Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Andrew Brandt had a good writeup on the NFL draft from the front office's perspective: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-war-rooms/

Highlights:

Andrew Brandt posted:

It was surreal as I watched Mike on television talking to me. I could not really tell him anything, as Ted wanted to see if an offer for extra picks would come while we were on the clock. The room and the phone lines were eerily silent—with all eyes on Ted and on me holding the phone—as everyone waited for the decision. Finally, after 10 minutes that seemed like 10 hours, Ted gave the go-ahead: We were taking Aaron.

Aaron won everyone over soon after arriving in Green Bay, but to this day I sometimes think about how the NFL balance of power could be different if that phone had rang with a trade offer during those excruciating 10 minutes.

Andrew Brandt posted:

In the 2003 post-draft chaos, one of our scouts yelled out, “Anyone want to sign this quarterback Romo? He’s from Wisconsin.” Crickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gohuskies posted:

4 years, $57.4 million, $40 million guaranteed. Edit: Beaten

HaHa if the 49ers make that last pass this deal would have never happened.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Less than the Revis amount of 16 million per year (yeah yeah guaranteed and all that poo poo whatever) is really surprising to me. Guess Sherman isn't the total narcissist so many people make him out to be.

lol, jesus dude.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Chichevache posted:

Less than the Revis amount of 16 million per year (yeah yeah guaranteed and all that poo poo whatever) is really surprising to me. Guess Sherman isn't the total narcissist so many people make him out to be.

Dude has a Stanford education. He's probably managing his money well and his intelligence means he can get a decent job that's not sports analyst when he gets out. He can afford to pick the team he wants to play for without needing to max the money.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Holy loving gently caress, that's a lot of money for a four year deal.

Smart though. Schneider has been giving out four year contracts to most of our stars who could fade at any moment. Marshawn, Earl, and now Richard are all on four year contracts. I'm not a cap guru, but I find it fascinating that he is avoiding the six or seven year contracts that are so popular with other teams trying to spread out the cap hit. Whatever. Schneider has proven himself to be on of, if not the, best GMs in the league and he is infallible until I see something indicating otherwise.

DangerKat posted:

lol, jesus dude.

I'm being slightly sarcastic, but if you read through the last year or two of TFF there has been considerable speculation that he would want Revis money, considering how he brought attention to himself by comparing himself favorably to Revis. The fact that he didn't want a $16,000,001 per year contract, regardless of how much of that would be impossible to achieve, is absolutely noteworthy considering how he is viewed by most fans. I for one am actually surprised that it wasn't a point of emphasis to be THE HIGHEST PAID CORNER IN LEAGUE HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! regardless of how much is guaranteed.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 7, 2014

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Elephanthead posted:

HaHa if the 49ers make that last pass this deal would have never happened.

And yet that pass probably saved the Niners a bunch of money on Kap's next contract - an actual argument from a Field Gulls article.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Holy gently caress, he got paaaaaaaaaaid.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just don't understand why he's being hit so hard. Was his Pro day that terrible?

He's black but a pocket passer and not a runner, which itself confuses a lot of people. His strengths are his decision making, pocket presence, and intermediate accuracy, traits that don't lend themselves to highlight reals as much as being mobile of having a cannon arm and slinging it deep. He's not 6'4+ or a runner so he has "low upside." Being black also puts his "intangibles" and character in question by default.

He has legitimate flaws, but most of the media that's tearing him down are either harping on pointless poo poo, clearly untrue poo poo, or showing obvious double standards.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 7, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

That is some pretty silly spin!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Note that Sherman is still playing on his rookie deal this year, so this doesn't affect the Seahawks' 2014 cap in any way.

2015 will be a completely different story, of course.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chichevache posted:

Smart though. Schneider has been giving out four year contracts to most of our stars who could fade at any moment. Marshawn, Earl, and now Richard are all on four year contracts. I'm not a cap guru, but I find it fascinating that he is avoiding the six or seven year contracts that are so popular with other teams trying to spread out the cap hit. Whatever. Schneider has proven himself to be on of, if not the, best GMs in the league and he is infallible until I see something indicating otherwise.

I'm being slightly sarcastic, but if you read through the last year or two of TFF there has been considerable speculation that he would want Revis money, considering how he brought attention to himself by comparing himself favorably to Revis. The fact that he didn't want a $16,000,001 per year contract, regardless of how much of that would be impossible to achieve, is absolutely noteworthy considering how he is viewed by most fans. I for one am actually surprised that it wasn't a point of emphasis to be THE HIGHEST PAID CORNER IN LEAGUE HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! regardless of how much is guaranteed.

Yeah, it's not a bad deal especially considering what Revis got and the coming increases in cap space. It is refreshing to see someone not be overly concerned about being the highest paid player at their position. Even even keeled(read "lame") Flacco was hung up on getting the biggest paycheck ever.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Zerilan posted:

He's black but a pocket passer and not a runner, which itself confuses a lot of people. His strengths are his decision making, pocket presence, and intermediate accuracy, traits that don't lend themselves to highlight reals as much as being mobile of having a cannon arm and slinging it deep. He's not 6'4+ or a runner so he has "low upside." Being black also puts his "intangibles" and character in question by default.

