Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

trilljester posted:

Do you just put the tar file in the Update folder and then reboot twice?

You have to extract some files from it. I believe the directory inside the tar is called target. Grab all the files in it (should be 4, I believe) and put them in the Update directory on the OE box. Reboot, it'll start up and do some updates, and give you a pretty menu screen to do a couple manual things, wait for it to finish everything on its own, and then reboot again, and you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!

trilljester posted:

Do you just put the tar file in the Update folder and then reboot twice?

I had to extract the .tar file, then browse to the System folder. In there, there are 4 files (KERNEL, KERNEL.md5, SYSTEM and SYSTEM.md5) -- copy those to the Update folder on your HTPC, and then reboot. I didn't have to reboot twice, fwiw.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Excellent. Thanks guys! Looking forward to this.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Thanks for the warning, guess I'll stick with OE 3.2 for now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what people have been talking about in regards to not resuming from USB, but I've been running OpenELEC on a usb stick since 3.2 (I'm not on 3.95 Beta 6) on an Intel i3 NUC and I've been able to use the suspsend/resume feature no problem.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

GrandMaster posted:

You won't get weird results, the databases will split.
The new xbmc instance will create new DBs with a higher version number and new schema e.g. MyVideos## and import the data on first load. The old instance will keep using the old DB.

You don't think that is a weird result? :)

I mentioned it only because I did it myself by accident not long ago and while it won't completely break anything I did find that updates and such took longer, some artwork had to be manually refreshed, etc. Once all my clients were the same the problem went away.

Also the XBMC Devs themselves recommend against it, so there's that. There's a big huge red banner about it on the XBMC/MySQL Wiki, in fact:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MySQL

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ixian posted:

Looks like your windows share question was answered; here's a couple more FireTV tips:

1. XBMC user Senaxx built a little Windows tool that automates the installation/upgrade sideload process for XBMC on the Fire - it's easy as pie. Not that the manual way is that difficult either but anyway the tool is here: http://rghost.net/54976771

2. Remember to read the Wiki instructions and *disable* Mediacodec (settings, video, acceleration, make sure to enable expert options for settings (option for that at the bottom left of the screen). Only Libstagefright works well for the FTV at the moment. If you leave it on (and it's on by default) you may run in to stuttering issues with videos.

Some users simply turn off all hardware acceleration and use software only - apparently the CPU in the Fire is good enough for all but the hightest bitrate content.

3. Pay attention to this guy on the XBMC forums as well: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109&pid=1700182#pid1700182

He created an official Amazon store app that will launch sideloaded XBMC. Yes, this means you'll get a nice "Media Center" button on your home screen (I don't know if he used the official XBMC icon or not). It's pending approval - fingers crossed that they accept it.

Finally, don't forget the FireTV extra settings remote guide. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alternative_keymaps_for_Fire_TV_remote

I can't emphasize enough how much more convenient this makes using the AFTV remote with XBMC.

Huge thanks again man. I am getting my FireTV today and I will use this guide and post about how it all goes. I can get pretty spergy with this stuff, so I will point out any issues at all (if there are any).

Thank you again! You should get commission for selling FireTVs (I'll probably buy at least 3 if it works well).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

bam thwok posted:

Has anyone figured out the poster vs banner issue between skins? Is it a file naming convention that sickbeard can handle?

Quotin' this again to see if anyone's figured it out, since it makes switching skins or using plex remotely annoying/weird looking. Please tell me Gotham has finally fixed this, or there's a nightly branch that has it (meaning handling for poster.jpg and banner.jpg, rather than a folder.jpg that needs to be redownloaded/scraped every time a new skin prefers one over the other)?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Any way for a Canadian to buy a Fire TV? I feel left out. :(

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

wolfbiker posted:

Any way for a Canadian to buy a Fire TV? I feel left out. :(

Hope does the Fire handle 1080 video?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

bam thwok posted:

Quotin' this again to see if anyone's figured it out, since it makes switching skins or using plex remotely annoying/weird looking. Please tell me Gotham has finally fixed this, or there's a nightly branch that has it (meaning handling for poster.jpg and banner.jpg, rather than a folder.jpg that needs to be redownloaded/scraped every time a new skin prefers one over the other)?

