Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Yeah Wilson seems a lot smarter with his scrambling than JFF did. I never feel worried for Wilson when he's doing Wilson things but JFF makes me cringe when I watch his plays. Kind of like how Vick made me cringe whenever he took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've never seen Russell Wilson think "I think I should run right into this wall of flesh in front of me, and then spin around and run backwards." I mean Russell's done a lot of running but it has generally been sideline to sideline.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Butthead posted:

Manziel was 5'11 3/4", 207lbs at the combine. Russell Wilson was 5'11", 204lbs at his combine. I think he'll be fine granted he takes the average amount of hits an NFL QB takes. There is no QB that is guaranteed to be OK if a linebacker or safety gets a good hit on them, even Roethlisberger.

no, but a QB who scrambles out of a clean pocket and can clown college players in the open field is going to get rocked a lot more often. I am not saying JFF will bust (yes I am), I am just saying that unless he drastically changes his play style he will be a huge injury liability.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well ben roethlisberger is a tremendous piece of poo poo so this just solidifies JFF being the best

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Do you think Ben hates signing autographs with his complicated rear end name

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
It's not like being a doughy fucker made Roethlisberger any more injury resistant. It's more about how you take a hit than how big you are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Being able to shrug off 300+lb dudes like they aren't there seems like an advantage, even though it's probably led to him missing some games. He's been lucky sure and a lot of the games he's missed are probably due to the way he holds on to the ball forever but...well when you're Ben I can understand having that opinion on Manziel.

Of course he's stupid because he's Ben and I hope he's wrong and so I can revel in QFG hating Manziel for years to come. But I worry about that little dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The argument is kind of dumb and kind of smart at the same time. That's Roethlisberger for ya.

Fact is whether you're built like Wilson or Cam Newton a big backside bandit putting his helmet in the small of your back and driving you into the dirt is going to gently caress you up. If you see it coming and can roll with it and brace yourself you're probably going to be OK.

The only risk comes from how quickly they're likely to come back from the hit which I guess could be a concern, but I don't really see it. In fact I'm trying to think of the last "small" QB who got injured by a legal clean hit and I'm drawing a blank. Colt got hosed up with a shot to his melon IIRC. I can't remember anyone other than Vick getting hurt in normal sort of play and being "small".

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
McCoy had a small arm and was maybe a little willowy but he was 6'2" wasn't he?

I guess if you want someone of similar height you can look up the brief and terrible career of Brodie Croyle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think the point is that you have to use your legs to extend the play, not use your legs to make the play. There is a huge difference. That famous .gif of him against Duke where he runs into three defenders and spins out to launch a bomb won't happen in the NFL. It might, but for everytime that happens, he is going to be hit 9 times. Also, on that play he basically left a perfectly clean pocket with no pressure to run into that wall to begin with. Ben is at his best when he shrugs off tackles and extends the play. JFF is going to have to dodge them to do it, and because he is so much smaller once a 300 lb DT gets his paws on him, he probably can't shake him like Ben could. Again, if he can use his pocket and use his legs to extend plays rather than making one read and running like he did his entire career, then he can be effective in the same vein as Russel Wilson. All I am saying is that he will have to change his game significantly to that pattern, because he doesn't have it now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

I think Sherman is more deserving.

Took me a minute before I realized you didn't mean Richard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

I think the point is that you have to use your legs to extend the play, not use your legs to make the play. There is a huge difference. That famous .gif of him against Duke where he runs into three defenders and spins out to launch a bomb won't happen in the NFL. It might, but for everytime that happens, he is going to be hit 9 times. Also, on that play he basically left a perfectly clean pocket with no pressure to run into that wall to begin with. Ben is at his best when he shrugs off tackles and extends the play. JFF is going to have to dodge them to do it, and because he is so much smaller once a 300 lb DT gets his paws on him, he probably can't shake him like Ben could. Again, if he can use his pocket and use his legs to extend plays rather than making one read and running like he did his entire career, then he can be effective in the same vein as Russel Wilson. All I am saying is that he will have to change his game significantly to that pattern, because he doesn't have it now.

