Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, installed HIP, and wow does it add a lot. There a good way to learn what all this stuff does? It's a bit overwhelming.

Edit: Also man this mod hosed up Vandad's face. What the hell, his mouth is an inch lower and twice as wide as it should be. He also got a lot whiter.

Edit again: And I don't have the option to restore the high priesthood or to become Saoshyant as Zoroastrians in this. Do those only show up when you qualify, or did they get removed or changed?

Edit the third: Oh jeez, only one holy war every five years. Zoroastrians are going to be miserably slow in this, since no one will ever conduct diplomacy with you (unless that's changed too I suppose). And you only get to do it on areas that have provinces of your religion. I guess holy wars were really good in the base game but man. (Though, I suppose it also drastically reduces your chances of being obliterated instantly, since you don't own any Sunni provinces so no one can religious reconquest you. Unless, again, there's another thing I'm not aware of.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SeaTard posted:

Pagan, Norse probably. This is what I did:

Raid Spanish holdings that have male kids with the Sayyid trait. When you capture one, immediately have him raised by a gregarious and diligent courtier so he has a chance to flip religion. Once religion has been flipped to something non-Muslim, you can matri-marry him into your dynasty. All his kids will be full Sayyid.

A fascinating idea, but are there actually any Sayyid in Spain? I've been trying to find some (for an easy "Pledge fealty to JimenaBlob" game), but haven't found any.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

DStecks posted:

A fascinating idea, but are there actually any Sayyid in Spain? I've been trying to find some (for an easy "Pledge fealty to JimenaBlob" game), but haven't found any.

Ummayed in old gods start I believe.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Roland Jones posted:

Edit the third: Oh jeez, only one holy war every five years. Zoroastrians are going to be miserably slow in this, since no one will ever conduct diplomacy with you (unless that's changed too I suppose). And you only get to do it on areas that have provinces of your religion. I guess holy wars were really good in the base game but man. (Though, I suppose it also drastically reduces your chances of being obliterated instantly, since you don't own any Sunni provinces so no one can religious reconquest you. Unless, again, there's another thing I'm not aware of.)

Actually, the change to holy wars is that you get two tiers, so to speak, of which one has trait requirements and the other doesn't. You can do holy wars to liberate co-religionists and within your owned de-jure titles regardless of who your character is, whereas the normal vanilla-type holy war against anyone on your borders requires your character to have the appropriate personality: zealous or ambitious, not craven, etc. There's a decision in the intrigue panel to check the exact requirements.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Another thing to note re: Elective Monarchy -- you will not become unlanded if your chosen heir fails the Kingdom's election. Your chosen heir will inherit your duchy as you've chosen, but the Kingdom will go to whoever won the election. Only if you've done something crazy, like nominate a non-relative as your chosen heir, will you become unlanded.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

DrSunshine posted:

Another thing to note re: Elective Monarchy -- you will not become unlanded if your chosen heir fails the Kingdom's election. Your chosen heir will inherit your duchy as you've chosen, but the Kingdom will go to whoever won the election. Only if you've done something crazy, like nominate a non-relative as your chosen heir, will you become unlanded.

Do you get a claim on the Kingdom? If so, seems like it would be relatively easy to keep a hold on the Kingdom even if you lose the election as long as you control a couple decent duchies.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guildencrantz posted:

Actually, the change to holy wars is that you get two tiers, so to speak, of which one has trait requirements and the other doesn't. You can do holy wars to liberate co-religionists and within your owned de-jure titles regardless of who your character is, whereas the normal vanilla-type holy war against anyone on your borders requires your character to have the appropriate personality: zealous or ambitious, not craven, etc. There's a decision in the intrigue panel to check the exact requirements.

Ah. Lucky me that my Vandad is Ambitious, then. And I have a Genius (though also Chaste) woman in my realm who will make the ideal concubine, while my sister is a pretty great steward. Will do my best to instill ambition and/or zealotry into my children as well.

