Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Hrmm maybe but I know once you open the doors some of the stone ones just stop appearing straight away.

Yeah, the ones whose soul is used to open the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I want to break the goddamn game over my knee I want to be a Hexer, right? What's the best starting class for that, Sorcerer?

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Something happened to my game after I spoke to the queen; now I can see all of the areas I haven't visited, and all of the bonfires, on my fast travel screen. I tried restarting, and this persists. Is it a bug?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Pursuer exists to get you ready for pvp, check out those lagstabs!

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
I'm so poo poo at this game :smith:

Went through duels losing about twice per win to get 30 red eye orbs. Figured that I'd fare better against people who don't PVP all day. Nope. My record was 5 kills, 2 afk, and 14 losses before I got discouraged and gave up.

Maybe I'll just give up on this dex character and go back to my powerstanced great club guy. I don't know if that would be any better.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mariposa posted:

Something happened to my game after I spoke to the queen; now I can see all of the areas I haven't visited, and all of the bonfires, on my fast travel screen. I tried restarting, and this persists. Is it a bug?

No that's intentional. Not sure why "lore-wise" but it happens to everyone

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FrickenMoron posted:

Pursuer exists to get you ready for pvp, check out those lagstabs!

The same thing happens with the Old Dragonrider's 'gently caress you I'm gunna impale you and hurl you across the room' my two deaths right before I finally killed him were due to that exact kind of lag/hitbox nonsense.

edit: Althoug to be fair, you can see that he actually does connect you as you're rolling with the tip of the sword. But since the game understands this move as a grab and not just a hit it teleports you back into the grab animation. Bullshit, but probably not as much bullshit as PvP lag.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 7, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

So, we meet again, Iron Keep.

The knights have pitiful defence against hexes. I'm running around two-shotting almost everything with dark orbs :black101:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It's great that Great Resonant Soul burns like 2/3rds of your stamina in addition to dealing gently caress-off huge damage when you get hit by one :shepface:

(at least I think it does)

It's really easy to dodge in PvP but occasionally someone casts it while I'm buffing my weapon and it's game loving over for me

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

If I want to break the goddamn game over my knee I want to be a Hexer, right? What's the best starting class for that, Sorcerer?

Your choice of either cleric or sorcerer. Either one's got the stats for being the professional jerk in Dark Souls. I'll try looking for the one how-to hex guide from a goon here but it'll take me a bit to sift through the thread.

Edit: Here we go, by Araganza

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Yeah, the ones whose soul is used to open the door.

Use the Ruin Sentinel souls to open the doors :ssh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ulvirich posted:

Your choice of either cleric or sorcerer. Either one's got the stats for being the professional jerk in Dark Souls. I'll try looking for the one how-to hex guide from a goon here but it'll take me a bit to sift through the thread.

Edit: Here we go, by Araganza

Thanks a lot! Cleric made. Name of 0xDEADBEEF because I'm a hopeless dork :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Tips for beating the Royal Rat Vanguard (mohawk guy) go.

I've had semi-success surviving until he appears using that "call down the lightning" AOE spell, but eventually I get overwhelmed by adds... I can kill them in 2 swings, but those drat statues are a huge pain in this regard.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What are the penalties for wearing Havel's Shield while at 40 strength? Is it purely related to the shield slam or will it affect it's defensive use as well?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mimetic posted:

I'm so poo poo at this game :smith:

Went through duels losing about twice per win to get 30 red eye orbs. Figured that I'd fare better against people who don't PVP all day. Nope. My record was 5 kills, 2 afk, and 14 losses before I got discouraged and gave up.

Maybe I'll just give up on this dex character and go back to my powerstanced great club guy. I don't know if that would be any better.

If it makes you feel any better, a plain old Dex build is pretty close to "worst at PvP" unless you're using at least some of the cheesier things like long reach katanas, Resonant Weapon, avelyns, and so on.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Annath posted:

I've had semi-success surviving until he appears using that "call down the lightning" AOE spell, but eventually I get overwhelmed by adds... I can kill them in 2 swings, but those drat statues are a huge pain in this regard.

