Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Motronic posted:

Neither of those are examples of "EXTREMELY high mileage". Those aren't 1970s shitboxes that need to go in the crusher at 80k miles. One can expect to get well over 200k out of any modern decent quality vehicle if it's being maintained.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess my yardstick was a bit off, I'm used to seeing vehicles above 200,000 miles with either low compression or failing transmissions, and I'd assume that unless the PO has done suspension work they'll need new shocks / springs / wheel bearings sometime soon-ish.

I guess I'm also wondering why someone who drives that much and takes good care of their cars is selling them at 3 years old. If it will keep on going just fine to half a million miles, why not keep driving it 50k a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I guess I'm also wondering why someone who drives that much and takes good care of their cars is selling them at 3 years old. If it will keep on going just fine to half a million miles, why not keep driving it 50k a year?

If I spent that much time in a vehicle I'd sure as hell want a new one as often as possible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

If I spent that much time in a vehicle I'd sure as hell want a new one as often as possible.

Yes. And it is quite likely they're driving for business, so their employer probably pays most, if not all, the car payments, so why not buy a new car every 3 years?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

Yes. And it is quite likely they're driving for business, so their employer probably pays most, if not all, the car payments, so why not buy a new car every 3 years?

That also means they drove it like a total rear end in a top hat with no care. IE why you shouldn't ever buy a former fleet/rental vehicle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IRQ posted:

That also means they drove it like a total rear end in a top hat with no care. IE why you shouldn't ever buy a former fleet/rental vehicle.

There's a difference between a fleet vehicle (owned by the company) and a vehicle owned by the driver, whose payments are made by the employer. Namely, who pays for poo poo when iut breaks and who takes the hit if it sells for less than the average vehicle.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Looking to replace an 05 Hyundai Tucson:

Proposed Budget: $25-30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (short commute) plus hauling cargo and dogs around car
What aspects are most important to you? 4 wheel drive (living in the midwest, snow will happen), cargo space, comfort for long road trips, don't need a nav system but XM radio and an iPod hookup would be nice.

This is my husband's car and he's looking at CR-Vs or a newer Tucson right now but is open to suggestions of other medium SUVs to look at as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Generally in that segment I recommend the RAV4 or CRV. The RAV4 with the V6 is actually a pretty quick car for what it is. I'm unfamiliar with the new Escape but haven't heard many bad things about them. All three are worth a test drive IMO and see which one you like best

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We have a '13 escape and I like it a lot. Handles the winter mountain snows of Colorado great. But I really don't like the interior look without the nav and touch screen. I would give it a test drive for sure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (short commute) plus hauling cargo and dogs around car
What aspects are most important to you? 4 wheel drive (living in the midwest, snow will happen), cargo space, comfort for long road trips, don't need a nav system but XM radio and an iPod hookup would be nice.

This is my husband's car and he's looking at CR-Vs or a newer Tucson right now but is open to suggestions of other medium SUVs to look at as well.

You're shot changing yourself if you don't look at the new Forester. Pretty good fuel economy in the new ones.
The current outback is a bit long in the tooth, there is a new one in 2015. This either means you can get a really good deal on a 2014 or you should wait for the 2015s.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

nm posted:

You're shot changing yourself if you don't look at the new Forester. Pretty good fuel economy in the new ones.
The current outback is a bit long in the tooth, there is a new one in 2015. This either means you can get a really good deal on a 2014 or you should wait for the 2015s.

He's somewhat anti-Subaru, he says they're "grandma tanks". He could probably be swayed by looking at one in person though. I sent him a link to their hybrid SUV (Crosstrek?) and didn't really get a response.

I looked at consumer reports and they like the CRV, Mazda CX5 and a couple Subarus. We'll probably look at those plus a RAV4. We're not buying till later this year (September-ish) so we could probably swing a good deal on a 2014.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He's somewhat anti-Subaru, he says they're "grandma tanks". He could probably be swayed by looking at one in person though. I sent him a link to their hybrid SUV (Crosstrek?) and didn't really get a response.

I looked at consumer reports and they like the CRV, Mazda CX5 and a couple Subarus. We'll probably look at those plus a RAV4. We're not buying till later this year (September-ish) so we could probably swing a good deal on a 2014.
He has the completely wrong stereotypes re: Subarus.

That said, if he's worried about not looking like an old lady, he probably shouldn't buy a cute-ute.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Check out the latest IIHS safety ratings. Forester, CX5 and Rogue all do well, better than CRV RAV 4 or Escape I think- on my phone so can't confirm.

I can't really think of any compelling reason to go with the latter over the former, the V6 RAV 4 is gone, so if you want power in this segment the turbo forester is it.