I have sickbeard download both posters and banners and that works for me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

You should get commission for selling FireTVs (I'll probably buy at least 3 if it works well).

Ask them for an Amazon affiliate link.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Ixian posted:

You don't think that is a weird result? :)

Hah, ok.. What I meant was that it won't gently caress your old database and prevent the old instance from working.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I really hope we're not doing the same song and dance we did for the Kindle fire in the UK.

Google really ate Amazon's lunch on that one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ixian posted:

Looks like your windows share question was answered; here's a couple more FireTV tips:

1. XBMC user Senaxx built a little Windows tool that automates the installation/upgrade sideload process for XBMC on the Fire - it's easy as pie. Not that the manual way is that difficult either but anyway the tool is here: http://rghost.net/54976771

2. Remember to read the Wiki instructions and *disable* Mediacodec (settings, video, acceleration, make sure to enable expert options for settings (option for that at the bottom left of the screen). Only Libstagefright works well for the FTV at the moment. If you leave it on (and it's on by default) you may run in to stuttering issues with videos.

Some users simply turn off all hardware acceleration and use software only - apparently the CPU in the Fire is good enough for all but the hightest bitrate content.

3. Pay attention to this guy on the XBMC forums as well: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109&pid=1700182#pid1700182

He created an official Amazon store app that will launch sideloaded XBMC. Yes, this means you'll get a nice "Media Center" button on your home screen (I don't know if he used the official XBMC icon or not). It's pending approval - fingers crossed that they accept it.

Finally, don't forget the FireTV extra settings remote guide. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alternative_keymaps_for_Fire_TV_remote

I can't emphasize enough how much more convenient this makes using the AFTV remote with XBMC.

Okay, I got my FireTV and I got XBMC to install just fine. So thank you again. However, it does not seem like it can find my server. I click on "Add video source" and then browse, and then go to Windows network (SMB) but nothing shows up. This is weird because trying the same exact thing with a Windows 7 PC and XBMC works just fine.

The really weird thing is the FireTV did give me results in the SMB menu the first time I tried, but I couldn't use it because the controller wasn't moving to allow me to put in the username and password for the server. So I went into the menu system, made the change so the remote "performed keyboard presses" and *bam*, that was it, I was never able to find anything over the network again. I've tried rebooting, clearing the cache, using hardwire ethernet, nothing is working.

I don't expect you to be my tech support but am wondering if I am missing anything blatantly obvious, or maybe XBMC is still very glitchy on the FireHD?

edit: I just tried clearing all of the settings too (so everything was back to default) and it's not finding any of my shared stuff. Before, I got it to show the name of the server, and it asked for a login and password which is good. But I have never gotten that to show back up again.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 8, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So now that Gotham is stable and everyones migrating to it, how are you guys getting all the usual suspect addons (1ch, sportsdevil, ect) to run on them? Alot of them are getting the "dependencies" error. Everywhere I read, the workaround is to simply edit the addon.xml file to make it say python ver. 2.1.1 (or whatever) but its not working for me either.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Do you mean I can't use sleep mode (S3) when installed to a USB stick anymore?

When I was using OpenElec from a reasonably fast USB stick, it used to boot in like 10 seconds. I don't see why anyone would use sleep mode. That was on an i3 machine though. If it took five minutes to boot on some low-power machine, I could see the problem.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

When I was using OpenElec from a reasonably fast USB stick, it used to boot in like 10 seconds. I don't see why anyone would use sleep mode. That was on an i3 machine though. If it took five minutes to boot on some low-power machine, I could see the problem.

Because the computer is hidden away behind the TV and when it's shut off you can't turn it on from the remote control but when the computer's asleep you can wake it up with the remote?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

wolfbiker posted:

Because the computer is hidden away behind the TV and when it's shut off you can't turn it on from the remote control but when the computer's asleep you can wake it up with the remote?