Go from the entrance to the exit and back kiting them and killing the few stragglers that reach you and repeat.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Annath posted:

I'm assuming a faith/melee build here. You did right in aoeing down the pack, however I would recommend you do the aoe over on one side of the room where you entered from, and finish the aoe on the far side of the room near the exit. This is so that the big cheese is relatively alone when it appears. Get in your melee on him as it's just a healthier version of the ones you're fighting. If you're having trouble with swarming, try to get them clumped up on one side of the arena then hustle over to the other side before they close off a escape route.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Annath posted:

Keep moving. Don't waste time killing any more rats than you need to. Don't lock on. If you're a melee guy, switch to a big swingy weapon that can kill a bunch of rats at once.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

What are the penalties for wearing Havel's Shield while at 40 strength? Is it purely related to the shield slam or will it affect it's defensive use as well?

If you don't have the required Strength for a shield and you try to block with it, you will get instantly guard broken when hit.

Ulvirich posted:

You did right in aoeing down the pack, however I would recommend you do the aoe over on one side of the room where you entered from, and finish the aoe on the far side of the room near the exit.

One weird tip from this stay at home Faith user: Soul Appease affects rats and is almost assuredly an instant kill on the smaller ones. Much easier to use than that AoE lighting spell.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 7, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Cleric, but Hexes aren't really broken until pretty late in the game. Sorcery is probably the most broken early on.

So I'd say start Cleric or Sorcerer and then go pure Sorcery until at least like Drangleic Castle and then you can open up the Hex pain.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vermain posted:

You should get plenty of summons when you get to Drangleic Castle. I'm grinding out most of my Sunlight Medals by sitting my rear end down in front of Mirror Knight and I get summoned about every 2-5 minutes with roughly 1.3 million SM.

Also, I'd really, really just wear the Ring of Life Protection if you're not good at this game (like me). The price you pay to repair it is nothing compared to the peace of mind of not having to stress out about getting your bloodstain back every time, and constantly being at full HP and able to summon people is a tremendous help. It changed the game from being a frustrating slog to being more than tolerable, and even fun in a lot of places.

Honestly, 1.1-1.2 mil SM is where I almost always wind up at Old Iron King and I've already played the game three times up to that point.

I've never had trouble getting summoned for Old Iron King.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Annath posted:

Run from one corner (near the entrance) to the other (near the exit) constantly, killing the 1-2 rats that keep up with you each time. Count how many you kill. He always appears right by the entrance, so be there when he does after 10 kills and just unload on him. He stunlocks really easily so you can probably 1-cycle him or at worst, kite some more until you find him again and finish him. Tough fight but it felt really manageable instead of unfair to me.

emdash fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 7, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Cleric, but Hexes aren't really broken until pretty late in the game. Sorcery is probably the most broken early on.

So I'd say start Cleric or Sorcerer and then go pure Sorcery until at least like Drangleic Castle and then you can open up the Hex pain.

Whatever the heck you do, just make sure you keep a pair of binoculars on your person. It allows for first person shooting as a mage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaphod42 posted:

Hexes are broken pretty much the moment you get GRS. Getting the chime from Drangleic Castle and the Abyssal Seal ring is basically just icing on the cake.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ulvirich posted:

Whatever the heck you do, just make sure you keep a pair of binoculars on your person. It allows for first person shooting as a mage.

Anyone who can actually manage to swap to an item and use it to precisely aim with a controller and then swap back to other items is probably jesus.

Trying to aim my bow in this game makes me wonder how the heck people play console FPS'

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, just to make sure, if I spice down Sunlight Spear's requirement is there any reason to go beyond Great Lightning Spear's requirement (42)? I'm not even sure if there are any other miracles about that number.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, just to make sure, if I spice down Sunlight Spear's requirement is there any reason to go beyond Great Lightning Spear's requirement (42)? I'm not even sure if there are any other miracles about that number.

Blinding Bolt exists, but I'm not sure if it's really worth cranking Faith up to 65 just for it. You're probably better off sticking with Soul Appease/Heavenly Thunder for AoE and putting it into something else.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

So, just to make sure, if I spice down Sunlight Spear's requirement is there any reason to go beyond Great Lightning Spear's requirement (42)?

There's only two other miracles that require higher than 42 faith.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

Anyone who can actually manage to swap to an item and use it to precisely aim with a controller and then swap back to other items is probably jesus.

