Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Has anyone been able to sequence the microbrute with volca keys through gate trigger? I found this video which seems like it's possible, but I can't figure out how to latch the sequencer like that, I have to keep the key pressed to run the sequencer, and the env trigger only plays one note from the volca:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSbeEKCNG0

Do I need to change the settings through the PC interface or something? I haven't plugged it into a computer yet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: How do I get the tempo synced up between my Mininova and Ableton? Like, if I could control Ableton's tempo setting with the tempo knob on my Mininova, that would be perfect. Can I even do that? I've got the Mininova plugged in through USB right now and Ableton's got it listed under its MIDI devices, but I can't figure out how to control Ableton stuff with the Mininova.

Say I record an arp patch into Ableton through my Mbox. That's fine, I can do that. But I can't seem to get the tempos to match up, so like if I record a bass track, the timing will be off.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
In config on the input, turn sync on, type MIDI clock. There's an EXT button in the main UI somewhere up top that turns on MIDI machine control listening, light that up. Then tempo and transport will be controlled by the mininova.

e- Just looked, she doesn't have transport controls so I guess this don't make much sense. Here's Novation's page laying out the arp following Live.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 7, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Startyde posted:

In config on the input, turn sync on, type MIDI clock. There's an EXT button in the main UI somewhere up top that turns on MIDI machine control listening, light that up. Then tempo and transport will be controlled by the mininova.

e- Just looked, she doesn't have transport controls so I guess this don't make much sense. Here's Novation's page laying out the arp following Live.
Hmmm, okay I've done all that and now the Mininova says "External Clock!" when I try to turn its tempo knob, but I can't record anything new or play any tracks I've recorded previously :confused: The play and record buttons appear to be on when I press them but they do nothing.

Also changing the tempo in Ableton doesn't seem to be affecting what I'm playing on the Mininova at all yet, but maybe it's just not hooked up correctly.

e: Wait, I turned EXT off and now it works? Haha this is all too confusing but whatever, at least it seems to be working now.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 7, 2014

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

sliderule posted:

I just wish the DX7 let you modulate the operator ratio.

DX200 in your future.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

A MIRACLE posted:

Do I need to change the settings through the PC interface or something?

Yes, you can change the behavior of the sequencer and some other things through the software only :-/

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Oldstench posted:

So...what have you guys done with your equipment lately?
http://vimeo.com/93923609

Used softsynths instead. On that note, I'm selling the following based out of Seattle, though I guess I can deliver to Honolulu if Sizone wants something:

Moog Slim Phatty
TB-303
Electrix Filter Factory
Wavestation WS-1 (:cry:)
Monotribe
Euro: Harvestman Polivoks filter, A-190 midi-to-CV, Sound Modular case

I'm open to offers and I can post more pictures when I'm back in North America. Also I'm looking for a non-Behringer mixer if someone wants a partial trade. But yeah, send me a message if you're interested unless you're Dotcom Jillionaire in which case send me like 130% of the inevitable lowball.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 7, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

0dB posted:

DX200 in your future.

One up on craigslist for 450 (CAD), which is a no-go for me. What are they actually worth?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

sliderule posted:

One up on craigslist for 450 (CAD), which is a no-go for me. What are they actually worth?

Half, at most.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Just got my first automatic copyright takedown on soundcloud. Muh robot farts sound like some rap song apparently.
Happened on upload which seems odd. Don't they lose any kind of indemnity protection as a service if they're filtering for copyright violations?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Messing around with the synths over the weekend turned into a little cover of Julius by Starfucker. That's one of the few songs I've heard by them, but I actually like it. I was surprised how it sounds with so little gear. JX-3P is doing triple duty. Playing back in realtime, and I was just messing around with the reverb on the DEP-5. Quantization messed up one of the notes in the chorus, but I was too tired to fix it. Fumbled around with free mastering plugins once it was recorded.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/julius-jx-3p-sh-101-tr-707-dep-5

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Startyde posted:

Just got my first automatic copyright takedown on soundcloud. Muh robot farts sound like some rap song apparently.
Happened on upload which seems odd. Don't they lose any kind of indemnity protection as a service if they're filtering for copyright violations?

Only editorial control qualifies for the loss of safe harbor protections. If you're doing some kind of automated thing, and it misses something, you're still OK.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Fors Yard posted:

Messing around with the synths over the weekend turned into a little cover of Julius by Starfucker. That's one of the few songs I've heard by them, but I actually like it. I was surprised how it sounds with so little gear. JX-3P is doing triple duty. Playing back in realtime, and I was just messing around with the reverb on the DEP-5. Quantization messed up one of the notes in the chorus, but I was too tired to fix it. Fumbled around with free mastering plugins once it was recorded.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/julius-jx-3p-sh-101-tr-707-dep-5

Sounds good man. Oooh how I wanted an MC-500 when I was a kid.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

So...what have you guys done with your equipment lately?
http://vimeo.com/93923609

This is really cool and everyone should watch this.

net work error fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 8, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

net work error posted:

Here's something really cool for everyones morning: http://vimeo.com/93923609

Live drum and bass with the drum set controlled by CV and featuring a really cool System-100.