To be fair to Manziel though people said the same thing about Big Ben not being able to shrug off linemen in the NFL, Cammy cam not being able to make those amazing runs to pick up the first down, gently caress I'm sure people even said the same thing about Hester as a return man. Yeah the frequency drops off a bit but it still happens.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I can't get over Ben's examples of players that would gently caress JFF up being Troy Polamalu Ike Taylor and Joey Porter.

Like is his brain so hosed up he thinks its still 2008?

Butthead
May 31, 2011
QBs tend to get destroyed due to not being able to recognize pressure, such as Kevin Kolb. The only example I can remember where a QB was just too small was Pat White, where he scrambled his way into a vicious hit. Manziel was able to feel the pressure in college. His success in the NFL will depend on if he can avoid trying to run like Pat White, which is something I think he'll learn to do pretty quick.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

rather than making one read and running like he did his entire career

Manziel definitely went through multiple reads and picked the open man a lot. The biggest issue for me is that if the open man is a dump off option, he typically decides to buy some time to try and make a bigger play. You never see Tom Brady or Manning ignore an open man at <7 yards to try and make the throw at 20 a few seconds later. They take that poo poo all day long. Wilson usually gets rid of the ball quickly, and when he doesn't, he's very conservative about putting himself in a position to get blindsided. Manziel tries to stretch plays as long as he can, and flings his body into his offensive line exposing himself for big hits. He gets greedy and tries to take something in situations where he needs to admit there's nothing and get rid of the ball. He just can't play sloppy like that at the pro level, and he's going to pay for it often if he tries to make it a huge part of his offense. It's not just sensing pressure. It's sensing pressure and saying to yourself "abort."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BlindSite posted:

...a big backside bandit putting his helmet in the small of your back and driving you into the dirt is going to gently caress you up. If you see it coming and can roll with it and brace yourself you're probably going to be OK.
Roethlisberger rape joke

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Volkerball posted:

Manziel definitely went through multiple reads and picked the open man a lot. The biggest issue for me is that if the open man is a dump off option, he typically decides to buy some time to try and make a bigger play. You never see Tom Brady or Manning ignore an open man at &lt;7 yards to try and make the throw at 20 a few seconds later. They take that poo poo all day long. Wilson usually gets rid of the ball quickly, and when he doesn't, he's very conservative about putting himself in a position to get blindsided.

Brady and Manning get rid of the ball because they are immobile statues who have no choice.

Wilson gets rid of it because he's boring and lame.

Manziel owns.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grittybeard posted:

McCoy had a small arm and was maybe a little willowy but he was 6'2" wasn't he?

:eng101: 6'1" 216 lbs at the combine.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Giants needs:

O-line. All of the o-line.

DT- need another fatty for the rotation after losing joseph

TE- I don't even know who our starting TE is right now

Giants filled in some glaring spots on their o-line with Schwartz, Walton, John Jerry, and Brown. So they got a ton of rotational o-line and a top starter. I doubt they go o-line unless they're really worried about Beatty.

They don't need DT nearly as much as they need DE.

Starting TE is currently Adrien Robinson who is an athletic freak but can't run routes or catch the ball or block.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

BlindSite posted:

Fact is whether you're built like Wilson or Cam Newton a big backside bandit putting his helmet in the small of your back and driving you into the dirt is going to gently caress you up. If you see it coming and can roll with it and brace yourself you're probably going to be OK.

Very much this, when Mario Williams made the Panthers Oline look like JV rejects, it didn'tatter how big Cam was, every hit he took looked like a potential injury when he got hit from the blindside.

Still it will look even worse when Manziel gets rocked by JJ Watt 4 times a game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is cute that the battered husk of Joey Porter thinks he can hit a guy harder than current members of SEC defenses.