Tangent, I like the new requirements for Absolute Cognatic inheritance; any female ruler can do it, provided she has the right title (nickname, i.e. "the Blessed" or whatever, not rulership title). Basically, any woman who comes to rule and proves that she should rule can overthrow the old laws and institute gender equality, which is a pretty awesome way to accomplish that. And becoming Saoshyant is one of those ways, so, given that the limitations on holy wars will probably keep Vandad from conquering all of Persia in his lifetime, I have another reason to shoot for that goal, assuming the trend of my female children being the awesome ones continues to this game.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Guildencrantz posted:

What no-one seems to have mentioned about HIP is that it also includes Project Balance, a big CK2+esque overhaul. It's not for everyone, and very much targeted for those who like to roleplay their characters, but what it does it does well. Features include limiting wars based on traits (e.g. kind, honest charaters can't backstab allies) and my personally favorite submod: the duel engine, same as the GOT mod. That separates a character's ability to command troops and their skill at swinging a sword, and lets you risk your leader's life for the opportunity to turn the tide of battle by carving up the enemy commander in personal combat! :black101: Makes warrior kings lots of fun.

Another mod that is on my personal must-have list is Additional Objectives, compatible with HIP. Like VIET, it's nothing but bonus content, and some pretty high-quality stuff.

I really like the duel mechanics overall, but I think it could use some changes. For example, when prompted to charge or flee, I'd really like to see the flee option only have a (50% or so) chance of giving a character the craven trait. I think that'd better illustrate a "discretion is the better part of valor" perspective on avoiding personal combat, and shouldn't inevitably lead to your character becoming a coward. Perhaps something like slapping a temporary "Avoided a duel" opinion malus (which could be exacerbated for brave characters, or those with traits similar to brave) on a character would work better than out and out making them craven.

I've also had some really weird instances of my well-trained fighter with a high martial score losing out to low-martial novices more frequently than I think they should.

I will say I'm having a ton more fun playing HIP with VIET, ARKO, and PB than I did with vanilla. Really reminds me of CK2+.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Bold Robot posted:

Do you get a claim on the Kingdom? If so, seems like it would be relatively easy to keep a hold on the Kingdom even if you lose the election as long as you control a couple decent duchies.

I'm pretty sure that even under elective the former King's heirs and pretenders still get claims on the Kingdom upon the ruler's death. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it cuts both ways, so if you lose the election to the Duke of Nowhere and then faction to depose him, on deposition he will also get a claim on the Kingdom.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Any tips on elective monarchies? I had a brief scare when a bunch of my vassals decided to support some Count for my primary title instead of my son, even though I was at or near 100 relations with all of them. I successfully plotted to kill the guy off so the succession is safe now, but I'm wondering what plays into the electors' choices.

tl;dr As king hold the only duke title in the kingdom so you have the only vote in the kingdom for succession.

Good thing with elective monarchies is you get to choose your strong genius attractive son over the retarded first born and if you set up elective in the right way then it is nothing but a blessing.

Say you are emperor, destroy all kingdom titles bar the most powerful one and keep that for yourself. Within that kingdom destroy all duke titles. Within a kingdom only de jure duke titles and above can vote so if you hold the only duke title within the kingdom you get the only vote but your vassals still love you for having elective. This has the added benefit of maximising levy for the kingdom as there are no penalties as well as providing a LOT of potential plot associates should a count you not like rise to power.

Outside that de jure kingdom you can have dukes as because they aren't de jure within the kingdom they have no vote. Set the empire to elective and again because you hold the only king title you are the only voter but your dukes love you because you are elective. It takes some micro managing when it comes to war but you will have the most stable realm you can imagine.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Riso posted:

Need money? Create a merchant republic.

Need more money? Create four merchant republics!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I created the merchant republic of Baluchistan and the stupid idiot moved his capital inland and stopped being a merchant republic :argh:

Fixed it using the give_title command to give the patrician only coastal counties because gently caress that.

hellsjudge posted:

Haha holy poo poo.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does one create a merchant republic? And then what happens? Does it just make a lot of money, which consequently goes to you because you're their liege?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

How does one create a merchant republic? And then what happens? Does it just make a lot of money, which consequently goes to you because you're their liege?

Give a coastal duchy or kingdom to a mayor. Then yes, you will make a lot of money.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

hellsjudge posted:

How do you create a merchant republic again?