It was posted on the previous page, it's very cool. I like the fact there's 2 videos on the page separated by 2 years, I like to think it took that long to assemble everything! The other video is completely different gear though, god knows where they have the space (and money!) for all of this.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was posted on the previous page, it's very cool. I like the fact there's 2 videos on the page separated by 2 years, I like to think it took that long to assemble everything! The other video is completely different gear though, god knows where they have the space (and money!) for all of this.

Well crap this is what I get for not clicking on Vimeo. I'll edit it up now thanks for bringing me up to speed.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Used softsynths instead. On that note, I'm selling the following based out of Seattle, though I guess I can deliver to Honolulu if Sizone wants something:

Moog Slim Phatty
TB-303
Electrix Filter Factory
Wavestation WS-1 (:cry:)
Monotribe
Euro: Harvestman Polivoks filter, A-190 midi-to-CV, Sound Modular case

I'm open to offers and I can post more pictures when I'm back in North America. Also I'm looking for a non-Behringer mixer if someone wants a partial trade. But yeah, send me a message if you're interested unless you're Dotcom Jillionaire in which case send me like 130% of the inevitable lowball.
I'm gonna claim that I have dibs on the 303 before Dotcom Jillionaire. :colbert: Maybe we can knife fight about it, Jets vs. Sharks style.

In any event, I'm in Seattle, so yeah, consider me interested. Maybe in some of the non-303 stuff too, but I have to do more research there.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Just as a heads up, I've only got about a week in Seattle coming up. I'm in Tokyo now and I'm off to Honolulu on the 26th or so, so let me know if you want to meet up in that window I'm in Seattle at all. :buddy:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just got my Machinedrum. :woop: Man I'm going to spend alot of time learning this thing, it's got so many sounds and options and possibilities and routing and *breathes heavily into a bag*

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I fancy a little drum machine to go with the TT303 and the Volca Beats seems ideal. I want to be able to start,stop and sync the two machines without having to muck around with my DAW and midi and all that. The TT has gate and cv connections - the Beats has a 'sync' connection. Are these two machines 'compatible' so to speak? Is it just a matter of plugging one into the other and away we go?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm not that familiar with the TT but I don't think it's got dinsync out. I know it has MIDI out, I'd just use that. If you decide to get another volca down the line you can just sync out from the beats and it'll lock.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Startyde posted:

I'm not that familiar with the TT but I don't think it's got dinsync out. I know it has MIDI out, I'd just use that. If you decide to get another volca down the line you can just sync out from the beats and it'll lock.

[C3PO]Oh poo poo, the splitter cable...I'd completely forgot.[C3PO]

Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone auto mapped Omnisphere before? I've got a layout for an SL series that has 16 encoders and I've moved things around to suit my 8 encoders but I'm not sure if it's really feasible.

Each instance has up to 8 instruments, each instruments has 2 layers and each layer has say 50 controllable elements. I've got it to work fine so far on Instrument 1 Layer 1, but beyond that it's not picking things up. But even if I could, I'd be looking at about 100 pages or so of maps which seems ridiculous if I want to cover the lot.

I think I'm happy with just having Instrument 1: Layer A/B having controls and then I can push them to other instrument banks as needed while I work on the other elements. Anyone done similar? Messing about with the filters and building stuff from scratch even on a single layer yesterday with my controller was super fun.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone auto mapped Omnisphere before? I've got a layout for an SL series that has 16 encoders and I've moved things around to suit my 8 encoders but I'm not sure if it's really feasible.

Each instance has up to 8 instruments, each instruments has 2 layers and each layer has say 50 controllable elements. I've got it to work fine so far on Instrument 1 Layer 1, but beyond that it's not picking things up. But even if I could, I'd be looking at about 100 pages or so of maps which seems ridiculous if I want to cover the lot.

I think I'm happy with just having Instrument 1: Layer A/B having controls and then I can push them to other instrument banks as needed while I work on the other elements. Anyone done similar? Messing about with the filters and building stuff from scratch even on a single layer yesterday with my controller was super fun.

I haven't used Omnisphere but as far as Automap is concerned I think the best you can do is just add more pages to the profile. While Automap will happily leap around from plugin to plugin I don't think you can create profiles within profiles - if I'm understanding correctly what you want to do. And by the sounds of it there are so many controls it will always be quicker just to grab the mouse than hunt through page after page of obscure and rarely used mappings.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is to make multiple sets of files to load in based on what I want to do. I'm thinking there's a limitation between Omnisphere and Automap as it can only find 250 or so parameters to edit which is like... nowhere close to the amount that it actually supports. Maybe enough are supported for (eventual) live fun though, and that's what counts.