It's not hidden away for me but you're spot on, not being able to turn it on via remote is dumb as hell.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember it took me hours to find an IR remote for my PC that would turn on the computer from sleep/off and it required all sorts of wacky crap for me to be able to install it (like it needed to tap into the PSU and everything).

It was an Antec something or other and was like $40 on Newegg a year ago.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Okay, I got my FireTV and I got XBMC to install just fine. So thank you again. However, it does not seem like it can find my server. I click on "Add video source" and then browse, and then go to Windows network (SMB) but nothing shows up. This is weird because trying the same exact thing with a Windows 7 PC and XBMC works just fine.

The really weird thing is the FireTV did give me results in the SMB menu the first time I tried, but I couldn't use it because the controller wasn't moving to allow me to put in the username and password for the server. So I went into the menu system, made the change so the remote "performed keyboard presses" and *bam*, that was it, I was never able to find anything over the network again. I've tried rebooting, clearing the cache, using hardwire ethernet, nothing is working.

I don't expect you to be my tech support but am wondering if I am missing anything blatantly obvious, or maybe XBMC is still very glitchy on the FireHD?

edit: I just tried clearing all of the settings too (so everything was back to default) and it's not finding any of my shared stuff. Before, I got it to show the name of the server, and it asked for a login and password which is good. But I have never gotten that to show back up again.

It's not any glitchy-er than most other devices. The share issue you are seeing is actually a pretty common one - Windows network discovery is not always all it could be on the average home network. Could spend hours or days troubleshooting that or you could just add the source manually, using the format smb://servername/folder

So if your server is "Miyamotos" and your folder on it you want to add is "movies" put smb://servername/movies

If you want to do this all at once, the easy way, just edit your sources.xml directly. Using the example of "Miyamotos" as your server name and the folders named after contents it would look like this:

code:
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://Miyamotos/Movies/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>TV Series</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://Miyamotos/TV Series/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
        <source>
            <name>My Music</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://Miyamotos/Music/</path>
        </source>
    </music>
    <pictures>
        <source>
            <name>Pictures</name>
            <path pathversion="1">/home/xbmc/Pictures/</path>
        </source>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
</sources>

You can edit that locally with your actually names, put it in sources.xml and copy that over to your Userdata via ADB (see the XBMC FireTV wiki I linked to, it shows you exactly how to do just that)

Then, under "Videos" you'll see the names of all your folders. Bring up the context menus (if you followed my advice about the Amazon remote keymap from before it'll be the "=" key on the right under the directional buttons) and choose configure source. Then you can tell it what kind of content the folder has - movies, tv, whatever - and it'll scan in to your library for you.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
While I'm at it I'll just share my FireTV specific advancedsettings.xml file because it helps a lot, especially on slow networks:

code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
	<buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>52428800</cachemembuffersize>
  </network>
  <video>
<timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>
                <timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
        </video>
        <audio>
                <timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>  
                <timeseekbackward>-10</timeseekbackward>
        </audio>
</advancedsettings>
All this does is: Disable IPv6 (if you need it you'll know, otherwise no point), Buffer all filesystems, including local (which also means smb/lan) and set said buffer to 50mb, which requires 150mb of free ram to do, which is well within the FireTV's capabilities.

I've found this to be a huge improvement when playing higher-bitrate content over wireless - in particular seeking/fastforwarding. It also made LiveTV streams play a lot quicker from my NPVR server for the same reasons. On the FireTV you can increase this up to 100mb if you need - just use <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize> instead.

The other lines just adjust the skip buttons to intervals I like - for example, I like to jump ahead in 30 second increments, but when I want to jump back it's usually because I just missed something and so I set that to 10 seconds. Leave those out or play with the times if you want, won't hurt anything.

Note I've left my MySQL setup out of this config, as that is a different topic. The XBMC MySQL wiki does a good job of explaining how that works.

As for copying advancedsettings.xml, just follow the FireTV wiki as usual - they use that file as an example, in fact.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do I get openelec to install on a USB stick ?

The instructions talk all this poo poo about opening up a terminal etc. I tried burning the image to USB and booting from that but now it wants another USB to install to.

