Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Suitaru posted:

Doesn't she only sell three? She gets infinite chunks after killing the final boss. I just get mine from clearing the Shrine of Anime and asceticing the Aerie.

Yeah that works too. The game gives you a decent number of ways of getting quite a few in NG between lizards and vendors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Asehujiko posted:

Well none of the above matters any more because the Dark Chasm went and stopped functioning when I tabbed back into the game:

You have to be in the Abyss covenant to enter the chasm.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok, that would be fine if there actual time travel involved. But no matter how you slice it it doesn't make any sense that by interacting with a memory you're changing things in the present, past, or anywhere in time or space. It's a memory.

I think the article writer took the gameplay concession of allowing the player to take loot/souls from the memory as an indication that the player's action there we're actually occurring in the real (game) world. That's seems kind of dumb for what is otherwise a pretty good article.

Relax man, they straight out say at the start of the game that Drangelic is MAAAAAAGIC and TIME IS CRAZY HERE.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

deimos posted:

Most likely. What is your build? Which Dark Chasm are you doing?

For faith the Drangleic Castle is the easiest:
1. (sunlight|great lightning) spear snipe (Binocs) Not-Havel
2. Charge the caster ghost and melee it
3. (sunlight|great lightning) spear Not-Ricard from behind (the path that goes to the ghost caster doubles back into Ricard's nook.
4. Light the cauldron (do not do it before killing Not-Ricard because it seems to make him active and start patroling)
5. (sunlight|great lightning) spear snipe (Binocs) Scythe Phantom at the end
~~ FIN ~~

Do not let Not-Ricard or Not-Havel get close to you. They loving love shield break and Havel actually parried me once.

Oh poo poo. I didn't light the cauldron. Am I screwed?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spincut posted:

Oh poo poo. I didn't light the cauldron. Am I screwed?

You can reenter the abyss as many times as you like so long as you have the effigy for it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Buy them from Chloanne.

She only sells three so it's pointless. They added infinite twinkling in Dark Souls 1 so that you didn't have to grind at awful spots for them. Someone thought it was a good idea to bring grinding back.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Is service down? I checked farfire and it says it's up, but I can't connect. It took them forever to update farfire yesterday so I don't know if it's just me or not at this point.

EDIT: Working now.

Kiran fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 7, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do I need to kill all of the enemies in no-man's wharf before boarding the boat?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Annath posted:

Tips for beating the Royal Rat Vanguard (mohawk guy) go.

I've had semi-success surviving until he appears using that "call down the lightning" AOE spell, but eventually I get overwhelmed by adds... I can kill them in 2 swings, but those drat statues are a huge pain in this regard.

The greatsword works pretty good here, even in its base form, assuming you have enough strength to at least two-hand it. The LB attack it a straight overhead swing, which works great for attacking down the lanes made by the statues. LB,LB will usually wipe out anything in front of you. Try to keep the horde by the fog gate opposite the door you came in from; when the Vanguard's health bar pops up, run back to where you came in. He drops into the room there and, since all the rats are all the way across the room, you'll have enough time to get off three attacks on him before the first of his flunkies trundles into attack range. Keep your back to the fog gate while doing that and flip back after your third attack to dodge any attacks, keep him in your sights and get two, maybe three, more LB attacks in as quickly as you can. That should do it.

Incidentally, this is a really good place to grind souls if your weapon has a moveset similar to the greatsword, since you can wade in and kill as many rats as you please and, even if you die, your bloodstain is close by and really easy to get to before the rats start coming into the room.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jose posted:

Do I need to kill all of the enemies in no-man's wharf before boarding the boat?

No but if you don't, you'll get ambushed from behind once you get on the boat

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jose posted:

You don't HAVE to, but it's recommended you at least take care of the guys hanging off the bridge first.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do enemies scale with NG+ forever or do they stop getting stronger after NG7+ or so like in the last game?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Wiseblood posted:

You don't HAVE to, but it's recommended you at least take care of the guys hanging off the bridge first.