And that person definitely isn't me! :v: I use it to snipe jerks and shoot destructables.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

THE PWNER posted:

Trying to aim my bow in this game makes me wonder how the heck people play console FPS'

Try turning down your sensitivity? Its pretty easy honestly. 420 YOLO GRS headshots all day. :cheeky:

Binoculars count as a weapon slot instead of an item slot this game, which makes it a little easier to swap to and back from quickly too. They do take up a weapon slot then, but I rarely have all 6 full and they weigh practically nothing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So was that dragon after Aldia's Keep supposed to be a loving chump? 3 casts of resonant souls and it's dead? Weak.

Also, what the gently caress am I supposed to do in the Darklurkers cavern? I fought 3 other guys, a ghost, lit a fire urn up and.... what now? I left that stupid place after it seemed like I had hit a dead end. :\

EDIT: OH gently caress.

"The goal in these dungeons is to light a bonfire with a torch. After doing so, find a fog gate that will disable when the last phantom is defeated and drop down into the hole. Instead of falling to your death, you will be transported out of the dungeon."

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

Try turning down your sensitivity? Its pretty easy honestly. 420 YOLO GRS headshots all day. :cheeky:

Binoculars count as a weapon slot instead of an item slot this game, which makes it a little easier to swap to and back from quickly too. They do take up a weapon slot then, but I rarely have all 6 full and they weigh practically nothing.

I didn't even know controller sensitivity was a thing :downs:

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Over the weekend I was doing some white phantoming on the boss of Amana and I rushed in to get the first hit and the boss took 6000 damage and died immediately. Has this happened to anyone else? I was power stancing two blacksteel katanas and using an item that has a chance to make attacks critical hits so as best I can figure there was some weird stacking that happened. This has only happened to me once. I really wish I had been running a stream at the time so I had some proof of this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The best Chime for Miracles requires a 50 Faith. Go to 50, use 5 spices on Sunlight Spear.

Dragon Chime erry day.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

So was that dragon after Aldia's Keep supposed to be a loving chump? 3 casts of resonant souls and it's dead? Weak.

Also, what the gently caress am I supposed to do in the Darklurkers cavern? I fought 3 other guys, a ghost, lit a fire urn up and.... what now? I left that stupid place after it seemed like I had hit a dead end. :\

The Guardian Dragon is a massive chump when you are a melee dude as well.

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

My First character was a Hexer, and I thought I was all cool and good.
But then I made a 40 str/dex split character with 25 vig/vit/end/adp. I don't use a shield, and I two-hand either a Claymore or a Halberd and I try to stay around 40% using the Third Dragon Ring.
And I feel like I made the game my bitch and the only part I had problems with was with the Smelter Demon but I just got myself a Southern Ritual band and got Toxic mist. Toxic'd him and just dodged around as he died.

In PvP people usually let me run up to them and Guardbreak them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bato posted:

My biggest threat in PvP is how tight the timing on jump attacks and guardbreaks is now. Its weirdly hard to actually do in a PvP match and I'm not sure why.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You have to push forward very slightly before you press the bumper, which is very awkward to do without consciously concentrating on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bato posted:

My First character was a Hexer, and I thought I was all cool and good.
But then I made a 40 str/dex split character with 25 vig/vit/end/adp. I don't use a shield, and I two-hand either a Claymore or a Halberd and I try to stay around 40% using the Third Dragon Ring.
And I feel like I made the game my bitch and the only part I had problems with was with the Smelter Demon but I just got myself a Southern Ritual band and got Toxic mist. Toxic'd him and just dodged around as he died.

I was given to understand that str/dex split weapons were kind of arse. I should just try it rather than listen to posts on the internet, I suppose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Oae Ui posted:

Over the weekend I was doing some white phantoming on the boss of Amana and I rushed in to get the first hit and the boss took 6000 damage and died immediately. Has this happened to anyone else? I was power stancing two blacksteel katanas and using an item that has a chance to make attacks critical hits so as best I can figure there was some weird stacking that happened. This has only happened to me once. I really wish I had been running a stream at the time so I had some proof of this.

While phantoming I saw a host take down Smelter Demon in a single blow. Or rather, I went through the fog door to see Smelter Demon already dying. I have no idea what's actually possible with hacking but I sort of assumed there was some bullshit involved, though I have no idea why they'd summon phantoms if they were going to one-shot it. I don't remember it giving more souls than normal so I guess they weren't doing circuitous trolling by handing phantoms the souls from a boss asceticed to NG+7.