I there a way to install openelec onto my only thumb drive from a NUC from windows ? I don't have the mental capacity for this right now.

Also my k400 keyboard doesn't work properly with the NUC. Even in the BIOS the keypresses barely register and mouse movement is all hosed up. What is there out there like the k400 ?

HURRR: Didn't realise the install wiki had separate linux and windows tabs. Heh.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 8, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I don't recommend installing on a USB stick anymore. I know it's a cheaper option for the NUC but in addition to no longer being able to resume from sleep the OpenElec forums are filled with people struggling with USB installs, slow artwork, etc. I'm not saying it doesn't work or that many people aren't perfectly happy with it, just that it seems like a silly compromise to me considering the money you already have to sink in to a NUC setup in the first place.

If you want to save yourself some long term hassle just drop another $35 on a small 32gb mSATA drive and be done with it (Sandisk makes a good one for that price, check Amazon). It'll probably save you grief in the long run over using that spare USB stick everyone has had sitting in a drawer for the last 4 years.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
Just got my FireTV today, XBMC sideload of Gotham Final is perfect save for one thing - I can't seem to install any skins. I downloaded Eminence (as Ixian recommended in his first post). Downloaded the Eminence zip, pushed it to the FTV, tried "install from zip" under addons, and it just kicks me back to the menu right after, and the skin doesn't show up under Appearances. I thought I might try to install one from the XBMC repo but every single skin shows as incompatible.

Am I doing something horribly wrong, or is this just due to Gotham final just being released recently?

swerv
Nov 26, 2004

deadEd posted:

Just got my FireTV today, XBMC sideload of Gotham Final is perfect save for one thing - I can't seem to install any skins. I downloaded Eminence (as Ixian recommended in his first post). Downloaded the Eminence zip, pushed it to the FTV, tried "install from zip" under addons, and it just kicks me back to the menu right after, and the skin doesn't show up under Appearances. I thought I might try to install one from the XBMC repo but every single skin shows as incompatible.

Am I doing something horribly wrong, or is this just due to Gotham final just being released recently?

I had this very same problem the other day installing Eminence on my HTPCs. What I found was that the Artist Slideshow addon wasn't completely downloading during the install, causing the entire skin installation to hang.

Once I downloaded and installed the Artist Slideshow addon separately, I was able to install the Eminence skin using "install from zip" just fine.

Hope this works for you.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The XBMC addon repo has been having problems lately, meaning a lot of addons aren't downloading correctly. I think it's fixed as of last night.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001

swerv posted:

Hope this works for you.

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Ixian posted:

I've found this to be a huge improvement when playing higher-bitrate content over wireless - in particular seeking/fastforwarding. It also made LiveTV streams play a lot quicker from my NPVR server for the same reasons. On the FireTV you can increase this up to 100mb if you need - just use <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize> instead.

How well does FireTV + NPVR backend work? What is your actual Live TV source? I've got NPVR with an HDHomeRun prime and even running the client/server on the same Windows PC channel changes take a few seconds which is supposedly pretty normal (but surprising).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Last 2 days I haven't been able to install any addons on a fresh stable install.

Aeon NOx 5 downloaded fine though. Odd.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Dependencies error?

I'm getting it too. My research has led me to at least 3 conclusions:

1. The first, obvious, one, is to go into the addon.xml of the addon installation zip and change the line:

<import addon="xbmc.python" version="1.0" /> (or whatever version it is)

to

<import addon="xbmc.python" version="2.1.0" /> (the requiste Gotham python version)

If that doesn't work, then it means the dependencies aren't there/downloading which leads me to:

2. Theres been some reports of problems with XBMC's repos (where the script moudles, which are the dependencies which are "imported" for every addon, are stored). So perhaps in a day or 2 they might work and everything will be fine.

3. The devs over at XBMC.org are purging the repo of scripts/modules which, as far as they see it, aren't used any more by OFFICIAL xbmc addons. Alot of the non-official ("grey area" they call them) ones still call on these (Mashup, 1Channel, ect) but they give no fucks, they don't feel an obligation to keep those files around just for them.
What this means is that, in order to get these addons working on Gotham. You're going to have change the addon.xml as described above, THEN track down all the individual script modules that it calls for and install them manually, THEN try to install the addon zip. Doing all this, I managed to get 1channel working on Gotham stable (Android ARM, rk3166 to be specific).