If you have Licia with you she'll stop on the docks where the enemies are hanging and refuse to go forward. Ambush averted.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

She only sells three so it's pointless. They added infinite twinkling in Dark Souls 1 so that you didn't have to grind at awful spots for them. Someone thought it was a good idea to bring grinding back.

It seems like a bizarrely poor decision that they took two issues that were fixed in patches in dark souls 1, rare twinkling titanite and rare drops off of despawning enemies, and not only un-fixed them but actually made them worse.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Just spent some time spamming the dried fingers in the Grave of Saints. Some of the ratbros looked like they were trying for serious pvp, some of them were absolutely terrible, some of them were mysteriously absent as I leisurely jogged to the end, and one of them was Kettel and knew how to host a proper loving dungeon. He laid out items as bait and put down paths of prism stones and threw down Gough's carvings. When I saw that I was being summoned into their world for a second time I switched from my murderin' weapon to the claws so we could have a proper funhaver fight, which culminated in a double KO and I didn't even mind that my third dragon ring got broken in the acid.

Despite the variances absolutely everyone had both of the drawbridges down, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FrickenMoron posted:

Pursuer exists to get you ready for pvp, check out those lagstabs!

And people keep trying to tell me that hitboxes in this game aren't the brokenest poo poo.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jose posted:

I think you're asking how to get the boat to come to the pier, there's a switch high up on the upper levels overlooking the pier, pull that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

It seems like a bizarrely poor decision that they took two issues that were fixed in patches in dark souls 1, rare twinkling titanite and rare drops off of despawning enemies, and not only un-fixed them but actually made them worse.

There's absolutely no point to limiting quantities of anything once you've beaten the game. What difference does it make it you hit up Anime Shrine over and over again, or do anything else and just buy ores at that point? It's terribly stupid.

quote:

And people keep trying to tell me that hitboxes in this game aren't the brokenest poo poo.
They are with monsters, at least. For some reason a lot of non-humanoid enemies just have first-gen monster hunter levels of broken hitboxes.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
Is there a way to reliably play the game with a friend like a half-rear end co-op? I only got to play Dark Souls about 1/4th of the way before GFWL started acting up and finished in offline. If I got a copy for a friend and myself would we be able to summon each other all the time, most of the time, never?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

david... posted:

I think you're asking how to get the boat to come to the pier, there's a switch high up on the upper levels overlooking the pier, pull that.

Nah I'd summoned the boat but then got rushed after going onto it, was wondering if it triggered everyone in no-man's wharf or just the guys on the bridge

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lukavi posted:

Is there a way to reliably play the game with a friend like a half-rear end co-op? I only got to play Dark Souls about 1/4th of the way before GFWL started acting up and finished in offline. If I got a copy for a friend and myself would we be able to summon each other all the time, most of the time, never?

You could have typed ds2 play with friend and hit search and gotten an answer already

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lukavi posted:

There's a relatively cheap ring that facilitates this but I don't know how well it works.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
LORE SPECULATION:

Considering the fact that the protagonist starts his journey to Drangleic by jumping into a whirlpool of souls that opens up by the ruined gates of the missing kingdom, it's fair to posit that Drangleic both is and isn't built over Lordran. All of the experimenting done with the lord souls and all that assorted primal stuff within the kingdom basically pulled it into into whatever weird dreamtime Lordran existed in, and Drangleic now exists superimposed over it; aspects of Lordran sort of bleed through into Drangleic, making it all convoluted and weird.

My theory, anyways.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bobnumerotres posted:

They are with monsters, at least. For some reason a lot of non-humanoid enemies just have first-gen monster hunter levels of broken hitboxes.
Really, it's silly. I don't know what's up with that, I don't remember them being that bad in either of the predecessors. It's such a low-effort mistake to make.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is the fact my gate near McDuff, and pretty much everyone's whose world I got summoned to closed mean they went to Lost Bastille from beating the Pursuer?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jose posted:

Is the fact my gate near McDuff, and pretty much everyone's whose world I got summoned to closed mean they went to Lost Bastille from beating the Pursuer?
A lot of people probably did. The game more or less tells you to go to Forest of Giants right away and doesn't do much to point out that there are alternative routes. Most people probably assumed that Lost Bastille is the linear progression. I certainly did, the first time around.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
Got my second Grand Lance, which means that...

