Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

(teaser site: https://www.h1z1.com/)

H1Z1 is Sony Online Entertainment's upcoming zombie sandbox MMO. It will feature a persistent world where players can build, craft and survive; this is the likely the game SOE were referring to when saying they had a project planned for all disheartened Star Wars Galaxies players. The question now is, what makes this game different or better than DayZ?

Playable alpha is confirmed to be out in 4-6 weeks time. This times nicely with SOE's new all access plan, which could very well end up being a requirement to getting into the alpha early. If Everquest Landmark is anything to go by, there will probably be packages or pledges that unlock the alpha/beta.

quote:

Devs have confirmed:
  • First Person or Third Person shooter
  • Zombie Survival
  • Night is dark and full of terrors
  • Player versus Player at it's core.
  • More than just zombies in the world
  • Base Building, Town building, Fortress creation
  • Can burn down things others build.
  • Lots of crafting. Probably the biggest thing about the game.
  • Vehicles are already in. Possibility of aircraft in the future.
  • Based off the United States.
  • If you die, you lose your gear. It stays on your corpse.
  • "No skills or levels".
  • "Thousands of players". I'm willing to bet this will be larger, playercount wise, than planetside 2.
  • There will be Hunting.
  • Early Access ($20ish, on steam) in 4-6 weeks.

"you seriously don't need to spend a dime. We're still figuring out the monetization but we will telegraph our plans early and let people comment and we'll listen if they don't like something and come to a place where people feel good about it." -Smed, in this thread

:siren:Devs have released a 5 minute gameplay video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneZYriSbG4:siren:

It definitely has a Planetside 2 vibe about it, even the death screen is identical to the one you see when you die in PS2. The main selling point so far seems to the engine, which is obviously much less clunky, buggy and heavy as the Arma engine used for DayZ. On the other hand, people are saying that the gameplay looks too fluid to work as a survival game.

Screenshots

Margaret Thatcher fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I'm so utterly bored of zombies.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kettlepip posted:

I'm so utterly bored of zombies.

yeah, the gameplay video looked really stiff, and everything you mentioned has been done before in like 500 other survival Sims released in the last year.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
It exists already just not on this scale, just like PS2 is a regular BF-like shooter but on a much larger scale.

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
I don't know what to put here.
Sounds like this could be a fun game if you play with a small group.

I guess weŽll just have to see how it turns out.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Margaret Thatcher posted:

(teaser site: https://www.h1z1.com/)

H1Z1 is Sony Online Entertainment's upcoming zombie sandbox MMO. It will feature a persistent world where players can build, craft and survive; this is the likely the game SOE were referring to when saying they had a project planned for all disheartened Star Wars Galaxies players. The question now is, what makes this game different or better than DayZ?

Playable alpha is confirmed to be out in 4-6 weeks time. This times nicely with SOE's new all access plan, which could very well end up being a requirement to getting into the alpha early. If Everquest Landmark is anything to go by, there will probably be packages or pledges that unlock the alpha/beta.

:siren:Devs have released a 5 minute gameplay video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneZYriSbG4:siren:

It definitely has a Planetside 2 vibe about it, even the death screen is identical to the one you see when you die in PS2. The main selling point so far seems to the engine, which is obviously much less clunky, buggy and heavy as the Arma engine used for DayZ. On the other hand, people are saying that the gameplay looks too fluid to work as a survival game.

Screenshots

Yawn...

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
I'm all for big scale, so this could be interesting. Especially if it follows PS2's financial model. As long as there's a big PvP element to it all, I don't mind a few zombies in the way.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Its the scale, the trading and all that stuff that sets this apart from the other smallish zombie survival games. Im all for it if they dont gently caress it up SOE style. Its like a well done rust or dayz. By a proper dev house with nearly limitless resources. IMO its the future of MMOS.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I need to see the crafting system in depth. The whole "zombie" aesthetic is overdone lately, but if they decide to go "mutant not undead" virus gimmick, then they can add virus mutated bears, wolverines, carnivorous deer, and atlatl-using mountain lions. You know - monsters.