Also I didn't think there was anything that could make me dislike that stupid fat rapist any more than I already do yet here we are. Perhaps this year will be the year his head stops fitting in his helmet?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

bewbies posted:

It is cute that the battered husk of Joey Porter thinks he can hit a guy harder than current members of SEC defenses.

Also I didn't think there was anything that could make me dislike that stupid fat rapist any more than I already do yet here we are. Perhaps this year will be the year his head stops fitting in his helmet?

Big Ben? Racist?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Joey Porter could hit harder than current SEC players because he'd be aiming for the head.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm sure Texans fans will say McClain has no info but others (on Twitter) are discussing it as well.

@McClain_on_NFL
Word's spreading among media here that Manziel is going to Jacksonville at 3.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So Mack at 3 then.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Texans: Khalil Mack

Rams: Greg Robinson

Jaguars: JFF

Browns: Sammy Watkins

Raiders: Jadeveon Clowney

Make it happen.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a terrible terrible feeling that the fins may take Ebron if there isn't O-line available and I'll loving cry

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Waroduce posted:

I have a terrible terrible feeling that the fins may take Ebron if there isn't O-line available and I'll loving cry
If the Jets trade up for a loving TE, I'll cry.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have been dodging all rumor mongering blurbs for the past two days and will continue that practice today. I hope the next 33 hours pass quickly.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ozu posted:

I'm sure Texans fans will say McClain has no info but others (on Twitter) are discussing it as well.

@McClain_on_NFL
Word's spreading among media here that Manziel is going to Jacksonville at 3.

Pleeeaaaassseeee

Dr. Foom
Jul 5, 2007

I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Blitz7x posted:

Pleeeaaaassseeee

Mack or Watkins are going to be at 5, and then Reggie's going to trade down to 30 and take another CB.

It is known.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

I have been dodging all rumor mongering blurbs for the past two days and will continue that practice today. I hope the next 33 hours pass quickly.

I've been reading them because I have strong mental fortitude and I am not drawn into the realm of rumor and myth

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Dr. Foom posted:

Mack or Watkins are going to be at 5, and then Reggie's going to trade down to 30 and take another CB.

It is known.

If the 9ers give us all their picks, I'm so down.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What is TFF opinio on Bridgewater going top 10?

Im not buying any of this character assassination poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Approximately how stupid is Dimitroff

quote:

Citing "word on the street," ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that the Texans are asking the Falcons for a Robert Griffin III-like trade haul to get from No. 6 overall to No. 1.

In 2012, the Redskins sent the Rams three first-round picks and a second-round pick to jump from No. 6 to No. 2 overall, where they drafted RG3 behind Andrew Luck.

Also who said Ben wouldn't shrug off linemen in the NFL, dude is a fuckin tank, he's 6'5 240. What was his bulk coming into the 04 draft?

Also as far as Ben being prone to injury, when it came to actual injuries on the field that took Ben out, he's been relatively durable? I mean he missed a game or two over his career from concussions, but he played in 15+ games in 6 of 9 seasons, and 14 of 14 starts in 04. One of the seasons he didn't play a full season was because of the suspension over the rape case. So he only got knocked out on the field for multiple games in 2 of 10 seasons, the rib injury in 2012 and knee issues way back in 2005.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 7, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

NFL.com has a recorded mock draft up on their homepage.

Faulk selected Manziel at number 2 (as the Rams) and his reasoning was that St. Louis does not trust Bradford. Is this really a possibility?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
On the Rich Eisen podcast Les Snead emphatically stated his absolute belief in Sam Bradford multiple times so... maybe.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Waroduce posted:

What is TFF opinio on Bridgewater going top 10?

Im not buying any of this character assassination poo poo

Best qb in the draft

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I still think Bridgwater may go #1 overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

John Brown posted:

NFL.com has a recorded mock draft up on their homepage.

Faulk selected Manziel at number 2 (as the Rams) and his reasoning was that St. Louis does not trust Bradford. Is this really a possibility?
It's a very small possibility, but it's there.

• Locked thread