I know how to create a regular republic (give a mayor a county, then a duchy), but how it becomes a merchant republic?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I know how to create a regular republic (give a mayor a county, then a duchy), but how it becomes a merchant republic?

It has to be on the coast.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Yes, that's part of what makes all-dynasty Elective kingdoms such a thunderdome. You're eligible to nominate close family of the current ruler as well as all electors (basically all your dukes). That also means any old duke can start a "Duke Shitlord for King" faction because he's eligible for election. With all-dynasty dukes, they're going to have alliances and dynastic opinion bonuses with each other but a -5 opinion penalty with the boss because of being same-dynasty under Elective. If your current ruler doesn't field a good heir, you're VERY likely to have a relative duke succeed the throne or start factions to install relatives. It doesn't mean game over since the title stays in your dynasty, it just means fun for the whole family :v:

Thrasophius posted:

Outside that de jure kingdom you can have dukes as because they aren't de jure within the kingdom they have no vote. Set the empire to elective and again because you hold the only king title you are the only voter but your dukes love you because you are elective. It takes some micro managing when it comes to war but you will have the most stable realm you can imagine.

Wouldn't the dukes outside your Kingdom still be electors for the Empire title, though? I thought electors were every vassal one rank below, except Empires which are two ranks below (Kings and Dukes).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zig-Zag posted:

Ummayed in old gods start I believe.

Yep, the umads are Sayyid.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

marktheando posted:

It has to be on the coast.

Thank you.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Thrasophius posted:

tl;dr As king hold the only duke title in the kingdom so you have the only vote in the kingdom for succession.

Good thing with elective monarchies is you get to choose your strong genius attractive son over the retarded first born and if you set up elective in the right way then it is nothing but a blessing.

Say you are emperor, destroy all kingdom titles bar the most powerful one and keep that for yourself. Within that kingdom destroy all duke titles. Within a kingdom only de jure duke titles and above can vote so if you hold the only duke title within the kingdom you get the only vote but your vassals still love you for having elective. This has the added benefit of maximising levy for the kingdom as there are no penalties as well as providing a LOT of potential plot associates should a count you not like rise to power.

De Jure Dukes of the empire can vote on the Emperor title.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

SeaTard posted:

They're also reformed West African in my current game as Buddhist India.

Also, the Kingdom of Georgia is the last bastion of Catholicism, and there are no Sunnis left. Cathar won dominance and is all over Spain and Brittania, and Shia took over most of Persia and Mesopotamia...and France. Tengri is the only pagan religion that hasn't reformed. Germany is Jain, Aquitaine/Lotharingia is Messalian, Italy/Sicily is Zoroastrian led by the descendant of the Saoshyant, and Hungary is Samaritan. The Tulinids are Jewish and formed the Kingdom of Israel, and Byzantine is a restored Roman Empire with Roman culture and Hellenic Pagan religion. A large Armenia remains Orthodox. Favorite thing so far? A Karling leading the Hashashin.

Yeah, I used the console to set up some ridiculous initial conditions in the Old Gods start. I'm really liking the way it turned out. Coming up on 1200, and I'm excited for some Aztecs to come and wipe out Cathar Brittania.

This is going to be the best EUIV export ever. :getin:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Pellisworth posted:

That also means any old duke can start a "Duke Shitlord for King" faction because he's eligible for election. With all-dynasty dukes, they're going to have alliances and dynastic opinion bonuses with each other but a -5 opinion penalty with the boss because of being same-dynasty under Elective. If your current ruler doesn't field a good heir, you're VERY likely to have a relative duke succeed the throne or start factions to install relatives. It doesn't mean game over since the title stays in your dynasty, it just means fun for the whole family :v:

That's why you become the Roman Empire, your heirs are automatically good, since the opinion as liege has a +10 bonus, and your vassals like you more from the +25 bonus from born in the purple and augustus, so they're more likely to vote how you want them to.

pwnyXpress posted:

Also, the Kingdom of Georgia is the last bastion of Catholicism, and there are no Sunnis left. Cathar won dominance and is all over Spain and Brittania, and Shia took over most of Persia and Mesopotamia...and France. Tengri is the only pagan religion that hasn't reformed. Germany is Jain, Aquitaine/Lotharingia is Messalian, Italy/Sicily is Zoroastrian led by the descendant of the Saoshyant, and Hungary is Samaritan. The Tulinids are Jewish and formed the Kingdom of Israel, and Byzantine is a restored Roman Empire with Roman culture and Hellenic Pagan religion. A large Armenia remains Orthodox. Favorite thing so far? A Karling leading the Hashashin.