If it is just zombies, it will suffer for the shallowness of having those as the main PVE opponents. Zombies are not too interesting. Though, if the crafting is SWG-like for weapons and Landmark-ish for buildings, it still might be a fun bit of PVP.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
I can ignore the zombie part if they just make a great survival MMO with crafting, building and trading at its core.

Republicanus posted:

Though, if the crafting is SWG-like for weapons and Landmark-ish for buildings, it still might be a fun bit of PVP.

Supposedly, it won't be using any of the voxel-based technology from Landmark/EQN, so I'm curious how building will work in Hizzy.

And I hope they don't take inspiration from Landmark for the crafting, because Landmark crafting is dumb and boring.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You know I find it kind of strange they didn't try to go for the PvE cooperative sandbox zombie niche. To be honest I enjoy the concept of DayZ but I do not enjoy the PvP aspects at all. A massive cooperative PvE zombie/shooter of any type MMO would be pretty neat. It's nice to just sit down, chill out, and play a cooperative shooter for a few hours with tons of people. Arma II's Domination game type is a shining example of the concept. Actually just make Arma II's domination but at night with zombies and no tanks/jets/helicopters/othercheapbullshit.

If there's a massive open world co-op non-PvP zombie shooter out there someone please link me it because I want to go play it immediately. There was a neat Arma mod pre-DayZ that was like that but I can't remember the name of it.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

wretched_gavek posted:

yeah, the gameplay video looked really stiff, and everything you mentioned has been done before in like 500 other survival Sims released in the last year.

Video is from January and they said they were going to stream the current version next week.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Extra posted:

You know I find it kind of strange they didn't try to go for the PvE cooperative sandbox zombie niche. To be honest I enjoy the concept of DayZ but I do not enjoy the PvP aspects at all. A massive cooperative PvE zombie/shooter of any type MMO would be pretty neat. It's nice to just sit down, chill out, and play a cooperative shooter for a few hours with tons of people. Arma II's Domination game type is a shining example of the concept. Actually just make Arma II's domination but at night with zombies and no tanks/jets/helicopters/othercheapbullshit.

If there's a massive open world co-op non-PvP zombie shooter out there someone please link me it because I want to go play it immediately. There was a neat Arma mod pre-DayZ that was like that but I can't remember the name of it.

The game you are looking for is called Defiance. There are PvP options but it is a PvE-centric game. No open world PvP with looting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Buy the Elite Soldier pack! You spawn with a SoulBound M16 with 6 Soulbound full magazines. Get that early jump on that bandit that killed you. Only 3000 station cash!

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Well thy gotta make their money somehow.

In all honesty though the latest games like PS2 they did a good job on the F2P. Its there but you really dont need to buy poo poo to play. Its definitely not P2W.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Welp. Preencleve will be involved so that slightly spoils it.

And you know zombies are played out when they make a fotm mmo out of it.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

CupBoy posted:

I can ignore the zombie part if they just make a great survival MMO with crafting, building and trading at its core.

This is what I am interested in. Does anyone play DayZ because of the amazing zombie fighting? Its the survival aspect and human encounters that is key and putting it on a persistent MMO scale has been the one thing that I have been wanting from these games.

I have a lot of hesitation with this game but I'm glad someone is putting this into the mmo space now and not have to wait a decade for one of the other possible vaporware zombie mmos to limp out of the gate.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
Seriously, who cares if there are a million zombie MMOs if none of them have been executed properly? Lighten up a bit, goons. There are some promising concepts here that we may look forward to. I agree, it has been tried more than a handful of times recently but nothing worth poopsocking over. Hopefully, they can pull off a much more sandboxy game with more emphasis on crafting and building and meaningful PvP like they've planned. If Landmark is any indication, SOE is moving in the right direction. I'm at least hopeful and interested to see what H1Z1 becomes.

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
I was just joking with a buddy that this would be PS2 but with zombies, and it says in the video that it on a "modified PS2 engine".

poo poo looks boring and played out. "You'll have to find batteries and car parts and fuel", which sounds exactly like Dayz. Wait, that is exactly DayZ.