If you want size there is the equinox and terrain which are slightly larger for about the same price but fuel economy suffers as you would expect.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Proposed Budget: Flexible, 60-70k
New or Used: Either, though preferably new/like new
Body Style: Most likely 2-door, would be open to 4-door
How will you be using the car?: Commuting: ~45 miles total commute distance per day on the freeway. Fun/spirited driving: I want some pep in that step and I prefer a manual transmission.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, cost of maintenance, comfortable to sit in/operate (I don't want to be miserable inside of it). I'm going to willingly sacrifice MPG for this.

I've grown a lot over the past few years and I've realized that I'm not going to be young forever. I'm a computer nerd and used to be really introverted. All throughout school/college, I focused on my studies at the expense of a rich social life. I'm in a pretty good place because of it, though, and I have my poo poo together. I've got a good job, I just paid off my student loans after just 3 years, and I have really good credit. I've always driven fairly conservative vehicles: '99 Camry, '97 Civic, '07 Eclipse (one of my many hard life lessons learned, ugh). A year ago I dared to 'walk on the wild side' by getting a 2012 Civic Si. But now, I want to say gently caress it. I want to have something stupid fun and not-so-practical before I end up being a boring family man driving a minivan or something.

If it wasn't obvious, I've been glued to foreign manufacturers my entire life... But domestics aren't out of the question! Right now I have the Shelby GT500 and the Camaro ZL1 on my radar as well as the sexy Corvette Stingray.

I'm normally pretty self-conscious about talking cars with others, but I come to ~*goons*~ once more for guidance. My knowledge of the auto world is limited; I'm willing to be the first to admit that I don't know poo poo about how all the guts of a car work together. Have mercy on me and be gentle; guide this eager soul!

Thanks, all!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A few questions

Have you considered leasing? It could be a good option for you, especially if you don't plan on keeping the car longer than 3 years.

Can you help give us a better idea of what kind of car you are looking for? Raw power, luxury and speed? Out of the following 3 cars, which one tickles your fancy the most?

Audi RS5

Ford Mustang GT500

Cadillac CTS-V

All 3 of those cars are in your price range, but they're all a bit different.

Throatwarbler posted:

the V6 RAV 4 is gone,

Aww hell, when did that happen?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm in a 2009 CR-V right now and am dying to get rid of it. The seats SUCK and feel like they were pulled from the Accords. I'm constantly shifting my legs around to get comfortable.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

skipdogg posted:

A few questions

Have you considered leasing? It could be a good option for you, especially if you don't plan on keeping the car longer than 3 years.

I've considered it, but I don't think it's the best solution for me in the long run.

skipdogg posted:

Can you help give us a better idea of what kind of car you are looking for? Raw power, luxury and speed? Out of the following 3 cars, which one tickles your fancy the most?

Audi RS5

Ford Mustang GT500

Cadillac CTS-V

All 3 of those cars are in your price range, but they're all a bit different.

Sure thing, I will do my best! While my driving is currently commuting and for-fun, I've been thinking about trying to get into track days as well. I'm not a gearhead so I don't really feel comfortable with a car that I need to tinker and mod to get some ultimate experience; I'd prefer to have something that's good stock. Acceleration is probably the most important thing to me because that's what I'll be feeling, but raw power probably doesn't mean much if the wheels spin for eternity.

Out of those three, the GT500 is still probably the most interesting to me. I hadn't really considered Cadillacs; they've always felt like grandma cars to me. Admittedly, that's because all vehicles my grandmother ever owned were Cadillacs...

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Makky posted:

I've considered it, but I don't think it's the best solution for me in the long run.

Sure thing, I will do my best! While my driving is currently commuting and for-fun, I've been thinking about trying to get into track days as well. I'm not a gearhead so I don't really feel comfortable with a car that I need to tinker and mod to get some ultimate experience; I'd prefer to have something that's good stock. Acceleration is probably the most important thing to me because that's what I'll be feeling, but raw power probably doesn't mean much if the wheels spin for eternity.

Out of those three, the GT500 is still probably the most interesting to me. I hadn't really considered Cadillacs; they've always felt like grandma cars to me. Admittedly, that's because all vehicles my grandmother ever owned were Cadillacs...

Besides the Audi, I'd also look at a BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. They are going to be similar to the Audi, but are additional options for German high power luxury sedans.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If he's interested in track days I'd go Corvette to be honest. I'm not sure there's a more track ready car from the factory than a Corvette. (Special edition models like the new Z/28 don't count). Maybe the new Mustang with the track pack.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

skipdogg posted:

If he's interested in track days I'd go Corvette to be honest. I'm not sure there's a more track ready car from the factory than a Corvette. (Special edition models like the new Z/28 don't count). Maybe the new Mustang with the track pack.