I'm trying to compile an archive of these modules, but its proving quite time consuming.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ixian posted:

I don't recommend installing on a USB stick anymore. I know it's a cheaper option for the NUC but in addition to no longer being able to resume from sleep the OpenElec forums are filled with people struggling with USB installs, slow artwork, etc. I'm not saying it doesn't work or that many people aren't perfectly happy with it, just that it seems like a silly compromise to me considering the money you already have to sink in to a NUC setup in the first place.

If you want to save yourself some long term hassle just drop another $35 on a small 32gb mSATA drive and be done with it (Sandisk makes a good one for that price, check Amazon). It'll probably save you grief in the long run over using that spare USB stick everyone has had sitting in a drawer for the last 4 years.

Problem is the nuc is used for torrents, plex server, jukebox etc. So It runs windows 7 most of the time, and then ideally i'd like to reboot with the usb stick in the drive for xbmc use. Is it possible to get a fast usb stick ? If not I'll likely just run windows xbmc.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

jonathan posted:

Problem is the nuc is used for torrents, plex server, jukebox etc. So It runs windows 7 most of the time, and then ideally i'd like to reboot with the usb stick in the drive for xbmc use. Is it possible to get a fast usb stick ? If not I'll likely just run windows xbmc.

There's this thing which is probably made out of surplus SSD nand from Sandisk: Wirecutter review Close to the same price as that 32gb mSATA drive though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Namlemez posted:

How well does FireTV + NPVR backend work? What is your actual Live TV source? I've got NPVR with an HDHomeRun prime and even running the client/server on the same Windows PC channel changes take a few seconds which is supposedly pretty normal (but surprising).

Unfortunately that is pretty normal - it's not going to change channels as fast as a set-top box. I've found this to be the case both with capture cards (the Colossus HDPVR attached to my cable boxes) and the HDHR OTA tuner, using MediaPortal as a backend, ArgusTV, and now NPVR (the best of the bunch if you have to use Windows for a server, which I do because the Colossus cards don't have drivers for anything else). The NPVR client itself has never been that great, for anything, so you can't trust it for tests.

XBMC adds its own little delay on top of things - there's a user named Margro on the forums who does his own Windows XBMC builds who figured out how to make channel changes faster - I tried it, and they are a little faster, but it's still usually 3-5 seconds per channel. Even so he's trying to get his changes mainlined in to the next minor XBMC release.

I usually mitigate it by adding a 1 second (1000ms) delay for channel changes (in PVR setting in XBMC), that makes it easy to "surf" between channels without having to wait for it to sync back up every time. And let me tell you, home-brew LiveTV has come a long, long way since XBMC first starting offering PVR-specific builds back in 2011 - or for that matter, since 2000, when I first starting building HTPC's (they were the absolute best/cheapest option for upconversion back when HDTV's were a new thing).

If LiveTV is your primary focus and you don't mind a Windows-based media center I suggest giving MediaPortal a whirl (client AND TV Server - you can use the latter as a backend for XBMC but that's not what I mean) - they have the best LiveTV support of them all (channel changes are super-quick, the whole package is almost identical to a really nice set-top box) and it's gotten a lot better for other stuff in recent years. It's a pretty hefty setup though - you won't want to run it on a cheap box - and Windows-only.

I prefer XBMC overall because I'd rather trade slow channel changes for everything else it does but I did use MediaPortal from about 2007-2010.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 10, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

It's not really the speed that's the problem. Newer builds of OE don't support resume from USB (if indeed they ever did across the board) and the problems reported seem independent of speed.

You can do all the things you mention - torrents, Plex server, etc - just as well on a Linux box, in some cases better. OE might be too locked down for you but have you looked at XBMCBuntu (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu) That one has a regular Linux desktop, full remote browsers support, etc. Might be a small learning curve for you but I would bet day to day you'd find that setup easier to manage once you got used to it. If you are looking for an all in one torrents, Sickbeard, SABNZBD, etc box that is the way a lot of folks go.

