Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://flowhub.io

watch the video, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gazpacho posted:

if that weren't enough, it's also apparent in checkout.c

:stare:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

double sulk posted:

watch the video, lmao

full stack

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlsoD posted:

full stack

i think that's british for "likes to dress up in a tron costume and watch anime"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MononcQc posted:

Maybe you're just suffering from stackholm syndrome

stackoverflowm syndrome

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"if"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

double sulk posted:

watch the video, lmao

web 4.0... has arrived

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

any argument about interface usability that references the source code, however conditionally, is not doing itself favors. if you think the internals of the implementation are at all relevant to judging the clarity of the commands, you need a time-out. get a soda, sing some "free software song", unroll some loops.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

Peer-to-peer full-stack visual programming for your fingers.

yup there goes the first seal, hold on to your butts shits about to get real

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlekMbGCMI

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You Can Code Too

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

double sulk posted:

watch the video, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dos61_6sss

i watched it and i still have no idea what the gently caress this is

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

uncurable mlady posted:

the future

#disrupteverything

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Subjunctive posted:

any argument about interface usability that references the source code, however conditionally, is not doing itself favors. if you think the internals of the implementation are at all relevant to judging the clarity of the commands, you need a time-out. get a soda, sing some "free software song", unroll some loops.
i'm not claiming that the source code has anything to do with clarity, only that it is the ultimate arbiter of how many "totally unrelated things" a command does

if someone has a fundamentally wrong model of the tool in their head due to bad training, the source code can be used to recover (and then describe for other people) the correct model

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 7, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gazpacho posted:

i'm not claiming that the source code has anything to do with clarity, only that it is the ultimate arbiter of how many "totally unrelated things" a command does

if someone has a fundamentally wrong model of the tool in their head due to bad training, the source code can be used to recover (and then describe for other people) the correct model

the source code is not the "ultimate arbiter" of what things are "totally unrelated" because "totally unrelated" is an unavoidably fuzzy and informal assessment. you are trying to respond to subjective critique by appealing to formal documentation and it is not terribly compelling

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

lol

just lol

i cant even start a reply

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
Max/MSP IN THE CLOUD is gonna change the world folks.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

double sulk posted:

watch the video, lmao

"tight github integration"

keep going i'm almost there

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"bitcoin friendly payment system"

"funded by kickstarter"

dear god i'm coming everywhere

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

:wow: this has everything, nodejs, github, and bitcoin

e: and kickstarter!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

GrumpyDoctor posted:

the source code is not the "ultimate arbiter" of what things are "totally unrelated" because "totally unrelated" is an unavoidably fuzzy and informal assessment. you are trying to respond to subjective critique by appealing to formal documentation and it is not terribly compelling
you're using "subjective critique" as a euphemism for lies

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gazpacho posted:

Yeah, except that you were?

Gazpacho posted:

it does exactly what the name says, it checks out a branch (which in that particular mode it also creates). this is explicit in the docs and if that weren't enough, it's also apparent in checkout.c

"the docs are explicit. if that is not sufficient to make it clear what the command does, then the contents of checkout.c will help." is that not a fair representation of what you said? I think "but the source codes!" is a ridiculous response to "the way these commands interact isn't clear", even though I agree that checkout as a way to select branches is if nothing else consistent with the history of version control tools.

Happily, someone has automated away the Sisyphean task of trolling git zealots.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's apparent in the code to anyone who is fluent in C. i never once suggested the source code to "help" random people who are confused by the documentation (which is entirely suffcient in this case)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
one would think that you'd understand the implications of "weren't" in that context

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gazpacho posted:

one would think that you'd understand the implications of "weren't" in that context

my username is "subjunctive", i got this

M31
Jun 12, 2012
"git push origin :branch-name" is the best command
it deletes a branch

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

M31 posted:

"git push origin :branch-name" is the best command
it deletes a branch
that's really dumb and should be removed

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Gazpacho posted:

That's probably the biggest problem though. Imagine that rather than people writing their own porcelain, or haphazardly moving commands around when they individually don't make sense, a team of interface people did testing, research and came up with an ideal command line structure for git. You don't need to look at the source code or the docs here, how people are actually using and thinking about the product is a far more relevant metric to use for designing the interface.

Git is flexible enough that you could do all this without touching the internals too. Its a big undertaking but you could dramatically improve the experience and prevent people doing dumb poo poo in the command line that is inherently destructive. (with no way to confirm that's what you meant or take it back)

Probably never happen though, partially because people insist git is 'fine', and I say that as someone who uses it every day, and find its benefits far outweigh these problems in small teams. As the teams get larger, taking on juniors, new people all the time, etc, its kind of more murky though. I know some of the guys I worked with in a contractor job would be basically lost without SourceTree, and even then when things got difficult they needed help from someone who understood the branching model better.

While its ones right to cast derision on people who have trouble with basic branch management it is a real thing - just crossing your arms and saying they should be doing/know better won't address the issue. Training helps, but so does a more intuitively designed command line.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

uncurable mlady posted:

it's even got a medium article, that is mostly about the UI. and it's all in javascript

and this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJHT2vARAOQ

sinekumquat fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 7, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a lot of that is in github/gerrit/phabricator+arcanist, so there are some options. arcanist cuts my git-related stackexchange searches in half, easily.

i'm less bullish on the idea of deeply-researched porcelain. VCS use is sort of a pattern language for development, and i think there's a limit on how well it hangs together because of the need for generality. more people should write wrappers or plugins for git for their stuff, though, because the payoff is huge.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

There's probably some dude somewhere who defends the idea saying that `git push remote localname:remotename` is just the same as `git push remote :remotename` where in the latter case you're pushing nothing to the remotename branch, you see, so it gets deleted.

At least I wouldn't expect less from git users as a group.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

There's probably some dude somewhere who defends the idea saying that `git push remote localname:remotename` is just the same as `git push remote :remotename` where in the latter case you're pushing nothing to the remotename branch, you see, so it gets deleted.

At least I wouldn't expect less from git users as a group.

thanks for the actual explanation; i knew i'd seen it somewhere and thought "yes, that's completely logical in a very cold way". it's very unix like that (this is not entirely a complaint)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

"git push remote :branch" was the official and only way to delete remote branches for a good long time, "git push --delete remote branch" came later

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prefect posted:

thanks for the actual explanation; i knew i'd seen it somewhere and thought "yes, that's completely logical in a very cold way". it's very unix like that (this is not entirely a complaint)

*nix turbonerd like i said

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

a lot of that is in github/gerrit/phabricator+arcanist, so there are some options. arcanist cuts my git-related stackexchange searches in half, easily.

i'm less bullish on the idea of deeply-researched porcelain. VCS use is sort of a pattern language for development, and i think there's a limit on how well it hangs together because of the need for generality. more people should write wrappers or plugins for git for their stuff, though, because the payoff is huge.

some fucker at work stole my copy of posa 2 and now used copies are like 60 bucks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just started poking around nimrod lately.

it owns.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
git push origin :branch doesn't bother me at all, you guys get worked up about weird things sometimes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweeper posted:

git push origin :branch doesn't bother me at all, you guys get worked up about weird things sometimes
i figured shrughes would be the one to say this

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I dunno as someone who had no idea what git push origin :branch did it doesn't bother me either

I mean, it's not like you would do that accidentally or even have it in your mental model, right? you'd just read about it somewhere and think "huh, that's weird. I guess it kind of makes sense but that's weird." but it's not going to limit anybody's comprehension of git

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

i figured shrughes would be the one to say this

dont compare me to him ty