Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe, instead of increasing the gems needed for the ritual or increasing the level needed for it (Thaum5), they should nerf the effect a bit. A turn is a season, so BoT is increasing the aging by a factor of 20, maybe it should be a factor of 8.

A turn is a month actually, it's increasing it by 60. You get a birthday every 6 days :yotj:

amuayse fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

A turn is a month actually, it's increasing it by 60. You get a birthday every 6 days :yotj:

Uhh... right. What I was thinking. Other game.

I haven't played Dom4 in a while. Waiting now for the Caelum patch.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Are there any bad habits that games against the AI will get me into? Anything the AI does strangely that you'll never see in a real game?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

ChickenWing posted:

Are there any bad habits that games against the AI will get me into? Anything the AI does strangely that you'll never see in a real game?
Basically the AI does everything wrong and it cheats units into play. It also encourages you to turtle up with massive amounts of PD which players can obsolete easily enough.

Really the only thing singleplayer games are good for are testing your initial expansion groups/scripts, and testing out some things to see how they work.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ChickenWing posted:

The AI prefers building really bad indie troops rather than its most powerful nationals. It will also probably not come up with a strategy beyond "throw mans at everyone forever", so you are generally safe to sit on your cap churning out nothing but sacreds and win the game with one fort.

Real players are going to come up with ideas like putting stealthed armies in all of your provinces and set them to attack on the same turn after agreeing to a non-aggression pact, casting powerful globals from an impenetrable island or ocean, posting discovered score graphs that get people scared of each other and fighting when they wouldn't have otherwise, or throwing their pretender at armies over and over with priests set to Call God forever. All of which are strategies that have turned games around.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

The AI isn't very aggressive on the strategic map, except for moving armies very predictably.

This means you don't get much in the way of remote attacks, nor do you get deep strikes by Cloud Trapezing/Teleporting mages (especially dangerous priest-mages like Sidhe Lords/Vanir), and you won't have nations that have either broken into or natively have access to Blood/Nature dropping Rain of Toads/AB dropping Wrath of Pazuzu on your territory to screw with your income and recruitment.

The AI also doesn't do much in the way of assassination or seduction attempts, despite these being some of the most irritating ways a human can deal with your plans (for example, Pan's Dryads with a single gem can cast Swarm, at which point your defending commander is probably dead unless they got off their own summon first).

That was really the first big surprise I got in MP, how disruptive that can be to your piss-poor best-laid plans, and how you have to plan, to some extent, to be able to fight a much larger army with 2/3 of your troops if they're not all guaranteed to arrive because some arsehole commander got seduced/assassinated/Mind Hunted/Earth Attacked/whatever, and your own means of doing that kind of 'strategic' damage are much weaker than your opponent's.

The other thing you find out early is that well-scripted armies backed by competently scripted mages are massively stronger than any size of AI force. You can tell that just from your own expansion and fights in SP past a certain point, but with two people trying to play mindgames with one another, it's a totally different experience.

I don't think playing SP necessarily leads to bad habits, so long as you've been trying out scripts and so on, but it certainly isn't quite the same.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, single player doesn't lead to too many bad habits other than an overreliance on PD. It also doesn't teach you anything about higher-level battle magic and globals since there is no real use for it against the AI. Against a human you'll be hiring mages from as many places as possible on most turns. Against the AI, that doesn't really make much sense.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

How important is the morale bonus/malus with commanders? I.E. if I have a bunch of magic dudes and nothing to lead them with but mages, should I be worrying about that -1 morale?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

How important is the morale bonus/malus with commanders? I.E. if I have a bunch of magic dudes and nothing to lead them with but mages, should I be worrying about that -1 morale?

Earlier before mages and thugs are around to blow everything up, you basically win and lose battles based on morale. It's important for anything that you plan on sending into melee.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Earlier before mages and thugs are around to blow everything up, you basically win and lose battles based on morale. It's important for anything that you plan on sending into melee.

Second question: how do you deal with magical leadership in that case? I'm going to use the specific example of EA TC because it's what I have experience with - if I want to summon the racial water/fire demons, I don't have a magic commander to stick them with. Do I just forge a crown of command (or another magic leadership item, if one exists), or should I be looking for another summon of some sort?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Demon of heavenly fires is ranged so his morale isn't terribly important. Even so, both of them have base 15 which is plenty even with a 1 pt penalty.

You run into problems when you are using normal human types under poor commanders.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Second question: how do you deal with magical leadership in that case? I'm going to use the specific example of EA TC because it's what I have experience with - if I want to summon the racial water/fire demons, I don't have a magic commander to stick them with. Do I just forge a crown of command (or another magic leadership item, if one exists), or should I be looking for another summon of some sort?
You'll have magic command, they'll just probably have a small morale penalty. I think the formula for magic command is 30x Astral Level or 5x any other path, so whoever summoned them is going to be able to cart them along with.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Demon of heavenly fires is ranged so his morale isn't terribly important. Even so, both of them have base 15 which is plenty even with a 1 pt penalty.