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014
If you run a Windows box and want live tv on xbmc, a nice alternative is wmc.pvr. It uses media center edition as the backend, so if you have that running properly, you're all set.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jamoncorona posted:

If you run a Windows box and want live tv on xbmc, a nice alternative is wmc.pvr. It uses media center edition as the backend, so if you have that running properly, you're all set.

That's a good point - I've been waiting for wmc.pvr to stabilize on Gotham which appears to be the case (at least it's in the official Gotham repo now). Anyone use it who can comment on channel-change speed? The only backend I know of that changes channels lightning-fast in XBMC is TVHeadend, and that has limited tuner support (and no capture card support).

WMC probably has the best all-around tuner and capture card support of them all - no surprise considering it's the only mainstream "commercial" PVR left standing after Sage got bought and buried by Google - and it looks like it has some features most of the other backends lack.

Such as, recording starting from when the channel is tuned (i.e. you start watching a show, decided to record it in the middle, and it will grab the buffer and record the whole thing - all modern commercial PVR's do this but very few "HTPC" solutions do - NPVR does but only with their crappy front end).

They are also the first I've seen that supports series recording (and series deletes) right from the XBMC interface, though you have to mod a couple skin files to get the dialog boxes at the moment. Other backends make you do that stuff in the backend, or through a web interface.

There's also an app called My Media Center, which costs $5 and is available for Android, iOS, and Windows tablets. It's supposed to be pretty good as a "web" front end for scheduling shows and the like.

Finally, for another $5 you can get MyChannelLogos which is a program that will auto-download TV Station logos for WMC channels. Considering the trouble I had to go through to find, download, edit, rename, and upload logos just to get them to work with NPVR (and keep up with them) I think $5 is worth it.

I may screw around with that this week, can't hurt.

Edit: Well that was quick. I've been doing this for too many years and it's easier to get going - or in this case, run in to a wall - than it used to be.

So there are some caveats:

1) Hauppage cards - the Colossus and HDPVR as well as tuners - might well be Windows 8 compatible but they are not really Windows 8 Media Center compatible, and from some quick searching it appears that isn't going to change.

2) It'll work on Windows 7 but only one tuner unless you do some registry hacks.

There are a bunch of other little gotchas but Windows 8 MCE support stopped me cold. I have an old HDPVR lying around - I may go to the trouble of setting up a Windows 7 box real quick and trying it (I have an MSDN image from work that includes MCE) but not any time soon.

Real curious to find out if channel changes are faster. I like the recording features but that's the big one, and the only reason I'd switch. I'll ask on the XBMC forums and report back.

Edit 2: According to the XBMC forums channel changes with this addon are no better.

Part of the problem is XBMC does some stream analysis each and every time a new stream is launched, which is one of the reasons channels take so long to load and change. One of the PVR devs, Margro, is working on eliminating this and has released several special Windows-only builds of XBMC (Gotham) with the changes. It is better, but it's still a work in progress which is why it's not in the mainline release yet.

Hopefully he'll get this sorted out in time for the next XBMC 13 (Gotham) point release, which will probably come in early July.

So I'm not going to try it, but if you are starting fresh and are using Windows 7 for your TV server I suppose it's worth a go.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 12, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Finally fixed my weird resolution problem. Now I installed Eminence and everything working fine.
I just noticed some of my show's fanart does not display at all while some do. Anyone experienced this?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Le0 posted:

Finally fixed my weird resolution problem. Now I installed Eminence and everything working fine.
I just noticed some of my show's fanart does not display at all while some do. Anyone experienced this?

Try doing a complete refresh of the fanart for that show (open it, click to the right, refresh).

Edit: Or install the Artwork Downloader and Artwork Consolidator addons and re-scan all your shows.

When this has popped up for me that fixes it (it's usually when I add a new box so it must be a cache thing).

Ixian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 12, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So dumb question but does the Fire TV play nice with a USB hard drive based library?