I definitely agree with you, I just don't know how comfortable they are (since he mentioned that he wanted a car that he could be comfortable in). Most of the American cars provide nice engines, but the interiors can lack because of it. I guess it really depends on which is more important for him.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I definitely agree with you, I just don't know how comfortable they are (since he mentioned that he wanted a car that he could be comfortable in). Most of the American cars provide nice engines, but the interiors can lack because of it. I guess it really depends on which is more important for him.

For what it's worth, I sat in and test drove a 2014 Camaro SS (not quite a ZL1 I know) and it was fairly comfortable to sit in. If other American cars are remotely near this, I think I'd be in good shape. I'm going to try and check out a GT500 this evening so I'll know for sure how it feels on my tush and back then.

skipdogg posted:

Those are definitely on my radar. I did get to sit in one of the new Corvette Stingrays, but the dealership closest to me won't let me test drive it. Also it's really hard to find manual 'vettes around here for some reason.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, for trackdays but not interested in modifying or repairing car and want lots of power, I think the list comes down to a Mustang GT w/ Track Pack or a Boss 302 if you can find it, or a well outfitted Corvette.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Makky posted:

Those are definitely on my radar. I did get to sit in one of the new Corvette Stingrays, but the dealership closest to me won't let me test drive it. Also it's really hard to find manual 'vettes around here for some reason.

The new Corvette is surprisingly nice inside. For the commute you will definitely want the magnetic ride suspension, soft when you want it for the commute and full track mode is legit. I actually got to do the Stingray Precision drive event and took one out on an actual track (in addition to slalom and autocross) and if I were in the market for that kind of car it would be really hard to beat at that price point.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

I'm in a 2009 CR-V right now and am dying to get rid of it. The seats SUCK and feel like they were pulled from the Accords. I'm constantly shifting my legs around to get comfortable.

Good to know. I had an '04 CR-V and it was alright but it did get uncomfortable after a little while on road trips.

We've got it narrowed down to these five in no particular order:

Nissan Rogue SV
Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
Honda CR-V EX
Toyota RAV4 XLE
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Anyone have thoughts on these? How'd you rank them from best to worst?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

Aww hell, when did that happen?

Went away with the last generation.

The RS5 is auto only.

Consider a 2012+ C6 GS w/manual. Those should be coming down to under $40k mark now, the '12s have the improved seats and interior and the GS/manual will have the dry sump and the Z06 brakes, wheels and wider fenders. More power than I'll ever be able to handle and you can save the rest of your money for consumables.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Makky posted:

Honestly, if I were starting out track days, my new $60-70k car with a note on it would not be my first choice (also, don't track a leased car unless you are 100% sure you have actual insurance cover on it).
I'd buy a $60k car and a <$10k track car (aka Miata) for that.

Otherwise, the CTS-V is perhaps the least grandma car you can buy. Get the wagon! (No, really. Every car guy on earth will think you are awesome and everone else will be confused). That said, if you want a coupe, I'd get something else, the CTS-V coupe is a bit meh compared to a GT500 or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What about a Lotus?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Leperflesh posted:

What about a Lotus?

If you mean the Evora, it's not very luxurious, and in terms of performance a Vette will run circles around it while still offering lots of luxury by comparison. It still shares a platform with the Elise so....

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

nm posted:

Honestly, if I were starting out track days, my new $60-70k car with a note on it would not be my first choice (also, don't track a leased car unless you are 100% sure you have actual insurance cover on it).
I'd buy a $60k car and a <$10k track car (aka Miata) for that.

You're absolutely right. I'm having a hard time getting my thoughts and priorities together and I don't know what I was thinking when I said that. It'd be fun, but I doubt I'd want to take something that expensive out to the track.

nm posted:

Otherwise, the CTS-V is perhaps the least grandma car you can buy. Get the wagon! (No, really. Every car guy on earth will think you are awesome and everone else will be confused). That said, if you want a coupe, I'd get something else, the CTS-V coupe is a bit meh compared to a GT500 or something.

It's not terribly attractive (to me), but do you mind me asking what's so special about the wagon?

I test drove a 2013 Shelby GT500 yesterday and it was loving amazing. Unfortunately it's bad timing because I need to wait a bit longer for my finances to settle because I just made a huge payoff to my student loan. Also they were asking more than I was willing to pay. Still a great car, though.

Leperflesh posted:

What about a Lotus?

I'm with Throatwarbler. I like the look of the Lotus vehicles but the spartan interior is a huge turnoff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mkay. I'd never gotten to sit in one (and I was thinking of an elise s) so I didn't know they were that spartan. I'd just had a vague impression of Lotuses as being track gods due to incredibly lightweight construction and the tiny nimble car feel.

