thinking he was an enemy. Have I totally hosed up my game?

He dropped a sweet axe though. On my dex-faith build :negative:

You're an awful human being, but you've only really hosed up if you intended to use a lot of poison.

PublicOpinion posted:

As far as I know. I don't think there's any weapons that inflict it like DS1 had.

I was led to believe Mytha's blade does toxic and poison.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rudager posted:

My problem is similar, I'm Sl105 or so, I just got the 4 great souls and unlocked the gates, but I'm also loving terrible so I end up clearing just about every area until they despawn. I'm SM 1.25m and I have no human effigy's, and I also can't reset my health bar because I literally put a summon sign down in front of Iron King for 20 minutes, Smelter Demon for 15 and Freja for 25 and never got summoned once. My only guess is that my SM is way to high, which seems to be backed up by this thread.

You should get plenty of summons when you get to Drangleic Castle. I'm grinding out most of my Sunlight Medals by sitting my rear end down in front of Mirror Knight and I get summoned about every 2-5 minutes with roughly 1.3 million SM.

Also, I'd really, really just wear the Ring of Life Protection if you're not good at this game (like me). The price you pay to repair it is nothing compared to the peace of mind of not having to stress out about getting your bloodstain back every time, and constantly being at full HP and able to summon people is a tremendous help. It changed the game from being a frustrating slog to being more than tolerable, and even fun in a lot of places.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you run out of effigies or are close to, why not use the ring of life protection? Also you get a 6pack of effigies from the firekeepers once you reach the castle.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Vermain posted:

You should get plenty of summons when you get to Drangleic Castle. I'm grinding out most of my Sunlight Medals by sitting my rear end down in front of Mirror Knight and I get summoned about every 2-5 minutes with roughly 1.3 million SM.

Also, I'd really, really just wear the Ring of Life Protection if you're not good at this game (like me). The price you pay to repair it is nothing compared to the peace of mind of not having to stress out about getting your bloodstain back every time, and constantly being at full HP and able to summon people is a tremendous help. It changed the game from being a frustrating slog to being more than tolerable, and even fun in a lot of places.

Or just run past everything. That makes the game less of a slog for me! I'm at level 95 @ 950k SM, and I only level up after boss kills.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

If you can reliably kill them, the skeletons in the basement at majula will always drop an effigy, and each time you ascetic an extra one spawns, so if you do it 10 times you'll have 10 effigies from the the last time, 9 from the ascetic before and so on, but be warned they do start hitting really drat hard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Actually it maxes out at 8 skeletons. Also good luck if you plan on using the crushed eye orb!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

david... posted:

I was led to believe Mytha's blade does toxic and poison.

Huh, didn't know that.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Actually it maxes out at 8 skeletons. Also good luck if you plan on using the crushed eye orb!

Ah ok I'd just extrapolated, still that's a lot of effigies, also only jerks use the crushed eye orb...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

david... posted:

You're an awful human being, but you've only really hosed up if you intended to use a lot of poison.

I don't so that's good to know. Wish I could use that axe he dropped though...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What am I supposed to do against the second ghost in the third dark chasm who attacks 10 times per second? I can stunlock the Havel knockoff but that second guy just clips through my Large Club and machinegun stabs me until I'm dead.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Asehujiko posted:

What am I supposed to do against the second ghost in the third dark chasm who attacks 10 times per second? I can stunlock the Havel knockoff but that second guy just clips through my Large Club and machinegun stabs me until I'm dead.

Are you talking about the one with like two huge fuckoff maces?

I think a weapon with decent reach should be good, I think I cheesed him by switching to a mastodon sword and swinging it whenever he was within range, causing him to start rolling away.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
The best part about dex builds is being able to do this cool spinny thing.

http://gfycat.com/KindheartedWeirdHart

:iia:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Babyface Mingo posted:

Are you talking about the one with like two huge fuckoff maces?

I think a weapon with decent reach should be good, I think I cheesed him by switching to a mastodon sword and swinging it whenever he was within range, causing him to start rolling away.
No the sword and shield guy.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nahxela posted:

There's a literal hook weapon called the Work Hook. I think you are obligated to use it.

If you have a decent sense of direction in Gutter, dropping from Majula straight to there (skipping Saint's Grave) and hopping down to Gulch is probably the fastest branch. Additionally, if you just wanted the Pursuer's Soul, you could fight him in that early encounter and not need to do Last Giant, so you can do something like Pursuer -> buy catfall ring -> go down to Gulch for the branch -> Dragon Rider -> Wharf -> Bastille.