He has legitimate flaws, but most of the media that's tearing him down are either harping on pointless poo poo, clearly untrue poo poo, or showing obvious double standards.

Eh, I don't think race has all that much to do with Teddy's draft stock. There's maybe still an embarrassing tendency for some pundits to assume a prospective black quarterback will be a good scrambler, but not nearly to the extent this forum tends to portray it. None of the knocks on Teddy had anything to do with his character (see: fake smile).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

That is some pretty silly spin!

Russell Wilson's intangibles contribute to his teammates taking a paycut to stay on the same field as him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
No they just had to do with made up issues like is body type, intelligence and hand size.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Brannock posted:

Andrew Brandt had a good writeup on the NFL draft from the front office's perspective: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-war-rooms/

Highlights:

quote:

In the 2003 post-draft chaos, one of our scouts yelled out, “Anyone want to sign this quarterback Romo? He’s from Wisconsin.” Crickets.

Probably wouldn't have happened either way unless he was a huge homer. Romo had a couple of UDFA offers on the table and went with Dallas because they had the worst group of quarterbacks at the time. :shepface:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

No they just had to do with made up issues like is body type, intelligence and hand size.

He is legitimately really skinny and by all accounts had an absolutely godawful pro day.

Rasczak posted:

Probably wouldn't have happened either way unless he was a huge homer. Romo had a couple of UDFA offers on the table and went with Dallas because they had the worst group of quarterbacks at the time. :shepface:

He grew up a big Favre fan so it might have. But yeah Denver actually offered him more money. And even with the terrible group of QBs they was going to get cut before Quincy got busted.

Even the when the Cowboys do something right it's by accident.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 7, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

:eyepop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Burger Trench posted:

Eh, I don't think race has all that much to do with Teddy's draft stock. There's maybe still an embarrassing tendency for some pundits to assume a prospective black quarterback will be a good scrambler, but not nearly to the extent this forum tends to portray it. None of the knocks on Teddy had anything to do with his character (see: fake smile).
A couple of months ago there were anonymous scouts saying that Teddy lacked intangibles and was not a high character guy so it depends on where it comes from, I guess.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Benne posted:

Note that Sherman is still playing on his rookie deal this year, so this doesn't affect the Seahawks' 2014 cap in any way.

2015 will be a completely different story, of course.

How is that so? What's the point of signing a contract if it doesn't kick in until the following year?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

John Brown posted:

How is that so? What's the point of signing a contract if it doesn't kick in until the following year?

Getting injured during the upcoming year?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Rich Eisen ‏@richeisen 1m
For the first time ever, draftees have chosen the music that plays over speakers as they walk to the stage in Radio City Music Hall.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That is going to be amazing.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

wandler20 posted:

Rich Eisen ā€¸@richeisen 1m
For the first time ever, draftees have chosen the music that plays over speakers as they walk to the stage in Radio City Music Hall.

I hope jff picks something really offensive.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Nelly #1

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Ludacris #1 spot from Austin powers

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Every player should want to be the highest paid ____ and take as much money as they can get. To malign someone for getting paid is really silly in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Not maximizing your earning potential is the dumb thing in a sport that can chew you out on a year to year basis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you think the league doesn't pre approve these songs then I have a bridge to sell you.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
drat, that's Haynesworth style guaranteed money.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

I'd come out to Toto's 'Africa'

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

drat. My dream scenario was him and Crabtree signing with the Raiders after this season. Along with Romo since the Cowboys would have drafted Manziel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

fat greasy puto posted:

Ludacris #1 spot from Austin powers

Clowney's walkout music please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC86yQAzaxg

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Schwack posted:

I hope jff picks something really offensive.
I'm legit betting on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7ENXz_mv4

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So Bennett, Thomas and Sherman all got paid.

How do the Seahawks pay Wilson now

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Febreeze posted:

Lifetime supply of bibles.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Febreeze posted:

He doesn't need to be paid, he does it for the love of the game.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Not with the first round 5th year option:q:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Febreeze posted:

With the 4th pick in the draft, acquired via trade, the Seattle Seahawks select....Quaterback, Blake Bortles, UCF

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

wandler20 posted:

Goddamn If I was a 4-5th round pick I would totally show up and just play the most braggadocio poo poo you have ever heard.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How many picks until Let the Bodies Hit the Floor

Dexo posted:

Goddamn If I was a 4-5th round pick I would totally show up and just play the most braggadocio poo poo you have ever heard.
I don't think they have a whole lot of people come onstage on the third day, it's pretty rare to have any player actually in the building at that point.

Sometimes they're live remotely, like when Quan Cosby had Bill Cosby with him for

some

reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MourningView posted:

He is legitimately really skinny and by all accounts had an absolutely godawful pro day.

Same height/weight as Carr, nothing negative said about him.

I posted a link to his full pro day video a few days ago. He wasn't absolutely godawful, just had a few wobbly passes at the beginning and missed a few throws.

• Locked thread