Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I could use a really awesome and decently long manga to read during downtime at work. Don't really care what genre, though I guess I've been in a mood for seinen as of late. For example, I just went through Knights of Sidonia which I liked a lot. I was thinking of picking up Vagabond again but it's been so long and I'm so far behind I might as well start over. Maybe Otoyomegatari or Vinland Saga? One thing that I really liked about Sidonia is that despite being very serious it had a lot of levity (basically everything involving Tsumugi). I guess that's another reason why I haven't mustered up the effort to get back into Vagabond, it's just so freaking dour. There's a good chance I've already read most of the obvious stuff but whatever can't hurt to ask either way.

Have you read either of Tsutomu Nihei's other manga series? BiOmega's a good six-volume read, and BLAME! has a ten-volume run (Volume 1's sometimes hard to get ahold of, but it's a little different to the rest of the series anyway). Both are really good cyberpunk manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sarcophallus posted:

I'd recommend Shin Angyo Onshi, which is a completed Manhwa, and absolutely worth reading. I don't know what your standards of work-safe are, but I think Shin Angyo Onshi should fit into them considering your own suggestions.
Sidonia was kind of skirting the line, but I'd say anything on that level would be fine. Something like Berserk however would be out.

I guess I'd be willing to jump back into Vagabond if I could at least rediscover where I left off. The last thing I remember was Musashi had slaughtered an entire dojo who ganged up on him. He then wandered around, and anyone who challenged him he would draw a circle in the ground and tell them not to enter it. He wound up fighting Kojiro's master and lost.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you read either of Tsutomu Nihei's other manga series? BiOmega's a good six-volume read, and BLAME! has a ten-volume run (Volume 1's sometimes hard to get ahold of, but it's a little different to the rest of the series anyway). Both are really good cyberpunk manga.
My impression of Nihei, at least with regards to Blame, was that his pre-Sidonia works were a bit on the incompressible side and a lot more serious in tone. How accurate would this be?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Sidonia was kind of skirting the line, but I'd say anything on that level would be fine. Something like Berserk however would be out.

I guess I'd be willing to jump back into Vagabond if I could at least rediscover where I left off. The last thing I remember was Musashi had slaughtered an entire dojo who ganged up on him. He then wandered around, and anyone who challenged him he would draw a circle in the ground and tell them not to enter it. He wound up fighting Kojiro's master and lost.
My impression of Nihei, at least with regards to Blame, was that his pre-Sidonia works were a bit on the incompressible side and a lot more serious in tone. How accurate would this be?

They're a lot more serious in tone, but not incomprehensible. They're very action-heavy and pretty easy to follow.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Blame! absolutely becomes incomprehensible before the manga is over. Stuff happens that has world-shaking consequences but it's never spelled out exactly what, how, or why, there are timeskips of thousands of years, it's a holy mess.

Not that this should stop you reading it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Blame! absolutely becomes incomprehensible before the manga is over. Stuff happens that has world-shaking consequences but it's never spelled out exactly what, how, or why, there are timeskips of thousands of years, it's a holy mess.

Not that this should stop you reading it.

The first timeskip comes from Killy having to sit and regenerate, and the second one comes from him having to trudge all the way to the very edge of the city. It's that big, and he was three thousand years out just getting to where he was at the manga's start. Though I do now remember it does get weird once the Level 9 Safeguard turns up. Been a while since I read through it all.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Speaking of Blame!/Tsutomo Nihei, I'm looking for other manga artists that do rough, sketchy, moody art. So far I'm really digging Freesia/Jiro Matsumoto and Dorohedoro/Q Hayashida.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the Knights of Sidonia anime worth watching? Yes/No please, I don't want to be spoiled.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

CommissarMega posted:

Is the Knights of Sidonia anime worth watching? Yes/No please, I don't want to be spoiled.

If you can get past the PS2-era-cutscene CGI, yeah. It's pretty good.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

This seasons attack on titan, sort of?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Between Yowamushi Pedal, that volleyball thing, Ace of the Diamond, and Baby Steps, what's the current sports anime big boss? I can probably watch them all eventually but wanna start with the strongest

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CommissarMega posted:

Yes. I caught up on the manga when it was suggested in the "good manga" thread (I'm not specifically an anime or manga fan) and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think these are spoilers but if you want a vague approximation of what kind of plot to expect (because the first episode can explain whether you're into the art or not) then hover this: Don't expect too many conspiracies or twists (they exist but aren't the focus) but mostly mech vs alien and boy vs social life plot and you'll probably enjoy it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Between Yowamushi Pedal, that volleyball thing, Ace of the Diamond, and Baby Steps, what's the current sports anime big boss? I can probably watch them all eventually but wanna start with the strongest

It's Ping Pong by a huge margin.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Do you like anime CG, yes/no? That'll be your answer.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ping-Pong and Haikyu.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ping Pong is heads and shoulders above all the other sports shows airing, and I say this as a dude who really loves Yowamushi Pedal, which is quite good but heck, it's not a Yuasa anime.