I wonder if Sony will ever figure out that a lot of people are OK without having to pay $70 + $15 a month for "persistent worlds" and "emergent AI" and whatever other bullshit buzzwords this guy coughed up. I feel like they operate based only on the idea that EVERY game concept can be turned into an MMO somehow and then monetized for a monthly fee/pay-to-play scheme? Does anyone really think that making Dayz into an MMO really adds content, value, or a unique experience to a game? Are half a dozen 225^2km maps not big enough? I can already raid the poo poo out of other players from my permanent base in Origins and have been able to for literally years. I've not touched Epoch or any of the others, but I know you can do the same thing there.

Edit:

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

This is what I am interested in. Does anyone play DayZ because of the amazing zombie fighting? Its the survival aspect and human encounters that is key and putting it on a persistent MMO scale has been the one thing that I have been wanting from these games.

I have a lot of hesitation with this game but I'm glad someone is putting this into the mmo space now and not have to wait a decade for one of the other possible vaporware zombie mmos to limp out of the gate.

Do you really not find human interaction/encounters in DayZ? Is this really a problem?

Strom Thurmond fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 10, 2014

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Famethrowa posted:

Welp. Preencleve will be involved so that slightly spoils it.

And you know zombies are played out when they make a fotm mmo out of it.

Pretty much this.

"Another zombie survival game that lets you and you pals craft guns and make wooden sheds outta trees and .. ZZZZZZzzzzzz..... ZOmbie!!!"

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Strom Thurmond posted:

Do you really not find human interaction/encounters in DayZ? Is this really a problem?

I don't think you understood my sentence.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

When I heard about the sandbox game the last thing I was expecting was a zombie game. Now that it's been announced I can't see how I expected anything but a zombie sandbox.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I'm inclined to be optimistic about this. All the developers that have tried this before seemed to lack resources and/or know-how, so it's really unsurprising that the genre has been generally disappointing. This may largely be a rehash of ideas that others have done, but the others generally have failed to execute the ideas properly. If SOE can do it right, and it seems they have the resources to, then great.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
I want the kind of gameplay that DayZ and these zombie survival games encourage, but not... zombies. I want to be able to play a FPS with friends, ambush groups of players, set up camp, etc. Remove kebab.

I saw Rust but it seems more focused on the 'lets craft stuff and build a house' vein, almost like Minecraft. Maybe this will scratch an itch?? I'm not very optimistic. :smith:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is a late april fools joke right? Aren't we done with zombies yet?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

AuxPriest posted:

I want the kind of gameplay that DayZ and these zombie survival games encourage, but not... zombies. I want to be able to play a FPS with friends, ambush groups of players, set up camp, etc. Remove kebab.

I saw Rust but it seems more focused on the 'lets craft stuff and build a house' vein, almost like Minecraft. Maybe this will scratch an itch?? I'm not very optimistic. :smith:

I'm inclined to think it could net that kind of gameplay. Zombies will be an issue, but I don't really think they'll be so obnoxious and omnipresent as to really get in the way of PvP action.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Given's SOE's record with catching hackers in Planetside 2, I cant help but think this game is going to turn out like Warz aka infestation survivor stories.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Peechka posted:

In all honesty though the latest games like PS2 they did a good job on the F2P. Its there but you really dont need to buy poo poo to play. Its definitely not P2W.

It may not be P2W like some third-rate Russian browser MMO but I would not consider most of PS2's model to be reasonably priced at all. The default XP gain is terrible. The subscription is tiered, so unless you pay for 6 months in advance you will have to wait that same amount of time while subscribed to reach the full benefit level. Most items (not just cosmetics) are expensive, even more so now that SOE has stopped double/triple sales on their currency. It's superficially F2P like so many other games in that category. They gotta make money, yeah, but I am certain they excluded a lot of people with their pricing scheme. The game's community isn't small just because of gameplay and technical issues it's had.

I enjoy PS2 a lot, but fool me once, yada yada

folgore fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 11, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Yeah... I don't think a Day Z clone is what SWG players would have in mind, SOE.

