Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I will not dispute that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I will grant that Reddit is a useful aggregator, but god drat is it full of idiots making a ton of white noise.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I hate Reddit's layout more than anything. Even ignoring the pedophiles, bronies, and lovely posters, I can't stand to browse Reddit. I have so much trouble reading through comment trees to find the comment I'm looking for; why the gently caress should I care what 8 different people have to say in a nominally 1-on-1 discussion?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I will grant that Reddit is a useful aggregator, but god drat is it full of idiots making a ton of white noise.

I totally agree. I'm not defending Reddit, I'm defending SOE's choice to use it to market a game. Even idiots have $50.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Well, apparently SOE is implementing a neat melee system. I won't bother linking stuff, but the short of the long is that combos are apparently a thing, zombies that jump on you can be pushed back at the expense of stamina, and overall, it seems like this will be more than just "aim at head, repeatedly press mouse button to swing weapon." Which is indubitably a good thing in my book.

Silentplanet
Oct 14, 2012

I wonder if this will be any good or if it will be just a slightly less lovely version of infestation.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I think it goes without saying that we are all wondering that.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014
They would have to intentionally try to make it that lovely.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

Dark Helmut posted:

Of course they could, but from my perspective it's a reach thing. You reach more people via reddit than you could by making your own forum, putting people through the pain in the rear end of creating yet another login before they are sure they want to invest time in the game.

Anyway, it's a total guess on my part so who knows.

The PlanetSide 2 team have always seemed more active on reddit than on their own forums, I guess because the forums are a poo poo hole and they know it. I'll take /r/planetside over the official PlanetSide 2 forums any day and I'm okay with H1Z1 going the same route.

Malifaux
May 9, 2014
I'm looking forward to this game... When it's complete.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Bit of a dearth of news lately. Apparently a big announcement is coming this week, though. That said, knowing game development, it will be something like "Hey, check out this awesome new weather system." For people keeping track, the "4" of the 4-6 weeks until early access has passed. It's unclear as to whether or not they'll stay on schedule, but I think most of us were probably assuming that they'd run at least a little bit late. I guess we'll see.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Bit of a dearth of news lately. Apparently a big announcement is coming this week, though. That said, knowing game development, it will be something like "Hey, check out this awesome new weather system." For people keeping track, the "4" of the 4-6 weeks until early access has passed. It's unclear as to whether or not they'll stay on schedule, but I think most of us were probably assuming that they'd run at least a little bit late. I guess we'll see.

Heard that. I wonder what theyre going to announce? Are they going to have an h1z1 presentation at e3? Or is that mostly a console show now?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Apparently the E3 thing was largely rumor, but the H1Z1 community manager just posted that H1Z1 will be featured at SOE Live, along with all of SOE's other big titles. SOE Live is in August, though, so it's hard to say if this has any significance in terms of early release.

E: With regard to SOE Live, the community manager said...

quote:

The "hands-on time" statement was not indicative of when the game will be released or even in early access. It was purely saying that H1Z1 will be at SOE Live and people can play it there.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 12, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Smedley's Twitter posted:

H1z1 surprise Thursday

Underwhelming announcement? Early access date? Early access is being postponed!!! Surprise!!!

Edit: More from Smed: "Watching a rehearsal for a huge surprise we are unleashing on Thursday" aka "We're scrapping PC development of H1Z1 and going exclusively to PS4!"

Clarification -- Smed tweeted a week ago that early access wasn't happening "next week" (aka this week), so it's almost certainly not that. Therefore underwhelming announcement or stream of devs doing stuff badly.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 14, 2014

Malifaux
May 9, 2014
Why is poo poo always need to be postponed? It's like as if the devs took a couple days sick leave and nothing's been done. Who ever created postpone should burn in hell.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's almost like software is complex and somewhat unpredictable.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
The only way this game has a hope in hell is if the zombies are brutally difficult and staying alive is a real struggle with larger groups of players attracting more zombie attention and player groups clash out of the need for resources rather than just because it is PvP.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Malifaux posted:

Why is poo poo always need to be postponed? It's like as if the devs took a couple days sick leave and nothing's been done. Who ever created postpone should burn in hell.

Calm down, buddy. Sounds like you're new to the wonderful scene of video game development.

Zvim posted:

The only way this game has a hope in hell is if the zombies are brutally difficult and staying alive is a real struggle with larger groups of players attracting more zombie attention and player groups clash out of the need for resources rather than just because it is PvP.

See, I might buy into this concern if games like Rust, DayZ, and WarZ were struggling, but they're not. People bitch about the development pace, sure, but they still play. If SOE can deliver a better product (and it's pretty clear that they can), they'll be fine.

E: Not from any official announcements, but someone mentioned that SOE has this API thing that works for PS2 and EQ, and could probably be integrated with H1Z1. It's all above my level of technical understanding, but it seems like it could lead to some interesting opportunities for sperging about the game.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 14, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

More cryptic tweets from Smedley:

"Tomorrow ( Thursday ) at 11am Pacific we will be doing something very special on the H1Z1 twitch channel. http://twitch.tv/h1z1"

"It's a surprise. It's entirely live. Its either going to be epic awesome or epic fail. Either way it will be worth tuning into"

"Either way it's not going to bore you."