:catstare:

quote:

Yeah, I used the console to set up some ridiculous initial conditions in the Old Gods start. I'm really liking the way it turned out. Coming up on 1200, and I'm excited for some Aztecs to come and wipe out Cathar Brittania.

With the exception of hellenic pagan roman empire, that's still possible in Iron Man mode, but generally only by conquering the world first and handing off titles for shits and giggles.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 7, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, how does the "fabricate evidence of treason" plot work in HIP? It doesn't have an option to fire it off and it hasn't gone off despite being over 80% for years. Am I just unlucky or is it more complicated than vanilla plots?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Has anyone using HiP experienced character portraits in pop-ups and their county information panel vanishing and being left by an empty sphere? I'm trying to work out what's doing it as it's getting rather tedious to have to keep loading and re-loading.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SeaTard posted:

I bet getting conquered by the U Mad? is super annoying.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

De Jure Dukes of the empire can vote on the Emperor title.

I must just be really lucky then because I've never had anyone vote for another heir. Sorry guys my mistake.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So I'm playing my first merchant republic game as Amalfi, and the rules of succession confuse me somewhat. A completely awesome grandson is also set to inherit the Kingdom of Burgundy after the current king and his mother die. Would I have to form an empire or at least a kingdom with him in charge of it to keep him as a potential heir? If he's my character as head of house Polkarios and inherits a kingdom, is it a game over, or does it just turn into a normal feudal game, or does Burgundy turn into a merchant republic?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Guildencrantz posted:

Features include limiting wars based on traits (e.g. kind, honest charaters can't backstab allies) and my personally favorite submod: the duel engine, same as the GOT mod. That separates a character's ability to command troops and their skill at swinging a sword, and lets you risk your leader's life for the opportunity to turn the tide of battle by carving up the enemy commander in personal combat! :black101: Makes warrior kings lots of fun.

Seconding this, duels are super cool. I was playing as a high martial Byzantine Emperor waging a holy war for Karvuna against the re-Tengrified Bulgaria, and I got in a duel with one of his counts and relative, with something like 23 martial. I don't know if this was a bug or not, but the duel kept cycling through the combat event, maybe like 5 times, so it was like the entire battle froze as this raging duel took place, I wounded him twice. I would've spared his life at the end, but I didn't get the option. He had remained Orthodox too :(

Actually, looking at the save, it was 29 martial :psyduck:

Raserys fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 7, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Probably worth mentioning this here (skimmed the last few pages and I didn't see it mentioned): CK2 and all DLC is available on the Humble Store for £10.49; which is literally sixty quid off of its usual price and a third of the price of just the base game on Steam. Activates through steam, for those who find that important. Its available for seven more hours: so for those reading the thread who haven't got the game (like me); its a perfect way of getting into the game with the advantage of having all of the expansions and other poo poo that goes along with the game!

e: correction: it has some of the cosmetic DLC and the ones that let you rule as Republics and Muslim rulers: so its not everything. Its still a pretty loving good deal, mind you!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 7, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Raserys posted:

Seconding this, duels are super cool. I was playing as a high martial Byzantine Emperor waging a holy war for Karvuna against the re-Tengrified Bulgaria, and I got in a duel with one of his counts and relative, with something like 23 martial. I don't know if this was a bug or not, but the duel kept cycling through the combat event, maybe like 5 times, so it was like the entire battle froze as this raging duel took place, I wounded him twice. I would've spared his life at the end, but I didn't get the option. He had remained Orthodox too :(

Actually, looking at the save, it was 29 martial :psyduck:

Best guy I've had was a 31 skill magistrate. Problem is I've had him for 15 years now and he STILL hasn't managed to fabricate a claim!