...the pain train has arrived. :getin:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jose posted:

Uh, not really. McDuff's door is opened by the Bastille Key, which is available no matter which route to Bastille you take.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

skasion posted:

Uh, not really. McDuff's door is opened by the Bastille Key, which is available no matter which route to Bastille you take.

Think they're referring to the gate that you open by pulling the switch on one side, next to the dogs, not the locked door-grate you're talking about. I know that I went FoFG > Bastille and had that gate closed for a long time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tensei posted:

Got my second Grand Lance, which means that...

...the pain train has arrived. :getin:

This is pretty great. Is it actually a powerful build too?

Also would putting Poison on my Manikin Claws be a good fit? Those quick jabs in the power stance might be good to inflict some Poison.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now

satanic splash-back posted:

You could have typed ds2 play with friend and hit search and gotten an answer already

Not at work, the filters kill anything "Entertainment" and "Games" leaves SA open for some reason, Super helpful though :jerkbag:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

skasion posted:

Or an exploding barrel there to do nothing but explode a wall.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lukavi posted:

My buddy and I are doing a Coop playthrough. As long as you guys are in the same SM range and get the engraved ring and pick the same god, you'll be able to summon each other constantly. It's also the only way Soul Memory makes sense, you'll make different decisions on when to level and what to buy but the person who doesn't level won't end up straight up better than the leveler.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Suitaru posted:

Doesn't she only sell three? She gets infinite chunks after killing the final boss. I just get mine from clearing the Shrine of Anime and asceticing the Aerie.

You can literally get infinite twinkling by doing the memory of jeigh over and over. theres an ascetic, and a corpse before the tree that re spawns with every ascetic you use.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bobnumerotres posted:

The rat hound/infested hollow really bug me with this. It feels like I take damage from their attack before it has really animated.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

mysterious frankie posted:

The greatsword works pretty good here, even in its base form, assuming you have enough strength to at least two-hand it. The LB attack it a straight overhead swing, which works great for attacking down the lanes made by the statues. LB,LB will usually wipe out anything in front of you. Try to keep the horde by the fog gate opposite the door you came in from; when the Vanguard's health bar pops up, run back to where you came in. He drops into the room there and, since all the rats are all the way across the room, you'll have enough time to get off three attacks on him before the first of his flunkies trundles into attack range. Keep your back to the fog gate while doing that and flip back after your third attack to dodge any attacks, keep him in your sights and get two, maybe three, more LB attacks in as quickly as you can. That should do it.

Incidentally, this is a really good place to grind souls if your weapon has a moveset similar to the greatsword, since you can wade in and kill as many rats as you please and, even if you die, your bloodstain is close by and really easy to get to before the rats start coming into the room.

along these lines, if you have santier's spear it is absolutely one of the best weapons for tight quarters. It's completely unaffected by hitting a wall. I didn't have it by the time I did it(jumped down pretty early) but I managed it with the Great Sword, after my 10th try probably.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
99 problems but a soft cap ain't one :shepface:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 24, 2014

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83G6DHrfhq8

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Yodzilla posted:

This is pretty great. Is it actually a powerful build too?

The grand lance in and of itself is pretty amazing for PvE because it has good reach, high counter damage (I did upwards of 1k damage per hit to the Rotten on NG+) and a lot of poise damage for a thrusting weapon. Dualwielding it is a bit gimmicky since I'm sacrificing a shield slot for a marginal increase in damage, but it looks way cooler. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Does lighting a bonfire do the entire zone or just the small area attached to the bonfire? I ask because I was trying to get that warlock helmet from the mob just outside the singing girls place. If I just made the entire anime zone +3 im going to be fuuuucked. :(