If he doesn't take this chance to troll the everloving poo poo out of Reddit, I will be so disappointed.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Evan Lahti posted some thoughts on this over at PC Gamer

quote:

This demo didn’t give me too much to go on, but my gut tells me that H1Z1 will probably end up playing like a DayZ that’s driven less by the fidelity of Arma 2’s world and weapon ballistics and more by crafting, building, and player-generated content.

I'm really hoping they make an effort to make weapon ballistics vaguely realistic.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

H2Eau posted:

I'm really hoping they make an effort to make weapon ballistics vaguely realistic.

In the first stream, if I recall correctly, they said that they had the means by which to make ballistics realistic, and stated that they would implement such systems as long as they don't start making things "unfun." To that end, I don't know how much you have to worry about. In my mind, claiming that DayZ emphasizes ballistics fidelity, since the standalone has, since release, included artificially-induced spread on all weapons, is meaningless. The engine might be capable to modelling ballistics really well, but DayZ certainly doesn't take advantage of it. It's probably more accurate to say that H1Z1 won't be as restrained by its engine as DayZ is, since SOE can twist Forgelight to do whatever they need it to, while Bohemia is clearly struggling to get the engine they're using for DayZ to accommodate basic features. Then, on top of that, SOE is adding all this other stuff that DayZ has yet to really make a move toward.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

See, I might buy into this concern if games like Rust, DayZ, and WarZ were struggling, but they're not. People bitch about the development pace, sure, but they still play. If SOE can deliver a better product (and it's pretty clear that they can), they'll be fine.

Sony has history of delivering better products in the MMO market? Since when?

Do you work for Sony? You seem to be white knighting them in this thread.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Zvim posted:

Sony has a history of making games that aren't as boring and terrible as DayZ

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Sony has a history of making games that aren't as boring and terrible as DayZ

DayZ is still in alpha and has sold 2 million copies of the game. They were quite clear in saying 'We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.'

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zvim posted:

Planetside 2

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Zvim posted:

DayZ is still in alpha and has sold 2 million copies of the game. They were quite clear in saying 'We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.'

It's been abandoned

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Zvim posted:

No, Valve is very clear in saying that . DayZ is quite clear in being developed by a drama queen who gets his feeling hurt about any little criticism and whine about not being able to go on while vacationing with your money.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Zvim posted:

I would not mind working for SOE, but I do find it amusing that you think I'm white knighting them. I'm not asserting that SOE has a history of delivering good MMO products, and quite frankly, I don't really care. What I do care about is the evidence that exists regarding H1Z1's success relative to other games in the genre. You absolutely cannot deny that the evidence, so far, suggests that SOE will be able to produce a more polished, more accessible, more feature-complete, and less buggy game than other developers working in the genre have been. SOE could totally gently caress this up*, but that doesn't seem especially likely. Or, at least, they won't gently caress it up as badly as other games, like DayZ, have. I mean, hell, just the other day we found out that Bohemia was hacked, and now people who build cheats have access to the game's debugger or something. In any case, it's just yet another entry in the journal that documents how painfully incompetent developers in this genre have been.

*I'm really curious how today's announcement will play out. They've hyped the poo poo out of whatever they're announcing in half an hour, and right now, their Twitch stream is showing a splash screen for "Survivor Radio." SOE keeps making stupid comments like "We're unleashing it!" and no one has any loving clue what it means. It seems unlikely that they'll announce early access, but there's enough evidence to foster hope that they will, and an utter lack of evidence suggesting anything else. And quite frankly, given how much time they've devoted to hyping this, I'm not sure what they think they can produce that will measure up to the excitement they've generated. My guess is that they're going to do something horribly disappointing because they, like apparently literally all other video game developers, have no idea how to deal with the public. The public is stupid and does not do well with vague announcements.

In any case, we'll know in half an hour. Still hoping for a master troll from Smedley.

E: :lol: Smedley just popped by a Reddit thread and confirmed that today will bring neither a release date or an official website and that "it will take 10 seconds for you to decide if you want to stay tuned in." Calling a lovely LARP. Jesus Christ, SOE.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 15, 2014

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
As a reminder, that live stream should be starting right about now.

http://www.twitch.tv/h1z1

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

This is so cheesy.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Raioner posted:

This is so cheesy.

Yeah. This is really, really bad. I don't know why the gently caress they would decide to allocate resources to something like this.

E: I don't like you, David David Kennedy. You have a dumb name.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

The ticker at the bottom is pretty entertaining though, The thing with twitch controller google's self driving car was funny.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

It's a little cheesy but I'm enjoying it. Reminds me of listening to a Nightvale podcast.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
:godwin: Nazis did it, phew

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Noirex posted:

It's a little cheesy but I'm enjoying it. Reminds me of listening to a Nightvale podcast.

Cheese is fine. I'm kinda enjoying it as well.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

So apparently this is a thing:

Apparently this was taken down really quickly, and no one knows whether or not it's legitimate.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Reddit compares Star Citizen to H1Z1:

quote:

It's great, Star Citizen has done a lot of lore stuff throughout the whole process and it's been awesome to establish lore before the game launches.

:lol:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The more I read about this the more I really want it to come out on the PS4 since I don't have a gaming PC anymore. Running around with goons and/or Starfleet Dental blowing poo poo up would be glorious.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tide posted:

The more I read about this the more I really want it to come out on the PS4 since I don't have a gaming PC anymore. Running around with goons and/or Starfleet Dental blowing poo poo up would be glorious.

Should of put that PS4 money into a PC :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Was that Matthew McConaughey on that last part?

• Locked thread