Haikyuu is quite standard but they do a pretty good job with the execution. It's not something I'm keeping up on but I'm having fun popping in an episode every now and then. It doesn't look like it's going to do anything new for the genre outside of sport choice but I'm enjoying the ride nonetheless.

Ace of the Diamond and Baby Steps are both decent, they just have the misfortune of being overshadowed by the other sports shows currently airing.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I want to rewatch e: re-live Gurren Lagann. How's the movie version, compared to the series?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mimir posted:

I want to rewatch e: re-live Gurren Lagann. How's the movie version, compared to the series?

The second one cuts out a lot of the fluff of the second half of the series and changes most of the final fight. Honestly I'd say the movie's worth watching for the new finale.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Also, check out Dorohedoro.

Seconding Dorohedoro. It owns and is easily my favorite fantasy-ish manga I've ever read. The setting/world is just incredibly unique in a sea of titles that just reuse the same fantasy tropes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mimir posted:

Like a lot of compilation movies, it works as long as you remember enough to be able to mentally fill in the blanks.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mimir posted:

The first one is OK and changes a few things around to add a cool new fight but it cuts a lot of cool stuff too. I liked the second one a lot more.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

The first one is OK and changes a few things around to add a cool new fight but it cuts a lot of cool stuff too. I liked the second one a lot more.

Do either of the Gurren Lagann movies change the part of the ending where Nia disappears? I always found that part of the ending unsatisfying because the whole show is about achieving the impossible, breaking through the heavens and so on and Simon is fine with ripping apart the fabric of space and time to rescue Nia from the anti spiral, then just rolls over and accepts it when she fades away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brasseye posted:

Do either of the Gurren Lagann movies change the part of the ending where Nia disappears? I always found that part of the ending unsatisfying because the whole show is about achieving the impossible, breaking through the heavens and so on and Simon is fine with ripping apart the fabric of space and time to rescue Nia from the anti spiral, then just rolls over and accepts it when she fades away.

No. It does go quite a bit more absurd than the series does though if you can believe it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Brasseye posted:

That's not what the show is about though. It's got problems but it's not stupid. It's a struggle for freedom above all else, not a struggle to become gods. Live Free or Die, the anime.

I thought the show got dull towards the end so I'll check out the movie.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

That's not what the show is about though. It's got problems but it's not stupid. It's a struggle for freedom above all else, not a struggle to become gods. Live Free or Die, the anime.

I thought the show got dull towards the end so I'll check out the movie.

That said, it wasn't necessary to the story in any way. She should have been written to continue existing without removing anything important, and all her disappearance really accomplishes is ~drama~, unless there's something thematic that I'm missing. I thought it was a rather poignant moment the first time I saw it, but the more thought about it the less interesting it was.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
A lot more time in the show was spent on things that weren't necessary in any way.

It was completely justified if only because it at least partly retroactively negated the whole "save the princess" aspect of Simon's struggle, which was really, really, incredibly dumb. But the intent was probably just to make the show end on a more somber tone and making Simon's sacrifice bigger so that he seems more heroic at the end. Regular storytelling stuff, not just ~drama~.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 7, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No, Japan has a problem with doing bittersweet bullshit for the sake of bittersweet bullshit.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'll take a tacked on bummer end over a tacked on happy end any day.

(It wasn't tacked on it was good)

The second movie is a big improvement over the first, but they both suffer the same problem, which is that the amazing gurren lagann robot becomes bigger robot becomes BIGGER robot becomes HOLY poo poo BIGGER ROBOT loses most of the punch when it's condensed so much. It comes so fast it's like "oh, okay" rather than "whaaat the gently caress!" As a refresher with some neat new scenes it's not bad though, but like most compilation movies it's complimentary material rather than a superior source text.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 8, 2014

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Captain Invictus posted:

No, Japan has a problem with doing bittersweet bullshit for the sake of bittersweet bullshit.

Happy ends are for suckers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Happy ends are for suckers.

I'll take a Texhnolyze ending any day if there's a good story/thematic reason for it, which really isn't the case here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blame! was pretty interesting but also incredibly hard for me to follow. My eyes just kind of glazed over by the end. Certainly some of that was probably by design but a lot of it just came down to the artwork being really hard to decipher. He's come a long way as of Sidonia, that's for sure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You fuckers. I wasn't ready for that moment in Clannad where Sanae finally starts openly mourning for Nagisa passing away. How the gently caress do you get choked up by seeing a fictional character deal with that kind of trauma? Kudos to you, Kikuko Inoue. :qq: It reminded me of the times that I used to watch Scrubs while practicing guitar or viola.