Maybe they meant something else...? Guys?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

folgore posted:

It may not be P2W like some third-rate Russian browser MMO but I would not consider most of PS2's model to be reasonably priced at all. The default XP gain is terrible. The subscription is tiered, so unless you pay for 6 months in advance you will have to wait that same amount of time while subscribed to reach the full benefit level. Most items (not just cosmetics) are expensive, even more so now that SOE has stopped double/triple sales on their currency. It's superficially F2P like so many other games in that category. They gotta make money, yeah, but I am certain they excluded a lot of people with their pricing scheme. The game's community isn't small just because of gameplay and technical issues it's had.

I enjoy PS2 a lot, but fool me once, yada yada

Ummm, dude, PS2 is completely free and you can enjoy 100% of the game FOR FREE. Bitching that you cant get hats and 50%-75% more exp gain for free is not the same thing as P2W. Tell me what you cant do in Planetside 2 that a subscriber that drops $100 a month on the game has, of course other than higher exp gain and hats and camo?

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I don't think you understood my sentence.

You're right. It sounded like you felt that the most important part of the game was the player interactions (not the zombies), and that somehow an MMO would add more player interaction to the game, which DayZ: SA is missing sufficient amounts of.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Peechka posted:

Ummm, dude, PS2 is completely free and you can enjoy 100% of the game FOR FREE. Bitching that you cant get hats and 50%-75% more exp gain for free is not the same thing as P2W. Tell me what you cant do in Planetside 2 that a subscriber that drops $100 a month on the game has, of course other than higher exp gain and hats and camo?

Buy every weapon immediately?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Peechka posted:

You're an idiot that can't read.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

folgore posted:

You're an idiot that can't read.

I read your poo poo and understood it perfectly fine. Bitching about prices of hats and subs in a game where you don't have to buy anything to enjoy 100% of it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

folgore posted:

It may not be P2W like some third-rate Russian browser MMO

Peechka posted:

Bitching that you cant get hats and 50%-75% more exp gain for free is not the same thing as P2W.

Peechka posted:

I read your poo poo and understood it perfectly fine.

Clearly not! He never said it was P2W, just that the prices are absurd in PS2 (and they are :ssh:)

Also XP bonuses for subscribers, while not awful, are not insubstantial considering that it lets someone, in the same time frame, become statistically more powerful than someone who didn't pay in what is supposed to be a competitive game.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 11, 2014

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

folgore posted:

They gotta make money, yeah, but I am certain they excluded a lot of people with their pricing scheme.
Way more people would get priced out with a subscription model IMO

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Peechka posted:

Really depends on how they do it. When it effects PvP, it's definitely Pay to Win if someone can come in, buy a pack, and have an edge up on everyone else. The beauty of DayZ is that none of that exists, you need to find it, it's valuable, and when you lose it it sucks.

Hopefully it is just skins, because the survivor portion of this is what makes these games fun.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 11, 2014

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Zombies again, how surprising. When will some hack writer write a twilight-esque novel about teenage zombies who are just misunderstood so we can get over this poo poo?

Isn't this what State of Decay was supposed to be but less "build anything"?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Clearly not! He never said it was P2W, just that the prices are absurd in PS2 (and they are :ssh:)

Also XP bonuses for subscribers, while not awful, are not insubstantial considering that it lets someone, in the same time frame, become statistically more powerful than someone who didn't pay in what is supposed to be a competitive game.

What? the passive cert gain? Cause, correct me if Im wrong, but levels dont mean dick in PS2. And either way the point still stands you dont need to buy anything in PS2 to be a competitive player and contribute. Most of the starting weapons are good, others can be purchased by certs you gain. But any game that you want to play at the top of the competitive ladder and spend inordinate amounts of time in, I feel you owe to buy some poo poo or sub in anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I hope you haven't actually invested considerable time in PS2, otherwise your lack of basic knowledge about the game is really sad.

It's 2014, a free to play western MMO not being "PAY TO WIN" isn't a huge accomplishment. Nor does it mean that game's F2P model is actually good. Please for the sake of this genre, raise your standards a little.

• Locked thread