You run into problems when you are using normal human types under poor commanders.

jBrereton posted:

You'll have magic command, they'll just probably have a small morale penalty. I think the formula for magic command is 30x Astral Level or 5x any other path, so whoever summoned them is going to be able to cart them along with.

Ah okay. So essentially it's situational, but anything with reasonable above-human morale can take the hit?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah, most magic beings are either really brave or don't care about morale at all, so it's a minor issue.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Ah okay. So essentially it's situational, but anything with reasonable above-human morale can take the hit?
Right, I wouldn't fret about it.

The only nation which has real problems with magic leadership is Kailasa, with their sacred troops, and their problem isn't to do with morale, it's to do with the frailty and scarcity of their magic leaders and blessers.

Oh and LA Rlyeh I guess, but their problem is more "Oh christ I have so much poo poo to put around the place how do I even".

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Depends on your base morale I'd say. Never put your morale 9-10 troops with a lovely commander like that. If they are already 15 morale they aren't going to care if they get -1 or +2 to morale either.

Of course it doesn't hurt that your front-line is a 15 base morale with a +2 morale commander. Just remember that formations are USUALLY worth it(unless they are in aforementioned 9-10 range), because formations like line and spread makes it less likely that stuff like spells and arrows will hit your dudes, which means less casualties meaning less morale tests. But they have to hold once they get into melee of course.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MrBims posted:

Real players are going to come up with ideas like putting stealthed armies in all of your provinces and set them to attack on the same turn after agreeing to a non-aggression pact

Dishonor upon the foe who does this. Also if you do it to me I'll probably make you attack on sight forever because I'm a petty vindictive prick like that. :colbert:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kitfox88 posted:

Dishonor upon the foe who does this. Also if you do it to me I'll probably make you attack on sight forever because I'm a petty vindictive prick like that. :colbert:

Such is Dominions, where Internet Honor actually counts for something.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Is that before or after you put all your PD up to 100 :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

That's not just dishonor the foe is recieving.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you agree to a NAP you ain't much.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah sometimes you gotta break NAPs because the game hangs in the balance but in general having a reputation as someone who keeps their deals is a very good idea. I backstab people who I'm ostensibly friendly with all the time, but I don't think I've ever betrayed a formal NAP and would never betray a transaction.

Being someone who is reliable with regards to actual alliances and knowing I can demand the same from others is a super useful trait to have, especially since many maps reward permanent alliances with your nearest neighbor.

The only reasons I would betray an NAP or long-term alliance:
1. I think my opponent will win soon if I do not
2. My opponent has just been wrecked and has no chance of recovering and I want to gain some territory out of the deal
3. I think I can win the game off it

I would not do it just to gain some territory or eke out an incremental advantage. The value of having a secure border and being able to establish secure borders with other reliable players is much stronger than the lead I might gain in one game, which would probably be marginal at best and probably worth less than the secure border.

Remember kids: if you spawn next to me and I don't immediately need your territory, offer me an NAP with secure borders! I'll probably gladly agree to it for the duration of the game barring one of the above occurences, which actually aren't all that likely! It's much more likely, if we both play our cards right, that we make it to the endgame since we won't have to fight as much/secure our shared borders at all, and that improves BOTH our win chances by a huge amount - much moreso than if I were to fight and kill you!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

jBrereton posted:

Gotta keep all you honorless curs outta my property. :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Auto-repeat recruitment - good for those of us with poor memories, or a good way to have severe resource/gold mismanagement?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ChickenWing posted:

Auto-repeat recruitment - good for those of us with poor memories, or a good way to have severe resource/gold mismanagement?

If you want to click on unit icons a hundred times every turn because you can't be bothered to look at your Income and Upkeep numbers that are conveniently located at the top of screen, well, ok. Have at it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Both. Just play a nation with really expensive units, and then one without -see the difference. Also ask me about greedy elves and their gold-eating habits. (Man, why do I keep punishing myself by taking nations with elves in them.)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So for masters and slaves, when a slave is being fatigued out and is now a battery of suffering for magical power, how fast does the drain kill them? My tests show that everyone cast above the 200 fatigue limit does 1 hp damage, which isn't that terrible. I figure you all know the numbers or formula by heart.

On a related note, what is the biggest, cheapest pile of hitpoints I can recruit with astral level 1? They don't need to do anything, just sit there in a pile of flesh while I use their life energies for my volcano summoning.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
10 fatigue turns into one damage, I think.