If you wanna get really bullshitty, start with a bonfire ascetic, do the walk-off trick on the Dragonrider, burn the ascetic at Heide's, do it again, then buy your Silvercat Ring with roughly 20K souls left over to level with. To deal with the Gutter's poison, just make sure you get the Divine Blessings in Majula and Heide's and there's 3 poison mosses on the way down the hole.

Edit: You might want to kill Old Dragonslayer before burning the ascetic or getting to him will be kind of a pain in the rear end. Burning the Ascetic at the Ruins will NOT level up Old Dragonslayer, his bonfire is the Cathedral of Blue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

armoredgorilla posted:

To deal with the Gutter's poison, just make sure you get the Divine Blessings in Majula and Heide's and there's 3 poison mosses on the way down the hole..

Don't use the blessing if you think anything is in a ten mile range of attacking you or you're hosed though. It's suicide to use in combat, as I can attest. With other healing items though, how much longer do radiant/old radiant lifegems heal you for from regular ones? I finally used a few and noticed I didn't heal any faster, so they must heal longer. And what about rouge water/dragon charms? Are they as slow to use/heal as blessings? I've really not had much need for anything but a lifegem here and there and an estus chug now and then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mazed posted:

A bit of modest Fashion Souls:

I definitely need the Heide Knight legs and helmet to go with that, though I like the way that helmet matches. Gotta find slightly better-matching pants before NG+...they're out there somewhere.

And for a lighter load:

I need Cale's chest to match all that studded leather just but dammit, I ain't killin' my mapbro. This Heir to the Sun don't roll that way.

Wow you actually managed to make a dark skinned character using From's creation tools that doesn't look like a complete mutant. Good job!

And there's nothing wrong with Modest, Practical Fashion Souls :wink:

e: argh i can't believe the servers came up five minutes after i went to bed last night. here i was all ready to Sunbro some peeps through Smelter but instead i had to fall back and beat some optional bosses

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
In Drangleic Castle, do the ruin sentinels or stone spearmen with shields ever go extinct by the first bonfire?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Wow this is a really cool way to think about the memories that I didn't really consider

Don't have a shred of proof, but I personally like to think that the attack that destroys your family and "kills" you for the first time in the opening cutscene is actually giants (if not necessarily the ones that attack Drangleic), which makes going through the memories and kicking rear end all the more satisfying.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mariposa posted:

In Drangleic Castle, do the ruin sentinels or stone spearmen with shields ever go extinct by the first bonfire?

Everything will eventually, they just take 10+ kills or so.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love dual wielding so much, but losing the utility of magic spells such as chameleon isn't fun, but then I spread my stats too far to accommodate attunement and and and and and and :negative:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Everything will eventually, they just take 10+ kills or so.

I've killed the stone ones over that. I don't think they can go extinct because you need them to open one of the doors.

poptart_fairy posted:

I love dual wielding so much, but losing the utility of magic spells such as chameleon isn't fun, but then I spread my stats too far to accommodate attunement and and and and and and :negative:

Do what I do: I'm power stancing dragon tooth and I'm going to use spices to get all the magic I want. I only need 10 intelligence to use the worst spell catalyst.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 7, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hrmm maybe but I know once you open the doors some of the stone ones just stop appearing straight away.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FrickenMoron posted:

Its your own fault for not exploring enough.

Eh, to be fair it's not terribly clear that there are other areas you're expected to go to after the Giant. The leap between those soldiers outside Pursuer's 'lair' and everything beyond him is huge, given you get the key from an otherwise simple boss.

Iretep posted:

Do what I do: I'm power stancing dragon tooth and I'm going to use spices to get all the magic I want. I only need 10 intelligence to use the worst spell catalyst.

Oh poo poo, I forgot clear about spices! I might re-roll just to have Swordsman as my class rather than Sorcerer though. MY IMMERSION.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Playing as a hex/magic/pyro/faith caster; I've got vigor to 20, attunement to 30, and intelligence and faith both to 40. Strength's minimum for a mace (12), but all of the other stats are baseline for a sorcerer class. Should I keep pumping intelligence and faith? Attunement? Adaptability? Sitting at 93 agility at the moment with under 40% equipment load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

My PC Collectors Edition arrived today short a soundtrack CD and DLC code, has anyone else had this problem? I've sent off an email to Namco Bandai support but I don't have a clue how successful I'll be as I doubt they'll want to mail me a disc or anything.