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Thrasophius posted:

Best guy I've had was a 31 skill magistrate. Problem is I've had him for 15 years now and he STILL hasn't managed to fabricate a claim!

I sometimes feel like the MTTH is a little too high even for high skill advisors. I mod it down a little further.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Thrasophius posted:

Can't they get paid off? I thought I heard that they could. Maybe try moving him somewhere else?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

Sometimes it feels like reassigning the diplomat to the county/duchy you want to fabricate on every year or so makes it go along quicker, but that might just be me.

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's been said already, but make sure you give them a coastal county first, the duchy can be whatever you want though. For added income, make a republic close to your capital, then another one farther on down the coast or in a new continent. The republics won't fight over territory that way and they can expand pretty easily given the Trade Practices tech in that county is high enough, and that means more tax revenue for you.

Also make sure your city taxes are set to Soul-crushing High.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What determines how much money a trade republic makes anyway? Will giving them more holdings/loftier titles increase their revenue?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

What determines how much money a trade republic makes anyway? Will giving them more holdings/loftier titles increase their revenue?

Largely depends on how many trade posts they have, the location of these trade posts, and how upgraded their holdings are. Another thing to keep in mind when creating a republic is that to create trade posts, a republic needs trade practices at level two or above in their capital province. At the 867 start very few places have this. So it might be worthwhile waiting until you can tech up a suitable area before creating your vassal republic. Keep the location in your demesne and use your steward and spymaster to boost tech spread to it.

You could just create it and wait for the AI to finally get some trade posts but the AI can be stupid about not immediately prioritising trade practices like a human controlled republic would.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Also man this mod hosed up Vandad's face. What the hell, his mouth is an inch lower and twice as wide as it should be. He also got a lot whiter.

Oh good, I'm not the only one that had that problem. FWIW, it's VIET causing the weird faces.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

What no-one seems to have mentioned about HIP is that it also includes Project Balance, a big CK2+esque overhaul. It's not for everyone, and very much targeted for those who like to roleplay their characters, but what it does it does well. Features include limiting wars based on traits (e.g. kind, honest charaters can't backstab allies) and my personally favorite submod: the duel engine, same as the GOT mod. That separates a character's ability to command troops and their skill at swinging a sword, and lets you risk your leader's life for the opportunity to turn the tide of battle by carving up the enemy commander in personal combat! :black101: Makes warrior kings lots of fun.

Another mod that is on my personal must-have list is Additional Objectives, compatible with HIP. Like VIET, it's nothing but bonus content, and some pretty high-quality stuff.

Personally I vastly prefer warrior popes who do things like kill the French king in personal combat. :catholic::hf::black101:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

paranoid randroid posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one that had that problem. FWIW, it's VIET causing the weird faces.

It was a vanilla bug actually but it got patched out with the latest though VIET does tweak the portrait assets so maybe it just needs to be updated. If you still have it try starting a new game.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Edison was a dick posted:

:catstare:

With the exception of hellenic pagan roman empire, that's still possible in Iron Man mode, but generally only by conquering the world first and handing off titles for shits and giggles.

Yeah, I wanted to start with things weird and let them go naturally from there so that the world would feel a little more organic later on. Besides it was already a TON of work to manually go through the console and change all those rulers around, I'd hate to have to figure out how to keep people of so many different heresies and cultures around through a game just so that I could hand things out at the end.

That being said, I did a test export to EUIV to see how things turned out and there are a few things I'm going to need to fix (like Messalian showing up as noreligion, and some national ideas being totally inappropriate for the countries of my brave new world). Does anyone know much about editing a EUIV export? I guess I'll ask in that thread too when the time comes, but thought I'd throw it out there now since I've been playing a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rumda posted:

It was a vanilla bug actually but it got patched out with the latest though VIET does tweak the portrait assets so maybe it just needs to be updated. If you still have it try starting a new game.

I have it when starting a new game, is the thing. Whenever I check Vandad in the Old Gods start he looks like his nose and mouth were moved an inch away from each other and someone powdered his face liberally.

• Locked thread