The answer to the second question is a Yogi with an N9 bless. They're 60g for a sacred S1 caster who gets 17hp and 2hp regen (or 40 fatigue, effectively). Every "good" monkey nation gets them.

EA Lanka's Raktapata get 21(!) base hp and are sacred, so 29 and 3 regen at N9, for 80g, but need a slave to get into a communion which makes them logistically slightly more annoying than Yogi.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
For you guys that use it, I have changed hosts for the Dom 4 Data Inspector. It's now hosted on Github. The old site should automatically forward you, but if you have bookmarks you should go ahead and update them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

jBrereton posted:

10 fatigue turns into one damage, I think.

The answer to the second question is a Yogi with an N9 bless. They're 60g for a sacred S1 caster who gets 17hp and 2hp regen (or 40 fatigue, effectively). Every "good" monkey nation gets them.

EA Lanka's Raktapata get 21(!) base hp and are sacred, so 29 and 3 regen at N9, for 80g, but need a slave to get into a communion which makes them logistically slightly more annoying than Yogi.
Centaur sages work really well too. 23 hp, recuperation, and they can regenerate if you get an N random master to cast personal regeneration (I suppose gurus could do this trick too).

Larz posted:

For you guys that use it, I have changed hosts for the Dom 4 Data Inspector. It's now hosted on Github. The old site should automatically forward you, but if you have bookmarks you should go ahead and update them.
Nice, you added sites!

This is probably the greatest resource for bar none, thanks for putting the time in.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

tooterfish posted:

Nice, you added sites!

This is probably the greatest resource for bar none, thanks for putting the time in.

Holy crap I never realised just how many sites there are goddamn. I've never even seen like half of these.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Centaur sages work really well too. 23 hp, recuperation, and they can regenerate if you get an N random master to cast personal regeneration (I suppose gurus could do this trick too).
Can forge an ES random into a Crystal Matrix and get a Pan to cast Strength of Gaia too and all.

On the other hand, LA Pan is still ultra garbage.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Donkringel posted:

So for masters and slaves, when a slave is being fatigued out and is now a battery of suffering for magical power, how fast does the drain kill them? My tests show that everyone cast above the 200 fatigue limit does 1 hp damage, which isn't that terrible. I figure you all know the numbers or formula by heart.

On a related note, what is the biggest, cheapest pile of hitpoints I can recruit with astral level 1? They don't need to do anything, just sit there in a pile of flesh while I use their life energies for my volcano summoning.

Also remember that there's a blood spell that regenerates fatigue. That can be quite handy for communions.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:woop: finally finished reading the big dom3 LP (lilli et al on lparchive). Between that and the volumes of advice I've taken from IRC and this thread, I think I might slowly be figuring things out, although Jesus H Christ I need to start looking a lot more in-depth into magic. If there's anything I took from the LP, it's that having a nigh-comprehensive knowledge of what magic is important and where to find it is 1/2 of a game-winning strategy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

:woop: finally finished reading the big dom3 LP (lilli et al on lparchive). Between that and the volumes of advice I've taken from IRC and this thread, I think I might slowly be figuring things out, although Jesus H Christ I need to start looking a lot more in-depth into magic. If there's anything I took from the LP, it's that having a nigh-comprehensive knowledge of what magic is important and where to find it is 1/2 of a game-winning strategy.

This is something you will likely pick up pretty fast as people proceed to stomp the poo poo out of you with these spells. It's the easiest way to learn their worth :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is something you will likely pick up pretty fast as people proceed to stomp the poo poo out of you with these spells. It's the easiest way to learn their worth :v:
Yeah. Quite.

"Foul Vapours, what even is that"
*non-Ctis army completely loving obliterated within 10-15 turns, mages and all*
"I see."

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
In my case, I have a good idea of what battle magics to look for, as well as plans for thugging since EA Sauromatia can summon Bane Lords and gear them with relative ease, I'm just trying to figure out how to prioritize my research goals.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Just spam ancestors and skeletons with your super duper witch kings.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Something just happened to me in a game that I don't fully understand, so I'm posting it here on the off chance someone can help me to understand it better.

In a giant fight where a friend's bad scripting causes him to cast earthquake twice, I can observe the following:

1. I have 12 Sceleria mages with an S9 bless. After two earthquakes, only one of them has taken hp damage. About half of them still have twist fate left. So, I guess earthquake is dodge-able. In that case, what attack value does it have?

2. My buddy loses about 20 mystics to the double earthquake. Those units have 8 defense. Even if eq is dodge-able, I don't understand how our damage received was so different, unless RNJesus is on my side or I'm missing some important info.

I didn't have any communion master casting flight, ethereal spam or anything like that. The two eq's also happened on the same turn so there was no chance on my side for someone to restore twist fate.

So am I just stupid lucky, or what?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Earthquake hits 50 percent of the battlefield.

• Locked thread