I'm hoping more VSTs/VSTis play nicer with it, because it seems a legitimately good bit of software when it does what I expect it to.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
To people who use synths with daws- what kind of midi/recording setup do you guys have to be able to use them together?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Any standard USB-MIDI interface will work, just depends on how many MIDI ports you want. If you want to also record your synths's sounds into your DAW, you'll need an audio interface as well:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599662&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

What's the cheapest CD-based sampler I could get? I made the mistake of adding mellotron parts to a band demo and now my band wants me to play those parts live and I'd rather not take a computer around with me.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Declan MacManus posted:

What's the cheapest CD-based sampler I could get? I made the mistake of adding mellotron parts to a band demo and now my band wants me to play those parts live and I'd rather not take a computer around with me.

Honesty dude, a cheapo laptop or a used ipad would be so much less trouble than a hardware sampler.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sizone posted:

Honesty dude, a cheapo laptop or a used ipad would be so much less trouble than a hardware sampler.

Quotin' this. So much less of a headache than trying to get a 20 year old ESI-2000 work when only a handful of ancient external SCSI CD drives would work well with it. Either get a modern flash-card sampler or use a laptop.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Quotin' this. So much less of a headache than trying to get a 20 year old ESI-2000 work when only a handful of ancient external SCSI CD drives would work well with it. Either get a modern flash-card sampler or use a laptop.

This.

gently caress hardware samplers. So hard.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Number Two Stunna posted:

To people who use synths with daws- what kind of midi/recording setup do you guys have to be able to use them together?

Be dead sure that the MIDI interface can handle multiple access, that is, two or more programs can talk to the gear. That way you can have a sequencer and an editor running at once and it makes things really easy.

Go for multiple MIDI ports up front. Costs more, but ends up saving on misery. When you try use multiple USB-MIDI cables it quickly gets messy as they swap around etc. I'm running multiple MOTU racks. You can try splitters as well.

Although a multi track audio card is nice, it's going to be expensive to get one with enough in ports to have everything in at once and so you may as well get a patch bay, or just get a nice big mixing desk with USB out.

And expect to play for a lot of cabling.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
One of you better buy this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-EX-2...=item258dea54f5

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This thing has a section called "Fun Blocks". How could you NOT want it?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 10, 2014

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

My local Salvation Army had an E-70 for $150 a while back. I looked at it a few times and tried it out, it seemed to work perfectly. The E-70 is basically a CS-80 inside. Add pots and you're in business. I'd have it now but ran out of space a long time ago. In fact, according to http://www.ggbmusic.com/museum/focus4d95-2.html?i=78 the E-70 is an EX-2 in a different case, minus the huge speakers. It does, however retain the all important Fun Blocks.

Anyway, these things (the legendary giant Electones) are all rotting away in church basements, now that everything is converted to multisampled organs. Remove the synth part from the ancient amp/speaker cabinet that makes up base and you too can be Vangelis. Start calling around and you could probably score one for the price of renting the truck to move it.

The other one to look for is the 16 operator HX-1. 16 op FM- nothing else ever had that. A lady near my parents was giving one away last summer, but it was gone by the time I got hold of her.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AnnoyBot posted:

The other one to look for is the 16 operator HX-1. 16 op FM- nothing else ever had that. A lady near my parents was giving one away last summer, but it was gone by the time I got hold of her.

Does it have 6 stage looping envelopes?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Hating on 27s, now samplers. Man.
'Trons will fit on floppies and unexpanded EPSes. I'd go for an EPS or EPS16 because they're great but the easiest would be CD3000, built in CD. If you go computer, get a junky OG iPad, there's an "official" tron app. It's not the best put together but it sounds good.

e- now that I've had coffee, I remembered a dude did that electone conversion getting posted to AHML, this one's an E50 though.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 10, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Most AKAI samplers can easily be upgraded to take compact flash and the later models are fairly easy to work with.
There's just something about the sound of these old machines that keeps me drawing to them. Most of the times I try out my samples in a soft sampler, but when I find what I need, I load them in to the S5K and edit them from there. I don't know, but they just sound better in the overall mix when I do it that way. The sound is very present yet it needs little to no EQ'ing to make it fit in the mix.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Old rear end samplers are awesome. I recently revived my E-mu EIIIXP with a CF card -> SCSI adapter after it's old SCSI drive went kaput. Works great now.

Number Two Stunna posted:

My USB interface is an RME Babyface with only a single MIDI input/output. I send the MIDI output to a MIDI thru box (Korg KMT-60) which splits the signal off to all my instruments, daisy-chaining MIDI input -> MIDI thru where necessary since I have so many synths. For the longest time I just daisy-chained all my synths together without a MIDI thru box until I ran into problems with MIDI data getting corrupted towards the end of the line. 'Course if your interface has multiple MIDI outputs you don't need to worry about that.

Audio from my instruments goes to a mixer (I'm back to the trusty Mackie LM3204 after deciding I can't live without all its stereo inputs), then back to my USB interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

For those of a mind to hate on hardware samplers what better way to indulge than from the safety of your armchair?

http://soniccharge.com/forum/index.php?/topic/600-cyclone-faq/