So, what about the low-end porsches? A new Cayman GT or slightly used GTS would be in the price range...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Makky posted:

It's not terribly attractive (to me), but do you mind me asking what's so special about the wagon?

It's a 556 horsepower station wagon, extremely low production numbers, and wagons tend to be perceived as exotic by American car guys because we don't really get them here.

I'm surprised you liked the GT500 that much, have you driven a Boss 302?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How do you feel about a Cayman? It's not "big power" in the same way as some of the other cars that have been suggested but it is very quick and pretty good around a track out of the box.

Due to price increases you would have a difficult time getting one but I can't help but think you have GT-R written all over you, except maybe the manual thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Leperflesh posted:

Mkay. I'd never gotten to sit in one (and I was thinking of an elise s) so I didn't know they were that spartan.

Oh you. :allears:

The seats in an Elise are hard racing buckets that have no recline adjustment that are bolted pretty much flat to the floor and the doorsills come up to your chest. The distance between the two seats are such that any passenger who isn't your wife/husband probably should be. People over 6 ft tall pretty much won't fit inside. I guess there isn't much cheap plastic because half the interior is just bare rear end metal frame rails.

People who want an Elise really want an Elise.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

wagons tend to be perceived as exotic
:laffo: So it's come to this. I guess they've looped back around past the unknown stage.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So *my girlfriend* has a new job and an old car, and she's looking to get a new car to go with the commute she'll be making. She's been driving a 2003 Mini, which she loves and has had since her parents got it for her brand new back in high school, and she wants to replace it with a compact or subcompact hatchback.

Here's what she says she wants:

- high reliability
- fuel efficiency
- leather seats
- manual transmission (if available)
- iPod/mp3 player connectivity
- heated seats
- folding back seats/good cargo space
- as far under $30k as possible while still including the above

The car options she wants to look at once we've moved into our new place are:

- Mazda3 s 5-door Grand Touring
- Ford Fiesta Titanium
- next year's Honda Fit (whichever trim seems best)
- keeping her current car and getting a bunch of maintenance done

Anything else not on the list that would be a good option?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

:laffo: So it's come to this. I guess they've looped back around past the unknown stage.

Only stupidly fast rare wagons. The CTS-V wagon in manual is probably rarer than anything Ferrari sold this year. The E63 AMG wagon has the highest income buyers of any vehicle Mercedes sells (and even rarer than the E63.)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Apollodorus posted:

So *my girlfriend* has a new job and an old car, and she's looking to get a new car to go with the commute she'll be making. She's been driving a 2003 Mini, which she loves and has had since her parents got it for her brand new back in high school, and she wants to replace it with a compact or subcompact hatchback.

Here's what she says she wants:

- high reliability
- fuel efficiency
- leather seats
- manual transmission (if available)
- iPod/mp3 player connectivity
- heated seats
- folding back seats/good cargo space
- as far under $30k as possible while still including the above

The car options she wants to look at once we've moved into our new place are:

- Mazda3 s 5-door Grand Touring
- Ford Fiesta Titanium
- next year's Honda Fit (whichever trim seems best)
- keeping her current car and getting a bunch of maintenance done

Anything else not on the list that would be a good option?

For the Fiesta I would look long and hard at what the actual difference in price would be between a similarly equipped Titanium vs the ST. The extra power, 6 speed trans, leather Recaros are pretty sweet, the actual difference is probably at beast a few grand and you are guaranteed to get that back in resale value on a ST vs a Titanium. The Fiesta does not have a lot of cargo space though.

I think you've pretty much covered all the bases there because a lot of the other makes make it so that you can't get the manual trans with the heated leather seats, so it's either those or a BMW/Audi.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 8, 2014

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Proposed Budget:
23000USD
New or Used:
Either is fine by me
Body Style: Hatchback, 2 door or small 4 door.
How will you be using the car?
Short trips around a city based on interstates and 55mph boulevards with weekly hour+ highway trips.

Most important factors to me are that the car is entertaining/pleasurable to drive, and if not super reliable at least not ludicrously expensive to have worked on. I'm also qualified for the supplier/partner pricing on new vehicles from GM, Nissan, Chrysler, and the X Plan from Ford.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Define what "entertaining/pleasurable to drive" means to you.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Fiesta ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Throatwarbler posted:

For the Fiesta I would look long and hard at what the actual difference in price would be between a similarly equipped Titanium vs the ST. The extra power, 6 speed trans, leather Recaros are pretty sweet, the actual difference is probably at beast a few grand and you are guaranteed to get that back in resale value on a ST vs a Titanium. The Fiesta does not have a lot of cargo space though.

Yeah it's about $3k price different. Resale value is something she hadn't been thinking about, I believe you have a very good point there.

Also the ST would be more fun for me to borrow, so....