The good thing is that Lovely Complex pretty much always got me back in a better mood. Thanks for the recommendations!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Key sure likes to write emotional moments like goddamn haymakers to the gut. They hit hard.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

You fuckers. I wasn't ready for that moment in Clannad where Sanae finally starts openly mourning for Nagisa passing away. How the gently caress do you get choked up by seeing a fictional character deal with that kind of trauma? Kudos to you, Kikuko Inoue. :qq: It reminded me of the times that I used to watch Scrubs while practicing guitar or viola.

The good thing is that Lovely Complex pretty much always got me back in a better mood. Thanks for the recommendations!

After Story spends the last 6 or 7 episodes just punching you in the gut. It's the reason it and the first series together are my favorite anime series ever. Nothing else managed to get me so attached to the cast as that series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I had heard some good things from a few friends who actually played the VN and all, but nowadays I seldom have the time to sit in front of the computer to play games, especially given the fact that I have to practice music, so having it in anime format was pretty good. It still felt like a complete haymaker to the point that I had to stop practicing guitar a few times.

jonjon: You recommended me a few games, didn't you? Were any of those games on the Vita? I'm itching to buy one so I'll be ready for those long flights and I kinda want to stop playing on the 3DS, so it would be cool to have some of them goon recommendations around.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In CLANNAD's case you're probably better off watching the anime anyway; the VN is just too long and too convoluted in structure. For the most part the anime is a distillation of the good parts of the VN, with arguably better musical direction and a pretty great performance by Yuuichi Nakamura (Tomoya is unvoiced in the game).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wark Say posted:

I had heard some good things from a few friends who actually played the VN and all, but nowadays I seldom have the time to sit in front of the computer to play games, especially given the fact that I have to practice music, so having it in anime format was pretty good. It still felt like a complete haymaker to the point that I had to stop practicing guitar a few times.

jonjon: You recommended me a few games, didn't you? Were any of those games on the Vita? I'm itching to buy one so I'll be ready for those long flights and I kinda want to stop playing on the 3DS, so it would be cool to have some of them goon recommendations around.

Sweet Fuse is available on the Vita.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Personally I liked the CLANNAD visual novel, but at the same time, like Nate said, it's a huge glut of content. I think I had about 30 or so hours logged and I was maybe a third done with the routes, and most of the ones I had finished were the short ones like Misae's and the Sunoharas'. Each of the primary girls' routes is about 10 hours depending on how fast you read, Nagisa's being considerably longer because of the After Story portion of her route. At the same time there are some things that are somewhat interesting that are only in the VN, like Kyou's route having an alternate ending where you stay with Ryou. You don't get the magic orb that says you completed the route, therefore unlocking the true ending, but it's a thing that exists. Also I kinda tend to enjoy really getting in the protagonist's head, and as much as you do it in the series itself, you get to hear a LOT more of what Tomoya thinks about stuff in the VN.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

That said, it wasn't necessary to the story in any way. She should have been written to continue existing without removing anything important, and all her disappearance really accomplishes is ~drama~, unless there's something thematic that I'm missing. I thought it was a rather poignant moment the first time I saw it, but the more thought about it the less interesting it was.

I thought it was thematically appropriate :shrug: The whole point of the show is sort of that willpower can overcome mortal/physical limitations, and you never die if your memory lives on and inspires others, see Kamina. She lives on in Simon's and everyone else's memory. I think they could have kept her around, but I see why they killed her off. I think they probably felt (correctly, IMO) that having her live would cheapen the sacrifices of people in the final battle like Lordgenome and Kittan. I don't think the writers considered Nia as important a character as lots of people who bitch about the ending do. Same goes for Simon becoming a wandering old man or whatever, the point is that his spirit will never die because it's inspired the next generation, regardless of what happens to him physically.

But yeah basically I feel like people who complain about her death are missing most of the point of the show. The sacrifices are what gave the show its emotional weight, including Kamina, Kittan, Lordgenome, those other guys, etc. The idea that 'gently caress you you can never beat humanity because our spirit lives on forever' is the whole point, it's not just Simon getting the girl or whatever. It was supposed to be bittersweet. I also did not feel super attached to Nia as a character and thought she was sort of boring, personally, so there's that.

Of course these aren't super serious themes, and in fact border on corny as hell; The show is about robots beating the poo poo out of each other. But they are there, and they're coherent.

Captain Invictus posted:

I fail to see the problem here :getin:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 9, 2014

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is Lucky Star any good if you're going in knowing that it's geared to neckbeards?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Lucky Star any good if you're going in knowing that it's geared to neckbeards?

I thought it was dull and unfunny compared to similar otaku-humor moe shows, but humor is super-subjective sooo... I dunno. It does have a catchy OP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Agreed with the above, really the only characters I found funny at all were the Lucky Channel duo, because there was actually some rapid fire comedy and more typical visual gags and whatnot. Maybe just give something like Nichijou a shot if you haven't? Comedy show featuring high school girls with way more humor in it in my opinion.

• Locked thread